ADVERTISEMENT

“Franklin has to be the guy” for USC - CBS Sports

President Stache

Heisman Candidate
Dec 4, 2010
"They're comparable jobs, but I think USC has a slightly higher ceiling and I think Franklin's probably hit his ceiling at PSU after eight years," Jeyarajah wrote. "He's done a heck of a job but it's time for something new."

CBS sports

Makes sense for Franklin, maybe not USC

Reactions: doubleAA's
"They're comparable jobs, but I think USC has a slightly higher ceiling and I think Franklin's probably hit his ceiling at PSU after eight years," Jeyarajah wrote. "He's done a heck of a job but it's time for something new."

CBS sports

Makes sense for Franklin, maybe not USC

USC has a massively higher ceiling. that's a ridiculous comment. recruiting in the PA footprint is terrible. that's one of 10 issues that are worse for PSU.

here's me as JF:

at PSU: "come to PSU where you can live in the middle of nowhere and be a god on campus in a town with nothing but students and eggheads."

at USC: "you like NIL? LA is the entertainment capital of the world. I can get you a meeting with Kanye, and the heads of every major entertainment company on the planet. oh, and there are hot chics on every corner. and it's sunny and 75 degrees every day of your life."

USC has a massively higher ceiling. that's a ridiculous comment. recruiting in the PA footprint is terrible. that's one of 10 issues that are worse for PSU.

here's me as JF:

at PSU: "come to PSU where you can live in the middle of nowhere and be a god on campus in a town with nothing but students and eggheads."

at USC: "you like NIL? LA is the entertainment capital of the world. I can get you a meeting with Kanye, and the heads of every major entertainment company on the planet. oh, and there are hot chics on every corner. and it's sunny and 75 degrees every day of your life."
He could also be better positioned to attract the assistant coaches with the hottest wives at USC.

Why would USC want Milkdud(aka-4th Quarter Franklin), who is a mediocre, at best, game day coach? I thought that is why Helton was just fired. Any of the mentioned potential candidates should be able to get top recruits, which is the only reason Milkdud has survived in Creepy Valley, as Jimmies and Joes have overcomed his Xs and Os(although he did hire a Good OC this year). If the Wisconsin QB does not overthrow his WR late in the opening game, Milkdud would have added another 4th Quarter Loss against a less talented team to his resume, and remain winless versus Top 15 Teams on the road(then again maybe Wisconsin was ranked too high to start the season anyways).

I think since the USC AD came from Cincinnati that Luke Fickell will be their main target or possibly Matt Campbell will get a serious look(although the loss to Iowa and the close Win over Northern Iowa the prior week mighti have tarnished his Rep a little as a Top Coach), unless they can lure Chris Peterson out of retirement.

I have a feeling that Urban Meyer will be frustrated coaching Jacksonville this year, and if USC contacts his agent, he will listen, although no idea his contract and buyout option with Jacksonville, or if the Team Owner of Jacksonville also concurs after one season that things are not working out, and let’s Meyer out of his contract. Urban Meyer would be the best option though if available-IMO(although his past history of leaving jobs is a ding on his reputation).

Would be funny if they asked Lane Kiffin to return after leaving him at the airport last time, but he seems to have become a Better Coach after his time with the Nictator at Bama, even though he was being verbally abused by him a lot of games where the tv camera would catch the Nictator screaming at Lane.

Bring back Paul Hackett-Fight On!

Last edited:
Reactions: PittFanDan17

here's me as JF:

I think the writer was obviously being nice

I happen to think USC is the best job in the country

Which shows how inept the decision makers there have been.

If they continue to blunder, they will hire Franklin and likely be looking again in 4 years.

Definitely agree. It is the UCLA basketball for football.

One other thing to remember about USC: They have survived three of the worst Athletic Director hires in history: Mike Garrett, Pat Haden and, on an interim basis, Lynn Swann. Clearly, they should never hire another former football player as AD.

What Garrett did to USC’s whole Athletic Department may never be matched for incompetence. The man who hired Paul Hackett as football coach also turned the rest of the program into trash. Remember when USC had top baseball programs, volleyball teams, water polo, etc.? Those days are history. His successors have been so busy trying to restore football and basketball that they have left the other sports in the mess Garrett created. UCLA moved into the vacuum to become a power in many of the minor sports.

One other thing to remember about USC: They have survived three of the worst Athletic Director hires in history: Mike Garrett, Pat Haden and, on an interim basis, Lynn Swann. Clearly, they should never hire another former football player as AD.

What Garrett did to USC’s whole Athletic Department may never be matched for incompetence. The man who hired Paul Hackett as football coach also turned the rest of the program into trash. Remember when USC had top baseball programs, volleyball teams, water polo, etc.? Those days are history. His successors have been so busy trying to restore football and basketball that they have left the other sports in the mess Garrett created. UCLA moved into the vacuum to become a power in many of the minor sports.

For sure that was similar to what Pitt did to itself. We were once a national powerhouse as well. USC got some of that back, but still reeling.

here's me as JF:

I thought his kids had health issues and lived part of the time in a warmer climate because of it? I think he would do very well there and wouldn't have to leave a 30 mile radius to clean up in recruiting. But I don't think USC has the cash to make him the highest paid coach in the country which is the only way I see him leaving the nitwits.

I thought his kids had health issues and lived part of the time in a warmer climate because of it? I think he would do very well there and wouldn't have to leave a 30 mile radius to clean up in recruiting. But I don't think USC has the cash to make him the highest paid coach in the country which is the only way I see him leaving the nitwits.
USC has cash. Just ask Lori Loughlin.

I don't know . Didnt P.J. Fleck get hired by there current AD at one time ?
He could be a serious contender for the job . Who knows ?
Err . Lou Fickell I meant . At Cinci.

here's me as JF:

They are doing $omething right to attract all that talent to a cowtown.

I don't know . Didnt P.J. Fleck get hired by there current AD at one time ?
He could be a serious contender for the job . Who knows ?
Err . Lou Fickell I meant . At Cinci.
You’re correct in that it was Fickell, but I don’t think he leaves Cincinnati, especially now that they’re moving to the Big 12. I get the sense that he’s an Ohio guy “at home.” Perhaps he leaves for a Big Ten job someday, but I don’t think he’ll leave for Southern Cal. Just my opinion, though.

You’re correct in that it was Fickell, but I don’t think he leaves Cincinnati, especially now that they’re moving to the Big 12. I get the sense that he’s an Ohio guy “at home.” Perhaps he leaves for a Big Ten job someday, but I don’t think he’ll leave for Southern Cal. Just my opinion, though.
His kids are in school in Cincinnati and he intends to stay until they finish. Based on what I have heard, neither he nor his wife want anything to do with LA.
Ohio State? Check
Notre Dane? Check
USC? Nope.

I think PSU can certainly get into the playoff every so often. But, like Notre Dame, they would just serve as someone's whipping boy. At USC, I think you can build up a top 5 program in the nation. However, I won't pretend to know what connections he has on the west coast (though it may not matter).

His kids are in school in Cincinnati and he intends to stay until they finish. Based on what I have heard, neither he nor his wife want anything to do with LA.
Ohio State? Check
Notre Dane? Check
USC? Nope.
Yup, I could see those two. Obviously he’s an Ohio State alum and, from what I’ve read, they’re quite immersed into the Catholic community in Cincinnati (pretty sure his kids go to Elder or St. Xavier).

Reactions: JSSTartan
As I posted in another thread. USC has plenty of money.

$300 million raised for athletics

Reactions: pitt90seven
LA is the kind of place JimmyFranks would feel he belongs. USC is a much higher profile job than PSU. Nothing against PSU, but State College is a little more lowkey than LA. :) If you succeed at USC you rub elbows with stars of the entertainment world. That has to be enticing to a ego like James.

Reactions: Saboteur II
I don’t understand how people don’t think it’s plausible regardless of his relative success at penn state

-LA > central PA
-USC > PSU (maybe not a huge margin but they’re still a bigger brand)
-more fertile recruiting grounds (not that he needs it)
-No OSU/MICH in the way

I don’t understand how people don’t think it’s plausible regardless of his relative success at penn state

-LA > central PA
-USC > PSU (maybe not a huge margin but they’re still a bigger brand)
-more fertile recruiting grounds (not that he needs it)
-No OSU/MICH in the way
As much as Franklin rubs some people the wrong way, he's extremely dynamic and represents PSU pretty well despite some absolutely epic fails. Remember "No Talent Required"?

Reactions: Ski11585
From USC's standpoint, they could be looking at the current 2022 class. If they get Franklin and he can bring some of those kids with him while still keeping some of what they already have coming in, they could have a great start on loading up with talent again.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Another thing to consider. LA likely has a bigger pool of coverup experts, so that could be a draw for Jimmy.

I have looked at the list of possibilities, the only guy that is an absolute fit is Franklin. For the record, I don’t care if he stays or goes. But right now, he is exactly what USC needs. They need a top notched recruiter who has swagger. They need someone who’s had success in a tough P5 conference. He would be a perfect fit for them.

I have looked at the list of possibilities, the only guy that is an absolute fit is Franklin. For the record, I don’t care if he stays or goes. But right now, he is exactly what USC needs. They need a top notched recruiter who has swagger. They need someone who’s had success in a tough P5 conference. He would be a perfect fit for them.
petersen would be pretty good but i'm not sure he has as of high a ceiling. . seems to have petered out a bit. and they just lost to montana or someone crap team like that - not an easy sell right now to USC fans.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Another perk of USC is they have a pretty good track record of recruiting talented college QBs, something Franklin really hasn't been able to do at Penn State. It's one of the reasons they're never able to elevate into the National Championship conversation.

petersen would be pretty good but i'm not sure he has as of high a ceiling. . seems to have petered out a bit. and they just lost to montana or someone crap team like that - not an easy sell right now to USC fans.
Hey, someone could spin it by saying how fall they’ve fallen since he left. “He took them to the College Football Playoff, and now they’re losing to FCS teams!”

I don't like Franklin at all but don't get the hate as far as his resume goes. He's had PSU in the top 10 at season's end three out of the last five years. He could reasonably finish that high this year. It probably is his ceiling unless OSU starts to take a nosedive and PSU can overtake them as best in conference.

What is the expectation at PSU if Franklin is considered to not be a great coach? Perennial top 5 finishes?

I don't like Franklin at all but don't get the hate as far as his resume goes. He's had PSU in the top 10 at season's end three out of the last five years. He could reasonably finish that high this year. It probably is his ceiling unless OSU starts to take a nosedive and PSU can overtake them as best in conference.

What is the expectation at PSU if Franklin is considered to not be a great coach? Perennial top 5 finishes?

It was his atrocious record vs top 20 opponents. I believe Wi was his first road victory in his career against one, and of course that should barely count as top 20 at the start of the year means nearly nothing.

here's me as JF:

If the money is equivalent, I dont know how any non-hillbilly would choose to live in Pennsyltucky over LA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT