ADVERTISEMENT

“Franklin has to be the guy” for USC - CBS Sports

I happen to think Franklin will kill it at USC. He has PSU as a regular in the top 10-15 and is a dynamic recruiter. He’ll get tons of talent at USC.

I think PSU goes after Fickell then and that’s not necessarily good for Pitt.

Reactions: JSSTartan
USC ain’t what they used to be. They’ve been a clown car since Pete Carroll left. Delusional fans living in the past, like Nebraska, FSU and Tennessee.

I happen to think Franklin will kill it at USC. He has PSU as a regular in the top 10-15 and is a dynamic recruiter. He’ll get tons of talent at USC.

I think PSU goes after Fickell then and that’s not necessarily good for Pitt.

I agree. Franklin has proven that he wins nearly 100% of the time when he has better players. At USC, he will have better players 11 times per year, maybe 12.

Hey, someone could spin it by saying how fall they’ve fallen since he left. “He took them to the College Football Playoff, and now they’re losing to FCS teams!”

It's true though. He got them to the playoffs.... And once he left they totally stink.

I wonder if a school will think the fact that Franklin goes through offensive coordinators as much as Narduzzi is a red flag?

Honestly Franklin would be way over his head there. I like him at PSU, he always loses the big games, and their racists fans hate him too, which brings me delight.

Your boy gets 4.5 , so yes he is worth 8 comparatively speaking. Agree
I think Franklin makes around $6.5 million.
USC is probably going to have to past at least $8 mil to get him, and PSU that much or more to keep him.

Hard to say when/if he's serious about other jobs. He likes to keep his name out there.

I think Franklin makes around $6.5 million.
USC is probably going to have to past at least $8 mil to get him, and PSU that much or more to keep him.

Hard to say when/if he's serious about other jobs. He likes to keep his name out there.

USC would have to make him #1, past Saban, for him to leave. I can't see that happening.

The only one offering Alabama money to Franklin is Alabama, which I could see happening at some point.

Either way Franklin gets another raise this year by having his agent floating his name yet again for these high profile openings

I don’t understand how people don’t think it’s plausible regardless of his relative success at penn state

-LA > central PA
-USC > PSU (maybe not a huge margin but they’re still a bigger brand)
-more fertile recruiting grounds (not that he needs it)
-No OSU/MICH in the way
Obviously LA is a better city than state college but
For a coach (in general and Franklin Specifically) is LA better?
Taxes/housing. The tax rate in LA and Cali is drastically higher so his earnings aren’t as much (I get up at 6 million it is lessoned but still.).
Commute. He can drive to and from work jn 10 minutes. I’m LA that probably becomes 30-45 minimum. That is Huge for a family man already putting in long hours.
Environment- the air quality in LA is putrid compared to central PA and with a daughter with Sickle Cell Anemia- that could be a big Issue.
Location - he is from PA. Done Rumy the allure of leading the ‘hometown school’ trumps other factors.
more distractions- might make it harder to keep players focused.
USC might be a bigger brand but it isn’t a huge disparity

I think the recruiting grounds is misleading. Yes the LA area is ripe and the state too. Where it’s misleading is people say California has much more talent than PA. That’s true. But if you go by distance to campus - much if that talent is > 2 hours away from USC. Similar distance to PSU would include Jersey snd the DMV which makes the talent gap closer.
I will agree with OSU - against Michigan he is 3-4. However he is 3-1 in last 4 games. OSU is ahead of us. Michigan is equal. Like Iregon or Washington would be to USC

Taxes/housing. The tax rate in LA and Cali is drastically higher so his earnings aren’t as much (I get up at 6 million it is lessoned but still.).
Commute. He can drive to and from work jn 10 minutes. I’m LA that probably becomes 30-45 minimum. That is Huge for a family man already putting in long hours.
Environment- the air quality in LA is putrid compared to central PA and with a daughter with Sickle Cell Anemia- that could be a big Issue.
Location - he is from PA. Done Rumy the allure of leading the ‘hometown school’ trumps other factors.

I think the recruiting grounds is misleading. Yes the LA area is ripe and the state too. Where it’s misleading is people say California has much more talent than PA. That’s true. But if you go by distance to campus - much if that talent is > 2 hours away from USC. Similar distance to PSU would include Jersey snd the DMV which makes the talent gap closer.
I will agree with OSU - against Michigan he is 3-4. However he is 3-1 in last 4 games. OSU is ahead of us. Michigan is equal. Like Iregon or Washington would be to USC

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg

Comparing Los Angeles to State College Pa, now I’ve seen it all.

I did like his creative writing, though. 😁
Obviously LA is better.
But what was incorrect about my statement. The cost of living is ridiculously higher in LA
The traffic is worse making a commute longer
Smog is an issue. His daughter has sickle cell anemia which can affect lungs. Maybe LA wouldn’t be better for her.
there are more distractions in LA for college kids. Keeping kids focused might be more difficult.
PSU is his home state school.

Nowhere did I say LA wasn’t better than State College. I listed Reasons he might not prefer it. Paying an extra million a year in taxes sucks. Having a 45 minute commute vs 10 sucks. Taking your daughter into an environment that might not be good for her sucks.
I assume most here are from Pa or Pittsburgh. If I offered you 50% pay raise but move from Pitt to LA would you. LA is better than Pittsburgh too. You may but it might not be a slam dunk.
My point was that just cause LA is better - doesn’t make the circumstances of his life there better

much if that talent is > 2 hours away from USC

You serious Clark? You could field a future NFL team with the HS talent within a 15 mile radius of USC's campus on any given year. Just offer the entire roster of Long Beach Poly, Mater Dei and Bosco every year and you'd pretty much be set.

Reactions: 303vND
USC ain’t what they used to be. They’ve been a clown car since Pete Carroll left. Delusional fans living in the past, like Nebraska, FSU and Tennessee.
If they make one good hire they'll be back to being a powerhouse in 2 years. This is USC people - don't underestimate the level of talent that's a tank of gas away from their campus. Plus they're loaded - Chris Peterson or Campbell would be excellent hires. Franklin and Fickle aren't good fits IMO.

Their fans are not delusional because you can win a national title at USC. And FSU, which only did a few years ago. Nebraska will likely never be back, their geography and conference set up is really bad and their old "we're on TV" advantage has been irrelevant for 20 years now. Tennessee harder to categorize I think. Grouping all them together isn't fair

Obviously LA is better.
But what was incorrect about my statement. The cost of living is ridiculously higher in LA
Smog is an issue. His daughter has sickle cell anemia which can affect lungs. Maybe LA wouldn’t be better for her.
there are more distractions in LA for college kids. Keeping kids focused might be more difficult.

Nowhere did I say LA wasn’t better than State College. I listed Reasons he might not prefer it. Paying an extra million a year in taxes sucks. Having a 45 minute commute vs 10 sucks. Taking your daughter into an environment that might not be good for her sucks.
I assume most here are from Pa or Pittsburgh. If I offered you 50% pay raise but move from Pitt to LA would you. LA is better than Pittsburgh too. You may but it might not be a slam dunk.
My point was that just cause LA is better - doesn’t make the circumstances of his life there better
I understand where you're coming from but some of the things you mentioned are non-starters. The smog isn't going to be that harsh to where his daughter would be severely impacted - I have to assume there are a ton of folks who live in the LA area who have sickle cell. Secondly, having a 45 minute commute with the top down on your convertible in 80 degree weather beats a 10 minute commute in three inches of snow and single digit temps everyday and twice on Sundays. Lastly, taxes won't be an issue because the outside perks would cancel those out - custom cloths, a big pad over looking the ocean, access to A-list social events would more than make up for a few lost coins on taxes. And the road trips would be much better - no brainer.

Last edited:
Reactions: HOF Coach
I understand where you're coming from but some of the things you mentioned are non-starters. The smog isn't going to be that harsh to where is daughter would be severely impacted - I have to assume there are a ton of folks who live in the LA area who have sickle cell. Secondly, having a 45 minute commute with the top down on your convertible in 80 degree weather beats a 10 minute commute in three inches of snow and single digit temps everyday and twice on Sundays. Lastly, taxes won't be an issue because the outside perks would cancel those out - custom cloths, a big pad over looking the ocean, access to A-list social events would more than make up for a few lost coins on taxes. And the road trips would be much better - no brainer.
I’m sure Franklin could easily navigate the “first world problems” associated with living as a wealthy man in LA versus central PA. As for taxes, cost of living etc those are never serious considerations for the people involved in these kinds of situations.

Obviously LA is better.

Look… No matter what happens, PSU will be fine…

I understand where you're coming from but some of the things you mentioned are non-starters. The smog isn't going to be that harsh to where his daughter would be severely impacted - I have to assume there are a ton of folks who live in the LA area who have sickle cell. Secondly, having a 45 minute commute with the top down on your convertible in 80 degree weather beats a 10 minute commute in three inches of snow and single digit temps everyday and twice on Sundays. Lastly, taxes won't be an issue because the outside perks would cancel those out - custom cloths, a big pad over looking the ocean, access to A-list social events would more than make up for a few lost coins on taxes. And the road trips would be much better - no brainer.
You aren’t wrong.
but different people have different priorities. Those in LA who have sickle cell might not have the same options elsewhere or have family there so moving isn’t as easy.

the commute is true but when you in the office 12-14 + hours an extra 1.5 hour driving might be huge.

and your right many people don’t let taxes play a role but many do (Lefty leaving for Florida).

my point is for people like Franklin(and any coach with options) - it might not be as easy a choice.

PSU is a top job. It’s not the best but a coach can win (and win big).

the talent within a 3 hr dive if PSU (which includes Maryland and all of Pa and NoVa stacks up well with most other areas. Yes it might not be as deep or strong - but it is very good. We aren’t talking Michigan or Iowa bad here.

the biggest separator is no OSU(in my mind) as everything else is personal preference (as some like me prefer seasons). And this really a big thing as to be at the level Franklin is - you want the challenge.

In my mind the biggest concern is if he wants to build another program vs sustain. Right now USC is (on the field) below us. He can ‘save’ another blue blood. That allure might be huge.

USC is a wayyyyyyyyy better job than even a Penn State fan can could imagine in a wet dream.

Talent everywhere. Biggest name on that side of the country. Facilities aren’t that great, but you don’t need them to be surrounded by that much talent and no major state schools. Fan interaction is the typical “city” involvement, but so what? That’s true for every school in the state, and really, just about any school out west. So that is basically a wash.

You can be a yearly playoff team at USC. Maybe a *great* coach can get there once every 4 to 6 years at PSU.

Last edited:
Another perk of USC is they have a pretty good track record of recruiting talented college QBs, something Franklin really hasn't been able to do at Penn State. It's one of the reasons they're never able to elevate into the National Championship conversation.
You've obviously forgotten about the kid from Briarwood wearing number 9.

USC is a wayyyyyyyyy better job than even a Penn State can could imagine in a wet dream.

Talent everywhere. Biggest name on that side of the country. Facilities aren’t that great, but you don’t need them to be surrounded by that much talent and no major state schools. Fan interaction is the typical “city” involvement, but so what? That’s true for every school in the state, and really, just about any school out west. So that is basically a wash.

You can be a yearly playoff team at USC. Maybe a *great* coach can get there once every 4 to 6 years at PSU.
Franklin likes center stage. The glitz and the glamor of being in LA is right in his sweet spot. Plus he has a better chance of making the playoffs. If he is offered, I believe he’ll take it.

Reactions: cashisking884
If they make one good hire they'll be back to being a powerhouse in 2 years. This is USC people - don't underestimate the level of talent that's a tank of gas away from their campus. Plus they're loaded - Chris Peterson or Campbell would be excellent hires. Franklin and Fickle aren't good fits IMO.
Fickell would be an awful fit, but IMO so would Campbell or Petersen. Everyone knows that Fickell would walk through glass for the opportunity to coach Notre Dame. Petersen walked away from a job that was truly a perfect fit for him because he wasn’t into the demands and commitment of being a high-profile P5 head coach...and that was at Washington, not USC. Matt Campbell famously isn’t interested in dipping his toes into murky recruiting waters, and seems destined for Michigan or the NFL.

Franklin is literally the one coach that I can think of who can capture the energy what Pete Carroll had at USC - both in recruiting and with the fanbase. Maybe Lane Kiffin would be able to now, but they hired him too young the first time and they can’t go back to that well again. Franklin would build USC into an absolute powerhouse, and would control recruiting from everywhere west of Louisiana (including Texas and A&M). The other guys you mentioned wouldn’t. Like, guaranteed top 5 classes every year with Alabama, Ohio State, and Georgia.

Fickell would be an awful fit, but IMO so would Campbell or Petersen. Everyone knows that Fickell would walk through glass for the opportunity to coach Notre Dame. Petersen walked away from a job that was truly a perfect fit for him because he wasn’t into the demands and commitment of being a high-profile P5 head coach...and that was at Washington, not USC. Matt Campbell famously isn’t interested in dipping his toes into murky recruiting waters, and seems destined for Michigan or the NFL.

Franklin is literally the one coach that I can think of who can capture the energy what Pete Carroll had at USC - both in recruiting and with the fanbase. Maybe Lane Kiffin would be able to now, but they hired him too young the first time and they can’t go back to that well again. Franklin would build USC into an absolute powerhouse, and would control recruiting from everywhere west of Louisiana (including Texas and A&M). The other guys you mentioned wouldn’t. Like, guaranteed top 5 classes every year with Alabama, Ohio State, and Georgia.

Campbell apparently hates everything about college football except just straight coaching. He doesn’t enjoy recruiting. He doesn’t enjoy shaking hands and kissing babies. He just wants to line up on Saturday and coach some ball.

USC is probably one of the few big jobs he can have success at if that is true. The program largely recruits itself. Even a bad recruiter is going to get decent results on the trail. And the city couldn’t give a f*ck about you. If you don’t like the fishbowl that comes with being a football coach at a major college town, then go be a small fish in a huge poNd. And that’s L.A.

I agree. The program needs to be elevated on so many levels. Franklin has the brashness and swagger that an elite program like USC needs. He can definitely bring in the talent too. They also want to hire a coach who wants the job very badly. Again, Franklin would take it in a heartbeat.

What No Enabler U from Creepy Valley, PA? Shocking

They were actually next on the list. They got two votes, one as the fifth best job and one as the best job.

The only other two schools besides those 16 that got a vote were North Carolina, who got a 4th place vote, and Northwestern, who got a 5th place vote.

Hey, stop laughing, I'm serious. Someone voted Northwestern as the 5th best job in college football. They must have been smoking the good stuff.

They were actually next on the list. They got two votes, one as the fifth best job and one as the best job.

The only other two schools besides those 16 that got a vote were North Carolina, who got a 4th place vote, and Northwestern, who got a 5th place vote.

Hey, stop laughing, I'm serious. Someone voted Northwestern as the 5th best job in college football. They must have been smoking the good stuff.
Are these anonymous? I would love to troll this loser!

I can see the appeal behind Northwestern (Chicago market, Big Ten West Division, great facilities), but naming it the fifth best job in America? Eh…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT