ADVERTISEMENT

“Franklin has to be the guy” for USC - CBS Sports

Hey, you could be right. He may not mind a lengthy commute to live in a once in a lifetime home/location. Or he could enjoy making $6m/year in a job where he literally can be home in 10 minutes to spend time with his family. Only he knows what he wants.
Franklin is a sharp dude. He's one of the few that would be a good fit almost anywhere. When he was at Vandy, he genuinely seemed to love the big city life and rubbing shoulders with local celebrities and attending all the big events. He liked the spotlight and worked it as much as possible coaching at a school like Vandy. When he left, he cited gameday environment and the failure of the Nashville community to fully embrace Vanderbilt as one of his greatest disappointments. It's hard to say. He says whatever suits him best at the time and it's hard to get a read sometimes. Vandy was willing to pay him well. That wasn't an issue. However, he used other jobs almost yearly to get a raise out of Vandy, and they always gave him a huge bump in salary.

Somebody is probably going to have to pony up at least $8 mil for his services next year. And if he bolts to USC, he's going to make a whole list of demands so that things aren't done on the cheap like they have been in recent years under Helton & Kiffin.

Reactions: ptomaselli
Franklin is a sharp dude. He's one of the few that would be a good fit almost anywhere. When he was at Vandy, he genuinely seemed to love the big city life and rubbing shoulders with local celebrities and attending all the big events. He liked the spotlight and worked it as much as possible coaching at a school like Vandy. When he left, he cited gameday environment and the failure of the Nashville community to fully embrace Vanderbilt as one of his greatest disappointments. It's hard to say. He says whatever suits him best at the time and it's hard to get a read sometimes. Vandy was willing to pay him well. That wasn't an issue. However, he used other jobs almost yearly to get a raise out of Vandy, and they always gave him a huge bump in salary.

Somebody is probably going to have to pony up at least $8 mil for his services next year. And if he bolts to USC, he's going to make a whole list of demands so that things aren't done on the cheap like they have been in recent years under Helton & Kiffin.
Technically speaking, $8M would be a negative hit. But like I said, I think he's motivated more to winning a title than the $$$. He likely now has more than his kids can pooh away. I think your last sentence hits the nail on the head.

Technically speaking, $8M would be a negative hit. But like I said, I think he's motivated more to winning a title than the $$$. He likely now has more than his kids can pooh away. I think your last sentence hits the nail on the head.
It's not all about the money. It's also about the principle. Why coach for $6 million when you can command $8 mil. And he's worth at least $8 million.

Tennessee offered him $8 last year & he wouldn't give them the time of day. I'm not even sure he ever publicly commented on it. He was smart enough not to use that dumpster fire he was never going to accept as leverage & piss off his fanbase. USC is a different animal. He'd be foolish not to leverage that opening.

Last edited:
Reactions: ptomaselli
I didn't call for Narduzzi's ouster, did I?

I didnt say you did, did I?

Read this board, it is full of people (or one person) that never post that come on with new handles talking about firing the coach or who will be new coach

I’m not going to go through all the Pitt/PSU bickering, but I will say Franklin is a fine coach and USC would be smart to make a run at him. At the same time, why leave one “destination job” for another when success at Southern Cal isn’t guaranteed? The grass isn’t always greener on the other side; he has it pretty good right now. Just my opinion.

I’m not going to go through all the Pitt/PSU bickering, but I will say Franklin is a fine coach and USC would be smart to make a run at him. At the same time, why leave one “destination job” for another when success at Southern Cal isn’t guaranteed? The grass isn’t always greener on the other side; he has it pretty good right now. Just my opinion.

People on here will say Franklin is a good coach but Narduzzi isnt becasue of his 40% winning percentage against ,500 teams

Franklin was 1-12 (8%) at Vandy.

Franklin recruits well. His game day coaching sucks.

Reactions: Teh Teh
People on here will say Franklin is a good coach but Narduzzi isnt becasue of his 40% winning percentage against ,500 teams

He's had his game day issues. That said, things have worked out this season. People can improve. It happens.

U-Park is short drive outside Pittsburgh. I think we have a problem with the definition of "short drive"? I was thinking 10 minutes.
yes, it is, I think 2 hours and 15 min is short. But yeah, probably 90 minutes all around state college is cow pastures. I dont know what u-park is, I assume that is near too?

He's had his game day issues. That said, things have worked out this season. People can improve. It happens.

To be fair, I havent watched him coach since the Pitt game which he threw a long bomb at the end of the game up by 30 against 3rd teamers, so I just know what I read about the guy

yes, it is, I think 2 hours and 15 min is short. But yeah, probably 90 minutes all around state college is cow pastures. I dont know what u-park is, I assume that is near too?
There is definitely Pennsyltucky 10 minutes outside Pgh...

Recruiting is pretty much everything in college football. He's a pretty good gameday coach too. Vandy had less talent than almost all those other teams, even those teams did have losing records.

By the way, USC wont hire him. The guy is crooked. He blew up Vandy's team in a bad way, and sure he is running a crooked ship now. with marginal success. If he was our coach, this board woulda fired him about 20 times already
Nothing factual in your post, specially the last line. Dislike is 1 thing making stuff up is laughable homz

Recruiting is pretty much everything in college football. He's a pretty good gameday coach too. Vandy had less talent than almost all those other teams, even those teams did have losing records.

Based on what? Losing the game solely on his poor clock management against Indiana, or being completely out coached and giving up over 500 yards to winless Nebraska last year?

I get your fandom, but his stats are completely different

They only played 3 teams with a winning record last year, and lost all three (0-3)

Based on what? Losing the game solely on his poor clock management against Indiana, or being completely out coached and giving up over 500 yards to winless Nebraska last year?

They only played 3 teams with a winning record last year, and lost all three (0-3)
Covid year. Who cares? Their stupid backwards ass conference just winged it and were totally unprepared. They just recanted to grab a few bucks and not concede the whole spotlight to the SEC & ACC.

Reactions: Hardslider21
I agree. Franklin has proven that he wins nearly 100% of the time when he has better players. At USC, he will have better players 11 times per year, maybe 12.
So Indiana, Nebraska, Maryland and Iowa has better players than Franklins team? Then that is on his poor recruiting you’re saying?

He just isn’t a sharp guy, he can’t follow when other good coaches coach against him they almost always throw him for a loop. But since he has too 10 recruiting classes just by shear talent they will beat poor teams in spite of his coaching (well except OSU who is like 7-1 against him)

There is definitely Pennsyltucky 10 minutes outside Pgh...
Don’t know if you’re exaggerating to make your point but that’s not quite correct.

The closest is probably Houston Pa which is about 25-30 mins outside the city towards Washington Pa. From there the I70-79 area is mostly if not all that down into Greene County.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
He just isn’t a sharp guy, he can’t follow when other good coaches coach against him they almost always throw him for a loop. But since he has too 10 recruiting classes just by shear talent they will beat poor teams in spite of his coaching (well except OSU who is like 7-1 against him)
How many top 10 recruiting classes has he had?

@PSUinSTL Don't bother. They only reason this fan base wants him at USC because they want PSU in turmoil (or at least dealing with change).

He likes the glitz glamour of LA. LOL. LA's a pro town. Unless its a marquee matchup, the Trojans are behind the Dodgers, Lakers, Rams, Clippers & Angels in glitz...and maybe even their hockey & soccer teams.

LA has at least a 50% higher cost of living. Someone mentioned he makes $6M/yr at PSU. USC would have to pay him $9M just to break even...without even calculating his tax implications.

USC's last 5 coaches were Sark, Kiffin, Eddie O, Helton...all pretty high profile guys with success...and ALL gone now...even with the SoCal fertile recruiting ground. They're the Texas of the West Coast (Sark could already be on the hot seat)...and in another fertile recruiting ground.

His motivation doesn't appear to be money. It's being the first African American coach to win a national title. He's just short of 50 years old...and probably doesn't want to coach into his 80's. He has a lot invested in PSU. Will he be willing to scrap all he's done at PSU (& PSU is better off than he found it) to start another rebuild? I don't know. He certainly could. He's a data guy. He'll probably list pros & cons of both jobs & try to make an analytical decision.
I hope he stays at PSU for another ten years, and I think he will. If he leaves, so be it. I’ll wish him well and support the next coach. OBrien and Franklin were both excellent hires, so I’m not worried either way.

Covid year. Who cares? Their stupid backwards ass conference just winged it and were totally unprepared. They just recanted to grab a few bucks and not concede the whole spotlight to the SEC & ACC.
We get it, youre a super homer. The 2 years before that combined they were 5-6 vs teams over .500, so 5-9 over the past 3 years

Year before that 3-2, year before 1-6, 3-4 before that, plus the 1-12 at vandy and you have a grand total of

13-33 total against teams over .500 or 28%. I get they play in the worst division as far as lopsidedness, and their OCC is always lame, so they dont get a lot of over .500 teams, but still, pretty pss(u) poor

We get it, youre a super homer. The 2 years before that combined they were 5-6 vs teams over .500, so 5-9 over the past 3 years

Year before that 3-2, year before 1-6, 3-4 before that, plus the 1-12 at vandy and you have a grand total of

13-33 total against teams over .500 or 28%. I get they play in the worst division as far as lopsidedness, and their OCC is always lame, so they dont get a lot of over .500 teams, but still, pretty pss(u) poor
Where are you getting your stats?

2019 PSU went 7-2 vs .500+ teams (5-2 vs P5)
2018 - 4-4 vs .500+ (3-4 vs P5)
2017 - 6-2 (4-2 vs P5)
2016 - 5-3 (4-3 vs P5)

Reactions: RaymondReddington
Where are you getting your stats?

2019 PSU went 7-2 vs .500+ teams (5-2 vs P5)
2018 - 4-4 vs .500+ (3-4 vs P5)
2017 - 6-2 (4-2 vs P5)
2016 - 5-3 (4-3 vs P5)
Not that I give a rats behind, but quickly just looking up a few years, I get this, so ...

2018 was 3-4
2017 was 5-2 and thats giving georgia st
2016 was 5-3
2015 as 1-6
2014 2-4

At any rate he isnt very good against teams with winning records. But, either is narduzzi

2018: 5-6
2017: 3-4
2016: 4-4
2015: 4-5

SO over that same span one was 16-19 and the other was 16-19... neither is a great coach at all.

Not that I give a rats behind, but quickly just looking up a few years, I get this, so ...

2018 was 3-4
2017 was 5-2 and thats giving georgia st
2016 was 5-3
2015 as 1-6
2014 2-4

At any rate he isnt very good against teams with winning records. But, either is narduzzi

2018: 5-6
2017: 3-4
2016: 4-4
2015: 4-5

SO over that same span one was 16-19 and the other was 16-19... neither is a great coach at all.
Yeah, I guess the only difference is that they both took over rebuilding teams and one turned his team into a perennial playoff contender and the other is Duzzi. One coach had a 57% winning percentage from 2014-19 against .500+ teams at their current job, the other had a 39% winning percentage.

It's also a little different when one team is playing Michigan and Ohio State every year, but the other is playing Miami and Virginia Tech (or whatever Coastal teams decide to show up that year).

Neither coach is Saban, but Franklin gets more talent and does more against better talent. Narduzzi gave Pitt stability when it desperately needed it, but does anyone actually believe that we wouldn't have had better seasons under Franklin? Well, other than the fact that he'd have been here for 2-3 years before moving on to greener pastures?

Yeah, I guess the only difference is that they both took over rebuilding teams and one turned his team into a perennial playoff contender and the other is Duzzi.
Perennial playoff contender? Only once was PSU in the actual conversation for the final 4 teams, and they got rejected.

Perennial playoff contender? Only once was PSU in the actual conversation for the final 4 teams, and they got rejected.
I guess we have different definitions. For me, I'd consider someone a contender any time his team is less than a touchdown away from being in the conversation.

2016 - 3 point loss to Pitt or they are in playoffs (feels good to type that)
2017 - losses to OSU and Mich St by a combined 4 points. (A win in either puts them in top 5)
2018 - losses to OSU and Mich St by a combined 5 points. (A win in either puts them at #8)
2019 - loss to Minnesota by 5 points (a win puts them at #5)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT