ADVERTISEMENT

😱 omg....Miami kicker

They shouldn’t have played for the FG with the offense rolling like that.
But that’s why Diaz will be unemployed soon.

If only we could have substituted Notre Dame for Miami in that situation. Love to see ND lose.

F MANNY DIAZ! That's what he gets for taking that job.
I agree with the first part, but he most likely would have screwed up worse at Temple.

If he is this bad at Miami, with the budget for assistants, and level of athletes available, he most likely would have been twice as bad at Temple.

Methinks you dodged a bullet.

And, F Manny Diaz.

That’s the most embarrassing crowd I think I’ve ever seen for a program like Miami. Pathetic. And they live in an area with a big population!

And it’s a Thursday night. There isn’t THAT much to do for families, students, etc.

That’s the most embarrassing crowd I think I’ve ever seen for a program like Miami. Pathetic. And they live in an area with a big population!

And it’s a Thursday night. There isn’t THAT much to do for families, students, etc.
Miami community has a lot more to do than watch a bad football team. The stadium isn’t close to campus so students don’t go.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
🤔🤨 really?! It's Miami, FL not Ohio.....there's plenty else to do on any night there.
This is the lamest premise used by fans to excuse poor attendance. USC, Miami and others lean on this crutch. There are literally 6-7 opportunities a year to watch the local college football team.

This isn’t baseball.

They shouldn’t have played for the FG with the offense rolling like that.
But that’s why Diaz will be unemployed soon.
I agree that if they stayed aggressive running the ball, probably would've scored a TD.

However, I think he did the right thing to ensure he had the final play. Most coaches would've done the same. They fumbled the ball out of bounds not too long before. He would've been crucified if they had a turnover on that final drive.

The kicker was already shook while doing warmups, saw it when the cameras were on him. He was terrified.

Reactions: ThePanthers
This is the lamest excuse used by a university to excuse poor attendance. USC, Miami and others lean on this crutch. There are literally 6-7 opportunities a year to watch the local college football team.

This isn’t baseball.
Not an excuse, just a fact. No one's wasting their night to go see a bad team, especially when there's plenty else to do. If they were winning, then maybe.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
Miami community has a lot more to do than watch a bad football team. The stadium isn’t close to campus so students don’t go.
You think Heinz is far from campus - UM ‘s stadium is like 15 miles from campus (and farther from the beaches) and not particularly easy to get to. Heinz is virtually on campus by comparison.

Reactions: TFBaum and xslfyk4
Would be cool if we hired him as DC when he gets canned

This is the lamest premise used by fans to excuse poor attendance. USC, Miami and others lean on this crutch. There are literally 6-7 opportunities a year to watch the local college football team.

This isn’t baseball.
They have no Gameday atmosphere. No student traditions. The stadium is miles from the campus and its students. Totally disconnected from the school. The team sucks. Add those three things together and you get shit attendance.

That’s the risk of playing for a FG in CFB. Even a short one from the middle of the field.

Apparently Diaz didn’t want to play regular O for fear that one of his RB’s would break loose and score (or UVA would let him score like Kelly did here with UC in 2009) and leave sufficient time on the clock for UVA. Diaz wanted his team with the ball on the final play of the game. And that’s what he got. Along with an “L” in a key conference and divisional game.

At times some college HC’s look like they have a paralysis of analysis. But college kickers aren’t necessarily automatic, especially with the pressure of the game being on the line.

Still vividly recall last season when Pitt had a PDG place kicker and lost at BC on a missed PAT.

You think Heinz is far from campus - UM ‘s stadium is like 15 miles from campus (and farther from the beaches) and not particularly easy to get to. Heinz is virtually on campus by comparison.
I think it’s like a 45 minute drive. No student is driving that.

I agree with the first part, but he most likely would have screwed up worse at Temple.

If he is this bad at Miami, with the budget for assistants, and level of athletes available, he most likely would have been twice as bad at Temple.

Methinks you dodged a bullet.

And, F Manny Diaz.
Don't know that he would have effed the Owls up worse than Rod Carey has. So far, that guy is taking us back to the 1990s.

When it comes to attendance, I think expecting full stadiums is a modern phenomena. Back in the 60s-70s, a baseball team did good if they drew 1 million fans per year, now that sucks, Pitt didn't draw more fans when they where 11-1 as they do now. I don't know about the number of fans at Bama or tOSU in the 60s or 70s, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was less than now.

Did some of you guys honestly watch the game?

Yeah it was a bad crowd but so is their team.
The crowd shots appeared to 95% Family members with young kids, & 5k students.

The Orange Bowl was old & in a bad area, you had a 60% chance of someone breaking into your car. But they packed the place.

Build a smaller stadium in Dade county (close to campus) like 40k a simple row of suites and forget about the posh shit people can do without for 3hrs. Get a really college environment back, it’s the same thing Pitt should do

Attendance at football games and perception.

Miami is a small university with a total student body of about 18,000 students (as opposed to Penn State with a student body of 100,000). Therefore, there are significantly less alums/students that can attend an event.

Miami plays at Hard Rock stadium with a capacity of 65,000.
If Miami would have played the game at the Marlins Field (football capacity of 34,000) the place would have looked filled.

The University of Cincinnati plays at Nippert Stadium which has a capacity of 40,000 fans and when they play it usually looks like a sellout.

Pitt is a small/mid sized university with a total student body of about 30,000.
Pitt needs to play in a stadium with a capacity of 50,000.

Heinz Field is about 3.5 miles from campus. Pitt (Administration) needs to "Right Size" Heinz Field down to 50,000 (Tarps/restricted sales in certain areas) for only 7 home games per year.

Time for the Pitt Administration and Athletic Department to seriously consider what many alums/fans propose.

Its not rocket science.

I like my Club Seats at Heinz Field.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Not an excuse, just a fact. No one's wasting their night to go see a bad team, especially when there's plenty else to do. If they were winning, then maybe.

I agree. In most people's minds, college football games aren't at the top of the list of things they need to do or want to do, given what else is going on in their lives. With the exception of a few college towns out there where there really is not much else to do but go to sporting events, I can't say I blame the Miamians.

Reactions: cease10
Don't know that he would have effed the Owls up worse than Rod Carey has. So far, that guy is taking us back to the 1990s.
You guys were showing real progress, too.

I understand how you feel, and it’s hard for an outsider to argue with you about that.

I’m hoping Carey gets it soon, or you guys find someone who can win soon.

No one commented on the ref missing one of the most obvious targeting calls ever on Miami. Would have extended the drive for Virginia and probably sealed the win for them. Instead Miami gets the ball back and drives for the winning FG. Poetic justice that they missed the kick.

Don’t laugh at Miami’s kicker. We have missed how many 20-yard extra points already this season? Imagine Scarton lining up for a game-winning kick from the same distance. Scary thought.

Reactions: cease10
I was actually at Hard Rock last night. I really enjoyed it, tbh. It felt a lot like a Pitt game. The attendance was about what you would expect for a struggling team in a pro city.

Since they remodeled the stadium, the acoustics in that place really hold the noise. It was surprisingly loud for such a small crowd.

If given a choice between Hard Rock or a cheap on campus stadium similar to The Bounce House, I'd take Hard Rock hands down.

Google says 35 minutes with traffic on I-95.
Right now, at 1pm in the afternoon, 38 mins on the 95 expressway with tolls. 45min is a reasonable average expectation to get there from campus. It could take up to an hour depending on traffic and depending if you are avoiding tolls or not. It is not easy for a student to get too....completely different situation than Pitt.

The OB was easy to get too. Short walk right off a metrorail stop. Area wasn't that bad. Walked there all the time from the med campus.

Miami is never going to be able to build a stadium that students can walk to. Won't fly in Gables.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT