ADVERTISEMENT

Makes sense given the condensed season. The new off/on sides rules will slow fast breaks down for sure. Now that our guys are older I like the new rule:)

The new off/on sides rules will slow fast breaks down for sure.

How so?

It's actually going to make guys onside slightly more often than in the past. In the past if your lead skate was on the ice in the offensive zone and your trailing skate was off the ice above the line you were offsides. That was what was frequently challenged by coaches in the past, that the guys trailing skate wasn't on the ice so he was offsides. Now that guy is going to be called onsides. The linesman doesn't have to worry about trying to see if the skate was touching the ice or off the ice, if any part of the players skate is above the line it's onside.

Reactions: TheFormula
To be honest, I’m a little nervous about this season. An essential 56-game round Robin with the gauntlet that is the East Division isn’t ideal for an older team that typically takes a while to get hot.

I am exited to see what Reirden can do with the power play, though. Hopefully Kaspanen can provide a much-needed boost. IMO, the season will come down a few key things: Jarry’s performance, McCann having a breakout season, and some of the “Baby Pens” (Poulin, Legare, maybe even Olivier-Joseph) making contributions at the NHL level. The last Cup runs were fueled by the call-ups and I think any Cup run going forward will have follow the same blueprint, namely because of the age of this team along with the cap restrictions. Those three plus Hallander will be crucial the next two seasons; looking forward to watching their development.

With all that being said, we likely have two seasons left with the Crosby/Malkin/Letang core. We should enjoy it while it lasts.

As strong as this division will be, is this the year we have to worry about our playoff streak ending? I think it is going to be really close. A point or two either way will probably be the margin for us being in or out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT