ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Pitt VB thread

What I mean is against Cincinnati, Pitt played only a total of 8 players in a three set to zero win.

That is very little substitution?

Looking at the tOSU box score and the Cincinnati box score, they are essentially just playing 7 players and Zoi Faki is serving for one of the middles and then subsqeuentlly leaving the game. Sabrina Starks got some run in the tOSU game. She got a bit of playing time last year as a true freshman, even during ACC play.

But to your point, yeah, it seems like there hasn’t been a whole lot of experimenting in the first few games of the season, and it certainly doesn’t look like there are any positions up for grabs

Reactions: gary2
It seems pretty weird to me that Pitt will enter the next match 6-0 and Oregon is only 2-0.

They didn't play at all this weekend. That does seem odd.

They are, however, a large step up in competition over what we have played so far. For people who are interested, that match will be shown on ESPNU on Wednesday.

I think only one team above them lost. They are getting moved up because of the sweeps I assume.
I watched #1 Stanford beat #3 Texas in 5 sets on Sunday. Both teams are really good (obviously). Fun match to watch.

I think only one team above them lost. They are getting moved up because of the sweeps I assume.

That's not right. Wisconsin was 4th and lost twice, Illinois was 5th and they lost twice, Florida was 7th and they lost twice (albeit to two other top 10 teams), Minnesota was 8th and while they were one if the teams to beat Florida they also lost to Texas, and Oregon was 9th and they didn't play any games last week. We were also jumped over by Baylor, who beat both Wisconsin and Marquette.

So everyone we jumped over either lost, most of them twice, or they didn't play.

Did anyone read the fivethirtyeight article about the Stanford team and the potential threats to dethrone the? It talked, in decent detail about pretty much every team in the top ten (and some outside of) except our Panthers. It seems that despite our ranking and recent track record we're still not getting any respect nationally.

Reactions: GoneFisching
It seems that despite our ranking and recent track record we're still not getting any respect nationally.

Well to be fair, our recent track record is that we built a very good record last season against a pretty bad schedule, and then when we got a national seed in the tournament we lost on our home court in the second round.

Fortunately, the coach has changed the scheduling philosophy this season, such that we could have a worse record than last year and still get a better seed in the tournament.

Well to be fair, our recent track record is that we built a very good record last season against a pretty bad schedule, and then when we got a national seed in the tournament we lost on our home court in the second round.

Fortunately, the coach has changed the scheduling philosophy this season, such that we could have a worse record than last year and still get a better seed in the tournament.
Schedule to the talent

They have a tough slate coming up. 3 matches in a tourney at Pepperdine, where they'll also play #16 Utah, then a home and home with # PSU.

That was an awesome match to watch. I thought they might wilt in that second set but they proved to deserve the top-10 ranking.

#BEATUTAH

That is 100% right. Fisher did a much better job this year of challenging the team with a better schedule. The ACC is a bit better too with both UL and FSU ranked at times. We now have already beat #10 Oregon and #16 Utah with 2 big PSU matches to go. If we can win 1, we will be able to get a pretty good seed come November.

That is 100% right. Fisher did a much better job this year of challenging the team with a better schedule. The ACC is a bit better too with both UL and FSU ranked at times. We now have already beat #10 Oregon and #16 Utah with 2 big PSU matches to go. If we can win 1, we will be able to get a pretty good seed come November.

If we split this upcoming weekend, as long as we don't lose to some of the bad teams in the conference even a couple losses against the higher level teams will not stop us from getting a national seed again.

By the way, the nitters lost to number one and clear national championship favorite Stanford on Friday night, three sets to one. Then they came back and swept Oregon on Saturday. They are, as usual, very good.

Reactions: WillardYears
Pitt moves up 2 spots to #4 in the nation!

Congrats girls. Now kick some butt in the ACC.
Wow! That’s some respect there. Usually when a Pitt team does what they did, they’d stay put at #6.

Pitt moves up 2 spots to #4 in the nation!

Congrats girls. Now kick some butt in the ACC.
I had to look. They leapfrogged PSU, and even got a 1st place vote. If they only had a couple more points yesterday, I wonder where they’d be?

Reactions: HOF Coach
I had to look. They leapfrogged PSU, and even got a 1st place vote. If they only had a couple more points yesterday, I wonder where they’d be?

Believe it or not, we actually got one first place vote last week as well.

In seeing how the poll fell my guess is that even with a win yesterday we'd have risen no higher than third. We were behind Baylor heading into the week and they had two good wins as well, and they moved up to second. My guess is that we'd still be behind them.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Anyone have any insight into the Markovic situation? She was their top rated player last year and appears to have been supplanted in the starting lineup by Starks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT