ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of things...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
- Sitting here tonight thinking about Pitt playing tomorrow and I realized that no matter what occurs, there is nothing positive that can happen for the Pitt program, other then not losing. If Pitt goes out a wins 100-0, people will say so what. That was an FCS team and they should win by that much. If they win 35-24, people are going to say that Pitt barely beat an FCS level program. Either way, it does help Pitt out at all.
- I sure as hell hope that Frank Cignetti, Jr. Cignetti said that " "His route running’s improved. I am very impressed and looking forward to using Gavin this season.” He acts as if Bartholomew is new to the program. As freshman, there was talk of him being one of the better TE's in the country and then Cignetti's offense showed up and the guy had little thrown his way. Let's hope that they use the TE more this year ,as well as the middle of the field.
- I think that UPMC needs to take very serious look into how it operates right now. I think that they have literally gotten to big for their own good and more importantly the good of their health insurance subscribers. Earlier in the week my MIL was having respiratory issues and they progressed to the point where she had difficulty breathing. I called the ambulance and they took her to one of the local UPMC hospitals. I waited in the ER waiting room for about 30 minutes and they brought her out to where I was sitting. Her vital signs had gotten better and she was sitting in a wheel chair and using oxygen. Was told they were going to admit her but we needed to wait for a room to become available. Well, they finally took her back to a room in the ER, 11 hours after she came into the ER. It was not just her, there were at least 30 other people in the ER waiting to be seen. The people behind the admission desk were, rude. She sat in her wheelchair for over 11 hours without being able to eat or drink anything. This is an 80+ year old person who has multiple medical issues and they didn't seem to care at all. Pretty sad for a nationally known health care system to leave patients out there that long.
- All of these Yinzers who think that the steelers are Super Bowl bound need to wake up. I am huge Pitt fan and because of that, I am a Kenny Pickett fan. I am not a steelers fan at all. In fact, I think what tomlin and canada did to Pickett last year, will hold the progress of Kenny Pickett. I mean, for the most part, Pickett is still a rookie. A rookie who ran an offense that did nothing to help his development.
- What is the point of having an NFL preseason? No one really used their starters at all. Playing games against teams with mismatched offensive and defensive players shows nothing. Pickett and the steelers looked incredible in the preseason. They only played something like 17 series all preseason, just don't think that's enough to prepare any team for the regular season. We will all see next week when they play the 49ers. The 49ers are very good defensively and the steelers will struggle offensively. I'd be surprised if they put up 17 points on them. If that does happen, people will be jumping all over Pickett. He will be blamed for the poor performance. The blame for that should be placed at the feet of the coaching staff.
- Tomorrow night, I am pulling for WVU to pull the upset. I don't care for WVU, but I absolutely hate psu. My predictions...Pitt 46 - Wofford 14 and psu 38 -WVU 7. H2P!!!

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
Cig needs to prove he has something innovative … or heck, merely competent… planned for the TE, whether that is Bart or not.

Was the hospital Presby? If so I’m not surprised. But AHN-AGH would not have been any better. Our two giant city hospitals are … lacking. At least both of them have some good ones, mostly out of the city though.

The Steelers will be better. But they are trapped in a loaded conference with not just one or two but several outstanding to other-worldly QBs. KP is ok, maybe even good, but not other-worldly. I think we should consider it success if they make the playoffs and win a game. For the other AFC teams not named Chiefs, Bills or Bengals, that same criteria will be their likely definition of success as well.

The limited preseason time for starters is frustrating for fans. But these teams are so top heavy in salary, especially at skill positioning, it’s just the fact of life. No HC wants to be the fool who loses a guy like their starting QB, or top WR, or top rush end in a scrimmage.

We will beat Wofford something like 31-13 after an uncomfortably competitive first half, and we’ll hear that it is like we lost. PSU will beat WVU something like the same score, and we’ll hear they should be ranked #1. Another fact of life living in Nitsburgh.

The large teaching and research hospitals are good at the innovative and complex conditions and procedures. They are not necessarily better at routine care. Much of the care in the big centres is being done by the residents and fellows. The attending spends little time on routine cases in many instances.
Now the smaller community hospitals are all mostly owned by the big systems. They want to own the referral base for the complex cases. They don't really care that much about the emergency department or inpatient medical wards in those hospitals. That indifference affects the morale of the overworked and underpaid staff.

my reply to a few points.

- Disagree, can be a positive outcome. The New Hampshire annihilation in 2021 after the terrible loss to WMU really got things rolling that year. A similar annihilation would be nice tomorrow. I'm just hoping it isn't a repeat of last year's Rhode Island game where Cignetti (or Narduzzi) refused to throw the ball downfield at all and give Slovis any work in his game. Won handily, but it wasn't as good of a jobber match as it should have been.

- NFL preseason, agree what is the point of three games? One game that is all. And college gets it wrong with no preseason, although most try and schedule a jobber as the defacto pre-season. That's why I hated opening with WVU. Good for TV/fans, but not good strategically.

- Stillers. NFL really hard to predict. Outside of the Patriots in their glory years, or the Chiefs now, it seems a team can be 6-11 the previous year and then make a Super Bowl run the following year. 17 games is way too many (NFL just gives lip service to player safety). But with that long of a season anything can happen. Finish 9-8, but be relatively healthy to make the playoffs and you have a good chance. I'd love to see the Stillers make the super bowl to shove it in the face of Madden/Kaboly/Dulac and all the other Pickett haters. I love Tomlin, he's probably the best thing that could happen for Pitt football, but I think he is too much of a players buddy, and not sure he is capable of guiding the Stillers to another Super Bowl. But hey he did it once, and as I said the NFL is designed for just about any team to rise up and win it all so who knows maybe this is the year.

- Tomorrow, one day only, Let's Go Mountaineers

Wofford is not the game to show innovation. It is going to be a vanilla offense to hide the real offense from WVU.

- Sitting here tonight thinking about Pitt playing tomorrow and I realized that no matter what occurs, there is nothing positive that can happen for the Pitt program, other then not losing. If Pitt goes out a wins 100-0, people will say so what. That was an FCS team and they should win by that much. If they win 35-24, people are going to say that Pitt barely beat an FCS level program. Either way, it does help Pitt out at all.
- I sure as hell hope that Frank Cignetti, Jr. Cignetti said that " "His route running’s improved. I am very impressed and looking forward to using Gavin this season.” He acts as if Bartholomew is new to the program. As freshman, there was talk of him being one of the better TE's in the country and then Cignetti's offense showed up and the guy had little thrown his way. Let's hope that they use the TE more this year ,as well as the middle of the field.
- I think that UPMC needs to take very serious look into how it operates right now. I think that they have literally gotten to big for their own good and more importantly the good of their health insurance subscribers. Earlier in the week my MIL was having respiratory issues and they progressed to the point where she had difficulty breathing. I called the ambulance and they took her to one of the local UPMC hospitals. I waited in the ER waiting room for about 30 minutes and they brought her out to where I was sitting. Her vital signs had gotten better and she was sitting in a wheel chair and using oxygen. Was told they were going to admit her but we needed to wait for a room to become available. Well, they finally took her back to a room in the ER, 11 hours after she came into the ER. It was not just her, there were at least 30 other people in the ER waiting to be seen. The people behind the admission desk were, rude. She sat in her wheelchair for over 11 hours without being able to eat or drink anything. This is an 80+ year old person who has multiple medical issues and they didn't seem to care at all. Pretty sad for a nationally known health care system to leave patients out there that long.
- All of these Yinzers who think that the steelers are Super Bowl bound need to wake up. I am huge Pitt fan and because of that, I am a Kenny Pickett fan. I am not a steelers fan at all. In fact, I think what tomlin and canada did to Pickett last year, will hold the progress of Kenny Pickett. I mean, for the most part, Pickett is still a rookie. A rookie who ran an offense that did nothing to help his development.
- What is the point of having an NFL preseason? No one really used their starters at all. Playing games against teams with mismatched offensive and defensive players shows nothing. Pickett and the steelers looked incredible in the preseason. They only played something like 17 series all preseason, just don't think that's enough to prepare any team for the regular season. We will all see next week when they play the 49ers. The 49ers are very good defensively and the steelers will struggle offensively. I'd be surprised if they put up 17 points on them. If that does happen, people will be jumping all over Pickett. He will be blamed for the poor performance. The blame for that should be placed at the feet of the coaching staff.
- Tomorrow night, I am pulling for WVU to pull the upset. I don't care for WVU, but I absolutely hate psu. My predictions...Pitt 46 - Wofford 14 and psu 38 -WVU 7. H2P!!!

UPMC has 10 billion in cash and investments and they don't pay good wages and were recently shown to be the least charitable in the nation. What are they doing, exactly? Planning to build 20 new Pitt Stadiums?

At some point, people will realize that we needt o eliminate the profit motive from the nations;s health coverage and invest that savings and improved inneficiences into coverage for all Americans at a lessar cost. Like evey other comprable nation does for their citizens.

Wofford is not the game to show innovation. It is going to be a vanilla offense to hide the real offense from WVU.
This is dumb, our backups will beat Wofford by 30. Plus, we play Cincinnati next week, so do we do reveal this “real offense” against them? Let’s not act like Cignetti is this offensive savant, his offense is vanilla by design.

Reactions: kma0043
UPMC has 10 billion in cash and investments and they don't pay good wages and were recently shown to be the least charitable in the nation. What are they doing, exactly? Planning to build 20 new Pitt Stadiums?

At some point, people will realize that we needt o eliminate the profit motive from the nations;s health coverage and invest that savings and improved inneficiences into coverage for all Americans at a lessar cost. Like evey other comprable nation does for their citizens.
I agree with you here. But, if you start doing that, eliminating profit motives from Universities can’t be far behind. Pitt is reportedly sitting on over 5 billion in their endowment. Harvard is at the top with over 50 billion. Pitt is also slated to get 162 million from the state in 2024, why? Pedo State is going to get 250 million. Overall, PA is going to disperse 600 million of PA tax dollars to State schools with massive endowments. The system is broken.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailtoPitt
I agree with you here. But, if you start doing that, eliminating profit motives from Universities can’t be far behind. Pitt is reportedly sitting on over 5 billion in their endowment. Harvard is at the top with over 50 billion. Pitt is also slated to get 162 million from the state in 2024, why? Pedo State is going to 250 million. Overall, PA is going to disperse 600 million of PA tax dollars to State schools with massive endowments. The system is broken.
The universities are no less greedy than a Walmart or Amazon. Harvard's endowment could fund a small army and still have a few million in annual interest left over yet they pay their low level staff so little that many have to resort to food stamps to get by. The system is broken.

-
- I think that UPMC needs to take very serious look into how it operates right now. I think that they have literally gotten too big for their own good and more importantly the good of their health insurance subscribers. Earlier in the week my MIL was having respiratory issues and they progressed to the point where she had difficulty breathing. I called the ambulance and they took her to one of the local UPMC hospitals. I waited in the ER waiting room for about 30 minutes and they brought her out to where I was sitting. Her vital signs had gotten better and she was sitting in a wheel chair and using oxygen. Was told they were going to admit her but we needed to wait for a room to become available. Well, they finally took her back to a room in the ER, 11 hours after she came into the ER. It was not just her, there were at least 30 other people in the ER waiting to be seen. The people behind the admission desk were, rude. She sat in her wheelchair for over 11 hours without being able to eat or drink anything. This is an 80+ year old person who has multiple medical issues and they didn't seem to care at all. Pretty sad for a nationally known health care system to leave patients out there that long.
Recently I took a family member to the ER of what is (in my opinion) our major hospital locally. It was crowded.

But they did something I’ve never seen and it was hugely effective.

After patients registered and went through initial triage they were returned to the waiting room waiting on an ER bed and treatment. I expected a 12 hour sort of day.

But then a doc and nurse came out and started making the rounds of the waiting room patients and asking if they would consent to treatment there in the waiting room. Obviously none of these folks were serious trauma patients but were either feeling unwell, or had minor injuries, etc.

Most folks were like “hell yes! I consent!” So they were examined, diagnosed, treated, and released right there from that waiting room.

As a result, my fam member and Inwere out of there in 90 minutes rather than 10-12 hours.

Anyone else seeing this in their local ER?

The universities are no less greedy than a Walmart or Amazon. Harvard's endowment could fund a small army and still have a few million in annual interest left over yet they pay their low level staff so little that many have to resort to food stamps to get by. The system is broken.
Agree. But, why are students who graduate straddled with 100K in debt while the college endowment grows?

yeah, and then you end up with the situation like with the 19-year old girl in the UK who is fighting the courts to be transferred outside the country to seek medical care, whereas the UK health system is saying that she isn’t able to make her own medical decisions and should just die. Similar to the sad story of the baby Charlie Gard from a few years ago.

There is no perfect answer.

yeah, and then you end up with the situation like with the 19-year old girl in the UK who is fighting the courts to be transferred outside the country to seek medical care, whereas the UK health system is saying that she isn’t able to make her own medical decisions and should just die. Similar to the sad story of the baby Charlie Gard from a few years ago.

There is no perfect answer.

I agree, people should be able to transfer if they choose. But, that's not a function of a healthcare/coverage system.

"Innovation???" That offense was basically the same offense they used last year. Getting Jurkovec used to playing with this group of players was different, but I don't think that WVU will see anything different they they saw last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT