ADVERTISEMENT

A positive prediction for 2024

Man, with the exception of a perennial 4 or 5 programs, CFB is becoming SO much of a year-to-year thing. Up or down.

That’s certainly an interesting take about Pitt. Really depends on a bunch of things currently unknown. Offensive staff? Finalized 2024 roster? Injuries? Just to name a few. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: pittmeister
If you look at the comments, the biggest wind bags right now are The Cuse fans… They have every right to be positive about what’s happening with recruiting, but Fran Brown hadn’t coached a game yet. Many coaches can recruit but few can recruit AND coach at a high level.

Reactions: pierre93
Pretty easy to improve on 3-9! Way to state the obvious!

I like to do it like this:

QB - Will be significantly better. Could not be worse.

OL - Honestly a wildcard. Lost Kradel, Goncalves, and Zubovic... but Goncalves didn't play much and the other two did not play well overall. I'm not sure what to expect. I'm thinking slightly better just because we won't have a rotating turnstile at RG (hopefully).

TE - Better (same guys, more experience).

RB - I guess better, because Hammond should be used more.

WR - Very tough to call, because I was high on Bub Means. TBD.

DT - Honestly, probably worse. Which is scary, because they weren't good last season.

LB - I'll go with better. Young talent has another year of experience.

DE - Weird one, because I think Okunlola is better than anyone on our roster... but I still think they'll be better than what they were last season.

CB - Worse. Not a question. And a possible concern.

S - Better by virtue of experience.

Schedule - You add one more automatic win and you substitute an automatic loss for a tossup game. So that's a plus.

Now somebody just needs to do that for every other team on our schedule, and we can compare notes.

Last edited:

OL - Honestly a wildcard. Lost Kradel, Goncalves, and Zubovic... but Goncalves didn't play much and the other two did not play well overall. I'm not sure what to expect. I'm thinking slightly better just because we won't have a rotating turnstile at RG (hopefully).

DT - Honestly, probably worse. Which is scary, because they weren't good last season.

DE - Weird one, because I think Okunlola is better than anyone on our roster... but I still think they'll be better than what they were last season.

Schedule - You add one more automatic win and you substitute an automatic loss for a tossup game. So that's a plus.

Now somebody just needs to do that for every other team on our schedule, and we can compare notes.
You’re presuming experience translates to improvement. I’m not certain that’s the case.

Will need to see who gets added through the portal, of which there should be many, before a real guess can be made. Reactions to your comments below in bold.

QB - Will be significantly better. Could not be worse. YN instantly showed more than either of the other 2, with Cignetti. If he is the guy, with Bell, it will be better.

OL - Honestly a wildcard. Lost Kradel, Goncalves, and Zubovic... but Goncalves didn't play much and the other two did not play well overall. I'm not sure what to expect. I'm thinking slightly better just because we won't have a rotating turnstile at RG (hopefully). Too early to know. I'm sure we'll have transfers. Maybe a new scheme will help. Not too optimistic though.

TE - Better (same guys, more experience). Better utilized. Inexplicable to see our TEs outshine receivers this year...with the 3 targets they received each game.

RB - I guess better, because Hammond should be used more. Perhaps. All comes down to whether the line improves or not.

WR - Very tough to call, because I was high on Bub Means. TBD. They were just plain bad. Means was good on paper, almost never on the field. Can't be worse. The young guys seem to have talent, plus a few transfers could help. And a better scheme where the middle of the field is actually used and routes don't take longer than the OL can sustain. Has to be better.

DT - Honestly, probably worse. Which is scary, because they weren't good last season. Worse DL in years. The two transfers this week are already an improvement.

LB - I'll go with better. Young talent has another year of experience. It'll be years until we have another Dennis in the middle. I don't know, but maybe you're right, the young guys will play more of a role, and guys in year 2 are generally better if they have talent.

DE - Weird one, because I think Okunlola is better than anyone on our roster... but I still think they'll be better than what they were last season. Could be. Transfers yet to come.

CB - Worse. Not a question. And a possible concern. Agree.

S - Better by virtue of experience. Sure, why not.

What is everyone's early expectations for next season? After this year, 6-6 would be a big step in the right direction, yet still disappointing for where we all want the program to be.

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. No
6. No
7. No
8. Yes
9. No
10. No

tenor.gif

We will never be that great program until and unless we bring in that elite QB.
Nebraska just flipped the #8 recruit in QB Raiola. His uncle is the OL coach- I remember when Potato Paul couldn't recruit his own nephew, his brother's 4* QB son to Pitt when he was our head coach. He ended up going to Stanford.
Syracuse got one too. Colorado just got a 6'7" four star QB transfer from Vandy and a 6'4" transfer QB from Kentucky and it goes on and on.
Pitt need to pull one of these off now.
This is the most important position in football. The only time I saw a team win a championship without a star QB is when the Ravens won the Super Bowl with QB Trent Dilfer, but they had a super elite defense led by Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and Terrel Shruggs.

Nebraska just flipped the #8 recruit in QB Raiola. His uncle is the OL coach- I remember when Potato Paul couldn't recruit his own nephew, his brother's 4* QB son to Pitt when he was our head coach. He ended up going to Stanford.
Syracuse got one too. Colorado just got a 6'7" four star QB transfer from Vandy and a 6'4" transfer QB from Kentucky and it goes on and on.
This is the most important position in football. The only time I saw a team win a championship without a star QB is when the Ravens won the Super Bowl with QB Trent Dilfer, but they had a super elite defense led by Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and Terrel Shruggs.
Nick Foles, Joe Flacco also won Super Bowls and they weren’t stars.

Will need to see who gets added through the portal, of which there should be many, before a real guess can be made. Reactions to your comments below in bold.

QB - Will be significantly better. Could not be worse. YN instantly showed more than either of the other 2, with Cignetti. If he is the guy, with Bell, it will be better.

OL - Honestly a wildcard. Lost Kradel, Goncalves, and Zubovic... but Goncalves didn't play much and the other two did not play well overall. I'm not sure what to expect. I'm thinking slightly better just because we won't have a rotating turnstile at RG (hopefully). Too early to know. I'm sure we'll have transfers. Maybe a new scheme will help. Not too optimistic though.

TE - Better (same guys, more experience). Better utilized. Inexplicable to see our TEs outshine receivers this year...with the 3 targets they received each game.

RB - I guess better, because Hammond should be used more. Perhaps. All comes down to whether the line improves or not.

WR - Very tough to call, because I was high on Bub Means. TBD. They were just plain bad. Means was good on paper, almost never on the field. Can't be worse. The young guys seem to have talent, plus a few transfers could help. And a better scheme where the middle of the field is actually used and routes don't take longer than the OL can sustain. Has to be better.

DT - Honestly, probably worse. Which is scary, because they weren't good last season. Worse DL in years. The two transfers this week are already an improvement.

LB - I'll go with better. Young talent has another year of experience. It'll be years until we have another Dennis in the middle. I don't know, but maybe you're right, the young guys will play more of a role, and guys in year 2 are generally better if they have talent.

DE - Weird one, because I think Okunlola is better than anyone on our roster... but I still think they'll be better than what they were last season. Could be. Transfers yet to come.

CB - Worse. Not a question. And a possible concern. Agree.

S - Better by virtue of experience. Sure, why not.

WR - See I think Means was really good and we failed him. He was a much more complete receiver this past season and still a deep threat. I sincerely believe he could have a 1,200-yard season if he came back.

DT - Look at the interest DeAndre Jules garnered in the portal vs Nick James. There's almost no chance we're better off. And that's on top of losing Danielson, Green, and Bentley. Those guys weren't great or anything, but if Donald and company were any better they'd have been playing ahead of them.

Reactions: cashisking884
What is everyone's early expectations for next season? After this year, 6-6 would be a big step in the right direction, yet still disappointing for where we all want the program to be.

I truthfully don't believe the difference between 7-1 Louisville and 1-7 Wake Forest was all that drastic. It was Florida State and everybody else, to some extent. I think the portal is just a bunch of recycling of hope for the most part (a musical chairs game for a bunch of slightly below average to slightly above average guys), but I think it's going to cause most ACC teams to be pretty similar in talent, and then the ones who win will be whomever had good QB play, a good system, fewer injuries, a few studs, etc. Obviously I expect FSU and Clemson to be a cut above the rest most seasons, but I'm talking about most everyone else. Like Pitt, Syracuse, GT, VT, etc. I expect to have about the same (not exactly, but within reason) level of talent most years. There's just so much movement and only so many starting positions. And when a program does cultivate a really good player (like a Kancey, for instance), it's likely that he's just going to be bought by a bigger fish.

Reactions: Burgh15
I truthfully don't believe the difference between 7-1 Louisville and 1-7 Wake Forest was all that drastic. It was Florida State and everybody else, to some extent. I think the portal is just a bunch of recycling of hope for the most part (a musical chairs game for a bunch of slightly below average to slightly above average guys), but I think it's going to cause most ACC teams to be pretty similar in talent, and then the ones who win will be whomever had good QB play, a good system, fewer injuries, a few studs, etc. Obviously I expect FSU and Clemson to be a cut above the rest most seasons, but I'm talking about most everyone else. Like Pitt, Syracuse, GT, VT, etc. I expect to have about the same (not exactly, but within reason) level of talent most years. There's just so much movement and only so many starting positions.
Bold of you to assume Florida State will still be in the ACC. The WV guy said they're gone, LOL.

A 4* QB transfer isn’t saying much though.

A guy rated at a 90 to 91 as a college player is a 4* guy on 247.

That’s Slovis coming from USC.
That’s Simms coming from GT.
That’s TVD coming from Miami.

These are just guys JAGs, maybe JAGs+ type players.

They were good this past year, but based on what they are doing in the portal, Ole Miss has to be number 1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT