ADVERTISEMENT

Absolutely heartbreaking loss for Wilps.. typical Nit bs

I got the locked hands call. But the second stalling warning was chicken****. To come so close to a national title and not get it really sucks.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

How about the first stalling call? Wilps was the aggressor yet he gets tagged.

I guarantee you the first stalling call came because Sanderson was yelling at the officials. Brown has a history of moving forward but not really taking shots. He just pushes his opponent in the face and moves forward. Hardly ever takes a shot. When he pushes you in the face all you can do is go backwards. But he gets a lot of stalling calls on his opponents because Sanderson is always in the refs ear. Did you see the way he waved around the challenge flag like he had just climbed Mt, Sirabuchi? You are supposed to just put it in the holder like every other coach does.

If you go back and watch video of the matches you will see plenty of times where the riding wrestler has a hold of the down wrestler's leg as the down wrestler tries to hop out of bounds. No stalling is ever called on the riding wrestler. You can't move to get control above the waist when the other guy is hopping away from you. Wilps actually did get waist control right as they called it, but in watching 3 days of the tournsment both on my TV and simultaneously on ESPN 3 on my computer, I never saw it called. And the fact is that in the last ten or 15 seconds of a match stalling just isn't called. Here they called it with 3 seconds to go.

Ben Askew a former NCAA champion from Missouri and a number of other wrestlers have tweeted criticizing the calls.

The fact is that the rules changes in college wrestling which were designed to make it more exciting have just made it more confusing. And they have made interpretation of the rules more subjective which enables intimidators like Sanderson to influence results.

The commentators, both former NCAA champs couldn't agree on any of the 3 calls that went Brown's way in the final 40 seconds. If they can't agree then obviously the video isn't conclusive. Yet all three were reversed. I don't remember more than 10 call reversals in the entire tournament and none that decided matches.

On video replay.....

I only watched a small amount of the finals, mostly the early matches so I could make sure I didn't miss Wilps' match. The announcers talked about the typical football line that the replay has to show conclusive evidence that the call was wrong to change the call. And then there were several replay challenges that I saw and until the end of the Wilps' match no matter what the announcers said the call should be the refs actually ruled the opposite way. I know the announcers aren't refs, but they were long time wrestlers and I believe NCAA champions, and if those guys can't figure out what the refs are going to call when they look at a replay, indeed when they keep getting it exactly wrong, that tells me that they really need to do some more work on the replay system.

Re: On video replay.....

The stalling come came about for 5 seconds hanging on the legs. Ref did a five count and then called it. I hated to see it, but that is the way it is supposed to be called. They should have skipped the locked hands and then let the wrestlers settle it in OT.

Re: On video replay.....

Originally posted by thom67:
The stalling come came about for 5 seconds hanging on the legs. Ref did a five count and then called it. I hated to see it, but that is the way it is supposed to be called. They should have skipped the locked hands and then let the wrestlers settle it in OT.
Tough loss for Tyler but, technically, I believe both calls against him were correct.

Stalling Calls

I think the 1st stalling call was bs. I'll admit I'm no big wrestling fan, but both guys wrestled the same kind of match, I don't think Wilps was doing anything different than Brown. But the 1st stalling call for whatever, set up the 2nd one.

Tom, I didn't hear any audible call of the five count before the second stalling call. Did you hear an audible five count being called? On the clasped hands, I don't even know what that means anymore but both experts on television said if there was a violation it was impossible to determine if it occurred before or after time expired.

Plus Brown was actually holding Tyler's hands together to get the locked hands call.

The ref counts with a swing of the R arm. I was less than 10 rows up right above the match. The ref made the count. I saw the call coming. The point of the rule is to prevent hanging on the leg. Tyler should have known the call was coming and he needs to move up or just let the guy go. Tyler was unable to move up because Brown was running so he has to let go. The actual count should force the wrestler to let go and give up the escape.

The ref counts with a swing of the R arm. I was less than 10 rows up right above the match. The ref made the count. I saw the call coming. The point of the rule is to prevent hanging on the leg. Tyler should have known the call was coming and he needs to move up or just let the guy go. Tyler was unable to move up because Brown was running so he has to let go. The actual count should force the wrestler to let go and give up the escape.
A swing of the right arm is not an audible 5 count. What if the ref is standing behind Tyler, as he was? How can he hear a swinging arm? I saw a few other matches in which a count was started and in each it was an audible count and it never got to five.

But it shouldn't have mattered because the first stalking warning was a horrible call, created by Saenderson's non-stop complaining. Brown wasn't the aggressor. Tyler wasn't backing up any more than Brown was. There was no basis for that call. Not after there were no stalling calls in the Brown v Evans match or in Tyler's quarter and semi matches. The OSU guy he wrestled didn't take a single shot until the last 30 seconds. The Mizzou wrestler assumed he could ride Tyler out and also never took a shot until he got behind. I still am waiting for Brown to take a shot against Evans. Or vice versa. If there were going to be stalling warnings they both should have received a basket full. Saenderson cried and bitched his way to a b.s. call against Tyler. Brown didn't win the title. Saenderson did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT