ADVERTISEMENT

ACC, PAC12 and B1G Talking Alliance

So if this is true, what does the B1G have to be worried about? Why would they bother with the Pac12 and ACC? What are they afraid of?
My guess, 2 Things:
#1: Jay Bilas' suggestion of the ACC partnering with the SEC. If this happens the BIG is greatly diminished.
#2: Creating a bigger voting block for College Football playoffs to thwart the SEC

I honestly don't think the BIG cares at all about the PAC.

Reactions: pittdan77
I guess in my world, it's acceptable to have a pre determined playoff qualification, like a division winner
I already addressed this earlier and you didn't answer the question I asked of you., so I will copy it below and ask an additional question.

Other than the Big 12, CCGs are not set up to guarantee the two most successful Conference teams play each other. What is fair about tying in an auto bid to a format that potentially allows the 3rd/4th (let’s hope not worse) successful team on the field an opportunity over the 2nd?

OOC games aren’t included in the standings. Now you are ignoring up to 33% of a teams results of games on the field in saying they have an opportunity to play for the MNC. Why should the results of up to 33% of the games played on the field be ignored?

Reactions: cashisking884
I already addressed this earlier and you didn't answer the question I asked of you., so I will copy it below and ask an additional question.

Other than the Big 12, CCGs are not set up to guarantee the two most successful Conference teams play each other. What is fair about tying in an auto bid to a format that potentially allows the 3rd/4th (let’s hope not worse) successful team on the field an opportunity over the 2nd?

OOC games aren’t included in the standings. Now you are ignoring up to 33% of a teams results of games on the field in saying they have an opportunity to play for the MNC. Why should the results of up to 33% of the games played on the field be ignored?
It's fair because the best teams had their shot. For example, let's say Alabama is #1 in the SEC, LSU is #2, and Florida is #3 one year. Alabama and Florida play in the CCG. LSU was in Alabama's division and lost. They had a shot to beat Alabama already. Plus, the rules were set up before the season, so everybody had the same shot from the outset.

Reactions: Pitt79
My guess, 2 Things:
#1: Jay Bilas' suggestion of the ACC partnering with the SEC. If this happens the BIG is greatly diminished.
#2: Creating a bigger voting block for College Football playoffs to thwart the SEC

I honestly don't think the BIG cares at all about the PAC.
Never considered that the ACC would partner with the SEC but that would be a problem for the B1G when I stop and think about it.

I would disagree that the B1G doesn't care about the Pac12. They've had a very long history together and for a long time, they tried to pretend NC's didn't matter to them as much as winning the Rose Bowl. Of course they weren't competing for NC's but that's another story.

It's fair because the best teams had their shot. For example, let's say Alabama is #1 in the SEC, LSU is #2, and Florida is #3 one year. Alabama and Florida play in the CCG. LSU was in Alabama's division and lost. They had a shot to beat Alabama already. Plus, the rules were set up before the season, so everybody had the same shot from the outset.
The rules are set that a conference champ isn’t a requirement. If you are going to change the rules to say that it is, I’m asking why not make the change to be fair so that the two teams with the best records are guaranteed to be matched up? To use your example, what if UF has already lost to both Bama and LSU, what’s fair about that?

Besides that, the OOC game issue isn’t addressed.

Reactions: pittdan77
The rules are set that a conference champ isn’t a requirement. If you are going to change the rules to say that it is, I’m asking why not make the change to be fair so that the two teams with the best records are guaranteed to be matched up? To use your example, what if UF has already lost to both Bama and LSU, what’s fair about that?

Besides that, the OOC game issue isn’t addressed.
In your example, it is fair because the framework was in place at the beginning of the season, nothing was changed after-the-fact, and everyone was already aware a rematch was a possibilty. The was no subjectively such as the "eye test."

The problem with taking the top two schools is again, because of subjectivity. For example, without divisions, Georgia and Florida could be #2 and #3, not play each other, and have the same record. With divisions, you ensure that everyone within the division had a chance to beat the teams they needed to beat. They get a shot at all the teams in their division, plus the top team in the other division.

Regarding OOC, the problem is the level of opponent can vary drastically. Alabama may play all cupcakes OOC, and Florida may play multiple P5 teams. That is the big problem with college football. There is too much of a fetish for 0 or 1 loss teams. Just because you are undefeated doesn't automatically mean you are better than a 2 or 3 loss team. You might have just played a soft schedule. Or you might really be better.

The problem is all the guesswork and speculation. You need a systematic process.

Here's the answer, to me it's totally OK to have the same arbitrary divisions forever, like the NFL, even if it means lesser teams can sneak into the playoffs, I'm fine with it. And OOC games are like NFL preseason, don't count in the LEAGUE standings.

THIS^^^

I’m asking why not make the change to be fair so that the two teams with the best records are guaranteed to be matched up?
Because THAT DOES NOT HAVE TO HAPPEN, nothing wrong with THAT NOT HAPPENING, the rules for qualification where known before the first game was played, before anyone knew who would be 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th best.

That's great but in a division format you could plausibly have three, one-loss teams, in the same division. It's rare but it happens.

The "logical" step would be to incorporate the playoff into the conference format. Have the conferences choose their top four and go from there. That format excludes any G5 or independents, though.

That's great but in a division format you could plausibly have three, one-loss teams, in the same division. It's rare but it happens.

The "logical" step would be to incorporate the playoff into the conference format. Have the conferences choose their top four and go from there. That format excludes any G5 or independents, though.
Right, but you have a predetermined tie breaker system in place. The problem with the CFP is there are no predetermined rules and the qualifications shift from week to week.

Right, but you have a predetermined tie breaker system in place. The problem with the CFP is there are no predetermined rules and the qualifications shift from week to week.
Those rules are fine but they are hardly perfect in college because you're determining the outcome based on roughly 75% of the total schedule for some conferences.

And there are predetermined rules for the CFP now but they serve as a guide to how the committee selects teams. I know that's splitting hairs but it's not a haphazard process.

Reactions: cashisking884
Those rules are fine but they are hardly perfect in college because you're determining the outcome based on roughly 75% of the total schedule for some conferences.

And there are predetermined rules for the CFP now but they serve as a guide to how the committee selects teams. I know that's splitting hairs but it's not a haphazard process.
If all you do it take the top two teams from the conference, you are still determining the outcome based on 75% of the total schedule.

The CFP doesn't have any rules. It only says take the 4 best teams. It doesn't say how that is determined. It further says when two teams are "close," that several things like conference champ or strength of schedule can be used as a "tie breaker," but it doesn't say which ones to pick.

In the division format, you have clear cut rules, and there is no deviation from them.

If all you do it take the top two teams from the conference, you are still determining the outcome based on 75% of the total schedule.

The CFP doesn't have any rules. It only says take the 4 best teams. It doesn't say how that is determined. It further says when two teams are "close," that several things like conference champ or strength of schedule can be used as a "tie breaker," but it doesn't say which ones to pick.

In the division format, you have clear cut rules, and there is no deviation from them.
It's all great and I still agree with you fundamentally. Regardless of how anyone feels, they're going to make up their minds and do it however they want.

In your example, it is fair because the framework was in place at the beginning of the season, nothing was changed after-the-fact, and everyone was already aware a rematch was a possibilty. The was no subjectively such as the "eye test.
The framework isn’t in place as part of the CFP. You are proposing to change the CFP system to use the conferences so I am just saying be more thorough with the changes. That isn’t the catch phrase that you are attempting to call it.
The problem with taking the top two schools is again, because of subjectivity.
Going by records isn’t subjective. Lay out tiebreaker criteria just like now.
For example, without divisions, Georgia and Florida could be #2 and #3, not play each other, and have the same record.
Assuming you mean LSU in lieu of one of the above. That also would mean one of the above would have lost to a much suckier team than Bama. You aren't making the case any better for them. See above about a tie-breaker.
Regarding OOC, the problem is the level of opponent can vary drastically.
They can vary in conference also based on which teams from the other division someone may get.

It is a mythical NATIONAL championship, which means all the games a team plays in the nation should matter.

It is a mythical NATIONAL championship, which means all the games a team plays in the nation should matter.
I thought the whole point of having playoffs was so it wouldn't be MYTHICAL anymore. There would be STRICT QUALIFICATION RULES laid out, so that before the season started, every one of the 130 FBS teams would know exactly what it would take, exactly which games that they'd win that could send them into a playoff tournament, then it wouldn't be MYTHICAL anymore.

The CFP doesn't have any rules. It only says take the 4 best teams. It doesn't say how that is determined.
This is why it sucks! Nobody but Alabama, Clemson, tOSU and ND knows EXACTLY what they'd need to do to get in. If for example, you made the Conference Championship Game winners automatic qualifiers, then at least all the P5 teams would know what they have to do at a minimum to get in, and maybe even half the teams would still have at least some hope going into November and that would make it more interesting for more fan bases.

OOC games are like NFL preseason, don't count in the LEAGUE standings.
Sorry to inform you of a non-secret that everyone else seems to be aware of: cfb OOC games are shown on everyone’s record, have been for all time, and are in all the record books.
I thought the whole point of having playoffs was so it wouldn't be MYTHICAL anymore.
The NCAA doesn’t name an official national champion. That is what the “M” is based on. Nothing has changed about that.

Sorry to inform you of a non-secret that everyone else seems to be aware of: cfb OOC games are shown on everyone’s record, have been for all time, and are in all the record books.

The NCAA doesn’t name an official national champion. That is what the “M” is based on. Nothing has changed about that.

8 more teams now have no chance to win the M going forward.

Overall record and league record can be and are different, you could win your division by being 8-0 in your league and be 8-4 overall. And who says that mythical can't be changed, things SHOULD CHANGE to make CFB a normal sport, like the rest.

Overall record and league record can be and are different
In MLB, yes. In your references to the NFL, the league record is the overall record.
you could win your division by being 8-0 in your league and be 8-4 overall.
cfb doesn’t have leagues. They do have conferences, and some even divisions…hmmm, sounds familiar to that other football entity where the league record is the overall record.
And who says that mythical can't be changed, things SHOULD CHANGE to make CFB a normal sport, like the rest.
Show where I said it can’t be changed. They are still part of the NCAA and the NCAA doesn’t name an official champ.

In MLB, yes. In your references to the NFL, the league record is the overall record.

cfb doesn’t have leagues. They do have conferences, and some even divisions…hmmm, sounds familiar to that other football entity where the league record is the overall record.

Show where I said it can’t be changed. They are still part of the NCAA and the NCAA doesn’t name an official champ.
CFB DOES HAVE LEAGUES, ACC, SEC, B1G for example. Basically you're OK with the way things are, because you want the status quo where only certain teams ever get into a tiny tournament, and also you probably think that CHAMPION has something to do with being THE BEST TEAM, when the reality is, that the best team is champion most times, but sometimes they aren't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT