ADVERTISEMENT

Actual Morgantown atmosphere thoughts

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Changing the subject a bit, here's some of my takeaways from the game atmosphere

- walking into the game was different. WVU fans weren't harassing. First time I experienced that. It was like walking into any other stadium. The other times I've been down there, you get harrassed and sworn out the entire time.

- WVU fans seemed pretty lame to be honest. Maybe its because they suck. Maybe its because we suck but they didnt seem as into the game as they have in the past. The game atmosphere was pretty dead. Probably due to the fact it was boring as hell but they didnt seem loud or hostile. It almost didnt feel like a road game. Really weird vibe.

- The atmosphere at Acrisure was absolutely electric last year and I think WVU fans would agree. A thousand times better than Saturday but again, that's probably due to the fact it was a terrible game.

- Parking down there is very "West Virginia." Parked in some small field a few blocks from the stadium in what seemed to be a lower class or lower middle class neighborhood

- Didnt notice anyone too drunk or any fights. The only annoying thing is any time WVU would do something good, a half dozen or so WVU fans would turn around and flip off the Pitt fan section.

- WV does have to have the ugliest people. Every time I am in WV and I see these people I wonder if they'd look any different if they were born into a rich family in Wexford. I know its a weird thought but you dont see these Mountain-people around here. Well in Fayette County, Greene, etc you do.

The atmosphere came across as fairly electric on TV.

And unfortunately, the place seemed like it was really rocking the last few minutes of the game, when I assume most Pitt fans were probably trying to get the hell out of dodge.

Reactions: bdur76 and ldkjr516
The atmosphere came across as fairly electric on TV.

And unfortunately, the place seemed like it was really rocking the last few minutes of the game, when I assume most Pitt fans were probably trying to get the hell out of dodge.

I left with 5 minutes left but I dont know how electric it could be at the end when thr result was already known.

Loved our time on Saturday. Fans were very nice. A couple ESP but last year at heinz their fans were 1000% more aggressive and worse. Will go again in 2 yrs

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
- Didnt notice anyone too drunk or any fights. The only annoying thing is any time WVU would do something good, a half dozen or so WVU fans would turn around and flip off the Pitt fan section.
I don’t know where you sat, but this could very well have been my section as well. There were a bunch of drunk fans that would turn around and taunt Pitt fans but thankfully the booze seemed to catch up with them and they left before the game ended.

I saw several WVU fans passed out or falling down drunk before the game, but that happens everywhere. Most of them kept to themselves or were even friendly. Happy to say I saw no fights and nothing thrown at us, other than a few middle fingers, f-bombs, and the usual. But hey, can’t expect blood from a stone. Their love of the ESP chant used to annoy me, but then I realized that most of them also laugh at Larry the Cable Guy and find NASCAR riveting.

Reactions: Brutus99
I left with 5 minutes left but I dont know how electric it could be at the end when thr result was already known.
It was just one huge ass euphoric party atmosphere, as you would expect.

And then a few hours later, I think for the first time, I witnessed a fanbase storm the field after winning a game in which they were 25 point favorites.

Last edited:
what Did you think of their version of sweet caroline
See my comment above, in general I think it appeals to the lowest common denominator. (I personally prefer cheering for my team over against / about another.) But hey, let them have their fun. The school endorsement of vulgarity (along with the Rasheed Marshall video pot shot) does nothing to combat their image as a second class institution. But it got them fired up so go on. Funny though, I remember the same school and fan base being awfully thin skinned over Don Ireland. 🤔

Changing the subject a bit, here's some of my takeaways from the game atmosphere

- walking into the game was different. WVU fans weren't harassing. First time I experienced that. It was like walking into any other stadium. The other times I've been down there, you get harrassed and sworn out the entire time.

- WVU fans seemed pretty lame to be honest. Maybe its because they suck. Maybe its because we suck but they didnt seem as into the game as they have in the past. The game atmosphere was pretty dead. Probably due to the fact it was boring as hell but they didnt seem loud or hostile. It almost didnt feel like a road game. Really weird vibe.

- The atmosphere at Acrisure was absolutely electric last year and I think WVU fans would agree. A thousand times better than Saturday but again, that's probably due to the fact it was a terrible game.

- Parking down there is very "West Virginia." Parked in some small field a few blocks from the stadium in what seemed to be a lower class or lower middle class neighborhood

- WV does have to have the ugliest people. Every time I am in WV and I see these people I wonder if they'd look any different if they were born into a rich family in Wexford. I know its a weird thought but you dont see these Mountain-people around here. Well in Fayette County, Greene, etc you do.
I thought the atmosphere was good. Absolutely no issues with WVU fans. There were a few WVU boos early. If we had an offense we could have turned their fans against them….
It a was very boring game for a neutral national audience. A know a few “neutrals” who tuned out. Barely better than a top end high school game. Quarterbacks on both teams were pathetic.
They took a few jabs at us. The former WVU player pumping the fans on the video board before the game:
“We have something Pitt will never have. A fan base!” Loud cheers…. Ouch!
As to them having a mountain people look. Everything is relevant. I’m pretty positive when SMU fans from Dallas visit Pittsburgh they will feel that way about the “Pittsburgh look”.

what Did you think of their version of sweet caroline

I think WVU tries too hard to lean into a vulgar chant. It doesnt offend me or anything. Its just annoying to me that the unofficial state slogan contains a vulgarity. They even showed an infant on the jumbotron with an ESP onesie. That was pretty funny though.

You can tell the game means a lot to those people and if they behave like they mostly did on Saturday, I am happy to keep playing them. They did seem to be on their best behavior. Even walked past the student line going into the stadium and they didnt say anything.

Back to Sweet Caroline, I did find it a little pathetic how proud they were of that. All the cell phones recording it, it looked like a Taylor Swift concert.

Oh, one last thing, I found it really really odd that ALL the pregame music was 90s rap. I was trying to figure out if there was some theme going but couldnt.

See my comment above, in general I think it appeals to the lowest common denominator. (I personally prefer cheering for my team over against / about another.) But hey, let them have their fun. The school endorsement of vulgarity (along with the Rasheed Marshall video pot shot) does nothing to combat their image as a second class institution. But it got them fired up so go on. Funny though, I remember the same school and fan base being awfully thin skinned over Don Ireland. 🤔
Wvcc is a barbaric fanbase that is rude, crude, and vulgar. They set a great example for young kids with all that BS, weed, urine smell, & t-shirts. The Pitt hatred is so disgusting but laughable. $95 a ticket wasn't worth it to see the Cig and Jurk show down there.
Ron Cook said the atmosphere was super with great tailgating. Maybe he was chugging the moonshine out of the plastic gallon milk containers with huggy bear.

Reactions: bschulter
Wvcc is a barbaric fanbase that is rude, crude, and vulgar. They set a great example for young kids with all that BS, weed, urine smell, & t-shirts. The Pitt hatred is so disgusting but laughable. $95 a ticket wasn't worth it to see the Cig and Jurk show down there.
Ron Cook said the atmosphere was super with great tailgating. Maybe he was chugging the moonshine out of the plastic gallon milk containers with huggy bear.

A whole lot of the fanbase had t-shirts with obscenities on it and not just ESP. A popular one said "Bitch, I'm a Mountaineer" on the back. Probably could have done without the B word and still be an adequate shirt.

I will say that most of these fans did fit the WV stereotypes. They look "poor." But they were mostly well behaved so props for that. I just wished we gave them a better game because it was such a dud that the place was dead.

A whole lot of the fanbase had t-shirts with obscenities on it and not just ESP. A popular one said "Bitch, I'm a Mountaineer" on the back. Probably could have done without the B word and still be an adequate shirt.

I will say that most of these fans did fit the WV stereotypes. They look "poor." But they were mostly well behaved so props for that. I just wished we gave them a better game because it was such a dud that the place was dead.
I'm sure u wore Pitt gear too. Lmao u were right there with those clowns kissing their asses. Plzzzzz

Reactions: bschulter
I'm sure u wore Pitt gear too. Lmao u were right there with those clowns kissing their asses. Plzzzzz

Huh? Yes, I wore Pitt gear and I was in the Pitt section. One thing I was wondering though was if there was a lower level Pitt section. Every other time I was there, I was in the Pitt section in the lower endzone. The Furman to AB shoeless catch was right near me. I didnt see a lower Pitt section Saturday though. I was in the upper corner but couldnt see the section below me so maybe that was it.

Another thing, didnt realize they had a Children's Hospital down there. I guess that's new? Looks like a nice building. Good for them.

This thread is an horrible attempt at some serious spin. Everyone watching the game could see it was a great atmosphere and why the game should be played every year.

I will check the ACC network Saturday around 1030 pm against North Carolina to see how if your crowd is matching the atmosphere you experienced at Mountaineer Field. Best of luck. Maybe your starting QB improves this week.

Reactions: OmarMarino
This thread is an horrible attempt at some serious spin. Everyone watching the game could see it was a great atmosphere and why the game should be played every year.

I will check the ACC network Saturday around 1030 pm against North Carolina to see how if your crowd is matching the atmosphere you experienced at Mountaineer Field. Best of luck. Maybe your starting QB improves this week.

I mean it was packed and the stripe was cool but the place was dead. I have been there for great crowds. Saturday wasnt one. But, again, that was probably due to the game being terrible with 2 really bad teams playing. If it had been a game similar to last years, maybe the place would have been rocking.

I mean it was packed and the stripe was cool but the place was dead. I have been there for great crowds. Saturday wasnt one. But, again, that was probably due to the game being terrible with 2 really bad teams playing. If it had been a game similar to last years, maybe the place would have been rocking.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Way to double down on your silliness. Nobody
Is going to buy it. You can create multiple accounts on here and try to sell it if you want. However I'm pretty confident that Pitt fans are not even that dumb. Apparently I think higher of them than you do.

Reactions: FireballZ

WVU fans weren't harassing....WVU fans seemed pretty lame to be honest...Do you think that maybe, just maybe, they perceived you to be a special needs individual and were just being nice because of that? I mean they have a lot of experience with mothers who are sisters to their sons and all so the are quite perceptive of this sort of thing...

Pretty much agree with everything SMF said. The fans were fine and outside of the ESP chant (which is comical in how dumb it is) I didn't really hear much heckling. The atmosphere before the game was impressive but once that train wreck of a game started neither side had much to cheer about and it was definitely less electric than previous Pitt - WVU games I've attended.

WVU fans weren't harassing....WVU fans seemed pretty lame to be honest...Do you think that maybe, just maybe, they perceived you to be a special needs individual and were just being nice because of that? I mean they have a lot of experience with mothers who are sisters to their sons and all so the are quite perceptive of this sort of thing...

Lot's of Special needs people in Pennsylvania too. Also alot of trailer parks and double wides. You would know this if you occasionally got out of your Mom's basement.

Constantly making fun of the less fortunate in this world is a bad look. Especially when you have plenty of it in your State too. For your sake I hope recruits don't read this board. SMDH.

Lot's of Special needs people in Pennsylvania too. Also alot of trailer parks and double wides. You would know this if you occasionally got out of your Mom's basement.

Constantly making fun of the less fortunate in this world is a bad look. Especially when you have plenty of it in your State too. For your sake I hope recruits don't read this board. SMDH.
Relax Cletus, I was just making sport of SMF and as far as I know did not make fun of the less fortunate...maybe you can point out where I did..

Don Ireland was the G.O.A.T. for that stuff. Good clean rivalry fun and even most WVU loved it. Shameful that Pitt didn't have his back when WVU decided to make an issue out of it. On the scale of offensive insults, those are about a .5 out of 10.

“The owner of a tractor with West Virginia license plate number E-I-E-I-O please report to the parking lot – your lights are on.”

Later he expanded on Pitt Stadium’s smoking policy by ad-libbing, “Fans are not permitted to smoke inside Pitt Stadium – that includes cigarettes, cigars and corncob pipes.”

They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Reactions: Pitt MD
Don Ireland was the G.O.A.T. for that stuff. Good clean rivalry fun and even most WVU loved it. Shameful that Pitt didn't have his back when WVU decided to make an issue out of it. On the scale of offensive insults, those are about a .5 out of 10.

“The owner of a tractor with West Virginia license plate number E-I-E-I-O please report to the parking lot – your lights are on.”

Later he expanded on Pitt Stadium’s smoking policy by ad-libbing, “Fans are not permitted to smoke inside Pitt Stadium – that includes cigarettes, cigars and corncob pipes.”

They don't make 'em like that anymore.

I heard a funny one about the last tornado to hit WV. It caused $25 million in improvements.

Don Ahrland and Donny Ahris. Two proud sons of Pittsburgh.

As a WVU fan, I was so happy to see this game again live. My son was born a week before the 2011 game in Morgantown and we have both been looking forward to the return of the Backyard Brawl.

How can you not appreciate a good rivalry? You all have already said we are ugly, poor, and commit incest. Good for you. So how can you not appreciate the fact that WVU fans absolutely hijacked your beloved “Sweet Caroline”, made it our own (I don’t condone the language because I don’t use it and am teaching my children not to), and now force you to sing our version in your head every time you hear the song? Rivalries are great.

And the atmosphere was absolutely electric, just like in Pittsburgh last year. It’s the way it should be.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Relax Cletus, I was just making sport of SMF and as far as I know did not make fun of the less fortunate...maybe you can point out where I did..
I heard a funny one about the last tornado to hit WV. It caused $25 million in improvements.

👆

Same person with multiple accounts. Lives with his mom and drinks Jim Beam. He lives with his mom because working for Rivals doesn't pay that well. Especially when you run off all the less fortunate in Pennsylvania that follow sports. Plenty of them living in affordable housing. Seems like a shitty way to run a business when so many Americans are having a rough go at it right now.

👆

Same person with multiple accounts. Lives with his mom and drinks Jim Beam. He lives with his mom because working for Rivals doesn't pay that well. Especially when you run off all the less fortunate in Pennsylvania that follow sports. Plenty of them living in affordable housing. Seems like a shitty way to run a business when so many Americans are having a rough go at it right now.
Why are you here?

Why are you here?

You don't like to talk football? I didn't start the stereotyping however I don't mind pointing out Pennsylvania has got all the same problems as West Virginia. Actually more. Ask your mom if you can borrow the car and go for a drive so you can see it first hand. Good luck against North Carolina next week. I hope to see some fans still there by the end of the third quarter.

You don't like to talk football? I didn't start the stereotyping however I don't mind pointing out Pennsylvania has got all the same problems as West Virginia. Actually more. Ask your mom if you can borrow the car and go for a drive so you can see it first hand. Good luck against North Carolina next week. I hope to see some fans still there by the end of the third quarter.
You do know what the word "stereotype" means do you not? PA may have some interbred slack jawed yokels like yourself (see Fetterman, John. US Senate) but there is no national perception as to such like in West Virginia. Now go away or I shall continue to taunt you with more clever taunts than your silly trailer park "your mom" references.....since she has been dead for about 6 years they have little effect.

As a WVU fan, I was so happy to see this game again live. My son was born a week before the 2011 game in Morgantown and we have both been looking forward to the return of the Backyard Brawl.

How can you not appreciate a good rivalry? You all have already said we are ugly, poor, and commit incest. Good for you. So how can you not appreciate the fact that WVU fans absolutely hijacked your beloved “Sweet Caroline”, made it our own (I don’t condone the language because I don’t use it and am teaching my children not to), and now force you to sing our version in your head every time you hear the song? Rivalries are great.

And the atmosphere was absolutely electric, just like in Pittsburgh last year. It’s the way it should be.

I was against bringing back this rivalry when they stopped playing....mainly due to WVU fan behavior. I changed my mind a few years ago (before its return). My thinking was that Pitt needed a game, I needed a game that was worth "more than a game." PSU wont play us and we dont have that game in the ACC. So I am glad its back. And seeing first-hand that WVU fan behavior has improved (as it generally seemed like any random Pitt road game I've been to), the decision to bring it back is even smarter.

We can disagree on the electricity of the crowd. To me it was no different than any other road game I've been to. Was it better than a typical WVU home game? I wouldn't know. But it was light years worse than the White/Slaton days Brawls. I guess it was better than the Freshman Rasheed Marshall game I went to but WVU sucked.

On Sweet Caroline, too much leaning into an obscenity. It just furthers the stereotypes.

All and all, I thought I was complimentary to WVU fans as they mostly acted like regular humans.

My car (with a Pitt panther logo) was keyed. I should have known better. Generally a low class crowd. Little kids about 8 years old yelling "eat s##t Pitt" in front of their parents. I guess that is the vocabulary they teach their kids in WV.

You do know what the word "stereotype" means do you not? PA may have some interbred slack jawed yokels like yourself (see Fetterman, John. US Senate) but there is no national perception as to such like in West Virginia. Now go away or I shall continue to taunt you with more clever taunts than your silly trailer park "your mom" references.....since she has been dead for about 6 years they have little effect.

You sound like Fetterman. No doubt you voted for him. Your Mom is perfectly healthy and let her know before she starts asking for back child support you are way to dumb to be mine. So before you start calling me Daddy I'm going to insist on a paternity test.

My car (with a Pitt panther logo) was keyed. I should have known better. Generally a low class crowd. Little kids about 8 years old yelling "eat s##t Pitt" in front of their parents. I guess that is the vocabulary they teach their kids in WV.

Now tell us about the time it got left on blocks the last time you parked it in downtown Pittsburgh. Show a police report/ insurance claim or it didn't happen.

Last edited:
I was there around 2:30 to sell my tickets. Nice atmosphere and beautiful weather for the game. There was significant tailgating prior to the game and the lots were essentially full. The usual light-hearted jabs before a game, but nothing criminal. I'd return to WVU for a game. The local church offered us free parking and a free tailgate meal which we graciously accepted.

I was there around 2:30 to sell my tickets. Nice atmosphere and beautiful weather for the game. There was significant tailgating prior to the game and the lots were essentially full. The usual light-hearted jabs before a game, but nothing criminal. I'd return to WVU for a game. The local church offered us free parking and a free tailgate meal which we graciously accepted.

I wasnt looking forward to going down to their typical unruly behavior but I would agree that I would go back. It was a nice typical road game atmosphere. Nothing crazy.

Are people really offended that much by the obscenity in ESP?

I attend UVA basketball games, (supposedly a wine and cheese school of the Commonwealth) and I hear BS after a bad call all the time. It comes across on televised college basketball games fairly often too. How is that different?

Not cool…

That was more like what I saw when I went down there in the Big East days. People just swearing right at you in your face as you were walking in. I never felt in danger or anything but its uncomfortable to have people walk up to you and say "Eff you." Its just not something you'd ever experience at any other time in your life. The hatred seemed unhealthy. These were students in this video and I didn't seem to walk through any student lots or anything though where they filmed this video seemed to be the area where I parked and about the time of day I got there so I dont know.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt_Traveler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT