ADVERTISEMENT

Are you satisfied? The response better be a resounding No

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
In 2008 going into the Big East Tournament Finals, Jamie Dixon in the locker room asked his players 3 times in a row in the locker room, Are you satisfied? And 3 times the response got louder with conviction, No, we are not satisfied. The rest is history, Pitt buried Georgetown to win the Big East Tournament.

No, we are not satisfied. All offseason people said Pitt's backcourt is a complete joke and a disgrace. No, we didn't forget. No, we didn't forget people saying Pitt is going to be a disaster in the backcourt and had zero talented guards.

We are going to New York now, This team better step up 10 fold against Florida. Florida thinks they are going to blow Pitt out. We better do something about that...

Reactions: mo cheeks and Jim Z
In 2008 going into the Big East Tournament Finals, Jamie Dixon in the locker room asked his players 3 times in a row in the locker room, Are you satisfied? And 3 times the response got louder with conviction, No, we are not satisfied. The rest is history, Pitt buried Georgetown to win the Big East Tournament.

No, we are not satisfied. All offseason people said Pitt's backcourt is a complete joke and a disgrace. No, we didn't forget. No, we didn't forget people saying Pitt is going to be a disaster in the backcourt and had zero talented guards.

We are going to New York now, This team better step up 10 fold against Florida. Florida thinks they are going to blow Pitt out. We better do something about that...

Its go time... All heart.... No brakes. gas pedal down....

Another thing I like about our program is the ability of the staff to scout our opponents and game plan to take away certain things teams do. The staff is also good at countering what gets thrown at us offensively and defensively early on if it differs from the scout.

Capel is really good when he has the players. Really good. He can’t make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Well that’s frustrating to hear. Lol. So they don’t like Ish as the headliner of our portal haul and our roster construction is a mess and the backcourt is a disaster? Solid takes.

Well that’s frustrating to hear. Lol. So they don’t like Ish as the headliner of our portal haul and our roster construction is a mess and the backcourt is a disaster? Solid takes.

It's not frustrating, it's motivating. People have trashed our backcourt repeatedly in the preseason. Jeff Goodman had Pitt 13th in the acc in the preseason polls.

Every college basketball enthusiast is going to be watching these games to see if Pitt is a pretender.

Its not about asking or hoping for respect going into the next 2 games against Florida and Baylor. Its about taking respect like old school Pitt basketball. Its time we enter New York with a major chip on our shoulder with something to prove... Just like in 2008 going into the Big East Tournament Finals.

Like I said, there is a bunch of SEC and Florida fans thinking they are going to run us right out of the gym and blow Pitt out. Pitt's defense and guards should have all the motivation they need going into this game.

We should be entering this game Humble and extremely Hungry...

After seeing so many top 25 teams struggle and lose to worse teams than we've played so far I'm pretty excited about this team. I expect a close game against Florida and OK if we lose an early one on a neutral court. But I think so far they have shown they can compete with any team in the country.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
At some point we are going to face a good team and not look great. But it is not going to be because of these flaws being pointed out or “being satisfied”.

It’s just part of being a growing team (or college basketball in general). It’s going to happen - and it’s OK. This is going to be a fun year.

At some point we are going to face a good team and not look great. But it is not going to be because of these flaws being pointed out or “being satisfied”.

It’s just part of being a growing team (or college basketball in general). It’s going to happen - and it’s OK. This is going to be a fun year.

And that is perfectly fine (the part I bolded)

But we better not lose or not look great because of poor effort and poor tenacity on defense because that is what we showed against Florida Gulf Coast when that team pushed us all over the court including our bigs all game long.

And that same Florida Gulf Coast team that Capel said was a decent team? They just got their ass kicked by Missouri State.

Reactions: rockypanther

Rah, rah, go team go! "we better do something about that"...classic....Most inspirational speech I have heard since that last Cheez-it cheeseist commercial...btw, why would an average Florida team think they would "blow out" Pitt 600 miles from home?

Last edited:
It's not frustrating, it's motivating. People have trashed our backcourt repeatedly in the preseason. Jeff Goodman had Pitt 13th in the acc in the preseason polls

No it’s not motivating. It’s frustrating. We are all just fans. What are we going to do, watch games harder? Watch games with a chip on our shoulder?

I see what you’re doing though. You’re trying to play coach from a message board. I love your insight though.

No it’s not motivating. It’s frustrating. We are all just fans. What are we going to do, watch games harder? Watch games with a chip on our shoulder?

I see what you’re doing though. You’re trying to play coach from a message board. I love your insight though.

Im just trying to keep things grounded like I did before and keep this team hungry. Im not going to say we are a top 25 team, Bub is a superstar in the making, we are underrated, "we are back" ect...

Respect is earned, not given. And we have the opportunity to earn it against Florida and Baylor.

The only number that is important right now is the 0 in the loss column. I want to keep it that way through the New York trip.

• Love
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Vader, sometimes you wake up at 💯. But, I agree with the sentiment that this Brooklyn series will weigh a lot of the national contender or pretender narrative, and is a huge opportunity on a bigger stage. Just remember it’s ok to take a breath, have fun watching this team grow, and enjoy the moment(s) they create throughout the season, for your own sanity.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Vader, sometimes you wake up at 💯. But, I agree with the sentiment that this Brooklyn series will weigh a lot of the national contender or pretender narrative, and is a huge opportunity on a bigger stage. Just remember it’s ok to take a breath, have fun watching this team grow, and enjoy the moment(s) they create throughout the season, for your own sanity.

I, and many other folks, have waited a really long time to say 3 words. And I am talking years upon years to say these 3 words.

"Pitt IS back"

This is the year we have the opportunity to say those words and actually mean it. We have not earned the right to say it yet. But man I want to say it as it feels like its getting close...

Last edited:
Im just trying to keep things grounded like I did before and keep this team hungry. Im not going to say we are a top 25 team, Bub is a superstar in the making, we are underrated, "we are back" ect...

Respect is earned, not given. And we have the opportunity to earn it against Florida and Baylor.

The only number that is important right now is the 0 in the loss column. I want to keep it that way through the New York trip.
I’m genuinely curious how you think anything you do is gonna impact the team. You wanna keep this team hungry. Cool, I get it. But you think you posting on a message board does that?

I remember you as Putt12. Don’t recall being this bizarre.

I don’t remember this at all and I was in that locker room standing beside Jamie

We all know it will get way tougher without you schooling us. Are we supposed to be pissed off with last nights game. You sound like Mark Madden with being negative about positive developments.

You can't seriously think that what you post on this message board is going to make some sort of real difference in the way that the team plays, can you?
This is far from the first time. It’s just weird and I’m convinced he does believe it.

When he first appeared I said he seemed like he wanted to look important. I wasn’t wrong.

We all know it will get way tougher without you schooling us. Are we supposed to be pissed off with last nights game. You sound like Mark Madden with being negative about positive developments.
Not only that, we had a really good year last year and somehow seem like we may be better this year. I’m not understanding anything negative about this team yet. And this is coming from someone who’s always called negative on this site.

How can the biggest cheerleader of the 4 terrible teams we’ve had in the Capel era somehow now be the arbiter of bad news and reason?

You’re trying to play coach from a message board... to the paid mercenaries who make up college basketball rosters in 2023. They just laugh at the notion...

You can't seriously think that what you post on this message board is going to make some sort of real difference in the way that the team plays, can you?

Maybe not.

Although Trey Mcgowens shut his social media down while at Pitt because he couldn't handle the negativity online. And he openly admitted to reading comments online from Pitt fans and other sources that effected him negativity which resulted in him shutting his media down. X also shut his media down at Pitt, although he never admitted to it that it effected him like Trey did.

Obviously what I say has no weight since Im posting anonymously.

Me reporting to this board that Jeff Goodman thinks Pitt is the 13th best team in the ACC, a guy with 350K followers, has weight. Or me posting a link to a gambling website that has 20K followers of 3 guys completely ripping Pitt and Pitt's backcourt should carry weight.

You better believe players read that stuff.

Maybe not.

Although Trey Mcgowens shut his social media down while at Pitt because he couldn't handle the negativity online. And he openly admitted to reading comments online from Pitt fans and other sources that effected him negativity. X also shut his media down at Pitt, although he never admitted to it that it effected him like Trey did.

Me reporting to this board that Jeff Goodman thinks Pitt is the 13th best team in the ACC, a guy with 350K followers, has weight. Or me posting a link to a gambling website that has 20K followers of 3 guys completely ripping Pitt and Pitt's backcourt should carry weight.

Well Trey McGowens sucked soooo

Not only that, we had a really good year last year and somehow seem like we may be better this year. I’m not understanding anything negative about this team yet. And this is coming from someone who’s always called negative on this site.

How can the biggest cheerleader of the 4 terrible teams we’ve had in the Capel era somehow now be the arbiter of bad news and reason?
Yeah, everyone complained about kenpom and NET last year…but they weren’t wrong. Last year’s team just fell into the weird hole that the efficiency metrics don’t cover - a team that wins a bunch of close games because of sheer force of will and the collective set of nuts on a bunch of 23 year old super seniors. You see teams like that, and the efficiency metrics never really seem to know how to properly rate them.

This year’s team is winning games because they actually might just be pretty good. I’ll love the shit out of the 2022-23 team forever, but this team is different. They might just be regular good, not “winning by guts and desire” good.

It is certainly possible that some players saw that stuff on line, even without you posting about it on this message board (I know that's got to be hard to believe for you), but the notion that, for instance, Bub Carrington is playing well just so he can show those three guys on a gambling web site with almost no following that they were wrong about Pitt is laughable.

Like if those three guys hadn't said anything at all about Pitt Carrington would have sucked so far this year, right?

Maybe not.

Although Trey Mcgowens shut his social media down while at Pitt because he couldn't handle the negativity online. And he openly admitted to reading comments online from Pitt fans and other sources that effected him negativity which resulted in him shutting his media down. X also shut his media down at Pitt, although he never admitted to it that it effected him like Trey did.

Or me posting a link to a gambling website that has 20K followers of 3 guys completely ripping Pitt and Pitt's backcourt should carry weight... 20 thousand? Wow, like a Thursday night Pitt game at Heinz... uh, not really.

Yeah, everyone complained about kenpom and NET last year…but they weren’t wrong. Last year’s team just fell into the weird hole that the efficiency metrics don’t cover - a team that wins a bunch of close games because of sheer force of will and the collective set of nuts on a bunch of 23 year old super seniors. You see teams like that, and the efficiency metrics never really seem to know how to properly rate them.

Which is why the NCAA does not select teams for the tournament and does not seed teams for the tournament based on their NET rating. Which is good for us, because if they did we would have not made the tournament last year.

It is certainly possible that some players saw that stuff on line, even without you posting about it on this message board (I know that's got to be hard to believe for you), but the notion that, for instance, Bub Carrington is playing well just so he can show those three guys on a gambling web site with almost no following that they were wrong about Pitt is laughable.

Like if those three guys hadn't said anything at all about Pitt Carrington would have sucked so far this year, right?

Its locker room material.

Even Pros take it personal with media that slander them.

Its locker room material.

Even Pros take it personal with media that slander them.

That is quite possibly the most overrated thing in all of sports.

When a player talks about how badly they wanted to win because of some disrespect, perceived or real, from the media or an opponent, the next question for them should always be "so if so and so didn't disrespect you you wouldn't have cared about tonight's game and wouldn't have been motivated to win?"

Because that is the implication of saying that you played hard because someone disrespected you. Without the disrespect you wouldn't have bothered to give your best effort. Which says a lot about a player, and none of it good.

That is quite possibly the most overrated thing in all of sports.

When a player talks about how badly they wanted to win because of some disrespect, perceived or real, from the media or an opponent, the next question for them should always be "so if so and so didn't disrespect you you wouldn't have cared about tonight's game and wouldn't have been motivated to win?"

Because that is the implication of saying that you played hard because someone disrespected you. Without the disrespect you wouldn't have bothered to give your best effort. Which says a lot about a player, and none of it good.

You should tell that to Jaland Lowe and this backcourt.

Because Jaland Lowe literally addressed this in the preseason in a media session, and I even posted this here before.

In quote,

"we know all the negative things people are saying about us, and we are going to prove ourselves right and prove other people wrong"

And through 4 games, these guards did just that.

Because Jaland Lowe literally addressed this in the preseason in a media session, and I even posted this here before.

In quote,

"we know all the negative things people are saying about us, and we are going to prove ourselves right and prove other people wrong"

BTW, I love the fact that our guards took all that preseason negativity personal. As they should have. Lowe is going to be a great leader one day for this program. Awesome character on and off the court.

The players and coaches don't know who you are and don't read your posts.

The players and coaches don't know who you are and don't read your posts.

It doesn't matter if they do or don't read what I write.

They absolutely read all the preseason press on Pitt and all the negative nonsense talked about them in the preseason. Especially all that preseason junk in regards to our backcourt being weak.

And I posted a video of our freshmen guard addressing this negativity.

Jaland Lowe,

"we know everything (negatively) of what people are saying about us in the preseason"

"we are going to prove ourselves right and prove others wrong"

Keep at it Jaland.

This isnt about me. Its about proving the negative naysayers wrong. People like Jeff Goodman. And yes, the players on our team obviously care what other people say, or Jaland Lowe would not have said anything at all. He said it loudly and he said it clearly in an actual press conference for you and all the other people responding to me in this thread. The players CARE about negative press and what was said about them. And they are doing something about it.

It doesn't matter if they do or don't read what I write.

They absolutely read all the preseason press on Pitt and all the negative nonsense talked about them in the preseason. Especially all that preseason junk in regards to our backcourt being weak.

And I posted a video of our freshmen guard addressing this negativity.

Jaland Lowe,

"we know everything (negatively) of what people are saying about us in the preseason"

"we are going to prove ourselves right and prove others wrong"

Keep at it Jaland.

This isnt about me. Its about proving the negative naysayers wrong. People like Jeff Goodman. And yes, the players on our team obviously care what other people say, or Jaland Lowe would not have said anything at all. He said it loudly and he said it clearly in an actual press conference for you and all the other people responding to me in this thread. The players CARE about negative press and what was said about them. And they are doing something about it.
Well, it's good then, they sound driven to prove the naysayers wrong.

In quote,

So like I said, the follow up question should have then been "so if you are doing what you are doing because some people said negative things about you, then the clear implication of that is that if no one had said anything negative about you you wouldn't be trying so hard. Are you really telling us that if no one has anything bad to say about you you won't be bothered to try so hard and play well?"

"Media, writers, the other team, someone on the internet, some mean dude who passed me on the street, said something bad about me so I'm going to give it my all to prove them wrong" is nothing more than a standard sports cliche. It's no different than any of the other tripe you typically hear in a presser. Because I guarantee you, absolutely, 100% guarantee you, that if you asked Lowe if the only reason he gives the effort he does and the only reason he plays as well as he does is because someone said something mean about him he'd look at you like you had two heads.

Because, quite frankly, it's absurd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT