ADVERTISEMENT

Blast from the past. Chatman vs Schalles.

Dallas Burgher

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2001
Many of you will remember this match when Wade Schalles pinned John Chatman at 154 in the 1969 state finals. It is my only claim to fame because I am the goofy looking guy in the stands at about 120 or 122 in the video. Yeah, I know, I am watching from the stands with all the other losers. Still think about it weekly.

Link

Thanks Dallas that was awesome. I was at a camp in 1974 that had schalles,

Don Rohn and Bill Simpson from Clarion as instructors. Schalles had all kinds of unorthodox ideas and style that you'd think would never be taught. He had imagination that he used during a match that most would never attempt.

I wonder how Pitt would have turned out if Bob Bubb had returned to coach

Pitt in mid 70's.

Schalles was very unorthodox, but it always worked. It seemed like he always turned the wrong way but it always worked. Supposedly that was one of the many reasons he left PSU. He wouldn't do things the coach's way.

But the thing that made him great was his cradle and the fact that he could maneuver into it almost at will after he got a takedown. He was patient in taking the time he needed to get it. He didn't try to rush it. And once he got it, it was curtains. No one was a better pinner.

This match could be compared to the Joe Louis - Billy Conn fight, when Conn could've won if only he'd listened to his corner men and stayed away at the end.

Chatman had Schalles beaten - if he would've let him up and wrestled him on his feet. As good as Schalles was, Chatman was much better than Schalles, but only in the neutral position. His coach was yelling - almost pleading - for Chatman to let him up. But Chatman wanted to turn Schalles - if not pin him - just to show that he could.

A huge mistake.

Schalles was at his best when he was underneath....

And this isn't my opinion - I got it from the "horse's mouth". His coach still talks about it to this day.
wink.r191677.gif

Thanks for the video, Dallas .......

that was a TREMENDOUS clip !!!!!!!

great match now can you..

find a video of Henry Green of huntingdon beating Jimmy Carr in regionals at Altoona jaffa mosque...that was absolutely the greatest hs wrestling match i have ever seen personally. we were all standing on the seats cheering

Re: I wonder how Pitt would have turned out if Bob Bubb had returned to coach

he coached at Tyrone HS before going to Clarion

Re: I almost went to Clarion

but got swept away by Ohio U's facilities and Stan Abel's bs. I would have been better off going to Clarion.

Re: Was that from John

Originally posted by Dallas Burgher:
or Joe Shook?
Coach Joe. He and his staff were convinced that John could've won a takedown battle with Schalles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT