ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Kelly to LSU?

PhPanther1

Sophomore
Apr 16, 2016
Ross Dellenger of The Advocate writes that LSU’s search is focused, once again, on Jimbo Fisher. After Fisher, Dellenger says LSU still believes Tom Herman would consider their offer. Thereafter, there seems to be a number of other largely offensive minded coaches, plus Ed Orgeron in the mix. At FootballScoop we hear that Jimbo is the target; but thereafter we hear Tom Herman is not pushing for this one; but hear Brian Kelly would entertain the phone call and could ultimately wind up being the choice. Sources tell FootballScoop LSU officials are telling representatives of coaches that they want this search done within days of LSU’s final game. We’ll keep you posted.

http://footballscoop.com/The-Scoop/

Reactions: pittbb80
With Texas reportedly firing Strong tonight, you'd have to think Tom Herman is the prohibitive favorite for that gig.

I could see Fisher going to LSU. It would be tough to leave Florida State but that is an attractive job.

It's funny because I think Mark Richt likely would've ended up at Florida State had he been fired a year later. Would the Seminoles roll the dice on Lane Kiffin?

I don't think Brian Kelly is going anywhere.

Kelly to LSU would seem strange, but it would start Kelly a new life-line in Baton Rouge. With the coaches they are rumored to be looking at plus canning and eating salary with Miles, they seem to be in the ball park for what it could cost to get Kelly. Hell, Notre Dame after this season may just as much not fight his departure very much.

Herman will be the interesting one. He will have a small bidding war. Have to think Texas makes a lot of sense for him. Offensive coach with all the resources in a conference that isnt very strong right now. Let those offers roll in though, as you know Texas has the money to outspend anyone.

How can't FSU keep Jimbo? I would think the Nike $$ and other benefits from FSU would be better than LSU.

How can't FSU keep Jimbo? I would think the Nike $$ and other benefits from FSU would be better than LSU.

Agree - LSU at best a lateral move.
Is Notre Dame getting tired of Kelly's mediocre efforts?
Price of poker going up

Ross Dellenger of The Advocate writes that LSU’s search is focused, once again, on Jimbo Fisher. After Fisher, Dellenger says LSU still believes Tom Herman would consider their offer. Thereafter, there seems to be a number of other largely offensive minded coaches, plus Ed Orgeron in the mix. At FootballScoop we hear that Jimbo is the target; but thereafter we hear Tom Herman is not pushing for this one; but hear Brian Kelly would entertain the phone call and could ultimately wind up being the choice. Sources tell FootballScoop LSU officials are telling representatives of coaches that they want this search done within days of LSU’s final game. We’ll keep you posted.

http://footballscoop.com/The-Scoop/
Unless some team is willing to pick up Kelly's contract he isn't going anywhere. Notre Dame just finished paying Weis off and extended Kelly's contract this summer. They are not going to fire him.

Jimbo would be dumb to leave FSU. The support/facilities there are great and the pressure isn't near what it is at LSU. LSU is a complete lateral move from Florida State.

And if Jimbo were ever to leave, they need to make the first call to Chris Petersen.

Jimbo would be dumb to leave FSU. The support/facilities there are great and the pressure isn't near what it is at LSU. LSU is a complete lateral move from Florida State.

And if Jimbo were ever to leave, they need to make the first call to Chris Petersen.
-Chris Peterson has rejected so many jobs I've lost count. Don't expect him to leave washingon for a long time.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
IMO, kelly to LSU has to be his agents work feeding a story to keep his client appear as a hot commodity . Even if he didn't have a horrible year at ND, it just doesn't seem to fit.

If true, If I was an LSU fan I would be as thrilled of that hire as the pitt faithful was of Stallings. Not saying Stallings may not be good in the end, but the fans were not happy, and I'd think the same would occur at LSU if kelly hired.

-Chris Peterson has rejected so many jobs I've lost count. Don't expect him to leave washingon for a long time.

Perhaps, but that's the level of coach they could target...guys who are winning big in P5 but at programs a step down from the elite. Tom Herman, David Shaw, etc...

LSU has far more money for football than FSU, but FSU still shouldn't lose a HC over money.

Fisher made MORE than Miles did at LSU by about $1million a year. That number is NOT including "other pay" that Jimbo would make at FSU. Unless you can show me facts, I don't believe it.

Reactions: Thebear612
Unless some team is willing to pick up Kelly's contract he isn't going anywhere. Notre Dame just finished paying Weis off and extended Kelly's contract this summer. They are not going to fire him.
Good I hope he stays at ND and they're terrible again next year.
1.It frees up some recruits to go elsewhere maybe PITT
2.ND wont occupy an ACC bowl game
3.I love to see unhappy ND subway fans so maybe they wont be prancing around with those ugly fighting Leprechan shirts

I agree with the Florida State fans that Fisher is unlikely to leave the Seminoles for LSU. However, that is not remotely out of the question.

LSU is a better job than Florida State. Louisiana, like Florida, has a ludicrous amount of in-state talent. Unlike FSU, LSU has no in-state competition for that talent.

Again, I am not saying that ol' Jimbo is going to leave Florida State because I don't think that will happen for a lot of reasons.

However, somebody from his camp is talking to LSU behind the scenes - or at least floating rumors out there that they are in discussions. They are probably doing that to milk more money/term out of Florida State. However, it would not be completely out of left field if he left Florida's state capital for the Bayou Bengals.

Let me put it another way: Fisher to LSU is much more realistic than Kelly to LSU.

I don't think they're going to end up with either guy. Also, I sincerely believe that Ed Orgeron has a legitimate chance at making that a full-time gig. Now, whether that would be a good long-term decision for LSU is a different question altogether.

[QUOTE="
LSU is a better job than Florida State.
[/QUOTE]

why? The talent/population La/Fla deal is a wash. Better chance of winning the NC out of the ACC than the SEC.

Fisher made MORE than Miles did at LSU by about $1million a year. That number is NOT including "other pay" that Jimbo would make at FSU. Unless you can show me facts, I don't believe it.
Because Fisher was more in demand than Miles and since 2013 Miles hadn't received a real raise, while Fisher had his salary increased by almost 50% the last 2 years.

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/more-news/no-1-in-polls-fsu-ranks-22nd-in-football-revenue.html

So there is that and then a large private ear marked donation gap.

[QUOTE="
LSU is a better job than Florida State.

why? The talent/population La/Fla deal is a wash. Better chance of winning the NC out of the ACC than the SEC.[/QUOTE]

LSU is a better job than FSU, IMO because it is in a better conference, they consistently draw better crowds, and they don't have to compete for in-state talent.

That last point is a pretty big deal.

There are no Florida or Miami equivalents in the state of Louisiana, which, as you said, is comparable to Florida. Hell, there probably aren't even UCF and USF equivalents there.

That is a hell of a job. They may not get Jimbo Fisher because Florida State is a great job too. However, the Bayou Bengals are not going to struggle to attract high quality coaches.

I would be shocked if Jimbo left.

Here is why. And it's not because of the recruiting, money, facilities, or anything that the two respective schools have within their control. The reason I say there is no way he will leave is because of the following.

One thing that is not taken into account, when reading blogs etc. Is that Jimbo recently divorced. He has shared custody of his kids. He takes them to practice and hangs out with them after school. I believe he takes them to school most of the time, and he occasionally gets to make it to their games and practices. Jimbo freaking loves his kids. And I know every father loves their children. But it's on a different level for Jimbo. He loves being around them and loves them being a part of the program etc. So if he left, not only would it be difficult for him to adjust being away from them, but it would CRUSH his kids as well.

So for that reason, I don't see him leaving. Unless his ex is planning on moving to Baton Rouge with them, which i don't see that happening at all.

Just my two cents

yeah, roughly five times the population. Plenty of fish in a huge pond. That is why I said it is a wash... so really not that big of a deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT