ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Bono

So is Hahn preffered over Bono? Thanks from a Pitt fan unfamiliar with the hierarchy of wrestling coaches.

You can be argumentative if you'd like. My point is that what he stated - that Flynn requested things in writing and Pitt wouldn't provide it - is simply wrong. He didn't request it and that part never happened. It wasn't a part of the decision, or the only reason - it simply did not happen. I read things very clearly - no conflating on my end.

Just goes back to what BWH said the other day. You try to provide accurate info and all you get is someone who wants to be the message board Learned Hand.....

Reactions: bwh05
You can be argumentative if you'd like. My point is that what he stated - that Flynn requested things in writing and Pitt wouldn't provide it - is simply wrong. He didn't request it and that part never happened. It wasn't a part of the decision, or the only reason - it simply did not happen. I read things very clearly - no conflating on my end.

Just goes back to what BWH said the other day. You try to provide accurate info and all you get is someone who wants to be the message board Learned Hand.....

The learned hand role seems more fitting for a guy who only has been around only for the coaching search and is declaring he's more in touch than a guy who's covered the team all year in Mr. Patrick.

Any candidate is going, deservedly, to seek out upgrades. That it would be done in writing is not this leap you wish it to be.

You appear to be an alum, so thanks for your service. But you aren't infallible. BWH heard we had Flynn at one point. Then we didn't. Ask yourself why that might be.

While I appreciate your contributions, we're all ultimately going off what we hear and that's worth keeping in mind in situations like this. I promise you we'll still get information if you don't want to provide it. Patrick & Knopsnyder, in particular, are doing great stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: steelton
What does my time on the boards have to do with anything? You're more entitled to post than me?

I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to understand what I'm saying - I'm not speculating - what Patrick said about Flynn is not accurate and not why he turned it down. Why are you taking it so personally? I know Eric - we wrestled together at Pitt, and I'm not saying that either of them lied about anything.

And I wanna be clear - I'm not saying that we didn't screw it up with Flynn, but it was for other reasons than what was stated.

So, can someone tell me what the 4pm talk is going to be about? Is it a done deal?

What does my time on the boards have to do with anything? You're more entitled to post than me?

I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to understand what I'm saying - I'm not speculating - what Patrick said about Flynn is not accurate and not why he turned it down. Why are you taking it so personally? I know Eric - we wrestled together at Pitt, and I'm not saying that either of them lied about anything.

And I wanna be clear - I'm not saying that we didn't screw it up with Flynn, but it was for other reasons than what was stated.

We're equally entitled to post. Your time was brought up only to signify that Mr. Patrick has covered the team for much longer than you've been here and what he hears has as much credibility as what you hear, if not more, due to the track record.

I fail to see where I'm taking anything personally. I'm simply talking about information and the reliability of it. We had Flynn and then we didn't. You heard some things, other people have heard others. What you heard might not be the case, as hard as that may be to swallow.

We're all going off what we hear, including you. It's helpful not to lose sight of that.

My comment was strictly regarding " but he wanted an in writing guarantee of facility upgrades that were promised and Pitt AD would not do it ..... thus Flynn dropped out" not being accurate. It wasn't meant to suggest anyone was lying or to call out Patrick or goalieman or anyone on the board, but rather, to shed light on "The Situation". I know someone who actually spoke to Flynn and I'm telling you that this wasn't the reason he dropped out.

The bottom line is we didn't get Flynn, regardless of the reason why.

My comment was strictly regarding " but he wanted an in writing guarantee of facility upgrades that were promised and Pitt AD would not do it ..... thus Flynn dropped out" not being accurate. It wasn't meant to suggest anyone was lying or to call out Patrick or goalieman or anyone on the board, but rather, to shed light on "The Situation". I know someone who actually spoke to Flynn and I'm telling you that this wasn't the reason he dropped out.

The bottom line is we didn't get Flynn, regardless of the reason why.

First, I appreciate all the dialogue regarding the wrestling team and coaching search by all the posters in these threads..... I haven't seen so much passion on the Olympic Board in a long time and that is great and speaks well for the wrestling community !

I posted Stephen Patrick's blog because it had some interesting tweets regarding the coaching search and he seems to be connected ...... I did say "take it for what it's worth" as I personally can't verify his information but again he obviously has contacts within the program.

If you can say or give us a hint of why Flynn did not take the job, it would be interesting as it would be coming from the Flynn side rather then the Pitt side and maybe the reason was something that our AD had no control over ....... or maybe she did and it would tell us something about the level of commitment the administration has toward wrestling or something we need to improve upon to attract a top hire.

IMO, either Damion Hahn or Chris Bono would be very good hires and I would support them ..... although given a choice, I would have voted for Pat Santoro.

Bono is no Santoro. Yes, he is a good coach. Yes, they finished #16 at the NCAAs. However, most of their points came from two wrestlers. And both of those were transfers from Iowa. Hasn't shown he can recruit at anywhere near the level we need. Not that he would be able to at SDSU.

If he comes, and I don't expect him to, hopefully he will bring AJ Shoop with him as his top assistant.

I have asked this before and haven't gotten an answer. Is the Hahn who some are pushing for
the assistant at Cornell?

Bono is no Santoro. Yes, he is a good coach. Yes, they finished #16 at the NCAAs. However, most of their points came from two wrestlers. And both of those were transfers from Iowa. Hasn't shown he can recruit at anywhere near the level we need. Not that he would be able to at SDSU.

If he comes, and I don't expect him to, hopefully he will bring AJ Shoop with him as his top assistant.

I have asked this before and haven't gotten an answer. Is the Hahn who some are pushing for
the assistant at Cornell?

Yes, Damion Hahn, the associate head coach at Cornell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT