ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Title Game Ratings down

Just FYI. If you are watching 'only he Steelers' you are still watching and supporting the NFL.

And the Steelers certainly aren't above the the other franchises in terms of ethics.

Reactions: CorsosRevenge
Yeah, the 24-7 and 31-0 last week were completely exhilarating! Those Clemson guys grabbing the Ohio State players below the belt showed the type of class and honor they play with on the field.

The NFL and college have games that are way too long. NFL games should be over within 3 hours and college games 3 hours 15 minutes. College is particularly painful with all of the replay reviews. Even the obvious calls are reviewed and it breaks the momentum. Add in the ridiculous amount of commercials and you have these 4 hour games. College also loses all of its momentum waiting until after the NFL playoffs start, but I'm not sure there's another answer.
yeah, but those two games were not the only show in town over the weekend....mich/fla st and psu/usc come to mind.... one way to speed up the game and is a plus for the nfl is to have shorter halftimes..Just took off 8 to 10 minutes there when comparing nfl and college..Allow screen ads (like the foot fairy games do) while the play or replay is not ongoing and bag a minute of commercial time per break. There is another 20 minutes. Just took a half an hour off the game time and we have not even tlked about the replay speed up yet.

Replay review is the worse damn thing ever invented, I know it's basically just me who feels this way, but I'd rather accept the call on the field and move on, rather than be anally obsessed with getting it perfect, it would even out in the end, it always did. Also, in college, they should stop killing the clock after 1st downs,

Yeah it has gotten too bad. They don't need to review every damn catch that goes to the ground. So what if a ball moves slightly. Either the ball hits the ground first or the guy catches it. This is getting ridiculous.

Just FYI. If you are watching 'only he Steelers' you are still watching and supporting the NFL.

And the Steelers certainly aren't above the the other franchises in terms of ethics.
True!
We aren't implementing a total ban since we cant not watch the Steelers but we are eliminating all other NFL activity and spending.

True!
We aren't implementing a total ban since we cant not watch the Steelers but we are eliminating all other NFL activity and spending.

You're doing this just because of Colin Kaepernick? Really? THAT, effects you that much?

Calling college football a "regional sport" is inaccurate. Its a national sport, possibly America's #2 sport behind the NFL. Its more accurate to say its a national sport with a diehard rabid following in the southeast and parts of the midwest.

That said, its not surprising to see a regional matchup of a team from Alabama vs a team from South Carolina struggle a bit in ratings. Substitute one of those teams with any team from the B12, B10, or P12 and ratings increase. The ACC and SEC share too many common markets.

College Football has to figure out what it wants to do with this playoff. Semis on NYE or Dec 29 or 28 in the coming years is not ideal and a late-night weeknight Championship game with no all-day buildup.

With the NFL schedule, weekends are out for the Championship game.....and Monday nights are actually a good TV night because most people are in their homes instead of being out.

Ideally, I think going to an 8 team playoff with the quarters on Dec 31/Jan 1, semis in 2 weeks, then the Final the week before the Super Bowl would maximize ratings but then you take away from the college basketball regular season and it becomes a 2 semestwr semester sport for 4 teams.

For me it's regional, 99.9% of my focus and viewing habits are Pitt and whatever league Pitt plays in. I think most CFB fans are like that. I watched 100% of every Pitt game this year, except Villanova and Miami, and other than that, and this might seem weird to some, the only other game I watched 100% from beginning to end was YSU/Eastern Washington, which by way may have been the best CFB of the year IMO... Why did I watch that game, perfect storm, weather, home alone, nothing to do, and some kids I have ties to play for YSU so I was interested,

And if weekends are out because of NFL, why not Friday Night? Of course I'm old and for me Friday Night has no special allure.

Calling college football a "regional sport" is inaccurate. Its a national sport, possibly America's #2 sport behind the NFL. Its more accurate to say its a national sport with a diehard rabid following in the southeast and parts of the midwest.

That said, its not surprising to see a regional matchup of a team from Alabama vs a team from South Carolina struggle a bit in ratings. Substitute one of those teams with any team from the B12, B10, or P12 and ratings increase. The ACC and SEC share too many common markets.

College Football has to figure out what it wants to do with this playoff. Semis on NYE or Dec 29 or 28 in the coming years is not ideal and a late-night weeknight Championship game with no all-day buildup.

With the NFL schedule, weekends are out for the Championship game.....and Monday nights are actually a good TV night because most people are in their homes instead of being out.

Ideally, I think going to an 8 team playoff with the quarters on Dec 31/Jan 1, semis in 2 weeks, then the Final the week before the Super Bowl would maximize ratings but then you take away from the college basketball regular season and it becomes a 2 semestwr semester sport for 4 teams.

SMF, where can I find ratings for the CFP Champ game for the top 25 markets?

SMF, where can I find ratings for the CFP Champ game for the top 25 markets?

That's not public info. Either ESPN, Nielsen, or a company that pays for that info would have to release it so I doubt its out there anymore.

What's crazy to me is that Columbus, OH is a Top 10 market. The other 9 come from NC, SC, AL, GA, TN, and FL. Colimbus was the only Top 10 marker outside the SE. To say that college football is life in Central Ohio is an understatement.

alabama is the most boring dynasty ever, it's a school in a state that nobody cares about

none of their players are memorable like a reggie bush or tim tebow, even with two heisman winners has there ever been more forgettable heisman winners?

their most memorable quarterback was less famous than his girlfriend

also a bad idea to play the game the day after the nfl playoffs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT