ADVERTISEMENT

Could be an exciting end to the recruiting season

In 2016 coming off back2back 7 win seasons PS had the 20th ranked class. in 2018 after back2back top10 seasons they are #4. There is a gigantic difference between #4 and #20 in terms of talent.
There is definitely a difference in those classes. However, this year's class is largely impacted by a single season, not this year, so you'd have to go back to considering that just that one season was the reason for the boost. Of their 23 signees/commits, 20 of them committed before the season. A couple even committed before last season was over. So, sure, if Franklin is consistently top 5 from here on out, I could see an argument (even though his situation with the sanctions and scandal is much different than most) that there was a bump because of wins, but I would imagine he will just be a consistent top 10-15 class producer and rarely, if ever get into the top 5. There is a good chance they end up closer to 8 than 4 this year, anyway, so going from 15 in his 1st class to 8 this year is probably more a small bump (which may or may not be sustainable) and not a next level.

Reactions: cashisking884
I'm not sure Pitt fans ever grasped the concept of conference vs non-conf games. Every year if Pitt loses a couple tough non-conference games at the beginning of the season, people jump off like the season is over. Like the only acceptable result is undefeated or one loss. I'd love to see fans stick with a two or three loss team.
Pitt has never gone undefeated in the OOC since giving up independence and joining a conference.
It really is unbelievable how much they overschedule. And as we saw with the Ok State game, fans still don't show up for good visiting teams.

Pitt has never gone undefeated in the OOC since giving up independence and joining a conference.
It really is unbelievable how much they overschedule. And as we saw with the Ok State game, fans still don't show up for good visiting teams.
Yeah, scheduling schools like Ok State is unbelievably stupid because it is difficult to win and there is almost 0 difference in fan interest. Unless it is a local rival or national/traditional power, it really isn't going to garner that much more interest than YSU or Villanova. Pitt is way better off buying a likely win, padding their record, and getting home revenue for 3-4 OOC games every year, rather than 2-3. It is amazing to me how Pitt can continually be so inept at understanding their fanbase and the college football landscape.

There is definitely a difference in those classes. However, this year's class is largely impacted by a single season, not this year, so you'd have to go back to considering that just that one season was the reason for the boost. Of their 23 signees/commits, 20 of them committed before the season. A couple even committed before last season was over. So, sure, if Franklin is consistently top 5 from here on out, I could see an argument (even though his situation with the sanctions and scandal is much different than most) that there was a bump because of wins, but I would imagine he will just be a consistent top 10-15 class producer and rarely, if ever get into the top 5. There is a good chance they end up closer to 8 than 4 this year, anyway, so going from 15 in his 1st class to 8 this year is probably more a small bump (which may or may not be sustainable) and not a next level.

I understand what you are getting at. Winning is only a variable in recruiting. Do you think if we won 10 games and the ACC coastal in 2016 that we would have had better recruiting classes the past 2 seasons? I think they would have been better, by how much I dont know.

Reactions: TJOlsen
I understand what you are getting at. Winning is only a variable in recruiting. Do you think if we won 10 games and the ACC coastal in 2016 that we would have had better recruiting classes the past 2 seasons? I think they would have been better, by how much I dont know.
I would say top 20 in the nation...

Reactions: THEPAPI and TJOlsen
No, I don't think there would have been much difference, but I don't believe we have the talent to win 10 games and the division. Penn State had a lot better comparative (to their opponents) talent and a more favorable schedule.

Payton Wilson and Alim Mitchell there two best recruits commits do me a favor and check when they committed.

Yeah that’s right after Nov.

Not to mention signing a top 100 player brings your entire recruiting class up in overall ranking.

The recruiting season is not over either. I don’t keep up much with NC State recruiting but I am going to love to revisit this topic when they sign another high rated player as some light reading online suggests.

So 14 recruits committed before the season started...big deal. None of their best prospects committed over the summer.

There class is done yet.

Btw a 8-5 season and a 9-4 season is not the same. If Pitt finished 9-4 last year who knows who else they might have landed.

Teams that win gather interest from recruits.
Ummm...Alim McNeill (you are so clued in you don't even know his name) committed on November 4th. They were 6-3 and just lost 2 straight. Alim McNeill is their 3rd best recruit. Ricky Person is their second best commit and he committed a year ago. Their 4th, 5th, and 6th best recruits committed in April and June. That means 4 of their top 6 commits (and #7 is a JUCO player) committed before the season started.

So, again, are you arguing that winning at a 6-3 clip and being the #23 team in the country creates some boom in recruiting? What about 8-4 and ranked 24?

None of these guys committed when they were 9-4. One top commit committed when they were 8-4 and still a game to decide on 8-4 or 9-5. Your argument holds no water.

1. A top 30 class is not a great class.
2. Being 8-4 (about 1/2 of P5 wins 8+ games each year) is not an accomplishment and it does not drive recruits to your school.

Yes autocorrect got the best of me.

Alim is their second or third best recruit arguably. I notice you continually omit their best recruit...

If NC State went 7-6 this year instead of 9-4 do you think Wilson would have been more excited about his commitment?

If Wilson was split down the middle between two teams and team A finished with a 6-7 or even 7-6 record and team B finished with a 9-4 record and was ranked for a good portion of the year...which team sounds more appealing.

These kids are competitors. They like to win. What percentage of top recruits (top 100 or so) do you see going to teams with 6 or less wins. The top recruits play for the teams that have the best chance of winning and putting together 10 win seasons occasionally. When you get top recruits you get a higher recruiting class.

Yes autocorrect got the best of me.

Alim is their second or third best recruit arguably. I notice you continually omit their best recruit...

If NC State went 7-6 this year instead of 9-4 do you think Wilson would have been more excited about his commitment?

If Wilson was split down the middle between two teams and team A finished with a 6-7 or even 7-6 record and team B finished with a 9-4 record and was ranked for a good portion of the year...which team sounds more appealing.

These kids are competitors. They like to win. What percentage of top recruits (top 100 or so) do you see going to teams with 6 or less wins. The top recruits play for the teams that have the best chance of winning and putting together 10 win seasons occasionally. When you get top recruits you get a higher recruiting class.
I don't omit him. He committed when they were 8-4. They hadn't won 10 games. They hadn't won 9 games. Wilson made his decision when they were 8-4. About 50% of the P5 wins 8 games in a given year. It is not impressive. Is it more impressive when the school you are committed to only beats one P5 team (and, yes, of course that was us) that same year? Sure. Does it mean it gave you a class bump? Almost decidedly bump. Even 9-4 is not impressive. 23 of the 65 P5 programs won at least 9 games last year. The top 35%. That's essentially nothing.

You can't talk about a 9 or 10 win bump because they had 8 wins or less when they got every single one of their commits. The vast, vast majority committed before the season. Almost all of the rest committed when their season was very much up in the air. So, again, is your contention that 8 wins is a big deal to recruits and attracts "top recruits"?

Yes, all things being equal, winning probably matters.
The point is that winning doesn't make all things equal.
There's a reason why, despite Oregon playing for 2 national championships under Chip Kelly, it's Willie Taggart that had Oregon in the Top 10 in recruiting and having its best class ever when he was hired away.
Taggart is an elite recruiter that surrounded himself with elite recruiters like Mario Cristobal. Chip Kelly isn't. Winning didn't make those two equal in the eyes of recruits.

Yes, all things being equal, winning probably matters.
The point is that winning doesn't make all things equal.
There's a reason why, despite Oregon playing for 2 national championships under Chip Kelly, it's Willie Taggart that had Oregon in the Top 10 in recruiting and having its best class ever when he was hired away.
Taggart is an elite recruiter that surrounded himself with elite recruiters like Mario Cristobal. Chip Kelly isn't. Winning didn't make those two equal in the eyes of recruits.

I once heard a successful business owner say that an average/good salesmen are a dime a dozen, but a truly great salesmen is invaluable. This is probably true with college football coaches as well. Some coaches can really sell, they have that "it" factor and natural charisma. The more of those guys you have on your staff the better. At some point you do have to win though or you run out of things to sell.

To be good in todays game, you need great recruiters. There were a lot on here hoping Franklin would be at ped U for a long time because they said he was a lousy coach. I saw what he did at Vandy and hoped the peds couldn't sign him, he may not be the best game day but with those great recruits he doesn't have to be the best. The Duzz has to be at his best almost every game.

To be good in todays game, you need great recruiters. There were a lot on here hoping Franklin would be at ped U for a long time because they said he was a lousy coach. I saw what he did at Vandy and hoped the peds couldn't sign him, he may not be the best game day but with those great recruits he doesn't have to be the best. The Duzz has to be at his best almost every game.
Just wait until HCPN gets the ball rolling on recruiting though. Takes time to build these relationships and Chryst left him with NOTHING. Once Duzz's recruits are in their through and through, no brainer that we'll 1st or 2nd in the coastal year in and year out. He had to create an identity for his team. And that new identity is speed and tenaciousness!!! Watch what they put out their in early Sept. #L1TTS8URGH

Reactions: THEPAPI
Its going to be real exciting to see if we can wind up with a four star recruit in this class. I saw today that 247 Recruiting guru Wiltfong no longer crystal balling Jairus Brents to us. That leaves just Salahuddin as probably our last chance. I know we were 5-7 this year, but we need to add some salesmen to this staff. What a struggle it is to recruit 4 star players to this university in football or basketball.

From purely a fans perspective, not having any exceptional talent dampens one's spirit. Maybe we finally have a good season next year with Pickett on offense and Paris Ford(my fingers are crossed)on defense. I believe these two will be worth watching, and if they deliver and we have a good season, maybe the Duzz will be able to get a few more like them into the fold.

Its going to be real exciting to see if we can wind up with a four star recruit in this class. I saw today that 247 Recruiting guru Wiltfong no longer crystal balling Jairus Brents to us. That leaves just Salahuddin as probably our last chance. I know we were 5-7 this year, but we need to add some salesmen to this staff. What a struggle it is to recruit 4 star players to this university in football or basketball.

From purely a fans perspective, not having any exceptional talent dampens one's spirit. Maybe we finally have a good season next year with Pickett on offense and Paris Ford(my fingers are crossed)on defense. I believe these two will be worth watching, and if they deliver and we have a good season, maybe the Duzz will be able to get a few more like them into the fold.
HCPN doesnt recruit for stars like some other bozzo coaches. He recruits for TENACIOUSNESS and SCHEME-ology, meaning he finds exactly what he needs to fit his system to the perfect mold. This D is going to be a bunch of savages this upcoming year. ACC Coastal should officially be put on notice.

Reactions: THEPAPI
HCPN doesnt recruit for stars like some other bozzo coaches. He recruits for TENACIOUSNESS and SCHEME-ology, meaning he finds exactly what he needs to fit his system to the perfect mold. This D is going to be a bunch of savages this upcoming year. ACC Coastal should officially be put on notice.

I would rather have a 2 star that fits the chemistry of the team than a 5 star drama queen!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT