ADVERTISEMENT

Eli Holstein to Pitt, official

The top 5-6 are typically interchangeable. Do you think the QB services rate as #5 thinks he's a lesser QB than the guy services rates as #1? When both have the same offers from all the blues?

Maybe the better mantra is--if you're a top 10 QB, think twice about going to a school that is bringing in another top 10 QB and/or is continuing to aggresively recruit one and/or already has three of them as freshmen/sophs on the roster.
All depends if ND offered them…😀well, used to be that way…

HS recruits? None. transfers, like Holstein? A few, and none were worth a $hit, which is why they ended up at multiple schools:

The Jurk
Max Browne
Ricky Towns

That said, none of that means anything about Holstein, hopefully he;s the real deal. Just watching his tape he appears to have much better arm strength and mechanics than the aforementioned bums and he isn't damaged goods yet like they all were.

But.....he didn't make Bama's 4 QB depth chart this year and was beat out on the chart by another (and lower rated) true freshman. So what Pitt got with this guy will really be anybody's guess until September. Being a RS freshman, he cetainly is not guaranteed the starting job as The Jurk and Slowvis were. That may be Yarnell's job to lose.
To your point he could t beat out the ND transfer who is now playing lacrosse. LOL

But yeah the kid looks like he has some physical tools that are as good or better than what we have. But being a decent qb is as much about what’s between the ears as it is how well you throw a football or how fast you can run.

Reactions: pittmeister
Is this the highest rated player to ever sign here?
"Ever" takes us back before internet rankings because there were still scouts and Parade All Americans like Dan Marino and Bill Fralic and magazines like SuperPrep, PrepStar, Tom Lemming report etc going back to the 70s golden era.

But putting aside the SMF hyperbole, here are the top ranked Pitt recruits of the rivals.com era:
- Dorian Johnson, #8 overall, #2 position
- Jonathan Baldwin, #13 overall, #4 position
- Rushel Shell, #32 overall, #3 position
- Paris Ford, #52 overall, #5 position
- Dorin Dickerson, #55 overall, #2 "position" (athlete)

It looks like Shady was ranked #43 before his HS injury but I found data in different places.

Reactions: singregardless
Not being a contrarian, but I'd venture to guess that 4/5-star quarterbacks have a bust rate that is way higher than any other position, so I take that with a grain of salt. I mean, he was rated as the 12th quarterback last year, per this list, and how many guys above him are already in the portal? I see at least a few.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=QB
I notice that our QB recruit that year was ranked 46th. We essentially have no chance at a guy like this coming out of high school, so getting him a year removed is a big win. Doesn't guarantee anything, but it's a much better place to start from.

I notice that our QB recruit that year was ranked 46th. We essentially have no chance at a guy like this coming out of high school, so getting him a year removed is a big win. Doesn't guarantee anything, but it's a much better place to start from.
That's the right way to view it IMO.

That said, if this was Vuk's BIG NEWS, it's good news, but not big news.

If Arizona State, Oregon State, and Kansas State can do it I think we can at least every now and then. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic. Of course it doesn't help that the WPIAL is spitting out mostly nothing at the position.

But I also think QB rankings are by far the most off, because there is just so much stuff they can't measure at the high school level.

Reactions: TD_6082
Is this the highest rated player to ever sign here?
Good question. I remember Curtis Bray was very high at one time, although he dropped after getting injuries his senior year.

I’m excited for the kid, I have Alabama coworkers that go to preseason practices and wanted the kid to start as a freshman. No idea how he will do at Pitt, but the kid has talent

HS recruits? None. transfers, like Holstein? A few, and none were worth a $hit, which is why they ended up at multiple schools:

The Jurk
Max Browne
Ricky Towns

That said, none of that means anything about Holstein, hopefully he;s the real deal. Just watching his tape he appears to have much better arm strength and mechanics than the aforementioned bums and he isn't damaged goods yet like they all were.

But.....he didn't make Bama's 4 QB depth chart this year and was beat out on the chart by another (and lower rated) true freshman. So what Pitt got with this guy will really be anybody's guess until September. Being a RS freshman, he cetainly is not guaranteed the starting job as The Jurk and Slowvis were. That may be Yarnell's job to lose.
Palko was a top 5ish QB recruit with big offers.

Not being a contrarian, but I'd venture to guess that 4/5-star quarterbacks have a bust rate that is way higher than any other position, so I take that with a grain of salt. I mean, he was rated as the 12th quarterback last year, per this list, and how many guys above him are already in the portal? I see at least a few.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=QB

5* QBs have a pretty high hit rate. Even if not for the team they originally signed with.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT