ADVERTISEMENT

Eli Holstein to Pitt, official

If the new OC sees something in him thats good enough for me.

But watching guys like Millroe and Penix being able to move....this kid is much more like Phil Yirkovec.

If he pans out....in this offense, we should be able to score

But watching guys like Millroe and Penix being able to move....this kid is much more like Phil Yirkovec.

Penix and Milroe do not play anything like one another. Milroe is a great runner who can throw ok. Penix is a fantastic pocket QB who occasionally can pick up a first down or two with his legs but running isn't his forte.

Penix and Milroe do not play anything like one another. Milroe is a great runner who can throw ok. Penix is a fantastic pocket QB who occasionally can pick up a first down or two with his legs but running isn't his forte.
Amazingly Penix has a total of only 270 yards rushing in his entire 6 year career.

It also shows how some of these qb‘s made themselves millions (like Kenny Pickett) by staying in college that one more year. Penix was projected as a late round pick, now he may sneak in to the 1st round on draft day. Hell Jayden Daniels went from a 2nd or 3rd rounder to a top 5 pick.

Holstein had over 500 rushing yards his senior year.

Don't mind getting this dude in a vacuum, but it likely means we won't pursue a 2024 starter in the portal, and that's very disappointing. We're likely to be near the bottom of the ACC in QB play.... again.
If he beats out the other guys he is good enough to be the starter in my eyes. I really liked what Yarnell did so a top recruit with 4 years in this offense is nothing to thumb your nose at IMHO.

If he beats out the other guys he is good enough to be the starter in my eyes. I really liked what Yarnell did so a top recruit with 4 years in this offense is nothing to thumb your nose at IMHO.

I'm fine with letting them all compete; I just wish a more polished/experienced product was part of that competition. Our season is hinging on a QB room where no one has made more than like 3 or 4 starts. That's pretty risky to me. I don't think we can afford many QB growing pains - or just outright pains - this season.

Don't mind getting this dude in a vacuum, but it likely means we won't pursue a 2024 starter in the portal, and that's very disappointing. We're likely risking being near the bottom of the ACC in QB play.... again.
It all depends on how well the QB’s play and who stays. It’s way too early to tell.

It all depends on how well the QB’s play and who stays. It’s way too early to tell.

I don't think Yarnell or Dieffenbach are going anywhere. Dugger and Holstein will obviously be here. Does Veilleux have transfer options? Not sure if he graduated yet. If he didn't, well, I doubt we will go with six scholarship guys.

HUUUUUGE pickup. Holstein has the potential to be elite. Big-time arm, big and mobile, good footwork. He’ll need some seasoning but would much rather watch him grow than bring in another average-ish veteran like Slovis or Jurkovec.

I was fine allowing Jurkovec to come in as the starter last season given his experience with Cignetti's offense. What I didn't know at the time is how bad Phil was, particularly his arm.

With a new offensive staff and system, I do hope it's an open competition this year and Pitt actually starts the best performing QB from the offseason and training camp.

Reactions: Saboteur II
HUUUUUGE pickup. Holstein has the potential to be elite. Big-time arm, big and mobile, good footwork. He’ll need some seasoning but would much rather watch him grow than bring in another average-ish veteran like Slovis or Jurkovec.

I don't think he's known for having a big arm or great mechanics. He's a work in progress. Pretty funky delivery in his Elite 11 tape.

His On3 scouting profile says he could excel in a short passing offense, which is good (albeit weird, because we were looking at him before Bell got here). The stuff Bud Elliot had to say has me a little skeptical. He's worth the lottery ticket - just wish we had like a G5 guy with a season or two of starts in the mix as well.

I watched his junior film. He has a good arm. I wouldn't call it a howitzer but it's good. He has that Kerry Collins type delivery. The one thing that stood out to me was his accuracy. He threw the ball several times where his receivers never break stride and he hit them in the #'s. He has a powerful base when setting up in the pocket. Pretty good mobility too. It can't hurt to have him in the QB room competing for a job.

I don't think he's known for having a big arm or great mechanics. He's a work in progress. Pretty funky delivery in his Elite 11 tape.

His On3 scouting profile says he could excel in a short passing offense, which is good (albeit weird, because we were looking at him before Bell got here). The stuff Bud Elliot had to say has me a little skeptical. He's worth the lottery ticket - just wish we had like a G5 guy with a season or two of starts in the mix as well.
In the video he had a lot of overthrows.

This is a crazy post frankly. Penix who never runs … like ever… and isn’t mobile? Holstein tape he looks like a gazelle. But if you are staying he is faster than Penix… but Milroe is the opposite, doesn’t have the arm but the legs and playmaking. Not sure what you’re trying to say. He doesn’t look anything like Jurkovec either …. What tape were you looking at?

I won’t get sick of these… hope he doesn’t

He was the number 9 qb in rivals 2023 class in the country, had 7000 yards, 62 tds and 13 ints also rushed for 1400 yards and 30 tds. Was espns #22 player NATIONALLY. This is probably the best transfer we ever got in my opinion, plus he isn’t already over the hill like Jurkovec and Max Browne was, the kid just left hs a year ago

This is a crazy post frankly. Penix who never runs … like ever… and isn’t mobile? Holstein tape he looks like a gazelle. But if you are staying he is faster than Penix… but Milroe is the opposite, doesn’t have the arm but the legs and playmaking. Not sure what you’re trying to say. He doesn’t look anything like Jurkovec either …. What tape were you looking at?
They are a long-time PSU troll.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt8189
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT