ADVERTISEMENT

Everything Crazy That Would've Happened If Texas Had Joined The Pac-12, Link!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
Interesting article on if Texas had bolted for the Pac-12, and I still think this could be a possibility, but Texas likes being the Biggest Fish in the Smallest Pond, since it easier to get to the CFB Playoffs that way in the future.

Still, I think the bigger threat now is Oklahoma or Oklahoma State bolting in the future for the PAC-12, SEC, or Big Ten. Unless the Big-12 can increase its marketing footprint and that is harder than it looks with fewer Schools available that contribute more without giving less. Still, a tough sell and the Big ten has mention its next expansion might be to help out Nebraska by looking at Kansas or KSU? Boy, if Texas ever left or Oklahoma or another Big-12 School. It would worry WVU Fans and the Dude might jump off the "Tallahatchie Bridge!"

Article Excerpt & Link:

Everything crazy that would've happened if Texas had joined the Pac-12

Chip Brown went from local Rivals guy to national scoopmaster by reporting the Pac-10's attempt to pull most of the Big 12 South. The conference would soon add Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Colorado, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M, leaving the Big 12's others scrambling.

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe, who had failed at the impossible task of convincing the dysfunctional conference family to look at each other as equals, was also scrambling. On June 11, he met with conference members and TV executives, attempting to find duct tape.

Despite Brown's proclamations (which continued into the next year, when he announced there was no truth to the rumor that A&M would end up in the SEC), Texas stayed put.

The ripple effect still created one hell of a wave; as noted by Fox Sports' Stewart Mandel, 43 of 128 FBS teams now compete in a different conference than in 2009. Colorado and Utah went west. Nebraska went Midwest. Missouri and Texas A&M went southeast. The ACC punked the Big East, which split into two and raided Conference USA. Conference USA raided the Sun Belt. The Mountain West murdered the WAC.

Still, so much more could have happened.

Texas might have been bluffing. Longhorn brass might have been using Larry Scott's Pac-10 as a pawn, attempting to scare the Big 12 into kowtowing (more than normal) and standing clear of what would become the Longhorn Network. We won't ever get a perfectly honest answer about how serious Texas was (or whether Brown was a knowing or unknowing player in the bluff). But in mid-June 2010, it not only felt like it
could happen, it felt like it would.

So what if it had?

GO TO ARTICLE LINK:
LINK
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/17/8767533/conference-realignment-texas-pac-12

captain i'm one of your biggest fans, and I keenly await what you have to say on most subjects. your positions are well thought out, and have creditable knowledge behind them. however, i'm thinking the next round of expansion to sixteen teams-unless its sparked by the ACC-will result in the demise of ,at least, the Oklahoma/Texas and the their six bitches league-and the end of the ACC as we know it. I never would have said this until I saw what happened to Maryland- founder of the ACC-and lame Rutgers program going to the BG10.rutgers going to the big 10 says all you need to know about which way the money is blowing. you can only hope pitt turns back quickly to three 10-1 seasons stretch and we become a program you can't overlook.

captain i'm one of your biggest fans, and I keenly await what you have to say on most subjects. your positions are well thought out, and have creditable knowledge behind them. however, i'm thinking the next round of expansion to sixteen teams-unless its sparked by the ACC-will result in the demise of ,at least, the Oklahoma/Texas and the their six bitches league-and the end of the ACC as we know it. I never would have said this until I saw what happened to Maryland- founder of the ACC-and lame Rutgers program going to the BG10.rutgers going to the big 10 says all you need to know about which way the money is blowing. you can only hope pitt turns back quickly to three 10-1 seasons stretch and we become a program you can't overlook.

I posted this to provide info and to see what others think such as yourself and your comments are relevant and very good as far as I am concern.

I have the same fears too, and have expressed them, but I understand I can't change the world, and I think the writer, is a bit over the top on his analysis and what would have happen???

All I know is, and this just a hunch, as well as what some Sports Lawyers tell me, that Expansion is not over, the NCAA, CFB Committee, Power Conferences and Court Cases are revising the future of CFB and how it all turns out is not known.

I think your comments are spot on and why Chancellor Gallagher made the move to replace Pederson because Pitt has to rebuild itself ASAP to be prepared for what you think, and many others here may know more, and would have their own opinions.

One reason why the ACC has not develop or started an ACC Network that would bring more money to the ACC Schools can make some ACC Schools vulnerable to being raided and I am still blaming Swofford and his UNC ties, but I hope I am wrong as TopDeckerTiger points out often here, and I respect his position and information.

I still think the ACC with the biggest Footprint could join SECN and share costs in Charlotte, but we shall see? I do know the ACC must add more money to each school, or could lose a few too, just like you said!

Thank you for your posts and thoughts and I appreciate them, glad they were posted!

Last edited:
Captain, we must always be vigilant in the protection of PITT!
Agree, Pitt must be vigilant, but Pitt students cannot act like the Vigilantes that riots at Penn State when they Fired Paterno!:oops:

Off topic, but could not resist the word Vigilant?:rolleyes:

ARTICLE ON PATERNO LEGACY?

http://www.dailylocal.com/sports/20...-legacies-and-his-followers-need-to-accept-it

EXCERPTS:
There is no denying the incredible gridiron legacy of the man they called “Joe Pa,” and his followers have certainly been celebrating it over the past few days — as they should. However, where his followers and I go separate ways is when the discussion of his other legacy takes place — his role in the child sex abuse scandal involving former assistant Jerry Sandusky. I recall watching hordes of Penn State students rallying around Paterno that night in November 2011 after the board of trustees dismissed him as head coach. I remember wondering how Sandusky’s rape victims and their families must have been feeling at that very moment. I certainly cannot speak for any of the victims, but the emotions going through my mind and body were ones of anger and disgust. Every time I heard a chant of “JOE PA-TER-NO!” it made me sick to my stomach. Every time the students belted cheers of “WE ARE (clap, clap) PENN STATE,” I became enraged.

The protests by the students — which most on hand probably thought were noble and supportive — displayed just how little perspective they possessed when it came to reality. I’m betting most of those protesting students didn’t have children of their own or were ever sexually abused growing up. There shouldn’t have been one tear shed or one chant cheered for Paterno that night. His ousting was completely justified. It wasn’t a rash decision. It was the only decision. I also recall a reporter during the press conference that same night — to announce the coach’s firing — who asked the vice president of the board, John Surma Jr., to explain why the trustees couldn’t allow Paterno to leave with some dignity? Wow, really?

Where is the “dignity” for those young boys who were raped, molested and sodomized by Paterno’s assistant? Where was the rally for Sandusky’s prey? They were the real victims — not Paterno, not the university and certainly not the protesting students.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT