ADVERTISEMENT

FB vs BB Focus

Hilarious you guys are talking about a new stadium for the steeler . Heinz isn't even 15 years old, only 10 stadiums newer than HF. We have at least 20 years before this topic is even relevant. Think Pitt has any more pending prioritiesthan finding a place to play in 2035? While we are worrying about this, let's not forget about this mini ice age coming our way in 2030 too, I'm sure there is a meteor headed our way too. I'll worry about this decade and let my 3 year old worry about commuting to pitt home games in 2035.

So you are basing your fear of Pitt not having an adequate stadium on the chance that the Pittsburgh Steelers pack up and move to the EU? You are concerned that one of the top 3 NFL teams with the most die-hard fans is going to leave the city? I think you can relax. If the Steelers find that in 15 years, Pittsburgh is no longer a viable home for whatever reason, Pittsbugh (the city and the Unversity) are probably done too, bc the city is gone.
I think the reference was to the Steelers moving to another COUNTY.....like Butler, in a new stadium. The "Serbian Steelers" just seems a bit off. ;)

By the time heinz field gets torn down, uber will have us riding around in self-driving cars. Pitt can play in cranberry or Washington if I can drink beers in my backseat while the car takes me, hell, play in freakin murrysville, give me more time to drink in my own car. Just make sure its a dome, this mini ice age in 2030 is no joke. Maybe pitt and Nike will have pitt script hoodies on the shelves by then since it seems to take them years to do such a hard task.

Hilarious you guys are talking about a new stadium for the steeler . Heinz isn't even 15 years old, only 10 stadiums newer than HF. We have at least 20 years before this topic is even relevant. Think Pitt has any more pending prioritiesthan finding a place to play in 2035? While we are worrying about this, let's not forget about this mini ice age coming our way in 2030 too, I'm sure there is a meteor headed our way too. I'll worry about this decade and let my 3 year old worry about commuting to pitt home games in 2035.

How old will Heinz Field me in 10 years? How old was Three Rivers when they tore it down?

How old is the Georgia Dome and Turner Field? Both are being torn down.

How old is the St. Louis Rams Dome? The owner is threatening to leave if it isnt replaced.

How old is FedEx Field? Snyder wants a new stadium.

Listen, Heinz will most certainly be replaced SOMEDAY. Is it in 10 years or 100 years, I dont know but I think its a pretty safe bet that between 10-20 years from now, the Steelers will have a new stadium somewhere in Western PA.

How old will Heinz Field me in 10 years? How old was Three Rivers when they tore it down?

How old is the Georgia Dome and Turner Field? Both are being torn down.

How old is the St. Louis Rams Dome? The owner is threatening to leave if it isnt replaced.

How old is FedEx Field? Snyder wants a new stadium.

Listen, Heinz will most certainly be replaced SOMEDAY. Is it in 10 years or 100 years, I dont know but I think its a pretty safe bet that between 10-20 years from now, the Steelers will have a new stadium somewhere in Western PA.
Yes, like I said, in 20+ years. And our flying cars will get us there and we will be wearing the newly released pitt script hoodies that Nike took 20 years to produce. If I'm still alive, I will gladly buy you whatever alcoholic beverage will be popular then

Okay this has turned into a stadium thread….go figure

If Pittsburgh ( the locality, not the university ) really wanted to make our area one that can grow and prosper it would build mass transit to Oakland, Airport, N Hills, Monroeville and Greensburg from downtown.

Hoping on a subway or trolley from Oakland would be cool. Yellow buses just don’t do anything for me!

Yes, like I said, in 20+ years. And our flying cars will get us there and we will be wearing the newly released pitt script hoodies that Nike took 20 years to produce. If I'm still alive, I will gladly buy you whatever alcoholic beverage will be popular then

20 years isn't that long. There's a thing called long-term strategic planning. Hopefully Gallagher and Barnes have vision because our football future is currently tied to do wherever the Rooneys decide to build their next stadium.

If Pittsburgh ( the locality, not the university ) really wanted to make our area one that can grow and prosper it would build mass transit to Oakland, Airport, N Hills, Monroeville and Greensburg from downtown.

Hoping on a subway or trolley from Oakland would be cool. Yellow buses just don’t do anything for me!
No need for transit to the airport. They had trains from GBG long ago (1970's??)....not viable....not sure if they stopped in Monroeville. The HOV lane on 279 should be replaced with a light rail system, but there's no $$$ to build stations or an extension to Crammedberry. As usual, Pgh politicians define myopia. The Rooneys or their successors will blackmail their way into a new stadium within 15 years. I'd bet on the Butler auto Auction site on Rt. 19.

I didn't mean for this to become a stadium thing, either. Just was using it as one reason to show why Pitt should focus priorities on basketball, IF it had to come down to one or the other sport. Pitt fully (or at least more so) controls it's own destiny in basketball.

I'm fine with Heinz and the relationship with the Steelers as is; It's certainly not perfect, but I think it provides Pitt football some unique advantages (some of the very few we have, really) over our regional enemies. But "as is" WILL change someday, and Pitt has next to no control over its football destiny in that key aspect. Mostly a long term issue at this point? , Yes, but it includes short term too. Decisions aren't made with Pitt's interests in mind (the extra end zone seats this year, for example...I'm sure Pitt had many other priorities for Heinz improvements on its own list). That lack of control isn't crippling, but an added uncertainty for a sport that already has more moving parts that can go wrong.

Last edited:
Pitt controls its own fate in all sports - not just basketball.

I cannot believe that people see schools like West Virginia, Central Florida, Boise State, Utah, Fresno State, Duke, Texas Christian, Baylor, and Cincinnati flourish and decide that Pitt cannot be successful like those schools have been. That makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Also, in hoops there is no controlling one's fate. Just ask the Connecticut and Cincinnati fans about that. Connecticut has been as strong a program is anyone in the sport for the past 25-30 years and they are on the outside looking in. Villanova is pretty much the same.

Why do you think the entire AAC is pouring $$$ into their football facilities? Hell, why do you think Duke is suddenly football-aware and pouring money into their football program?

I have been a Pitt hoops season ticket holder since Clyde Vaughn was dominating on the baseline. I LOVE Pitt basketball. However, this is more than a no-brainer. It's a bit like asking, who should Pitt celebrate more Alex Van Pelt or Dan Marino? AVP had an outstanding career here and threw for more yards than No. 13 but Dan Marino is Danny PHUCKING Marino.

That's approximately how close I see this from a prioritization standpoint. It's just not close on any level and it speaks directly to how grossly mismanaged the football program has been for decades now that people are even treating it like an actual tough call.

Last edited:
Pitt controls its own fate in all sports - not just basketball.

I cannot believe that people see schools like West Virginia, Central Florida, Boise State, Utah, Fresno State, Duke, Texas Christian, Baylor, and Cincinnati flourish and decide that Pitt cannot be successful like those schools have been. That makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Also, in hoops there is no controlling one's fate. Just ask the Connecticut and Cincinnati fans about that. Connecticut has been as strong a program is anyone in the sport for the past 25-30 years and they are on the outside looking in. Villanova is pretty much the same.

Why do you think the entire AAC is pouring $$$ into their football facilities? Hell, why do you think Duke is suddenly football-aware and pouring money into their football program?

I have been a Pitt hoops season ticket holder since Clyde Vaughn was dominating on the baseline. I LOVE Pitt basketball. However, this is more than a no-brainer. It's a bit like asking, who should Pitt celebrate more Alex Van Pelt or Dan Marino? AVP had an outstanding career here and threw for more yards than No. 13 but Dan Marino is Danny PHUCKING Marino.

That's approximately how close I see this from a prioritization standpoint. It's just not close on any level and it speaks directly to how grossly mismanaged the football program has been for decades now that people are even treating it like an actual tough call.

I could quibble that profit matters more than scope and revenue, and basketball has been more consistently profitable in recent decade -plus. But that's really only because what you say in your last sentence is the painful truth. The school has been grossly negligent in football, and has left a fortune, both in profit potential and school good will on the table in this winning-football-crazed town. It's been a lament of mine for years.

But knowing it doesn't change reality. Their business plan for football is STILL hope and prayer. The new admin talks braver but doesn't seem to get it (much). Narduzzi was an adequate professional hire, but far from a splash hire. I hope and pray (like the admin) this guy is finally a breakthrough ... but see no evidence that the same cycle of mediocrity isn't probable going forward. Assuming that, is that sustainable for the long term? Especially when/if the situation with the facility does become a problem, even if 10-15 years away? If Pitt football is barely eking out a profit at that time, what's the move gonna be then?

Sorry, if the administration still has the weak stomach for real, winning football that it's had since Sherrill days ... then basketball is still the long term better bet. If a future admin grows a pair and throws in behind football, I'll reassess. After 40 years of status quo, not holding my breath.

That's way too much speculation for me. There are too many variables to even consider.

I don't care about splash hires, and I don't care about perceptions prior to a coach's first game. I care about results and understand that those take time.

I have no idea what's going to happen to Heinz Field or its replacement? I have no clue if it will be located in Cranberry or Washington or the North Shore or on Neptune? Neither does anyone else.

Also, I have no idea what the Pete will be like in 15 years or what land will be like in Oakland?

What I can say with certainty is that football will always be a more popular sport than basketball – especially in this region. Also, it is highly likely that future conference moves will hinge on football.

It makes no sense to ignore all of those factors because the previous administration made a bad choice with regard to facilities prioritization. That mentality will only serve to put us further and further behind the eight ball.

That's way too much speculation for me. There are too many variables to even consider.

I don't care about splash hires, and I don't care about perceptions prior to a coach's first game. I care about results and understand that those take time.

I have no idea what's going to happen to Heinz Field or its replacement? I have no clue if it will be located in Cranberry or Washington or the North Shore or on Neptune? Neither does anyone else.

Also, I have no idea what the Pete will be like in 15 years or what land will be like in Oakland?

What I can say with certainty is that football will always be a more popular sport than basketball – especially in this region. Also, it is highly likely that future conference moves will hinge on football.

It makes no sense to ignore all of those factors because the previous administration made a bad choice with regard to facilities prioritization. That mentality will only serve to put us further and further behind the eight ball.
I'm more of a hoops fan than FB, by a little bit....mainly because FB has been in the doldrums for 33 years or so. But I have to agree, Doc, FB SHOULD be the driver. Let's hope Duzz gets it back on track.....the ACC Coastal is a manageable path.....as a first step.

WINNING football is popular in Pittsburgh.

As is WINNING hockey. Or WINNING baseball. And even WINNING Pitt basketball.

I will concede that winning football is more lucrative than the others, as the Steelers have shown. Yinzers do get more passionate about it for sure. But it gotta be WINNING. Yinzers aren't good sports fans, they are good WINNING sports fans.

But when any of those teams don't win, even the Steelers (see the pre-1970s crowds) they aren't very popular. Kind of like ... Pitt football for the last 30 years.

The prospects of crappy teams here are dire, actually. The Pens almost went under, how many times? Even in the years AFTER Lemieux and Jagr, which gave them such glory, it couldn't sustain them The moment the Toby Peterson and German Titov era took over, crowds plummeted and they nearly had to leave town.

Maybe if Pitt had won the Terrelle Pryor draft lottery ... oh wait, crap college teams don't get great players handed to them. Their administrations have to do it the old fashioned way: buy great coaches, spend heartily on recruiting, let boosters operate liberally, and compromise on grades and ethics as needed. Pitt to their credit or regret, refuses. Hoops too, kinda, but at least they've been willing to pony up to keep Dixon after success (though not his quality assistants).

No arguments here. You have to win for people to care. That's not just PGH, that's everywhere.

I just think Pitt's ceiling is higher in football than it is men's basketball.

WINNING football is popular in Pittsburgh.

As is WINNING hockey. Or WINNING baseball. And even WINNING Pitt basketball.

I will concede that winning football is more lucrative than the others, as the Steelers have shown. Yinzers do get more passionate about it for sure. But it gotta be WINNING. Yinzers aren't good sports fans, they are good WINNING sports fans.

But when any of those teams don't win, even the Steelers (see the pre-1970s crowds) they aren't very popular. Kind of like ... Pitt football for the last 30 years.

The prospects of crappy teams here are dire, actually. The Pens almost went under, how many times? Even in the years AFTER Lemieux and Jagr, which gave them such glory, it couldn't sustain them The moment the Toby Peterson and German Titov era took over, crowds plummeted and they nearly had to leave town.

Maybe if Pitt had won the Terrelle Pryor draft lottery ... oh wait, crap college teams don't get great players handed to them. Their administrations have to do it the old fashioned way: buy great coaches, spend heartily on recruiting, let boosters operate liberally, and compromise on grades and ethics as needed. Pitt to their credit or regret, refuses. Hoops too, kinda, but at least they've been willing to pony up to keep Dixon after success (though not his quality assistants).

That is pretty much true of any city, especially of this size in regards to its sports teams. You have about 2.3 million people to draw from, whereas say a Chicago where you have 9 million people to draw from. Even Atlanta has more than double. I think Pittsburgh is a pretty damn strong sports town.

Everyone mentions the Pens, first let's remember that some single game Pens tickets are as much as Pitt SEASON tickets. But when they were going through the doldrums, and low attendance, let's remember two big factors: 1) the sell off of players like Jagr and Kovalev that was eerily reminiscent of the local baseball team doing the same thing and 2) The Pens really looked like they could move, and it is hard for fans to "invest" not just money but emotionally and their team is going to get yanked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT