ADVERTISEMENT

For What It's Worth

17-15

Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2001
There's something happening here...

Unless I am counting wrong, I think Pitt still has a chance. Obviously not as good a chance as when the night started, but a meaningful chance. By my calculation, Pitt is competing with the following 8 schools for 3 spots (or more if the Selection Committee decides not to award 6 bids to the 7th best conference in the country, the Mountain West, which is baffling to me, or does not invite one or more other schools I am assuming will make the field):

Virginia
Seton Hall
Providence
Northwestern
TCU
Oklahoma
Washington St.
Indiana St.

It would not surprise me if any three of these schools were selected over Pitt but it also would not surprise me if Pitt were selected over any of these schools.

As of Saturday morning, Pitt, at 41, was ahead of all these schools except Indiana State on the NET rankings. Pitt also was behind Cincinnati and Villanova on the Net rankings but I am assuming, correctly or not, that they will not make the field. Pitt also was slightly ahead of Texas A&M, which I am assuming will make the field (and the NET could change on that tomorrow.)

On Ken-Pom, as of a few minutes ago, at 40, Pitt was ahead of all eight schools and more than 10 places ahead of Providence, and more than 20 places ahead of Seton Hall and Virginia. On Ken-Pom, Pitt also is ahead of Texas A&M and Utah State, which I am assuming will make the field, and behind Villanova, Cincinnati and Wake Forest, which I am assuming will not make the field.

Pitt was a VERY strong road team, which i am sure fuels these solid NET and Ken-Pom numbers, and also finished very strong, which seems relevant to me and likely to be considered, even if the entire season also is properly considered. Pitt also made some "eye test" believers this week, although perhaps UNC's lackluster performance tonight takes a little of the luster off of that.

The latest Torvik update of its expected selections (as I understand this, Torvik attempts to predict how things will turn out, not where they are at this moment or what Torvik believes should be the selections) picks Washington St. (projected 8 seed), TCU (projected 10 seed) and Oklahoma (projected 11 seed) out of this list and also picks Northwestern, Seton Hall and Providence as teams that are out but closer than Pitt to being in. But it also puts Colorado State and Florida Atlantic as just barely on the good side of the line, which would mean that additional spots might be in play. And Torvik has Pitt ahead of Virginia and Indiana State. All things considered, Torvik puts Pitt's chance of getting a bid at 47%, which is a meaningful chance.

https://barttorvik.com/tranketology.php

So I still think there is a chance. I'd watch the selection show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News