ADVERTISEMENT

FSU Fires warning shot to ACC

This is not entirely true. From my understanding (no insider knowledge, just lots of reading and connecting dots), they wanted Oregon and Washington (or Stanford and Washington depending on the version you believe) with USC and UCLA. But only USC and UCLA added enough additional value to not dilute the TV share per school. Oregon and Washington could still be added at a reduced share. The belief is that the B1G is waiting to name a new commissioner and see what the PAC deal looks like in order to get to that reduced share number.

Take it for what it’s worth. I’m not suggesting I know much more than you. Just throwing a different spin on it.
I don't understand what you're trying to say.

I'm not saying they would ever be non-dilutive. I'm saying if they were dilutive before, that's not going to change after they get a worse TV deal. So waiting doesn't change anything.

Reactions: pittdan77
Let's extend this FSU nonsense to the next logical step. Why shouldn't UM and OSU demand a greater slice of the B1G revenue since they're the only two schools that seem to matter? They don't even need fake TV data to prove their point. Almost as if these conferences could end up tearing themselves apart over money if they aren't careful.
That day may yet come in the Big Ten. On the other hand, if they'd go that route, what is to stop PSU and MSU and USC or whomever from bolting to the SEC? Those schools, in the regions where they exist, would definitely add to the SEC. So maybe the Big Ten can't overplay its hand.

Hail,

Penn State doesn’t have that kind of leverage. They can voice their disapproval, but that’s it.

Ask yourself this question… If PSU decided to leave the Big Ten and join the SEC, how badly would it damage the Big Ten brand compared to if Ohio State or Michigan left???

Answer: PSU could easily be replaced. Michigan or Ohio State leaving would be a much bigger blow.

When it comes right down to it, the only teams that matter are UM and OSU. Other factors have kept Pitt from getting in the Big Ten, not PSU.

PSU absolutely has the kind of leverage to block Pitt, and has used it numerous times in the past. OSU’s former President even said so outright.

And I think you’re underestimating what PSU means to the B1G. Remember when they found out that the ACC was courting PSU? Multiple B1G AD’s have publicly stated that keeping PSU happy was one of the main reasons for adding Maryland and Rutgers.

And this was post scandal, by the way.

That day may yet come in the Big Ten. On the other hand, if they'd go that route, what is to stop PSU and MSU and USC or whomever from bolting to the SEC? Those schools, in the regions where they exist, would definitely add to the SEC. So maybe the Big Ten can't overplay its hand.
Almost like any school could overplay it and cause defections. Any group of secondary schools in the ACC could decide to move to the Big12, for instance, and up that conference's share to a palatable point. Perhaps even improve over where they're at? Very speculative but all of the sudden, FSU would be in a much weaker position.

There aren't any givens but there is a ceiling to what most schools/conferences will be willing to put up with. I think a lot of people are overselling their favorite school's worth. Well, except Pitt. We always seem to go the other way. Just that logically, there are limits to what makes sense.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga

I'm of the belief that the BIG will continue to expand, based off the words of Warren before he left (stated multiple times in public the goal was 20 to 24 teams), and him leaving is just a speedbump. They are trying to collect the brand schools, just need additional media partners to pony up.

But in the longer term, I agree what others have said, the larger these things get, they will eventually start to tear each other apart. Those larger brands will continue to want more and more, and then eventually say "why are Rutgers, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, Illinios, Northwestern's of the world getting this money" and you'll see the tOSUs, Michigans, PSUs, USCs, Wisky's of the world start to break away.

Plus my guess is the media partner will be a streaming platform, and those schools aren't going to want to be stuck on there with their games against the above mentioned schools.

At the end of the day, because there is no cap on spending, no guardrails, these schools and conferences just want more, more more, and everyone is out for themselves, and at the end of the day, I think people will look back at the wreckage of what was a great collegiate set up, and say "WTF".

There has always been movement, but it was more reshuffling than anything. Now it's in a breakoff mode of the larger schools. And everyone else has the FOMO or want to eat everything they kill.

PSU absolutely has the kind of leverage to block Pitt, and has used it numerous times in the past. OSU’s former President even said so outright.

And I think you’re underestimating what PSU means to the B1G. Remember when they found out that the ACC was courting PSU? Multiple B1G AD’s have publicly stated that keeping PSU happy was one of the main reasons for adding Maryland and Rutgers.

So why does the fan base cry around about not getting any respect from the B1G?

The only places where I can find that OSU quote is on message boards such as this. Does anybody have a link to the original source?

Hail,

Penn State doesn’t have that kind of leverage. They can voice their disapproval, but that’s it.

Ask yourself this question… If PSU decided to leave the Big Ten and join the SEC, how badly would it damage the Big Ten brand compared to if Ohio State or Michigan left???

Answer: PSU could easily be replaced. Michigan or Ohio State leaving would be a much bigger blow.

When it comes right down to it, the only teams that matter are UM and OSU. Other factors have kept Pitt from getting in the Big Ten, not PSU.

It sounds like they did. Not my opinion. That's what Gordon Gee stated.

I never thought of PSU in the SEC until right now but its not as far-fetched as it would seem. Lets say the SEC adds UNC and UVa. PSU is more similar to those rural SEC schools. I wouldn’t bet on this but if I am PSU, I'd listen.

You’re delusional, punk…. If Michigan or Ohio State told PSU to eat $hit and bark at the moon, they’ll do it…PSU is their bitch on and off the field… They are no better than Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU…. The only two that matters in the Big Ten is Michigan & Ohio State…. PERIOD…

Crawl back in your hole….

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAlMeinutsich
I never thought of PSU in the SEC until right now but its not as far-fetched as it would seem. Lets say the SEC adds UNC and UVa. PSU is more similar to those rural SEC schools. I wouldn’t bet on this but if I am PSU, I'd listen.
Well, it was a hypothetical. If the Big Ten were to think about unequal shares and giving UM and OSU more than the rest, the other schools would have options. But if it were to happen, it wouldn't be those two, and the rest. More likely schools like Purdue and Rutgers would have more to worry about. PSU and USC aren't getting cut out. And the SEC gets nothing from adding Indiana or Purdue.

On the other hand, when you are all getting near $100 million/yr, cutting a few of them back to $80 million and distributing the difference to the top 3-4 is really chickenfeed. The sobering thing is that you could cut Rutgers back to a 50% share and they'd still be getting more than the ACC.

The sheer amount of money these days really is staggering. If there is still anybody out there that thinks players shouldn't get a cut of it all, these figures should put that notion to rest.

Reactions: ThePanthers
You’re delusional, punk…. If Michigan or Ohio State told PSU to eat $hit and bark at the moon, they’ll do it…PSU is their bitch on and off the field… They are no better than Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU…. The only two that matters in the Big Ten is Michigan & Ohio State…. PERIOD…

Crawl back in your hole….

Not sure what you’re so angry with me for, friend. I’m just letting you know that your opinion directly contradicts what’s been said by some very high profile B1G authorities, and it’s all public record.

Here’s Ohio State’s former president Gordon Gee saying that PSU wouldn’t let Pitt in, just as OSU wouldn’t let Cincinnati in:

“You know Penn State just abhors Pitt. It would be the same way. Even though we love Cincinnati as a city, we want it to be an Ohio State city. They’d have to take Gene out and shoot him to let Cincinnati into the Big Ten. There are some things that we just would not to. And that’s the way that Penn State also feels about Pitt.”

Here’s what Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez said about adding Maryland and Rutgers to keep PSU happy:

“The ACC approached Penn State for membership in 2012, which demanded a response from former Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany.

“There was a little concern of Penn State being out there on its own and giving Penn State some home partners in its general area,” Silverman said. “I know people still kind of are a little uncertain about that today, and it was done for a different kind of reasoning. Usually, you expand to bring in a premier program athletically.”

No hard feelings. Have a blessed weekend.

Not sure what you’re so angry with me for, friend. I’m just letting you know that your opinion directly contradicts what’s been said by some very high profile B1G authorities, and it’s all public record.

Here’s Ohio State’s former president Gordon Gee saying that PSU wouldn’t let Pitt in, just as OSU wouldn’t let Cincinnati in:

“You know Penn State just abhors Pitt. It would be the same way. Even though we love Cincinnati as a city, we want it to be an Ohio State city. They’d have to take Gene out and shoot him to let Cincinnati into the Big Ten. There are some things that we just would not to. And that’s the way that Penn State also feels about Pitt.”

Here’s what Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez said about adding Maryland and Rutgers to keep PSU happy:

“The ACC approached Penn State for membership in 2012, which demanded a response from former Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany.

“There was a little concern of Penn State being out there on its own and giving Penn State some home partners in its general area,” Silverman said. “I know people still kind of are a little uncertain about that today, and it was done for a different kind of reasoning. Usually, you expand to bring in a premier program athletically.”

No hard feelings. Have a blessed weekend.

I’ll say it kinder, gentler….

The Big Ten will do whatever is in the best interest of the Big Ten and all of its members regardless of what Penn State thinks. That is fact. The only members that would give them pause would be Michigan and Ohio State. NOT Penn State.

To think that Penn State influenced the Big Ten to invite Maryland and Rutgers to the conference in order to appease them is pure nonsense and delusional.

Like I said, Pitt should have struck while the iron was hot. Steve was AD, so there was no chance.

They’d have to take Gene out and shoot him to let Cincinnati into the Big Ten. There are some things that we just would not to. And that’s the way that Penn State also feels about Pitt.”

There is a difference though between "things that we don't want" and "things that we could stop even if everyone else wanted them".

If everyone else in the Big Ten wanted Pitt, Penn State would have to live with it. They have no veto over that. If everyone else in the Big Ten wanted Cincinnati, Ohio State would have to live with it. They have no veto over that.

The problem, for both us and Cincinnati, is that not only does everyone else not want us, very few of them probably actually do.

There is a difference though between "things that we don't want" and "things that we could stop even if everyone else wanted them".

If everyone else in the Big Ten wanted Pitt, Penn State would have to live with it. They have no veto over that. If everyone else in the Big Ten wanted Cincinnati, Ohio State would have to live with it. They have no veto over that.

The problem, for both us and Cincinnati, is that not only does everyone else not want us, very few of them probably actually do.
That sums it up. Pitt would not have been a home run add. It has pluses and minues. So if a member objects, it isn't happening, as there are other candidates just as viable or more so. And one member strenuously objects, you move to the next candidate. Penn State doesn't have the clout of OSU or Michigan, but it isn't a Minnesota either. PSU was an important cornerstone of the Big Ten's long term vision of expanding the BTN major east coast markets.

When this went down, the BIg Ten was all about opening up new markets for the BTN. Pitt wouldn't do that for them. It has no shot at the B10 and it had the added issue that key member of the B10's eastern expansion ambition was dead set against Pitt. Flip campus locations with Rutgers, and Pitt would have been a shoe-in. But Pitt was way more valuable to the ACC because it opened up Pennsylvania for the ACC, and that is why we are there.

Last edited:
The issue that the Big Ten has right now, and it's a good one to have, is that very few schools are worth $80 million/yr to the rest of the conference. Pitt's not alone in that regard.

It’s true that Pitt has no shot at the B1G, that’s not an issue at present. It’s more a lament that Pitt didn’t make it in the various times opportunities arose to do it. It would be so much nicer to be sitting pretty (with minimal expectations to deliver) like a Northwestern or Wisconsin or Indiana or Illinois etc etc. In the ACC, most of us are just idling in neutral waiting for the inevitable. Hopefully we fight like demons to stretch it out to 2036 and lock the malcontents in, howling and screaming all along the way… F them, they are part of the problem. By that time I’ll likely be too old to follow it, and won’t give a dam, so let it all collapse 😁

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT