ADVERTISEMENT

Funny comment from Rushel Shell

Sadly that is what he was looking for. Shame that a athlete with that much ability wants to go back in time. Instead of challenging himself to get better
and get ready for the next level. But everyone gravitates to his own level, such a waste of talent!

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
I hope he has a decent year and applies for the draft. This will be his 4th year removed from high school so he is eligible. The other reason I hope he goes in to the draft is so we don't have to read another stupid article about him and his college experience. Good Luck and Good Bye

He's got 3 kids now???

I really want to root for him but just can't. Not the way him and his mother handled the departure from Pitt. No way.

Some of those comments on that article... Oh man!!! Haha

I hope Shell makes in the NFL so the kids have a better life growing up. I seriously forget Shell even played at Pitt because of Connor's rise as a running back. No need for me to be bitter thinking he owed me anything as a fan.

I hope Shell makes in the NFL so the kids have a better life growing up. I seriously forget Shell even played at Pitt because of Connor's rise as a running back. No need for me to be bitter thinking he owed me anything as a fan.

I hope I'm wrong but think he will be a shoulda woulda in a couple years and full of football regrets...

Does ACC player of the year see the field at RB if Shell stuck around? Wish him luck but will not lose any sleep with his issues gone
Shell should move to Linebacker, he was great high School because he could run over most Players. In College that does not happen as much, and in the Pros, even less.

Shell would be a Great Linebacker in my opinion. James Conner is far better, makes you miss, and is hard to bring down because he seldom allows anyone to hit him head on, much like Larry Czonka!

I still wish Shell and WVU great luck and season this year in the Big-!2! But he could be a All Pro Linebacker on Sunday better than Running back, just like Pryors finally accepting he is a better Wideout in the NFL rather than QB!

Last edited:
Didn’t the coach for wvcc criticize some players for spending too much time in class? Yep, high school academics make him happy!

Shell should move to Linebacker, he was great high School because he could run over most Players. In College that does not happen as much, and in the Pros, even less.

Shell would be a Great Linebacker in my opinion. James Conner is far better, makes you miss, and is hard to bring down because he seldom allows anyone to hit him head on, much like Larry Czonka!

I still wish Shell and WVU great luck and season this year in the Big-!2! But he could be a All Pro Linebacker on Sunday better than Running back, just like Pryors finally accepting he is a better Wideout in the NFL rather than QB!

I think Shell is to small to play linebacker..

the young man is having fun again...unlike his time at pitt.....no fun playing in front of empty seats disguised as fans.....you all really" upgraded" your schedule when you agreed to play the stumbling herd......but it's only natural......you 're afraid to play us so you pick on little brother......be carefull....you might be their first P5 victim in recent memory:eek:
Oh Shell had fun at Pitt smoking weed, getting fat at McDonalds etc. He liked Pitt which is why he begged to come back after he was refused acceptance at UCLA.

It turned out to be a blessing he quit as unheralded James Conner took over the spot and became an All American. Afraid to play WVU...LMAO...yeah nothing strikes fear into another team than an opponent who's gone 18-20 over the previous 3 years

I think Shell is to small to play linebacker..
Fair comment, and I watched him in High School and he had the speed and nose for the play much like Poluszny did, both play running back at Hopewell & Linebacker.

Poluszny went to Penn State and developed as a Linebacker often making tackle behind or at the line of scrimmage and actually helped turn the Penn State around after 4 of 5 losing years. He replaced Capone that was just horrible and I think became the leading tackler in in PSU History but often making tackles 4 to 6 yards down field. Once they started "Pos" that changed the entire PSU Defense. Pos grew into being 6'1" 240 lbs as he is today.

Shell is now 6'0" 210 Lbs and will have to grow to play in the NFL anyway, mush as Pos did. Shell has the quickness and speed to play Linebacker, in my opinion, and would have easier chance to make an NFL Roster, again in my opinion, had he play some Linebacker in College.

If Shell had remained at Pitt, no question Conner is better Running Back and Shell could have helped put big time at Linebacker, but he might have balked at the switch and he was a malcontent and still is, in my opinion. We shall see if he lives up to his great High School running or just remains average this year at WVU. Either way, Conner has proven to be the far better Running Back.

Just as I have thought all along Terrell Pryor could be a Hall of Fame Wide Receiver far better than QB, and we shall see how he does at tat position in Cleveland soon this year. I think Shell could be a pretty good Linebacker more than Running back in the NFL.

Nonetheless, both needed Attitude changes after having brilliant High School Careers in High School, then develop malcontent ego problems in College, and now must submit to realities of developing talent at another position, if they want to play in the NFL and earn a damn good living.

I really think Pryor will become very good at Wideout and I admire how he has changed since having a son. Shell remains to prove himself to himself let alone to his Team and Teammates and the NFL?

We shall see???

Speaking of his impression of WVU, “I feel like I'm back in high school again.”

Given their academics, no surprise here.

Top 10 party schools
  1. Syracuse University (Syracuse, NY)
  2. University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA)
  3. University of California-Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara, CA)
  4. West Virginia University (Morgantown, WV)
  5. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign(Champaign, IL)
  6. Lehigh University (Bethlehem, PA)
  7. Penn State University (University Park, PA)
  8. University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, WI)
  9. Bucknell University (Lewisburg, PA)
  10. University of Florida (Gainesville, FL)
Well maybe he loves to party like he's in high school!

:pNice comment, No Upside In Talking Down, I agree, he chose Pitt and it did not work out, but I wish him and WVU the best and hope he works out big time with the Mountaineers and the NFL!:D

Of all the Schools in the Big-12, I very much wish nothing but success for WVU over the other Schools, and I then like Coach Snyder's KSU. Although I am happy for Stoops being from Youngstown I never cared for OU as School or team but recognize their great history.

Brile's Baylor and Peterson's TCU are also favorites due to their great coaching, back I am still loyal to WVU first and foremost since being Big East Brothers in the past, and I wish the same for Penn State in the Big Ten. I can accept the Banter that remains between all 3 Schools as part of College Football, but I respect that all 3 Schools better together and should play each other every year.
;)

the young man is having fun again...unlike his time at pitt.....no fun playing in front of empty seats disguised as fans.....you all really" upgraded" your schedule when you agreed to play the stumbling herd......but it's only natural......you 're afraid to play us so you pick on little brother......be carefull....you might be their first P5 victim in recent memory:eek:
I have yet to see one Fan in the Stands win a game in College or the NFL?????

Additionally, PITT History is so much higher in producing way better Quality Record Setting, Award Winning, NFL All Pros, and in the Hall of Fames in the NCAA and NFL than WVU & Penn State?

All Research shows the last 50 years and last 15 years proves PITT is right there in the Top Five in producing the best players in the NFL along with Miami, USC, and Notre Dame, and not WVU or Penn State! I can post the Links to make you Think to tankful your Players have played against them, and you cheered against them to no avail?

Those are the facts you and any WVU or Penn State Fans anywhere cannot refute even when both Programs have beaten Pitt more in the last 30 years, which I acknowledge as Pitt's challenge to change?

WVU Players are still playing "Heinz Ketchup" to Pitt Players Deeds in the NCAA & NFL and is WVU's & Penn State's challenge and takes great Pitt Pride you have no choice to accept with facts on Pitt side, and WVU Players on the sidelines?

Our New AD has said, Pitt will play WVU and Penn State, and that is what you should accept as another fact, as WVU keeps trying to pass Pitt Records and Wins in the NCAA Record Books, in National Titles, Series, All-Americans, NFL All-Pros, NFL Offensive, Defensive & Rookie Of The Years, whenever all those WVU Fans on the Stands ever visit the Hall of Fames' and have to Hail & Bow to Pitt History and that is the 13-9 you need to accept with great regrets?

I don't mind Banter on Mountaineer Boards where I respect WVU Fans very much, but not on the Lair, Dear, is that clear Dear!

Good Luck this year in the Big-12!

Last edited:
"Snow Sled Baby said: the young man is having fun again...unlike his time at pitt.....no fun playing in front of empty seats disguised as fans.....you all really" upgraded" your schedule when you agreed to play the stumbling herd......but it's only natural......you 're afraid to play us so you pick on little brother......be carefull....you might be their first P5 victim in recent memory"

I have yet to see one Fan in the Stands win a game in College or the NFL?????

Additionally, PITT History is so much higher in producing way better Quality Record Setting, Award Winning, NFL All Pros, and in the Hall of Fames in the NCAA and NFL than WVU & Penn State?

All Research shows the last 50 years and last 15 years proves PITT is right there in the Top Five in producing the best players in the NFL along with Miami, USC, and Notre Dame, and not WVU or Penn State! I can post the Links to make you Think to be thankful your Players have played against them, and your fans in the stands cheered against them to no avail?

Those are the facts you and any WVU or Penn State Fans anywhere cannot refute even when both Programs have beaten Pitt more in the last 30 years, which I acknowledge as Pitt's challenge to change?

WVU Players are still playing "Heinz Ketchup" to Pitt Players Deeds in the NCAA & NFL and is WVU's & Penn State's challenge and takes great Pitt Pride you have no choice to accept with facts on Pitt side, and WVU Players on the sidelines?

Our New AD has said, Pitt will play WVU and Penn State, and that is what you should accept as another fact, as WVU keeps trying to pass Pitt Records and Wins in the NCAA Record Books, in National Titles, Series, All-Americans, NFL All-Pros, NFL Offensive, Defensive & Rookie Of The Years, whenever all those WVU Fans on the Stands ever visit the Hall of Fames' and have to Hail & Bow to Pitt History and that is the 13-9 you need to accept with great regrets?

If you want Pitt to respect WVU then respect Pitt on the Lair too, especially when the facts are on Pitt's upside!

I don't mind Banter on Mountaineer Boards where I respect WVU Fans very much, but not on the Lair, Dear, is that clear Dear!

Good Luck this year in the Big-12!

Last edited:

.....he was held accountable at PITT..

:pNice comment, No Upside In Talking Down, I agree, he chose Pitt and it did not work out, but I wish him and WVU the best and hope he works out big time with the Mountaineers and the NFL!:D

Of all the Schools in the Big-12, I very much wish nothing but success for WVU over the other Schools, and I then like Coach Snyder's KSU. Although I am happy for Stoops being from Youngstown I never cared for OU as School or team but recognize their great history.

Brile's Baylor and Peterson's TCU are also favorites due to their great coaching, back I am still loyal to WVU first and foremost since being Big East Brothers in the past, and I wish the same for Penn State in the Big Ten. I can accept the Banter that remains between all 3 Schools as part of College Football, but I respect that all 3 Schools better together and should play each other every year.
;)
Captain-there is nothing about Shell that suggests he could be a NFL LB, HS exploits aside. However, he certainly has a decent shot at being drafted in the first half of the drafts as a RB. If he has a future in the NFL, it's as a ballcarrier.

Now for my real concern about your post-you like Art Briles? After getting a good look at his traveling thug show last year in their bowl game I don't see how anyone outside of a Baylor fan could like that program. What a bunch of punks. Reminiscent of the old convicts era teams at The U. Yeah they're good, but they are punks about it. Hope they lose every game.

Some day, because of age, health, or just not being good enough, football will no longer be a part of his life. So what's he gonna be doing when he won't have football to fall back on? I feel sorry for anyone who's gonna be dependent on this guy.

Captain-there is nothing about Shell that suggests he could be a NFL LB, HS exploits aside. However, he certainly has a decent shot at being drafted in the first half of the drafts as a RB. If he has a future in the NFL, it's as a ballcarrier. Now for my real concern about your post-you like Art Briles? After getting a good look at his traveling thug show last year in their bowl game I don't see how anyone outside of a Baylor fan could like that program. What a bunch of punks. Reminiscent of the old convicts era teams at The U. Yeah they're good, but they are punks about it. Hope they lose every game.
Regardless, Art Briles can flat out coach and you do know the personal tragedies he had to overcome when Pitt was winning its National Championship, his Parents and Aunt died in a car crash on the way to see him play. Coach Briles developed a devout sense of faith throughout his life after that tragedy. He made his Bones in coaching Houston and has turned Baylor into a regular power in the Big-12 the last few years. Whether he can maintain it, we shall see?

I very much respect your views as you know, but Art Briles has also turned down other better coaching jobs, rather than leaving Baylor. Baylor was a bottom feeder a long time.

Paterno and Penn Staters used to say the same thing about Jackie Sherrill and Pitt Players, when he was not in compliance with many rules either and Jerry Sandusky would teach Penn State Players how to poke other players eyes, twist knees and legs after tacking, and stepping on their hands after a tackle?

So much for Coaching Ethics, but it is very competitive out there?

Captain-there is nothing about Shell that suggests he could be a NFL LB, HS exploits aside. However, he certainly has a decent shot at being drafted in the first half of the drafts as a RB. If he has a future in the NFL, it's as a ballcarrier.

As for Shell, I would have moved him to Linebacker at Pitt after seeing how much better Conner was rather moving Conner to Defensive End? This is my point and others can disagree and so be it!

I just feel Shell is a type of Running Back made when Football was in the 1970-80s in the heyday of Running Backs, but not as important in today's game. I still think he could be a good Linebacker in the NFL but without playing the position much in College, I agree it is highly unlikely he will do so in the NFL!

I think he will be drafted later rounds, play a few years, especially on Special Teams, but he is going to have really focus and dedicate himself to being way better than he has been showing so far?

I just don't believe on ripping on a Recruit that admits he had some problems and then goes elsewhere and just because he ended up at WVU does not displease me at all, I like going to WVU games, I respect WVU as an University, and I want Pitt to play WVU every year.

I also wish Shell well and hope he is a great a NFL Player! WVU winning the Big-12 is welcomed by me as well. Penn State in the Big Ten too. Both will make Pitt become more competitive, in my opinion. It is up to Pitt to make Pitt win more games, and no one else!

Last edited:
I followed Shell's high school career very closely and his last two years he never played LB, he played cornerback. He was a very large corner. The suggestion to make him a linebacker in college at this juncture is nonsensical.

Fair comment, and I watched him in High School and he had the speed and nose for the play much like Poluszny did, both play running back at Hopewell & Linebacker.

Poluszny went to Penn State and developed as a Linebacker often making tackle behind or at the line of scrimmage and actually helped turn the Penn State around after 4 of 5 losing years. He replaced Capone that was just horrible and I think became the leading tackler in in PSU History but often making tackles 4 to 6 yards down field. Once they started "Pos" that changed the entire PSU Defense. Pos grew into being 6'1" 240 lbs as he is today.

Shell is now 6'0" 210 Lbs and will have to grow to play in the NFL anyway, mush as Pos did. Shell has the quickness and speed to play Linebacker, in my opinion, and would have easier chance to make an NFL Roster, again in my opinion, had he play some Linebacker in College.

If Shell had remained at Pitt, no question Conner is better Running Back and Shell could have helped put big time at Linebacker, but he might have balked at the switch and he was a malcontent and still is, in my opinion. We shall see if he lives up to his great High School running or just remains average this year at WVU. Either way, Conner has proven to be the far better Running Back.

Just as I have thought all along Terrell Pryor could be a Hall of Fame Wide Receiver far better than QB, and we shall see how he does at tat position in Cleveland soon this year. I think Shell could be a pretty good Linebacker more than Running back in the NFL.

Nonetheless, both needed Attitude changes after having brilliant High School Careers in High School, then develop malcontent ego problems in College, and now must submit to realities of developing talent at another position, if they want to play in the NFL and earn a damn good living.

I really think Pryor will become very good at Wideout and I admire how he has changed since having a son. Shell remains to prove himself to himself let alone to his Team and Teammates and the NFL?

We shall see???

Sadly that is what he was looking for. Shame that a athlete with that much ability wants to go back in time. Instead of challenging himself to get better
and get ready for the next level. But everyone gravitates to his own level, such a waste of talent!

You act like he dropped to DI-AA? He's at a P5 school, Big 12, just as challenging as the ACC. Not a lower level. Weird comment?

You act like he dropped to DI-AA? He's at a P5 school, Big 12, just as challenging as the ACC. Not a lower level. Weird comment?

the entire thread began as a comparison between high school and wvu academics. But we know where you already stand on the "student" portion of the student-athlete equation.

I followed Shell's high school career very closely and his last two years he never played LB, he played cornerback. He was a very large corner. The suggestion to make him a linebacker in college at this juncture is nonsensical.
Mehinpgh,
I do remember you followed him and reported on him every week and did a great job as well as reading your post with joy. I did not follow him as much and defer to you High School knowledge of him, but I did listen to his last few games. The announcer said he played in Linebacker Position a few times, but again, I know you followed him. Shell also played Special Teams and Defense and his recruiting ravings said he would be a great back if he just played on Offense..

My point was if Shell was at Pitt today, I would play him at Linebacker because he is 6'0" 225 and that is about the same size Pitt Linebackers play now, some a bit taller. I would do so because Pitt needs speedy Linebackers and due to Conner runs better that Shell. But that is just me, and my opinion.

If Shell was still at Pitt would you play him at Running Back with Conner or make him a Safety or Cornerback? Just curious and no right or wrong, as far as I am concern and I respect you're opinions!

I remember Dorsett at 5-10 and 140 was playing Monster Man Roaming Linebacker in a 52 (Two Other Linebackers In The Middle) Oklahoma Defense his first year at Hopewell as a Sophomore and only once in awhile at Running Back. This changed in his Junior and Senior years when he went to Running Back.

Yet, Joe Paterno recruited him to become a Cornerback and he would have been a great one, but Johnny Majors loved him at Running Back.

Paterno did the same thing to Justin King and made him a a Cornerback and sometimes a Wide Receiver on a few plays, but I always thought he would have been a far better Running Back? If you followed, Justin King, do you think King should have stayed at Wideout and Running Back?? I ask because King went in Third Round in the NFL DRAFT. Yet I thought he had some great moves at Running Back in High School, any thoughts??

I have no problem with Shell at WVU but Smallwood just seems to makes that Offense go better than Shell?

Some of you guys on here are a little over the top with your hate for WVU.

He only meant that he feels he's going to be a dominant RB this year and put up big time numbers like he did in high school.

He was on pace to have a 1,000+ yard season (in a much tougher conference than the ACC) last year before he hurt his ankle and missed a couple games. Don't be shocked if he has a big year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT