ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question about Narduzzi

When Pitt's NIL money & financial support start to look like that of Alabama, UGA, USC, tOSU, Michigan, etc. it will start to get better recruits.

Until then, this is what you get regardless of your coaching staff or style of play.
Wrong, you guys have this misconception that EVERY player is getting million dollar NIL's and that simply is not true. He is a terrible recruiter

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Wrong, you guys have this misconception that EVERY player is getting million dollar NIL's and that simply is not true. He is a terrible recruiter
Most kids drafted from an ACC over the last 3 years:

Pitt: 14
Clemson: 13
UNC: 13
VT: 9
Miami: 8
FSU: 6
Wake: 5
Lousiville: 5
NC State: 4
Cuse: 4
BC: 4
GT: 4
Duke: 4
UVA: 2

I guess he can spot talent and develop them so he couldn’t be that bad? Unless you’re using another measurement?

Completely disagree on your last point. There are losses and then there are bad losses…just like there are wins you should expect and those which are upsets. Pitt lost 2 games the last 2 years when heavily favored including losses to dregs WMU, GT and Louisville…2 of those were at home which make the losses even worse. You can also put Saturday’s debacle in the bad loss category. Other than the win at home against Miami Pickett ‘s freshman year and the win at Clemson, Narduzzi hasn’t pulled off many W’s that fall into the shocker category which is precisely why he isn’t respected nationally. In the end, however, you want respect, you have to win the games you’re supposed to win, especially interconference tussles, if you want national respect.

Louisville was favored last year. While you believe it was unacceptable, the people who make a living setting lines favored Louisville. We all want to win every game.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Nobody thinks EVERY player is getting million dollar NIL deals. It's only the really good ones (that we can't recruit) that are getting paid significant cash.

I think calling him a terrible recruiter is pretty ridiculous. I think it's fair to say they could do better, or need to hire more dynamic assistant coaches, but nobody has recruited here with any chops since the Golden Panthers were disbanded.

Louisville was favored last year. While you believe it was unacceptable, the people who make a living setting lines favored Louisville. We all want to win every game.

so you actually believe that was an acceptable loss…if so, you’re in the minority of Pitt fans. Louisville was a horrible team. If Louisville was favored it was because Pitt was at its nadir during last season.

• Haha
That's a helluva take considering the number of guys he's sent to the league and the fact that he has the ACC's second best winning % since he took over. If he's a terrible recruiter, he must be one helluva coach.

That's a helluva take considering the number of guys he's sent to the league and the fact that he has the ACC's second best winning % since he took over. If he's a terrible recruiter, he must be one helluva coach.
He is neither.. The ACC is not that strong and of those pro's. How many are on active rosters?

• Haha
EXCELLENT POST

its amazing to me how many pitt fans want to defend a 7-8 win program and justify everything away.

i highly doubt both Narduzzi AND Heather....are satisfied with this.

And yet....post after post....excuse after excuse.

Bottom line; This should be a top 25 program year in and year out. The benchmark to me, is 9 wins. That is realistic for this program with its strengths and weaknesses

We are getting nowhere near this level this year, and next year is # 10 under this HC.

twice in 9 years...we hit 9 + wins.

And that seems to be ok with many here.
It is extremely hard to be a 9 win program, there were only 12 P5 programs in 2010s and there are only 10 from 2012 to 2022.

so you actually believe that was an acceptable loss…if so, you’re in the minority of Pitt fans. Louisville was a horrible team. If Louisville was favored it was because Pitt was at its nadir during last season.

You're the one who's claiming what's acceptable and what isn't.

I'm simply pointing out they weren't the team favored to win, so acting like it should have been an easy win is pretty dumb.

I'll never forget 2018. We were blown out by PSU. But it got worse ... a couple weeks later we had a road game at UNC, and UNC was horrible that year. And we lost. ESPN had some sort of predictor, and after falling to UNC, it predicted us to lose every single game for the rest of the season. It was looking grim. Expected 2-10 record. What happened? We win our next 5 conference games to win the Coastal. Oh, and Watson was canned by the end of the year. Could this year play out similarly? Maybe that's wishful thinking.
Schedule is massively better this year. REmember, we lost the last 3 games last year and two of them were absolute massacres. The middle part of that schedule was terrible, while this year we have two games in ND and FSU that are likely losses, and a bunch of other games like Louisville, Duke, and Syracuse that are very much toss ups.

I guess he can spot talent and develop them so he couldn’t be that bad? Unless you’re using another measurement?
Shouldn't we have been better then, especially last year? I think the fact they went 8-4 last year with all the guys drafted is more an indictment than something to brag about.

Two. Can I say it should have been three if we don’t hire cignetti?
Addison wasn't coming back even if Whipple was still OC. He think he would have come back if Kenny was still going to be his QB. At the end of the day, he got to make good bank and play with a Heisman QB he was also familiar with that in all honesty, is probably going to have a better NFL career than Pickett.

That is a ridiculous take.
It's not a take. It's a factual statement.

A program like Cincy, MSU, and TCU can sneak into the playoff occasionally. It's an absolute lock that they have no realistic shot of winning it, and it's usually going to end in embarrassment. They simply don't have the players and can't recruit to the level to compete.

And it's always a one off. There is literally ZERO chance that it elevates their program in any meaningful way in terms of competing for top recruits or winning championships.

Narduzzi isn't without his warts - but the real question is: Are the odds so high that we could get a better coach, that its worth moving on from him? I think the answer is a resounding "No" at this point.
While I’m not advocating we get rid of Narduzzi, this argument is ridiculous. Just about every single OC and DC in the Country is looking to become a HC. If Narduzzi were to bolt, or Pitt moved on, the options for Pitt would be plentiful.

It's not a take. It's a factual statement.

A program like Cincy, MSU, and TCU can sneak into the playoff occasionally. It's an absolute lock that they have no realistic shot of winning it, and it's usually going to end in embarrassment. They simply don't have the players and can't recruit to the level to compete.

And it's always a one off. There is literally ZERO chance that it elevates their program in any meaningful way in terms of competing for top recruits or winning championships.
Still an incredibly stupid take by you.

Schedule is massively better this year. REmember, we lost the last 3 games last year and two of them were absolute massacres. The middle part of that schedule was terrible, while this year we have two games in ND and FSU that are likely losses, and a bunch of other games like Louisville, Duke, and Syracuse that are very much toss ups.
Someday you might shut up and take off your clown shoes. Someday, maybe.

Several. He sucks at coaching and recruiting
He certainly isn’t the best recruiter, but I don’t think you can call him a bad coach since he takes “poor” (in terms of rankings) recruiting classes and cranks out draft picks. That’s the sign of being a good coach/developer of talent.

I think a better argument is that he isn’t a great game day tactician, which IMO is different than coaching.

EXCELLENT POST

its amazing to me how many pitt fans want to defend a 7-8 win program and justify everything away.

i highly doubt both Narduzzi AND Heather....are satisfied with this.

And yet....post after post....excuse after excuse.

Bottom line; This should be a top 25 program year in and year out. The benchmark to me, is 9 wins. That is realistic for this program with its strengths and weaknesses

We are getting nowhere near this level this year, and next year is # 10 under this HC.

twice in 9 years...we hit 9 + wins.

And that seems to be ok with many here.
Pitt isn't top 25 in football revenue, athletic department revenue, attendance, or donations.

So why should we be a top 25 team "year in and year out"? If anything, Georgia Tech has a stronger argument for that considering how much more local talent they have, yet we constantly outperform them.

Reactions: ThePanthers

It seems the be a weird phenomenon here. Pitt always seems to have some high end talent but past that there’s a bigger drop off.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Addison wasn't coming back even if Whipple was still OC. He think he would have come back if Kenny was still going to be his QB. At the end of the day, he got to make good bank and play with a Heisman QB he was also familiar with that in all honesty, is probably going to have a better NFL career than Pickett.

Lincoln Riley QB's in the NFL haven't exactly been setting the league on fire

Lincoln Riley QB's in the NFL haven't exactly been setting the league on fire
True, but I think it's it different thing once they jump to the league. It's once again processing everything quicker and adjusting to the speed of the game - and of course accuracy and timing. Those tight windows become a lot tighter in the NFL.

I think he did a fantastic job with Jalen Hurts, and I think Caleb Williams development has been off the charts as a passer from where he was as a true freshman.

Several. He sucks at coaching and recruiting
Stupidest take I’ve read on this board in a long long time….

So you’re saying you’d rather Pitt was more like UNC, Miami, VT, FSU over the last three years?????

Each team has “out recruited” Pitt on paper but fell miserably short on the field!

Is that your idea of success? Is that your definition of great coaching and recruiting?

****nARRATIONS oF A nUMBSKULL*****

Stupidest take I’ve read on this board in a long long time….

So you’re saying you’d rather Pitt was more like UNC, Miami, VT, FSU over the last three years?????

Each team has “out recruited” Pitt on paper but fell miserably short on the field!

Is that your idea of success? Is that your definition of great coaching and recruiting?

****nARRATIONS oF A nUMBSKULL*****
I don’t think he sucks. I think he is stubborn and it’s often a detriment to the program

I’m on the fence on this. I do think Cincy is better than they were projected to be. But to lose, at home, to the same coach you lost to last year, on a completely different team that had a ton of turnover, in year 9… is frustrating. Now maybe we make too much out of a single loss and this staff has a good track record of bouncing back after losses, so I’m not going scorched earth just yet.
Unfortunately, Cincy is 2-2. Loss to Oklahoma is ok, loss to rival Miami OH is not.

Narduzzi hasn’t accomplished much more than several of his predecessors with more than three times the support they received. Pitt literally operated on a shoe string and paid lip service to FB the last 40 years . Anyone who uses the last 40 years to illustrate their view on what Pitt’s ceiling is as a program is complete.y off base. It’s like having a child with a 150 IQ and accepting c’s on their report because Those are the grades they received when they didn’t study and skipped class…devoid of logic!
Harris, given practically no money, had one losing season. Pat's already had his and this one shaping up to be his second.

Reactions: Islanderpanther
Harris, given practically no money, had one losing season. Pat's already had his and this one shaping up to be his second.
not to split hairs but Walt had 2, 98 & 99.

Narduzzi is the best coach since Sherrill, the record speaks for itself with the undisputed ACC championship, and not some 4 way tie like Wanny & Walt had in a crap conference.

But I describe him as the king of the average coaches we have had since Sherrill. Both can be true, not mutually exclusive. Narduzzi is best coach since Sherril and still an average football coach

Reactions: Islanderpanther
Beyond anything else, this is what I just absolutely never got about the love affair with Narduzzi and for that matter Wanny, especially when you consider how much the fanbase seemed to hate Walt and Chryst.

Wanny had the worst three year stretch this century, and then couldn't win what was essentially the American as he got slapped around by Brian Kelly despite having massively superior talent. Much like Pat there were the same complaints, a boring, archaic offense.

Pat started off well going 8-4 but mainly built around the OL and RB's recruited by the previous staff. The defense which was supposed to be his specialty was horrific at first, probably worse than it should have been given the talent playing at the time, and honestly kept an 8-4 team in 2016 from being 10-2 or better. Then those initial holdovers on offense went away and for four years it was a total poop sandwich.

Then Pat has one amazing year, built on an offense that scored and scored fast. We win the ACC. So what does he do, hires a dude that wants to limit the offense. 2021 is ok, but the schedule is tissue soft, we lose a couple really awful games and go 8-4 when we should have never gone less than 10-2, and now this year it all falls apart.

Overall, he has been mediocre, has had awful offenses, and his defenses while often good tend to get blown up at awful times. He had one really good year which at this point is a fluke.

The only reason I can figure why people like Narduzzi and Dave so much is because they are essentially both yinzers or that it is an old fanbase that likes the ground and pahnd bs, and I certainly can't figure why they get held up on such a high level compared to Walt who had to go up against historically great Miami teams and VT teams that were outstanding, not to mention syracuse and BC programs that weren't terrible at the time.

$5.7 mil. A year for a defense who gets torched by any qb with a pulse and an offense who seems capped at 2 TD max per games

Awesome

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT