ADVERTISEMENT

I wouldn't give up on Kenny

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
He wasnt very good at Pitt until later in his career. If you remember, he had really low Wunderlich scores and I believe it takes him longer than a lot of quarterbacks to learn the intricancies of the offense and opposing defenses which is why you saw so many check downs and why he would leave the pocket and scramble early in his Pitt career. He needs time. If the Steelers can go out and get a big time QB, so be it. But if its Pickett vs Rudolph, there is no debate. Pickett is 3 years younger and is still learning. Give him the job with the new OC. There is a ceiling with Rudolph. Pickett still has potential.

Get me someone off the Shannahan tree to either be the HC or OC and I think that is Kenny's best bet to be a successful QB in this league.

The next QB to lead the Steelers on a deeper playoff run isn’t currently on the roster.
Most likely not yet in the NFL.
Figuring out how they are going to obtain a playoff caliber QB is more important than figuring out who is going to be the head coach.

After seeing Rudolph, not sure Kenny big enough. Definitely has to get stronger.

After hearing a bunch of hater crap all season of “ Kenny isn’t the answer” I hope is now obvious the in fact “ The Steelers aren’t the answer”… they weren’t very good and their problems are a lot more vast than QB…

Get a real OC with a real system, an QB coach and I’d be working on building a line and possibly getting more players on defense as well. Oh and another WR.

The Steelers have something like 16 coaches while others have 20-23? Quit trying to win on the cheap. It’s not 1977.

I’d also fire at least half of PGH media coverage because they clearly are more interested in creating false controversy than anything else

Last edited:
After hearing a bunch of hater crap all season of “ Kenny isn’t the answer” I hope is now obvious the in fact “ The Steelers aren’t the answer”… they weren’t very good and their problems are a lot more vast than QB…
Part of the problem is QB's who are truly special can overcome the mediocre around them, or at least mask 80% of it anyway.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Get me someone off the Shannahan tree to either be the HC or OC and I think that is Kenny's best bet to be a successful QB in this league.
Rooney is too stupid, he is searching for an offensive mind that's an expert on 1970s run offense., to pound the rock to the tune of 16ppg

I want Kenny to be great, but when I watched CJ Stroud, Jordan Love and some of the other QBs this weekend, I'm not sure he's ever going to do that in the NFL.

For me, a big thing is what those guys are able to do from various release points. They can just flick the ball down field from any arm angle, and it's seemingly effortless. Pickett, on the other hand, looks like a guy who is so dependent on fundamentals that it's actually bringing him down. He has to plant a certain way, zip it with all his might, etc. I just don't see the natural talents that allow for plays to be made in any situation. And I can't be convinced that those gloves don't affect touch.

For me, a big thing is what those guys are able to do from various release points. They can just flick the ball down field from any arm angle, and it's seemingly effortless. Pickett, on the other hand, looks like a guy who is so dependent on fundamentals that it's actually bringing him down. He has to plant a certain way, zip it with all his might, etc. I just don't see the natural talents that allow for plays to be made in any situation. And I can't be convinced that those gloves don't affect touch.
Great post and that's what I saw too. Game-changing throws. When you don't have that type of arm, you need to be very accurate, have good pocket management, be a good rhythm thrower. Pickett hasn't been any of those things yet. I wish they never hired Matt Canada or at least fired him after Ben's last year so Pickett could've been developed under an NFL level coordinator. He wasn't and the Steelers are in a real tough spot entering the offseason.

Great post and that's what I saw too. Game-changing throws. When you don't have that type of arm, you need to be very accurate, have good pocket management, be a good rhythm thrower. Pickett hasn't been any of those things yet. I wish they never hired Matt Canada or at least fired him after Ben's last year so Pickett could've been developed under an NFL level coordinator. He wasn't and the Steelers are in a real tough spot entering the offseason.
KP is a lower end starter higher end backup who should have a fairly lengthy career

That's why Stroud was the 2nd pick in the draft, and why Love snuck into the first round.

Love was a drafted based on arm talent, and was brought along slowly by a pretty damn good offensive coach. Hit rates on QBs picked in the 20s is low. He's put it all together in year 4 and looks like the real deal.

Pickett, who never had the physical traits to be a top QB, was thrown to the wolves in year one behind a shit offensive line and had the worst offensive coaching staff in the NFL. The results aren't surprising.

That's why Stroud was the 2nd pick in the draft, and why Love snuck into the first round.

Love was a drafted based on arm talent, and was brought along slowly by a pretty damn good offensive coach. Hit rates on QBs picked in the 20s is low. He's put it all together in year 4 and looks like the real deal.

Pickett, who never had the physical traits to be a top QB, was thrown to the wolves in year one behind a shit offensive line and had the worst offensive coaching staff in the NFL. The results aren't surprising.
Man if that aint the truth I don't know what is.

Great point on the release points take. It’s fun to watch with those other guys and assumed Kenny could do it too given his athleticism. But maybe not??

And while Jordan Love was impressive, half of those throws were to guys running 20 yards wide open. Who is scheming those plays up, the HC or the OC? Duck Hodges would have looked good too. But Love has been on a bit of a terror even before that game.

There’s many failed NFL quarterbacks out there whining today that if only I would have played for a better OC….

There’s many failed NFL quarterbacks out there whining today that if only I would have played for a better OC….
I'd argue some are still playing with a guaranteed spot in the semi-finals in Baker and Goff tgat would'vejustly made that argument until this season. Heck, look how Love looked last season and earlier this season with one of the best O minds in the league molding in his 4th season until he took flight later in the year.

I think KP gets one more year. But I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting someone or trading for someone to come in and compete with him (or re-signing Rudolph). Otherwise you waste another year if KP doesn’t make big strides. He hasn’t shown me enough to be automatically penciled in as the third year starter.

He wasnt very good at Pitt until later in his career. If you remember, he had really low Wunderlich scores and I believe it takes him longer than a lot of quarterbacks to learn the intricancies of the offense and opposing defenses which is why you saw so many check downs and why he would leave the pocket and scramble early in his Pitt career. He needs time. If the Steelers can go out and get a big time QB, so be it. But if its Pickett vs Rudolph, there is no debate. Pickett is 3 years younger and is still learning. Give him the job with the new OC. There is a ceiling with Rudolph. Pickett still has potential.

I love how all over the place everyone is with their opinions on these QB’s. The same people praising Rudolph were dumping on him a few years ago when he got replaced by Duck.

Dejan Kovacevic was just saying in his typical holier than thou tone “YOU HAVE A QB1” in reference to Mason, while before the season he was very definitive in explaining his limitations and how Kenny was going to be better… and we saw how that went. Thing is, I don’t think Mason or Kenny are going to be “the answer”. Watch Mason start next year and then struggle after a few games - will everyone call for Kenny then? I have a feeling though that the inverse might happen - and then we’ll see for sure that neither will be “the answer”.

Hope I’m wrong. Obviously I’m a big Pickett fan for what he did at Pitt, just never really had a good feeling about him as an NFL QB.

I love how all over the place everyone is with their opinions on these QB’s. The same people praising Rudolph were dumping on him a few years ago when he got replaced by Duck.

Dejan Kovacevic was just saying in his typical holier than thou tone “YOU HAVE A QB1” in reference to Mason, while before the season he was very definitive in explaining his limitations and how Kenny was going to be better… and we saw how that went. Thing is, I don’t think Mason or Kenny are going to be “the answer”. Watch Mason start next year and then struggle after a few games - will everyone call for Kenny then? I have a feeling though that the inverse might happen - and then we’ll see for sure that neither will be “the answer”.

Hope I’m wrong. Obviously I’m a big Pickett fan for what he did at Pitt, just never really had a good feeling about him as an NFL QB.
Dude there were people on X calling for Kenny during the Bills game. Fans in this town are disloyal and reactionary. We love you till we hate you.

Dude there were people on X calling for Kenny during the Bills game. Fans in this town are disloyal and reactionary. We love you till we hate you.
It's totally 100% right to change from loving to hating after you get into the game and don't perform over a considerable number of games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT