ADVERTISEMENT

It's A Hockey Night In Pittsburgh !

Sullivan is a wuss in general; he needs to embrace having a gooning his team and letting him do his job. But Sullivan isn’t to blame for this series loss. The team played a helluva tough series with tremendous adversity heaped on them from game 1, shift 1. Too much against them to overcome.
Agree this is the best the team AND Crosby has played in a while. When it comes to Sullivan however, how do you explain the 4 previous lifeless playoffs?

The NHL is orgasmic that New York won. It’s not a conspiracy per se, but Trouba needed suspended for his hit on Crosby, and by not doing so, that is the only evidence needed of how the NHL truly wanted this series to go. Favoritism for the team in the huge media market.
No doubt big bonuses coming from the league to the Pens' players who turned the puck over leading to both the trying goal and OT penalty that lead to the game-winner.

The NHL is orgasmic that New York won. It’s not a conspiracy per se, but Trouba needed suspended for his hit on Crosby, and by not doing so, that is the only evidence needed of how the NHL truly wanted this series to go. Favoritism for the team in the huge media market.
sigh

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Did they outdraw the pirates today? I bet they did.
Unfortunately, the Pirates are massively profitable even before the first game, thanks to the kickbacks they get from the other teams with high payrolls. Even the most minimal attendance is gravy.

Conducting the actual games is basically a 6 month “F U” to the city that paid for the stadium. It would actually do the city a favor if they just outright forfeited, rather than conduct a 3 hour virtual forfeit every night that allows the legitimate sports world to mock the city 162 times a year.

Agree this is the best the team AND Crosby has played in a while. When it comes to Sullivan however, how do you explain the 4 previous lifeless playoffs?
Different ones each year. But common denominators: Mostly porous, indifferent defense; too much cuteness and admiring of their own passes on offense; And really subpar goaltending.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and gary2
Who has been better the last 4 years? Tomlin or Sully? I still think it’s Sully and it’s not close.

and to be clear, I’m not ripping Tomlin. There’s a lot I like about him.

Reactions: ONGB and pittbb80
I thought Jarry was fine. Not spectacular, but quite good. Two perfectly placed shots, a seeing-eye goal through tons of traffic and yet another “own goal” off Matheson’s skate. Penalty kill didn’t do a good enough job clearing the zone. Game could’ve gone either way. If we hadn’t needed to go to Domingue, I think they advance. Bummer.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
I thought Jarry was fine. Not spectacular, but quite good. Two perfectly placed shots, a seeing-eye goal through tons of traffic and yet another “own goal” off Matheson’s skate. Penalty kill didn’t do a good enough job clearing the zone. Game could’ve gone either way. If we hadn’t needed to go to Domingue, I think they advance. Bummer.
Not defending Louis but his save percentage of 89.8 was a tad higher than the Tampa goalie at 89.7. Surprised that Vasilevsky was that low for these playoffs.

for a third string goalie, Louis gave us a chance. Can’t be too disappointed with him. Unfortunately, he’ll be remembered for his last goal allowed.

Last edited:
Not defending Louis but his save percentage of 89.8 was a tad higher than the Tampa goalie at 89.7. Surprised that Vasilevsky was that low for these playoffs.

for a third string goalie, Louis gave us a chance. Can’t be too disappointed with him. Unfortunately, he’ll be remembered for his last goal allowed.
Other than the last very bad goal Domingue gave up, his performance was pretty much the same as Jarry’s last night. Goals given up off screens from your own defenseman, and caroms off your defenseman’s skates. Add in some goals given up by both of them that you’d like to see them stop but not what you could call really bad blown saves.

A lot of other reasons why we lost any of those last 3 games.

Reactions: CCHS82
Who has been better the last 4 years? Tomlin or Sully? I still think it’s Sully and it’s not close.

and to be clear, I’m not ripping Tomlin. There’s a lot I like about him.
Both of them have become regular season coaches over the last 4 years. It is like they exist to get the team to the playoffs, and that should be a goal, even tho when they get there, their teams as currently constructed have little chance to compete for a title. Don't get me wrong, it is nice to see your team in the playoffs, but, I would rather see s few high draft picks where you could add elite talent.
To answer your question, Sully has had more hi-end talent and hasn't won a series in 5 years. I would give a slight edge to Tomlin, he doesn't have much elite talent outside of Watt.

Other than the last very bad goal Domingue gave up, his performance was pretty much the same as Jarry’s last night. Goals given up off screens from your own defenseman, and caroms off your defenseman’s skates. Add in some goals given up by both of them that you’d like to see them stop but not what you could call really bad blown saves.

A lot of other reasons why we lost any of those last 3 games.
This is the correct take. Jarry is nothing special in the least. He’s just OK. Lots of credit to him for playing last night while still injured. But I doubt there would have been a different outcome if he were healthy. Nor if he had played in the other games they lost.

One was an own goal and the game winner was…well I don’t even know how that went in. There were two bodies there.

Jarry’s glove hand was what it was on two goals, but the 22nd hijacker can rip it.
Truth
Well except for the idea of a Swede being a hijacker’s

If you are looking for someone to blame, blame me. I asked Alexa what the score of the Pens game was. She said 3-3 in OT so I turn it on. I hadn't watched 1 second of the Pens all season. Not even 10 seconds after I turn it on, the Rangers scored the GW.

If you are looking for someone to blame, blame me. I asked Alexa what the score of the Pens game was. She said 3-3 in OT so I turn it on. I hadn't watched 1 second of the Pens all season. Not even 10 seconds after I turn it on, the Rangers scored the GW.
Yeah. You’re not a hockey guy. I thought this thread on the free board without you in it was awesome.

Truth
Well except for the idea of a Swede being a hijacker’s
Wait, so people of middle eastern decent can’t migrate to Sweden? Who knew?
Come on man, have fun with it. His Dad is Persian. But you’d have been better using the idea of him being a Christian hijacker, since that’s what he is.

I'm surprised no one is mentioning the Ranger's goalie as a major factor in the Pens loss in Game 7?

Geez, guys! The Pens threw everything at him but the kitchen sink, swarmed him several times with incredible scoring chances, and somehow he twisted and turned and pushed and grabbed, stopping pretty much every one!

He let one dribble behind him, but made a ton of circus saves. The first flurry resulted in the obligatory rush and score for the Ranger's first goal.

Jarry played OK but Igor played GREAT when he had to. To beat a guy like that when he's on top of his game you have to get the bounces, and that wasn't happening last night for the Pens.

This series wasn't lost last night. It was lost in Game 5 and 6. Two empty 5 on 3's, stupid penalties at the wrong moment, losing Syd, not playing Jarry in Game 6.

Whichever team that won this series won't advance past Carolina. Pens too old, Rangers too young?

Will be interesting to see what Pens, under new ownership group, do in the off season. Doubt they'll throw money at aging stars, especially Malkin, and doubt they can afford Letang. Syd has a few years left, but his play will inevitably recede. Father time is undefeated.

Come on man, have fun with it. His Dad is Persian. But you’d have been better using the idea of him being a Christian hijacker, since that’s what he is.
Picking on Muslims is so yesterday..............

One other thought.....
The Pens were only about 2-2 1/2 minutes away from the Rangers pulling their goalie last night. That was what I was hoping to get to. Kept staring at the clock ticking down, which seemed to be going in slow motion.

Probably another league conspiracy!!

Picking on Muslims is so yesterday..............
It was simply a play on his name. I don’t really know any Alfredsens or Samuelsons to hijack a plane before. Although those Vikings can be pretty ruthless. As I’m learning by watching The Last Kingdom, evil comes in Christian and Viking/Pagan packages too.

One other thought.....
The Pens were only about 2-2 1/2 minutes away from the Rangers pulling their goalie last night. That was what I was hoping to get to. Kept staring at the clock ticking down, which seemed to be going in slow motion.

Probably another league conspiracy!!
Actually SMF said it was his fault but I think it was mine. I had just told my family that it was going to be the longest 6 minutes ever. The Rangers immediately scored.

I'm surprised no one is mentioning the Ranger's goalie as a major factor in the Pens loss in Game 7?

Geez, guys! The Pens threw everything at him but the kitchen sink, swarmed him several times with incredible scoring chances, and somehow he twisted and turned and pushed and grabbed, stopping pretty much every one!

He let one dribble behind him, but made a ton of circus saves. The first flurry resulted in the obligatory rush and score for the Ranger's first goal.

Jarry played OK but Igor played GREAT when he had to. To beat a guy like that when he's on top of his game you have to get the bounces, and that wasn't happening last night for the Pens.

This series wasn't lost last night. It was lost in Game 5 and 6. Two empty 5 on 3's, stupid penalties at the wrong moment, losing Syd, not playing Jarry in Game 6.

Whichever team that won this series won't advance past Carolina. Pens too old, Rangers too young?

Will be interesting to see what Pens, under new ownership group, do in the off season. Doubt they'll throw money at aging stars, especially Malkin, and doubt they can afford Letang. Syd has a few years left, but his play will inevitably recede. Father time is undefeated.
Yeah it’s head shaking that anyone blames Domingue. Jarry was still injured last night. Sullivan should have gone with Domingue and rallied the team to mount a significant effort behind him one more time. Same with Crosby as well, he was maybe a quarter of himself, which is still good but not worth the risk.

With both of those guys playing, albeit at far far far less than their usual, the other Penguins players treated things as business as usual, the same soft, weak defense, the easily broken up/intercepted sweeping mid ice passes, the prissy pirouetting and useless passing, passing, passing, passing and…still more passing that wasted most of the big PP opps they had early. They just despise dirty goals, and would rather go down playing their way than the way that is proven to win playoffs games. Hope those soaring memories soothe them through the extended summer they’ll have, yet again.

We definitely threw more shots at Igor than our goalie had to stop so I’d say he played better. And he made a few really good saves, but so did our goalie make a few really good ones as well. Same in general in the 1st 6 games aside from the large quantity of SOG in game 1.

But just in general, I don’t come away from this series thinking we really got stopped cold by what seemed like an unbeatable goalie like I felt after some of our prior playoff losses where we really struggled to put the puck in the net.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Yeah it’s head shaking that anyone blames Domingue. Jarry was still injured last night. Sullivan should have gone with Domingue and rallied the team to mount a significant effort behind him one more time. Same with Crosby as well, he was maybe a quarter of himself, which is still good but not worth the risk.

With both of those guys playing, albeit at far far far less than their usual, the other Penguins players treated things as business as usual, the same soft, weak defense, the easily broken up/intercepted sweeping mid ice passes, the prissy pirouetting and useless passing, passing, passing, passing and…still more passing that wasted most of the big PP opps they had early. They just despise dirty goals, and would rather go down playing their way than the way that is proven to win playoffs games. Hope those soaring memories soothe them through the extended summer they’ll have, yet again.
Pretty sure we watched different games last night?

Well his dad left Iran before he was born - and he was born in Sweden - so yeah. He’s a Swede

We definitely threw more shots at Igor than our goalie had to stop so I’d say he played better. And he made a few really good saves, but so did our goalie make a few really good ones as well. Same in general in the 1st 6 games aside from the large quantity of SOG in game 1.

But just in general, I don’t come away from this series thinking we really got stopped cold by what seemed like an unbeatable goalie like I felt after some of our prior playoff losses where we really struggled to put the puck in the net.
Well for sure we had his number early in the series, but starting toward the end of game 6 and certainly game 7, Shesterskin (sp?) kept the Rangers from getting way behind. The Pens needed just one more early last night, and that whole game changes!

The Pens had the crowd out of it when they took the lead. Just so hard to hold a one goal lead so long against such a fast and hard shooting team.

I haven’t felt a choke job like this since my college girlfriend. Unfortunately this one didn’t leave me as happy.

Pretty sure we watched different games last night?
Possibly. I was told last night that what Trouba did to Crosby did was perfectly fine since the infallible referees didn’t call a penalty on it, so the league had no role in the series loss at all.

So maybe I was not watching last night in the Bizarro world, where Crosby was 100% and not at risk at all playing among a group of headhunters 3 days after yet another concussion, and was as fantastic as he is at his best; and magically Jarry’s broken foot (or ankle or whatever he has) and a month’s worth of rust didn’t affect him, especially when the game had to go into extra time. Unfortunately I didn’t see that game. I saw the game where Crosby was playing in a fog and Jarry was struggling mightily as the game went longer.

Well for sure we had his number early in the series, but starting toward the end of game 6 and certainly game 7, Shesterskin (sp?) kept the Rangers from getting way behind. The Pens needed just one more early last night, and that whole game changes!

The Pens had the crowd out of it when they took the lead. Just so hard to hold a one goal lead so long against such a fast and hard shooting team.
Yeah it sure would have been nice to get that extra goal to go up 2. But there are 2 teams on the ice. We had some chances and Igor made some nice stops, I just never felt that goal-keeping was such a decided difference in this series like in some past years.

When you get right down to it, both teams played well most of the time. But even so, many of the goals were due to miscues or lucky bounces. The OT game winner set up by McGinn’s turnover and subsequent penalty. Rodrigues’ goal to give us the lead, great play by him but still due to a miscue by the Rangers. Marino’s turnover after after our guy’s helmet being torn off. I could go on with goals scored in the prior games due to miscues.

Let’s not forget the missed opportunities as well. Rust missing the open net in game 6 immediately comes to mind as a killer.

Reactions: 303vND
Possibly. I was told last night that what Trouba did to Crosby did was perfectly fine since the infallible referees didn’t call a penalty on it, so the league had no role in the series loss at all.

So maybe I was not watching last night in the Bizarro world, where Crosby was 100% and not at risk at all playing among a group of headhunters 3 days after yet another concussion, and was as fantastic as he is at his best; and magically Jarry’s broken foot (or ankle or whatever he has) and a month’s worth of rust didn’t affect him, especially when the game had to go into extra time. Unfortunately I didn’t see that game. I saw the game where Crosby was playing in a fog and Jarry was struggling mightily as the game went longer.
Those kind of hits and injuries happen in every series every year. This year has been no exception. There have been worse hits than the one on Crosby in other series, and I haven't heard of any suspensions or major penalties being called.

It is predictable that the game changes in the playoffs. The league turns a blind eye to it for sure and the grabbers play a significant role in these games. They neutralize the stars, which is the bizarro nature of the NHL. It isn't something aimed solely at Pittsburgh. It is in the NHL's DNA and it wrecks the game at the most important time of year.

The Pens didn't play "soft" last night, and they had excellent scoring chances on the PP, and scored 2. Malkin's line didn't give up a single shot in their 10 minutes of ice time. Yes, Crosby wasn't himself, and Jarry was playing hurt, both true. But under the circumstances, what else was there to do? Jarry made an exceptional stop on the Ranger's breakaway chance. Not sure Louie makes that save.

You don't goon it up in Game 7!! You're trying to win the game, not even the vendetta score sheet. And when players come back from injury so soon, you expect some rust, but them being out there is better than the alternative.

Pens lost this series when Crosby was hurt, and when Rodrigues lost his mind and retaliated giving the Rangers the momentum they needed. Could have still won game 6 if Louie makes that simple save on the game winner.

But believe what you want. Conspiracy theories are all the rage these days.............

Yeah it sure would have been nice to get that extra goal to go up 2. But there are 2 teams on the ice. We had some chances and Igor made some nice stops, I just never felt that goal-keeping was such a decided difference in this series like in some past years.

When you get right down to it, both teams played well most of the time. But even so, many of the goals were due to miscues or lucky bounces. The OT game winner set up by McGinn’s turnover and subsequent penalty. Rodrigues’ goal to give us the lead, great play by him but still due to a miscue by the Rangers. Marino’s turnover after after our guy’s helmet being torn off. I could go on with goals scored in the prior games due to miscues.

Let’s not forget the missed opportunities as well. Rust missing the open net in game 6 immediately comes to mind as a killer.
That's hockey! Bounces...........

Those kind of hits and injuries happen in every series every year. This year has been no exception. There have been worse hits than the one on Crosby in other series, and I haven't heard of any suspensions or major penalties being called.

It is predictable that the game changes in the playoffs. The league turns a blind eye to it for sure and the grabbers play a significant role in these games. They neutralize the stars, which is the bizarro nature of the NHL. It isn't something aimed solely at Pittsburgh. It is in the NHL's DNA and it wrecks the game at the most important time of year.

The Pens didn't play "soft" last night, and they had excellent scoring chances on the PP, and scored 2. Malkin's line didn't give up a single shot in their 10 minutes of ice time. Yes, Crosby wasn't himself, and Jarry was playing hurt, both true. But under the circumstances, what else was there to do? Jarry made an exceptional stop on the Ranger's breakaway chance. Not sure Louie makes that save.

You don't goon it up in Game 7!! You're trying to win the game, not even the vendetta score sheet. And when players come back from injury so soon, you expect some rust, but them being out there is better than the alternative.

Pens lost this series when Crosby was hurt, and when Rodrigues lost his mind and retaliated giving the Rangers the momentum they needed. Could have still won game 6 if Louie makes that simple save on the game winner.

But believe what you want. Conspiracy theories are all the rage these days.............
I appreciate your comments. I didn’t say they played soft nor that they could afford to seek a vendetta during this series (but in the fall, oh yes they should, though 75% of the team may well be gone then). That they didn’t play on the extended power plays they got early with any particular sense of urgency, that was absolutely true though.

Like the guy getting on my case yesterday for blaming the league for a significant part of the series loss,, you use the word conspiracy (which I never used); but earlier your post you admit/lament that the league is happy to see their stars get maimed. That is my biggest beef, ultimately. Hits like that, and those in the first game that took out Rakell and nearly Guentzel as well, should not be allowed to happen without stern discipline. I don’t know if the league is engaging in “conspiracy” by following such a philosophy, rather more like an unwritten “License To Ill”.

The Rangers knew that unwritten rule all too well, and leveraged it to salvage their series in game 5 at the point that they were almost certain to be eliminated. Gallant had no legitimate answers for getting dominated on the ice as his team was at that point, but knew he could order a hit on Crosby there, and Trouba knew he wouldn’t be disciplined when he was issued the order. I know I’d feel pretty hollow having to win like that, especially when I was the favored team playing a team with an emergency goalie, but if you’re willing to go to such extremes, I guess there isn’t much chance your character has the ability to feel shame either.

It’s over and done with, so what’s it matter now.

I'm curious how many of your previous handles from years past I have on ignore? Repetitive and stupid is just the worst combo on here..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT