ADVERTISEMENT

JUST WONDERING,,,

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
If Michael Penix, Jr. or J.J. McCarthy were to declare that they are sitting out the CFP to get ready to play at the next level, would that useless CFP Selection Committee replace Washington or Michigan with either Florida State or Georgia?
Oh, I know that isn't going to happen, but what a mess they would have on their hands.
Based upon their thought process that they used to determine that Florida State isn't the same team without QB Jordan Travis, those two teams would not be the same without their starting QB"s. Come on God, make it happen, please!!

Reactions: columbus mike
If Michael Penix, Jr. or J.J. McCarthy were to declare that they are sitting out the CFP to get ready to play at the next level, would that useless CFP Selection Committee replace Washington or Michigan with either Florida State or Georgia?
Oh, I know that isn't going to happen, but what a mess they would have on their hands.
Based upon their thought process that they used to determine that Florida State isn't the same team without QB Jordan Travis, those two teams would not be the same without their starting QB"s. Come on God, make it happen, please!!
While it is true it wouldnt happen (at least not yet), its a great question.

Getting in, in my view should be based upon achievement...not the best matchups.

While it is true it wouldnt happen (at least not yet), its a great question.

Getting in, in my view should be based upon achievement...not the best matchups.
Yes. Getting in should be based on achievement. Under the system as currently formulated, Georgia got screwed. They are probably better than all 4 teams in the playoff (yeah I know they lost to Bama but they are probably still better, just like the year LSU beat Bama in the SEC championship game but Bama beat them in the National Championship).

Last edited:
Very good point.

If they announced it BEFORE the CFP selection show, maybe. But obviously not now.

FSU beat the 14th ranked team in the country with a 3rd string QB

And yet somehow they get penalized for this.
not to mention beating their end of year rival (I cant seem to recall what conference they are from) on the road with their second string QB....None of this matters as the Karnacs of the committee and Herbstreit types know how bad FSU would be after Rodemaker had an entire month to prepare behind the roster of an undefeated team ...It is so because they think it so.

Reactions: Las Panteras
not to mention beating their end of year rival (I cant seem to recall what conference they are from) on the road with their second string QB....None of this matters as the Karnacs of the committee and Herbstreit types know how bad FSU would be after Rodemaker had an entire month to prepare behind the roster of an undefeated team ...It is so because they think it so.
It's really weird because I keep hearing how valuable FSU is and you would think the CFP would have been drooling at a chance to include such a powerful and beloved program.

I just love all the lamentations here on the Pitt message board for poor old FSU. After all, they've been such a beacon of athletic, academic and institutional integrity over the past 5 decades. And they are so loyal to the ACC they have been exploring ways to get outof it for 15 years. You better betcha they would stand up and come to the aid of their comrades in Pittsburgh if the roles were reversed here, so much mutual respect there.

I for one am really looking forward to watching UGA put their foot on the Noles throats and grind down HARD.

I just love all the lamentations here on the Pitt message board for poor old FSU. After all, they've been such a beacon of athletic, academic and institutional integrity over the past 5 decades. And they are so loyal to the ACC they have been exploring ways to get outof it for 15 years. You better betcha they would stand up and come to the aid of their comrades in Pittsburgh if the roles were reversed here, so much mutual respect there.

I for one am really looking forward to watching UGA put their foot on the Noles throats and grind down HARD.
Nothing to do with the generalized point I was making but do go on.....I do hope you enjoy the Georgia what's left after guys sit out foot stomping of the Florida State's what's left after guys sit out Bowl. So much meaning in that one. That'll show those Seminole bastards !!!!

speaking for myself,

I could give a rats ass about FSU's intentions. Nor do I give a steaming pile of crap whether or not they have been a beacon of integrity for these past 5 decades.

Whether its FSU, PSU,OSU or Bah Fungu......

I believe the final 4 should be based on achievement and not politics or bottom line ramifications.

I always have wondered since Kenny opted out, why is it worth it for the top players to play in the playoffs, the risk is THE SAME, OR EVEN DOUBLE (2 games). What if one of these guys gets their knee destroyed and drops from 1st to 3rd round or something like that and loses million$? What makes playing in the playoff more worth it than any other bowl game from the draft money point of view?

Yes. Getting in should be based on achievement. Under the system as currently formulated, Georgia got screwed. They are probably better than all 4 teams in the playoff (yeah I know they lost to Bama but they are probably still better, just like the year LSU beat Bama in the SEC championship game but Bama beat them in the National Championship).
"Achievement" would mean game results, not eye tests, FSU won every game in a P5 conference, not Georgia. "Better" is not achievement, it's subjective.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
I always have wondered since Kenny opted out, why is it worth it for the top players to play in the playoffs, the risk is THE SAME, OR EVEN DOUBLE (2 games). What if one of these guys gets their knee destroyed and drops from 1st to 3rd round or something like that and loses million$? What makes playing in the playoff more worth it than any other bowl game from the draft money point of view?

Because all the other bowls are exhibition games. The season is over and its 1 more exhibition game so not worth the risk. The CFP are real games and you are playing for a title. Players are willing to take the risk to play in real games, not exhibition games. For the same reason, you dont see NFL stars play much in exhibition games. Not worth the risk.

I think in future years, you will see the network/sponsors throw money at players to make sure they play in playoffs games. It has not happened yet, some kids may opt out in future years unless they get a sizable stipend to play. Also, with the expanded playoffs coming next year, you just know some star is going to get badly hurt sooner or later in one of those games.

"Achievement" would mean game results, not eye tests, FSU won every game in a P5 conference, not Georgia. "Better" is not achievement, it's subjective.
I agree. In my opinion Georgia shouldn't be in, because they haven't earned it. But they are in all likelihood the best team. And the selection committee admitted they were trying to pick the 4 best teams, because that's why they did not pick FSU. So Georgia really got screwed here under that criteria.

Because all the other bowls are exhibition games. The season is over and its 1 more exhibition game so not worth the risk. The CFP are real games and you are playing for a title. Players are willing to take the risk to play in real games, not exhibition games. For the same reason, you dont see NFL stars play much in exhibition games. Not worth the risk.
But the money losing risk due to injury is the same, isn't it?

I agree. In my opinion Georgia shouldn't be in, because they haven't earned it. But they are in all likelihood the best team. And the selection committee admitted they were trying to pick the 4 best teams, because that's why they did not pick FSU. So Georgia really got screwed here under that criteria.
The thing that most people don't get is that champion and best team don't have to be the same, it should depend on game results, if the subjective best team loses, tough luck! They should be OUT! They should pay the price for losing and not get welfare because everyone believes they can beat the other candidates on a neutral field.

Reactions: PITT 76 and latz66
If they announced it BEFORE the CFP selection show, maybe. But obviously not now.
Why not? I mean, the committee is so concerned about putting the four teams that THEY perceive to be the best, is Pennix or Nix were to opt out or get hurt, their two teams would certainly not be as good as they are with them playing.
As I said, it probably would never happen, but what if they decided to do so, two days AFTER the selection committee made their decision? They'd still have more then enough time to get another team ready to play. The entire system is screwed up and as long as you have a committee making selections that ignore on the field results, it will remain that way.

SMF...Just what is a real game to you??? For me, if you play for Team A and Team A decides to play Team B, then you go play the game. That means you prepare to play the game the same way that you did for every other game and then go out there and try to play to the best of your ability during that game, end of story. You should not be allowed to decide to opt out, enter the transfer portal or what ever else you'd like to call it, your teams season is not over, finish it.
I did not like what Kenny Pickett did to his teammates when he decided to sit out the bowl game and I feel the same way about the players who do this now. By the way, before some of you get your panties in an uproar, the same thing applies to the coaches. If you have a signed contract to coach a team and the school agrees to a bowl game (or whatever you want to call the next game), then you finish the job you started. Really is that simple.
By the way SMF, ALL of these bowl games are a joke and that includes the "final four" teams playing in the mythical CFP. Wait until next year when one of the teams that is selected to play in the new playoff format, has a player decide to opt out or sit out the game because they don't feel that it is worth the risk. All hell will break loose and I can't wait for it to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT