ADVERTISEMENT

Logo news

Great posting Dr.

I am pretty sure that Pitt sent out a survey at the start of Steve's second tenure. The takeaway was people wanted later starting times and Steve said he got the message.. but he had little control over that for most games anyway. I'm sure lots of people commented on the Pitt script, and I am certain that Steve completely ignored it.

It is a real shame that Nordenberg and a small contingent of Steve followers believed in his leadership for so long. Some were fooled as students and just continued on in denial. Not sure what Nordy's excuse is.

Pitt has a great school crest. It should be incorporated the way Penn uses theirs - mostly for academic matters. It's all over campus and used for letterhead, etc. The version Pitt used in the 80s is my favorite - very minimalist with clean clear lines.

Something I never see mentioned is the checkerboard in the crest. Lots of branding opportunities with that...maybe just slightly in uniforms or on the field or grassroots efforts by fans, etc...see how it's used by soccer clubs, U of Tennessee, etc.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
I'm not sure I'm a disciple of totally uniform branding, but Pitt definitely seems schizophrenic in its depicting of itself. I just received an email newsletter today with a whole new one, which actually appears to be a solicitation to donate to the transplant donor program ... but it appears to be pushing "UP" in is graphics. Not the seal, not block, not script, not the alumni association thing, not the 225th anniversary logo, etc but something I'd never personally seen on Pitt stuff (to be fair it had a silhouette of the COL on it too). Definitely people seem to be on different pages there, and the book is growing...

I'm just surprised that Pederson didn't introduce script Pittsburgh as one last big F-U to the fans.
Is cursive taught in schools anymore?
Back in the day, I spent many an hour at the board with Sister ______(fill in pre and post Vatican II names here) standing behind me ready to strike.
I loved those women....they were some tough broads.

I don't think anyone ever said it was holding back athletics. We are aware of your love of Nordy and by proxy you must support these stupid decisions of SP as part of that.

I'll flip it on you. How was the script logo holding Pitt back when SP got here? It wasn't. In fact it was very recognizable to the point that our rivals laughed at us for changing it. So it was not that the lack of script was holding us back, but rather that the DinoCat/Sburgh concept was a regression in ALL facets from a marketing and branding position. Also, in a sport like college football where tradition is very much celebrated, the move was even more of head scratcher and dud.

You know football, the sport at Pitt with the most championships and fan following in our history right? Which brings me to my next point which is squarely on Nordy and that is positioning hoops with all the gold and gifts while your highest revenue earner (football) gets the scraps. Smart moves, and thus why the script marks a stark change from gross mismanagement of Pitt athletics.

You mean, the people who bashed those obsessed with the font of a logo as if it was an issue that was actually holding back the athletic department?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7Fielder and rc79
No one ever said it was holding anything back, but nearly every Pitt fan young and old is glad its back. That means not using it was stupid, plain and simple. We should be about giving customers what they want, not the other way around.

You mean, the people who bashed those obsessed with the font of a logo as if it was an issue that was actually holding back the athletic department?

Do you think fans of any other school in similar circumstances would behave differently?

Reactions: 7Fielder
No one ever said it was holding anything back, but nearly every Pitt fan young and old is glad its back. That means not using it was stupid, plain and simple. We should be about giving customers what they want, not the other way around.

Switching the logo in 1997 is a proven mistake, but you clearly weren't having the same conversations that I was with the font obsessed factions over the past 15 years. Logos were never the problem, nor even indicative of the primary issues holding back the athletic department. The things holding back the athletic department was a lack of revenue being generated by football, at the gate, and that is largely due to a lack of success with football coaching hires. Those two things are still issues, but for now, the ACC has put a bandage on the first and the later has yet to play out. And while you can make an argument that improved customer service/responsiveness will enhance revenue to a degree (and there is no doubt it was not where it should have been, if that is what you are going for with "giving the fans what it wants"), no amount of customer service in the sports world can overcome the negative impact that manifests with a lack of winning. And whether that was your point or not to tie it into revenue, it was absolutely the point of many on these boards over the years.

However, as a parallel and also separate issue which is the original point of the post, branding consistency has been a major problem for the university as a whole, as well as the athletic department, but that in itself doesn't significantly impact on-field/court success. And my opinion remains, as with each logo change, make the branding consistent. It is simple marketing. And the script is a great place to start that process over, yet again. So sand down the basketball court and put script on it.

For Doc Yinzer, the graphic designer who did the torch-cut was Peter Moore, who was in charge of the Air Jordon and Nike Air brands at Nikey. Torch-cut was obviously not his best work.

And for Ghost, no amount of regurgitating the same garbage (I'll call it what it is, unsubstantiated falsehoods) about football de-emphasis will change the historical realities of what actually went on the past 15 years. It's garbage the first time you said it, and it remains pure garbage.

Yet proven the moment Gallagher took over and had an opportunity to make an athletic decision (Narduzzi hire). Pat has told a mutual acquaintance that he would never have taken this job with the budget that Paul Chryst had. Point, set, match............

[QUOTE="And for Ghost, no amount of regurgitating the same garbage (I'll call it what it is, unsubstantiated falsehoods) about football de-emphasis will change the historical realities of what actually went on the past 15 years. It's garbage the first time you said it, and it remains pure garbage.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I'm a disciple of totally uniform branding, but Pitt definitely seems schizophrenic in its depicting of itself. I just received an email newsletter today with a whole new one, which actually appears to be a solicitation to donate to the transplant donor program ... but it appears to be pushing "UP" in is graphics. Not the seal, not block, not script, not the alumni association thing, not the 225th anniversary logo, etc but something I'd never personally seen on Pitt stuff (to be fair it had a silhouette of the COL on it too). Definitely people seem to be on different pages there, and the book is growing...

I think to be fair, was just the Athletic Department just trending water until Scott Barnes takes over and decides what direction he wants to implement with Chancellor Gallagher & Coaches & Insiders want to do, plan or come up with for the future.

After all, Mr. Barnes just took over yesterday!

I don't think anyone ever said it was holding back athletics. We are aware of your love of Nordy and by proxy you must support these stupid decisions of SP as part of that. I'll flip it on you. How was the script logo holding Pitt back when SP got here? It wasn't. In fact it was very recognizable to the point that our rivals laughed at us for changing it. So it was not that the lack of script was holding us back, but rather that the DinoCat/Sburgh concept was a regression in ALL facets from a marketing and branding position. Also, in a sport like college football where tradition is very much celebrated, the move was even more of head scratcher and dud. You know football, the sport at Pitt with the most championships and fan following in our history right? Which brings me to my next point which is squarely on Nordy and that is positioning hoops with all the gold and gifts while your highest revenue earner (football) gets the scraps. Smart moves, and thus why the script marks a stark change from gross mismanagement of Pitt athletics.

GhostOfPITT40, well said, CP needs to admit Nordy made a few mistakes too, and quit blaming fans and posters! Love his post and respect his knowledge, but his blame game goes right back to himself when he attempts to blame others!

I'm certainly not of the belief that Pitt lost because of its logos or even because of its poor public relations. I just believe that the athletic department's struggles in those two areas is likely indicative of the department's overall mentality and incompetence.

How many schools have a logo that almost all of the fans agree is THE logo? How many schools regularly make the list of great classic uniforms? How many schools would have both of those things and still deny their fans a return to them because...uh...just because?

If you are going to be that stubborn and recalcitrant on a no-brainer like the script Pitt logo, how poorly are you going to handle the tougher, less public items?

I'm sorry but I think Steve Pederson did a HORRENDOUS job here. That doesn't mean I hate the guy or even wish him ill. However, I definitely believe that he took a small fickle fan base and fractured it right down the middle trying to show that his authority trumped our history.

Switching the logo in 1997 is a proven mistake, but you clearly weren't having the same conversations that I was with the font obsessed factions over the past 15 years. Logos were never the problem, nor even indicative of the primary issues holding back the athletic department.
No one suggested the Logos were a problem, all fans accepted the changes even with doubts, accepted the Stadium move that "Cas" stopped when he was here. Now we knew back when 1997, the Script to PITTSBURGH, the Pepper, etc etc was a dumb move but everyone was just happy Pitt was rebuilding and Pederson was a big part and deserves credit with no reservations from me saying otherwise. Nordenberg did a terrific job as well. Pitt Football Program went back being a Top 40 to 50 Program, on shoestring budgets. Plus, it took Walt Harris to finally come to Pitt after being the 4th choice, if I recall, and that was a testament to Pederson too, as far as I am concern. Did it upset some Former Players Alumni, Golden Panthers, and others, sure, but that is what change is all about.

The things holding back the athletic department was a lack of revenue being generated by football, at the gate, and that is largely due to a lack of success with football coaching hires.
Agree, but Pitt was a tough hire to be fair to Pederson in 1997, and Steve did great in FB & BB. It was Pederson return that was the mistake and his hires and fires at Nebraska and Pitt were a big problem after his return, as you say!

Those two things are still issues, but for now, the ACC has put a bandage on the first and the later has yet to play out. And while you can make an argument that improved customer service/responsiveness will enhance revenue to a degree (and there is no doubt it was not where it should have been, if that is what you are going for with "giving the fans what it wants"), no amount of customer service in the sports world can overcome the negative impact that manifests with a lack of winning. And whether that was your point or not to tie it into revenue, it was absolutely the point of many on these boards over the years.
So, true, TCU Patterson and Baylor Briles have turned annual losers and nobodies to winning big by great President's Visions, Coach selections, and Branding. Pederson after 2002 lacked those abilities at NU & Pitt!

However, as a parallel and also separate issue which is the original point of the post, branding consistency has been a major problem for the university as a whole, as well as the athletic department, but that in itself doesn't significantly impact on-field/court success. And my opinion remains, as with each logo change, make the branding consistent. It is simple marketing. And the script is a great place to start that process over, yet again. So sand down the basketball court and put script on it.
Excellent comment and reasoning and few to none can disagree with such logic and need for Branding!

For Doc Yinzer, the graphic designer who did the torch-cut was Peter Moore, who was in charge of the Air Jordon and Nike Air brands at Nikey. Torch-cut was obviously not his best work. And for Ghost, no amount of regurgitating the same garbage (I'll call it what it is, unsubstantiated falsehoods) about football de-emphasis will change the historical realities of what actually went on the past 15 years. It's garbage the first time you said it, and it remains pure garbage.
I do not see it as garbage, I see it has Pederson failure to perform upon his return and Nordy made the mistake of bringing him back, as well as, allowing him to stay after Wannstedt was fired when both should have gone, and giving him millions for Buyouts of himself and Coaches Pederson's mistake picking, and when you posted how much a few weeks ago, how much in the red Pitt Athletics is in, when Pederson got some and caused those millions is not any fans or posters fault?

I can back up the Garbage Truck and the only thing to put in it now is the PITTSBURGH LOGO, DINOCAT, and Other PEDERSON's PROFESSIONAL BRANDING FAILURES at PITT & Nebraska!

Last edited:
I'm certainly not of the belief that Pitt lost because of its logos or even because of its poor public relations. I just believe that the athletic department's struggles in those two areas is likely indicative of the department's overall mentality and incompetence.

How many schools have a logo that almost all of the fans agree is THE logo? How many schools regularly make the list of great classic uniforms? How many schools would have both of those things and still deny their fans a return to them because...uh...just because?

If you are going to be that stubborn and recalcitrant on a no-brainer like the script Pitt logo, how poorly are you going to handle the tougher, less public items?

I'm sorry but I think Steve Pederson did a HORRENDOUS job here. That doesn't mean I hate the guy or even wish him ill. However, I definitely believe that he took a small fickle fan base and fractured it right down the middle trying to show that his authority trumped our history.

FACTS ON PEDERSON AT NU AND PITT & NO BLAME ON FANS:
"""""I'm sorry but I think Steve Pederson did a HORRENDOUS job here. That doesn't mean I hate the guy or even wish him ill. However, I definitely believe that he took a small fickle fan base and fractured it right down the middle trying to show that his authority trumped our history.""""

I should also say that switching back to the script isn't magically going to fix all of our problems, and I dont think anyone is saying that.

Of course, if you want to talk about dumb, thinking that you can rebrand Pitt to Pittsburgh just because you said so takes the cake.

I should also say that switching back to the script isn't magically going to fix all of our problems, and I dont think anyone is saying that. Of course, if you want to talk about dumb, thinking that you can rebrand Pitt to Pittsburgh just because you said so takes the cake.

I think that has always been a non-issue made up by some Pederson Defenders that could not help from looking stupid on how Pederson behaved at Pitt and NU, so they lashed put some Posters. Once Pederson made similar mistakes at Nebraska and ruined their Top Ten Program and is hated there today if you ever post what they think of him on Husker's Board, it pretty much sums up the futility of his same actions at Pitt.

I can be fair and credit Pederson on what he did a very good job at and have been, but in the end, he did himself in and only has himself to blame because he could not admit his mistakes or make changes that would mellow out his horrible marketing and finally has been exiled into Non-Athletic Arena where he can roam with a few million Nordy gave him from Pitt when that kind of money should have stayed at Pitt on how badly Pederson performed upon to Pitt!

Blaming fans or posters for Pederson's putz decisions by a few that can't defend him is what I see was only a few Posters problems because they ran out of anything that could defend him. Dave Wannstedt was not always right for everything Pitt, but he was right on about Pederson, and Pederson proved it, not Wannstedt!

Pitt is better off without Pederson and it was time for Nordenberg to retire and Gallagher did make the right moves so far and Dr. Juhl deserves as much credit as anyone. But it was easy to correct the small mistakes Pederson made, and wonders why he couldn't do it on his own?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7Fielder
Oh it was definitely indicative of the problem. Getting the logo right is easy but not only did he screw it up royally, he denied it was a screw up. FSU announced they were fixing their new beige and magenta uniforms last year AFTER ONE GAME in response to fan outrage. Meanwhile Pederson's denial grew to bratty defiance. And if anything defines Steve Pederson, it's bratty defiance.

He refused to even sell throwback apparel despite obvious demand for it. That is a fireable offense. Long greenlit it after the head buyer tried to get Pederson to greenlight script gear for years. Pitt desperately needed that money but he was more concerned about sticking it to the people who mocked his stupid rebranding idea.

This is the guy who actually removed the plaques of Nebraska's greats from the facility lol and then got fired from his own alma mater after destroying the football program and becoming Public Enemy #1 to the media and fans.

And Pitt rehired him. Fkn amazing.

That YouTube montage of his returning press conference is gold. The look on Wannstedt's face kills me.

Reactions: 7Fielder and rc79
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT