ADVERTISEMENT

New AD

To a degree the problems both of these ADs experienced resulted from the incompetent chancellor to whom they both reported and who did his best to strangle Pitt sports. It takes more than an a competent AD. It Aldo takes an administration that supports athletics
It takes alums to stop complaining and start donating.

Kind of a ridiculous question since he's been very successful in that position so I think they hired the right person into the AD job!! The AD was his boss for years so smart people learn their bosses job. You've never been promoted into your bosses job???? I have about 6 times. You've never been moved into a job with a larger scope than your present job?? That's what Barry did!
Plus:
He was a winner, had a huge fanbase/booster following,great reputation at Wisconsin, was involved for many years and understood what it takes to run a winning major University D1 sports program.
How does any of what Alvarez accomplished compare to the lightweight that PITT just hired????

Right! Alvarez had ZERO experience in being an AD, yet he has been successful. Thanks for making my point!

Now I put another snowflake on ignore....

Reactions: CorsosRevenge
I have no idea. I've had that poster on ignore for a long time. I'm probably not seeing 1/2 the posts in this thread, which is the only way this board is at all tolerable and not a completely depressing reflection of the fan base.

The more I've learned about Lyke, the more I like this hire. I have no idea if it will work out. It is a very tough P5 job. Ultimately, she'll be judged by success of the teams meaning the success of her hires. You need a lot of luck with hires, particularly your prominent ones. Hires working out are never guaranteed even if they are great on paper. The biggest thing she needs to do is to put Pitt is a position of retaining the ones that do work out.

You are just missing a lot of crying. After this and the pitt ooc crying he is going on ignore soon.

Amen to your post though.

Google heather lyke press conference eastern michigan YouTube. Then tell me if notice anything that is very similar to today's press conference.

"Last September, Eastern Michigan received the Excellence in Management Cup presented by Texas A&M's Laboratory for the Study of Intercollegiate Athletics. The "EM Cup" annually recognizes the athletic department that best maximizes fiscal resources through championship victories. EMU ranked No. 1 out of 128 Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) schools for 2015-16."

That alone is a huge reason for Pitt to hire her. That is EXACTLY the type of management that Pitt needs.

http://lsia.tamu.edu/projects/the-excellence-in-management-cup
The previous winners of that same award have been:
14/15-U of Idaho
13/14-U of Co
12/13-Kent St
11/10- Akron
10/09- Kent St
08/09- Utah St

It's a bit odd that most of the top programs except U of Co haven't won this award!
It seems to be small U centric for some reason. Probably because its easier to manage and improve the smaller numbers of lower level programs

Last edited:
Reactions: Jpripper88
"Last September, Eastern Michigan received the Excellence in Management Cup presented by Texas A&M's Laboratory for the Study of Intercollegiate Athletics. The "EM Cup" annually recognizes the athletic department that best maximizes fiscal resources through championship victories. EMU ranked No. 1 out of 128 Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) schools for 2015-16."

That alone is a huge reason for Pitt to hire her. That is EXACTLY the type of management that Pitt needs.

http://lsia.tamu.edu/projects/the-excellence-in-management-cup

Interesting. I wonder what the EMU students who ran up an extra 900 in debt per year or 3600 during their college years to support her athletic programs think of that.

Google heather lyke press conference eastern michigan YouTube. Then tell me if notice anything that is very similar to today's press conference.

Oh, her speech seemed very canned. I'm sure very little wasn't recycled.

It really says something about someone's sincerity when they address individuals and claimed to have learned essentially the same things from talking to them at different schools years apart.

Interesting. I wonder what the EMU students who ran up an extra 900 in debt per year or 3600 during their college years to support her athletic programs think of that.

You keep wondering that, but I never see you wondering at all about the $400 - $500 per year in extra debt that the typical Pitt undergraduate ends up with for the exact same reason.

Why is that, I wonder?

You keep wondering that, but I never see you wondering at all about the $400 - $500 per year in extra debt that the typical Pitt undergraduate ends up with for the exact same reason.

Why is that, I wonder?

Probably because we are discussing a new hire that doesn't work at Pitt currently and because we are discussing the ability of the new hire to raise funds to alleviate that burden on our students.

It sure doesn't look promising.

Probably because we are discussing a new hire that doesn't work at Pitt currently and because we are discussing the ability of the new hire to raise funds to alleviate that burden on our students.

So in other words, if you think it helps to make your point it's OK to discuss, but anything that attempts to put things into a context that you obviously don't like is irrelevant.

What sure doesn't look promising is the thinking skills of a lot of message board posters. Imagine that.

So in other words, if you think it helps to make your point it's OK to discuss, but anything that attempts to put things into a context that you obviously don't like is irrelevant.

What sure doesn't look promising is the thinking skills of a lot of message board posters. Imagine that.

I don't know how you got that from what I posted, but ok.

I don't know how you got that from what I posted, but ok.

If how much the athletic department is subsidize by the University is a relevant topic then why is putting that information into context somehow off limits? I mean I can understand why someone who just wants to throw bombs out there doesn't want anyone putting things into perspective, but why should the rest of us settle for such lax reasoning?

If how much the athletic department is subsidize by the University is a relevant topic then why is putting that information into context somehow off limits? I mean I can understand why someone who just wants to throw bombs out there doesn't want anyone putting things into perspective, but why should the rest of us settle for such lax reasoning?

You can post whatever you want. When did I say you couldn't or that any facts were off limits? I smell a straw man.

I appreciate your attempt to make this about me and not about the new AD but I am not interested in that.

You can post whatever you want. When did I say you couldn't or that any facts were off limits? I smell a straw man.

I appreciate your attempt to make this about me and not about the new AD but I am not interested in that.

No, we clearly see what you are interested in. Putting out facts with no context, and then using those facts to try to make a point. And then when someone tries to put those facts into some sort of context you want to ignore that, because it doesn't fit the agenda that you launched approximately three seconds after you found out who Pitt was going to hire.

I mean you get how ironic it is that someone who thinks that the context of information is of no use trying to argue a logical fallacy against the person who tried to put the information into context, don't you? Nah, I didn't think so.

Pitt is the equivalent of BC, GT, Vandy, etc. AD's talk to each other and realize how difficult this job is.
I don't agree with this at all.

Pitt's history in athletics is far superior to the schools you mentioned. Heck, BC gets 20,000 fans on a good day in their stadium. If that is what your basing this post on.

I will bet Pitt sells waaaaaay more season tickets than the schools you mentioned.

As far as historical success on the football field. Those schools can't hold Pitt's jock strap

I don't agree with this at all.

Pitt's history in athletics is far superior to the schools you mentioned. Heck, BC gets 20,000 fans on a good day in their stadium. If that is what your basing this post on.

I will bet Pitt sells waaaaaay more season tickets than the schools you mentioned.

As far as historical success on the football field. Those schools can't hold Pitt's jock strap
Nobody cares about the 80s anymore. Once your generation dies off, nobody will remember it. Not trying to be mean, just stating a fact.

Nobody cares about the 80s anymore. Once your generation dies off, nobody will remember it. Not trying to be mean, just stating a fact.
So ND's tradition doesn't matter, Penn st's tradition doesn't matter or Michigan's. All 3 of those programs are hanging their hat on their history. None has won anything over the last 20 years. Yet, Pitt cannot hang their hat on their past.

Seems like a double standard to me

So ND's tradition doesn't matter, Penn st's tradition doesn't matter or Michigan's. All 3 of those programs are hanging their hat on their history. None has won anything over the last 20 years. Yet, Pitt cannot hang their hat on their past.

Seems like a double standard to me
They haven't sucked for 30+ years. I mean, the Roman Empire was great once too, who talks about them now?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT