ADVERTISEMENT

New Poll: Should Pitt Play WVU In Football Every Year?

Vote Should PITT Play WVU In Football?

• Yes, BackYard Brawl Rules

Votes: 111 42.7%
  • WVU Who? No Way!

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • If 2 Games At PITT & 1 At WVU!

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Only If Penn State Plays Pitt Too!

Votes: 32 12.3%
  • WVU Must Buy Another PITT Game Ticket!

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Only WVU Women Allow To Come To Pitt Home Game?

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
Well, should Pitt play WVU every year or choose another option?
images

I did, look many of you know that I am a PSU fan but can not root against Pitt due to the amount of WPIAL kids on the team and me growing up on the Mon River. In saying that when I was a kid the Pitt, PSU, WVU games were awesome and to me it did not matter who won more or lost more whatever they were games that got both fan bases going. To me those games were the closest things to what the SEC has now

And it should be the Friday after Thanksgiving, it was a great part of the holiday weekend for awhile there.

The 2008 Brawl was on ESPN Classic yesterday. Great atmosphere at Heinz Field that day.

Reactions: Pitt0912
I did, look many of you know that I am a PSU fan but can not root against Pitt due to the amount of WPIAL kids on the team and me growing up on the Mon River. In saying that when I was a kid the Pitt, PSU, WVU games were awesome and to me it did not matter who won more or lost more whatever they were games that got both fan bases going. To me those games were the closest things to what the SEC has now

Welcome SammyK, and totally agree, PITT-PENN STATE and PITT-WVU better together and PITT-ND too!

I prefer playing all 3 in All Sports too!

I enjoy watching all the Banter, Catcalls, and Friendly Competition while respecting all Fans, Alumni, Players, Coaches, and Teams.

One of the best relationships I ever had was with a Penn State Women that was a Buyer for Wanamaker's department store in Philadelphia and we went to Penn State Games. We went to game at Penn State and sat with the President's Section by an Invitation from a Lawmaker.

However, my girl used to love to party and someone kept giving her a flask to swig and when the kept cheering, We ARE, she started yelling it and the President from the other school kept looking at me. Finally, I just shrugged and told him, she just loves Penn State!

Well, it got more embarrassing the more she was drinking and soon by the time, the game was over, she was passing out. So, I knew to wait in our seats until our section cleared out and most of the stadium. I had to carry her back to our car but I gave up after seeing the car was too far, so I put her down, next to a car in a small parking lot as she just lay up against the tire, with her head down and legs and arms spread out.

I am just going to run to the car and comeback to pick her up. When all of sudden who comes walking by, but a guy in a Dark Blue Coat with his hands in his pocket about 6 feet from us.

I looked at him, he looked at me, and I said out of panic, “Great Game Coach" and He said, Thank You”! I then said,” How Are You Doing Coach?” He looked at her lying there, and then looked back at me, and said, “A Little Better Than You Right Now!”

I stood there for a few more seconds trying to come up with a response, he was now 20 feet away, and I yelled out, Hey Coach, What About the Pitt Game?" He just answered back; I am Worried about Boston College First!

Again, I just stood there dumbfounded and upset I was not ready for the conversation I often thought of if I ever met him, and yes, it was Joe Paterno and he got the better of me that day with his quiet but accurate response! Joe was walking back home from the game.

I got to meet him a few times later, at the Allegheny Club in Three Rivers before the Pitt Game. The National Title 1982 Banquet at the Hilton in Pittsburgh, with my Penn State friends. Once in New Orleans when Bush was nominated at the Republican Convention and again in Hershey when his son ran for congress. And one last time at Altoona Curve Stadium Suite where a Penn State Counsel often let him use the Private Suite to watch Pirate Farm Game.

Did not bother him much since I respected his privacy, but when we did talk, I mentioned that game and he did remember what he saw a number years earlier and the Penn State Banquet. Hard to dislike in person even though he beat Pitt often.

Many good friends that went to PSU & WVU too, and I'll take the insults with the congratulations and can ignore those that lose it sometimes, over petty issues that is beneath all 3 Programs!

I believe we can all get along and understand all should defend their schools on their Boards, but can still respect others on their Boards.

images

Reactions: mchartline
I'd rather have all rather than none, but prefer not every year anymore.
I think they will though as I don't see psu committing alot further to it.

Did you feel icky meeting that disgusting excuse for a human being. If I had met him, I would immediately take a shower....oh wait, maybe not.

Im for the game, just not every year. From a recruiting and alumni level, WV just doesnt offer much in those areas whereas for WVU it gives them some additional visibility in the PA market that moving to the Big12 somewhat made an issue (even though they have traditionally went more to the South recruiting wise as well).

Speaking as a WVU fan, I'm not interested in helping fill Heinz Field. Besides, we play big boy football now.

Well, so far Pitt has not granted any of WVU's request to play them again, and the big boys are killing your travel but good luck with your desires, Pitt has fulfilled them, by refusing to schedule you anyway!

Did you feel icky meeting that disgusting excuse for a human being. If I had met him, I would immediately take a shower....oh wait, maybe not.

I still recognize he was a great coach that made a serious omission when he did not do more as he once said. I can separate the good from the bad in all human being, since I myself have flaws too. Some Penn State Fans think JoePA is unforgettable, and some Pitt & Other Fans think what Paterno did was unforgivable, my views lie in between and it is my belief Joe got very confused on what to do, in handling back in 1998 on what many know what to do today. Still, by 2001 something should have been done, and why his legacy will never be as great as many Penn State Fans think in disbelief, and Pitt and Others Fans believe it is tainted and well deserved! All I know he treated me with respect and I him in return!

I still recognize he was a great coach that made a serious omission when he did not do more as he once said. I can separate the good from the bad in all human being, since I myself have flaws too. Some Penn State Fans think JoePA is unforgettable, and some Pitt & Other Fans think what Paterno did was unforgivable, my views lie in between and it is my belief Joe got very confused on what to do, in handling back in 1998 on what many know what to do today. Still, by 2001 something should have been done, and why his legacy will never be as great as many Penn State Fans think in disbelief, and Pitt and Others Fans believe it is tainted and well deserved! All I know he treated me with respect and I him in return!
He remained an honorary board member of Second Mile to the day he died. Think about that, the most revered and powerful person in the community gives his imprimatur to an organization that he at some point knew was being used as a pedophile's hunting preserve. That tells me all I need to know about his level of hypocrisy.

I'm all for its resumption on the condition that WVU commits to making their home games safer for visiting fans. I have little ones and I want to be able to take them to a game that is less than an hour and a half away without having to worry for their safety.

Asked about new West Virginia AD Bill Lyons' recent comments about wanting to renew the Backyard Brawl series, new Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi -- who was celebrating his 48th birthday on his first ACC teleconference -- said he grew up with the rivalry and wants to embrace future and past ones, but said ultimately it will be the new Panthers AD's call.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Yea you might be right but let's just play a little game here this would be my dream conference

Penn State
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
UCONN
Boston College
Rutgers
Army

Notre Dame
West Virginia
Maryland
Navy
Cincinnati
Central Florida
South Florida

Good football, good basketball, great wrestling, and a regional conference.

Yea you might be right but let's just play a little game here this would be my dream conference

Penn State
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Syracuse
UConn
Boston College
Rutgers
Virginia
Virginia Tech

Notre Dame
Maryland
Navy
Army
Cincinnati
Louisville
Temple
Vanderbilt
UTenn

Good football, good basketball, great wrestling, and a regional conference. Good TV Markets, Recruiting, and Traditions! Nine Teams Per Division & Perfect Scheduling of 8 Games, and 1 More from Other Division plus 3 OOC!

Hey Sage, I assume the cockroaches can vote in our poll? Which explains the close vote ...lol.

Absolutely not. Yearly with PSU. ND as much as possible. Fit in another BCS player whenever we don't play ND. I'd rather that never be WVU, but if it is every once in a while? Ok.

Until the hoopies can act like semi adults I want nothing to do with them. They can rot in the
B12

I wouldn't call a winning record in FB and BB last year rotting. While the FB team has not met our expectations I believe the team will improve next year, however the away schedule next year is brutal; TCU, Baylor and OK away. I digress to the topic offered:
The brawl should be played and Pitt fans should be made to feel safe. Living in western PA now and being from WV I understand why WVians get mad at Pitt fans with all if the incest, farm animal, running water, teeth jokes. However the student body at WVU has a higher percentage of out of state students than instate. Why they may act out more aggressively towards Pitt fans maybe a product of "expectations" or how they are treated by Pitt fans, the aggressive behavior should still not happen. Most Big12 blogs/writings have described their trip to Morgantown as pleasant even after a WVU loss.

Last edited:
I would like to play WVU--but certainly not every year. Playing PSU annually is way more important to me. However with Pitt, PSU & WVU being in three separate conferences--and given conference schedules we cannot play both PSU & WVU every year.

I would be fine with playing WVU but not more often than once every other year. I do want PSU every year. it probably cannot happen but I would want PSU to be our Thanksgiving weekend game.

Totally agree. ...and you can agree to not insult me with comments about incest in front of my kids. Deal?

Of course. That's reprehensible too and I would not condone that BS. It's just that I've seen with my own two eyes the behavior of each and it's no contest - at least based on my experiences.

No - Let it go and move on. The backyard Brawl is now appropriately between Marshall and Pitt.
I agree. And to make it interesting, declare that the loser of that game has to go to Morgantown to play the Hoopies the next year. That should be sufficient motivation to provide for an exciting contest.

No - Let it go and move on. The backyard Brawl is now appropriately between Marshall and Pitt.
Well, since you quoted one of my post I shall retort? WVU & PITT should play every year and it is good for both Programs and College Football.

WVU not wanting to play Marshall is WVU's Brain Pain and PITT not playing WVU is PITT's Brain Pain, but pains goes both ways, and WVU's has the greater pain traveling elsewhere when PITT is closer than Marshall?

In any event, I am correct when WVU needs and wants the Brawl Back and PITT could use it too to fill seats, and WVU has no downside in playing Marshall!

Reactions: 7Fielder
Well, since you quoted one of my post I shall retort? WVU & PITT should play every year and it is good for both Programs and College Football.

WVU not wanting to play Marshall is WVU's Brain Pain and PITT not playing WVU is PITT's Brain Pain, but pains goes both ways, and WVU's has the greater pain traveling elsewhere when PITT is closer than Marshall?

In any event, I am correct when WVU needs and wants the Brawl Back and PITT could use it too to fill seats, and WVU has no downside in playing Marshall!

I'm not exactly sure what you said there? But I think I agree with you...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT