ADVERTISEMENT

Nick James commits

Haha. I clicked on this post to make a rick james Dave Chapelle joke and you beat me to it.

Dude had an unreal offer sheet coming out of HS! This is a good get man.
He did have a very impressive offer list, but didn't see much action on a mediocre to poor Indiana squad. I'll reserve calling him a "good get" til I see him perform. Not much production to match his snap count.

From PSN:

"He didn’t see the field a whole lot during his two seasons at Indiana, playing just 192 defensive snaps over the last two seasons, but he’s shown flashes during that time.

In 140 snaps in 2023, he racked up four tackles (two solo), a sack and a pass breakup. According to PFF, he recorded three pressures, two hurries and batted a pass at the line of scrimmage. He also recorded six tackles against the run, with two run stuffs — not missing any of his tackle attempts".

He did have a very impressive offer list, but didn't see much action on a mediocre to poor Indiana squad. I'll reserve calling him a "good get" til I see him perform. Not much production to match his snap count.

From PSN:

"He didn’t see the field a whole lot during his two seasons at Indiana, playing just 192 defensive snaps over the last two seasons, but he’s shown flashes during that time.

In 140 snaps in 2023, he racked up four tackles (two solo), a sack and a pass breakup. According to PFF, he recorded three pressures, two hurries and batted a pass at the line of scrimmage. He also recorded six tackles against the run, with two run stuffs — not missing any of his tackle attempts".
No one blames you.

Reactions: WillyDavis33

From PSN:

Sean FitzSimmons did not get much run this year on a bad Pitt team and I personally am still pretty bullish on him. FitzSimmons was hurt (which you would not know unless you closely followed Pitt) and sat behind four 5-6 year players when healthy.

You can be a really good player waiting for a shot on a bad team. Pitt evidently knows this kid from his recruiting process and they identified him pretty quick as a guy that they want. I think this one merits some patience and even if not they need the body anyway given their depth chart.

Sean FitzSimmons did not get much run this year on a bad Pitt team and I personally am still pretty bullish on him. FitzSimmons was hurt (which you would not know unless you closely followed Pitt) and sat behind four 5-6 year players when healthy.

You can be a really good player waiting for a shot on a bad team. Pitt evidently knows this kid from his recruiting process and they identified him pretty quick as a guy that they want. I think this one merits some patience and even if not they need the body anyway given their depth chart.
Absolutely. I just have a wait and see posture when it comes to any transfer. No doubt they needed to bulk up the bodies on the DL and the portal can certainly help with that.

I like Fitz too and feel he can be an effective tackle when healthy. He looked promising as a true freshman.

Reactions: TheChair
citing a high school ranking or offer list in the transfer portal isn’t saying much.

You’re no longer a lottery ticket. You’ve already been scratched.

Yeah, I'm much higher on the dude from Kansas State who sounded like he probably didn't fit what they were doing (a la Devonshire).

There isn't as much of an excuse for an interior d-linemen who didn't make an impact at Indiana. It would kind of be like calling Nahki Johnson or Elliot Donald a big get at this point.

I'm a little more hopeful with this guy being a year younger, but...

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Yeah, I'm much higher on the dude from Kansas State who sounded like he probably didn't fit what they were doing (a la Devonshire).

There isn't as much of an excuse for an interior d-linemen who didn't make an impact at Indiana. It would kind of be like calling Nahki Johnson or Elliot Donald a big get at this point.

I'm a little more hopeful with this guy being a year younger, but...

In the end, there aren’t really big gets in the portal unless it’s Cam Ward or Walter Nolan or somebody like that.

Most everything you point to as to why a kid was unheralded out of high school:

Huge growth spurt as a senior
Didn’t concentrate on football
Didn’t do 7 on 7
Didn’t play the position he went on to play in college
Was very raw with no craft

Those things have largely played out in college. You’ve hit that growth spurt or you haven’t. Concentrating just on football made a difference or it didn’t.

But these aren’t diamonds. You probably are what you are at this point. That’s why a 5* recruit like McCord is going to Syracuse to get paid, instead of some Tier 1 school. Tier 1s aren’t going to pay him, because the college career has largely played out. So the ticket has been scratched.

Your statistical probability of being something else is so much lower, you can’t be a “big get” within any meaningful use of the phrase.

His HC at Indiana who recruited him there got fired. Likely one of the reasons he ended up in the portal.

I think the hope is he will be effective in Pitt's scheme. I know IU ran a 4-2-5, but I don't know all the nuances or differences in DL play in that vs. what Pitt runs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT