ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma President Says Big 12 Should Look Toward Expanding, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
I said a number of times and I am going to say it again, Oklahoma today reminds me much as Miami did way back in the late 1990s, when it kept asking the Big East to consider expanding and Tragehese kept ignoring them because he was a Basketball commissioner first more than Football.

Once again, Oklahoma is not happy in the Big-12 the way it is, and looks like Texas does not care that much how the Sooners or any other University is either. Texas is the biggest and richest Football Program in all of the Power Conferences and can call their own destiny even if it would mean going Independent, although I do not think that would ever happen.

I do know that ACC Swofford has stated publicly the only 2 Universities with Open Invitations to join the ACC in Football & All Sports is Notre Dame & Texas and both have separate Network Deals! The ACC would be perfect for it offers the Best Academics and Texas could come in due to the closeness it has with the Notre Dame Athletic Director & President. Adding Texas Footprint, Recruiting, Money & Attendance with Notre Dame and that would be a big coup for the ACC. It would help solve the ACC Network delays too, and incorporate both Long Horn Network & NBC Network into a ACCN composite and I wouldn't care if it ends up in New York, Charlotte, Dallas, or Chicago?

Yet, going back to Oklahoma, they are not happy sitting at 10 Programs just like Miami w snot at 8, and they keep talking, and no one seems to be listening......Except for some Echoes from out west where the PAC-12 would love to get into a Central Time Zone to add to the PAC-12 Viewership of PAC-12 Games on the PAC-12 Network as well as add some more Cable Subscribers especially in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, and maybe Iowa or Kansas, but not West Virginia????

The PAC-12 could easily make the move to 14 or 16 Teams from 12 right now! The Pac-12 might just have Oklahoma at Hello, along with Baylor or Texas Tech, or KSU or Iowa State even if Texas balks at Expansion? Or Texas may say, we are going West too? After Colorado and Utah ain't that far the Big-12 Heartland?

At the same time, the other UNC Graduate Fox in Big Ten Delany has stated maybe Nebraska needs some help in playing Games near to them just like they added Rutgers and Maryland for Penn State isolation? Talk of Kansas has come up, they like that KU Basketball and Kansas & Oklahoma State or TCU Football would just be more Food Fodder for Nebraska and Wisconsin, just like Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers is for Ohio State and Michigan!

Meanwhile, SEC came to the Big-12 twice and just won't stand by and may make a move sooner at the Sooner's and force some moves upon others just like A&M did to Missouri, that kept waiting for a Big Ten Invite that never came??? By the way, Texas is on record just this past month saying it is booked up for years before even thinking about resuming the A&M Rivalry, now who does that sound like, Hookwinking Franklin from Creepy Valley???

The SEC Commissioner is on record that SEC can grab almost any team they want when they want to do it? (Swofford you listening UNC's Boy? Or you better be working on that ACC Network since the SEC Network is already in Charlotte a Non-SEC State?, Get That Son & Your UNC Alumnus Friend selling back those ACC rights you gave them? Or Notre Dame will have to pray to Mother Mary in the Grotto to save the ACC?) Unless those Mormons at BYU have more clout than the Angel Moroni for BYU to get into the Big-12 and maybe UCincy, Memphis, or Houston or USF, since not much left?

Well, in any case should Oklahoma make a move first and the Big-12 dissolves like the Big Eight & South West Conference did in the 1980s-90s. The Dude whom we all remember will be mighty upset if wild and wonderful WVU ends up in a conference with AAC and not the ACC? BOO!!! Dude, The Sooner's may be on the move for another Oklahoma Land Rush Run???

TWITS & SPATS WITH LINK TO THINK:
http://westvirginia.forums.rivals.c...ys-big-12-should-look-toward-expanding.24732/

OU President David Boren: Big 12 "should strive for" 12-team league

I don't think there's any argument about that.... It's a matter of "who", "how" and "at what cost" (dilution issue).

It would appear more and more important conference people are starting to take sides on this topic. That's not a bad thing if they're all willing to work together and focus on what is going to be benefit the conference and not only individual schools.

Last edited:
NC State is headed to the SEC in the next round of expansion. A far more realistic and sensible pick than Oklahoma

They (NC ST) will be replaced with either UCONN or WVU.

I hope its WVU

I'd love an nc st for wvu swap. Tough to pull a team from the ACC, GOR is a big deal, gonna need a lot of smart lawyers to find a loophole in tha . Big 12 adds 2 schools, they better find someone who can bring 60+ million a year in order for existing schools to not take pay cut. You think BYU and Boise st can bring that? Cincy and UCF? They missed their chance. Big 12 is not the hunter, sec, PAC 10 and big 10 can hunt, acc and big 12 are either prey or picking up non P5 scrap .

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
NC State is headed to the SEC in the next round of expansion. A far more realistic and sensible pick than Oklahoma They (NC ST) will be replaced with either UCONN or WVU. I hope its WVU
:confused:Interesting, I still think 4 Power Conferences will happen of 16 to 18 to 20 Teams in a For Profit League to solve many of the issues the Conferences and NCAA will be facing in Court, Compensation, and Scholarship Challenges!:rolleyes:

The Big XII should have also accepted Louisville and Cincinnati when it took West Virginia. That would have legitimately expanded their footprint/reach in a way that adding WVU alone has not.

I think, like everyone else, they failed to anticipate the Big 10's decision to go after Maryland and/or the Terrapins' decision to accept that offer.

Also, I think Chuck Neinas and Texas intentionally misled the B12 presidents a little bit.

It is amazing how much people have forgotten in such a short period of time but if you'll recall, the scuttlebutt coming out of the Great Plains was that they were going to go after Florida State and Clemson and in doing so they were going to make everyone wealthy beyond their wildest dreams.

A lot of people fell for that.

There were even major voices at both Florida State and Clemson who were openly discussing a move.

...that is until people started to do the actual math and realized that the numbers were not only grossly inflated, they were flat out made up.

I think the B12 folks started to believe their own bluster. I also think they just assumed that Louisville would still be there if/when they needed to go to 12 teams.

I am sure the thinking went that if the ACC ever needed to backfill, they would look to Storrs first. Louisville is not a very good school and does not really fit the ACC profile. However, desperate times call for desperate measures and when Maryland left, the ACC needed a quality football program and rightly or wrongly, Louisville's football program is seen by most as having a higher ceiling than Connecticut's football program. The ACC simply could not afford to let academic aspirations overtake their financial needs so they took the Cardinals instead of the Huskies.

I think that move surprised more than a few people in the realignment world, including Chuck Neinas and his B12 cohorts. I would bet anything that if you spoke to him privately, he would admit that in retrospect he wished he had taken Louisville and Cincinnati when they adopted West Virginia.

Incidentally, the entire Louisville affair proved to me that this process is not linear. That means there is no line for expansion as so many seem to insist.

What I mean by that is that if the ACC does ever need to backfill, there is not a pecking order per se. Rather, I would expect it to be need-based.

For example, if NC State were to leave the ACC, I do believe they would likely be replaced by either Connecticut, Cincinnati, or possibly even West Virginia.

However, if say Florida State and/or Clemson were to leave the ACC, I think they would most likely be replaced by at least one (and perhaps both, but not likely) of the schools on the I-4 corridor - most likely Central Florida.

My point is do not believe it when you read writers or hear pundits saying that Cincinnati is in the front of the line or Connecticut is in the front of the line because that is not how this works. The Louisville situation proved that it is much more need-based than that.

The rhetoric has changed in the course of a month from "NO" to "perhaps we should". Probably means nothing but it is peculiar that Lyons and now Oklahoma's Boren have opened up about expansion in recent weeks.

All of this is speculation and mostly bloggers trying to add 2+2 and generally getting 5. I do know this, the Pac 12 and Larry Scott seem determine to keeping up with the Joneses (Big 10 and SEC) and their last expansion to 14 was underwhelming. And if they go to 16, they ain't looking westward.

All of this speculation leaves out the political reality involved in these moves, I guess everyone forgets Ann Richards and a bunch of Baylor and Texas Tech alums in the Texas State Legislator stopping Texas from going to the PAC10 and A&M from going to the SEC. Then there's Virginia politicians throwing a monkey wrench into the ACC's original raid on the Big East by forcing UVA the swing vote to back Virginia Tech over Syracuse.

If the SEC went after NCState would UNC and Wake Forest standby and not get state politicians involved? Why would UNC want NCState to make more money and be in a higher profile conference and why would Wake want to sit there and possibly loose their spot at the big boy table as the ACC becomes the Big East2. Also why would the SEC want NC State over UNC?

Texas can't go anywhere without Texas Tech and possibly Baylor and/or TCU, Oklahoma can't go anywhere with out Oklahoma State so any conference that wants the big prizes of the Big 12 has to bring in their little brothers too. The Pac-12 would be willing to take Texas Tech and Ok. State but there's no way they're taking Baylor or TCU and the Big Ten wants nothing to do with the little brothers of the Big 12.

All of this speculation leaves out the political reality involved in these moves, I guess everyone forgets Ann Richards and a bunch of Baylor and Texas Tech alums in the Texas State Legislator stopping Texas from going to the PAC10 and A&M from going to the SEC. Then there's Virginia politicians throwing a monkey wrench into the ACC's original raid on the Big East by forcing UVA the swing vote to back Virginia Tech over Syracuse.

If the SEC went after NCState would UNC and Wake Forest standby and not get state politicians involved? Why would UNC want NCState to make more money and be in a higher profile conference and why would Wake want to sit there and possibly loose their spot at the big boy table as the ACC becomes the Big East2. Also why would the SEC want NC State over UNC?

Texas can't go anywhere without Texas Tech and possibly Baylor and/or TCU, Oklahoma can't go anywhere with out Oklahoma State so any conference that wants the big prizes of the Big 12 has to bring in their little brothers too. The Pac-12 would be willing to take Texas Tech and Ok. State but there's no way they're taking Baylor or TCU and the Big Ten wants nothing to do with the little brothers of the Big 12.

OKay, but last I checked, A&M is in the SEC now, right? So...............

'I also think they just assumed that Louisville would still be there if/when they needed to go to 12 teams.'

yeah, I think it was mostly this at the time.

The local sports station here in Austin was talking about this yesterday. The host thinks BYU and Central Florida are the two best options. Not a whole lot left at the garage sale at this point. The host also said the Big 12 is kicking themselves for not pouncing on Louisville when it had the chance.

The SEC wants NC State and Virginia Tech and offers had been made to both. Politics within both states makes that very tough, especially when UVa was forced to back Techs invitation to join the ACC. Its about one simple thing, television markets and revenue, nothing more.

The SEC wants NC State and Virginia Tech and offers had been made to both. Politics within both states makes that very tough, especially when UVa was forced to back Techs invitation to join the ACC. Its about one simple thing, television markets and revenue, nothing more.
For both VaTech and NC State, this should be filed under "be careful what you wish for..." since neither VaTech nor NC State have set the football world on fire recently.

VaTech has some strange mystique that we see every year: invariably some "talking head"/football "expert" will predict that "this will be VaTech's year!" only to find out later that it's not. And the only time in its history that NC State has finished the season with a Top Ten ranking was in 1974, when the Coaches Poll had them ranked #9.

I'd love an nc st for wvu swap. Tough to pull a team from the ACC, GOR is a big deal, gonna need a lot of smart lawyers to find a loophole in tha . Big 12 adds 2 schools, they better find someone who can bring 60+ million a year in order for existing schools to not take pay cut. You think BYU and Boise st can bring that? Cincy and UCF? They missed their chance. Big 12 is not the hunter, sec, PAC 10 and big 10 can hunt, acc and big 12 are either prey or picking up non P5 scrap .
Another good posts!

First, there have been discussions that GOR can be challenged but so far no need to do it, and they could tie that up in Court quite a long time until settlement is reached much as the Maryland ACC Exit Fee happen. In the end, ACC kept #35 Million and UMD left without paying the full $52 Million!

Second, as Contracts get near their expiration the GOR values go down as each year is removed towards eventually renewal or possible non-renewal depending on the wording of course. Once a University is near the end of the GOR then Damages become lower or Non-Renewal is an option.

Third, So long as Big-12 with just 5 states and 10 Schools with no Big-12 Network that are prey as you say. The same for the ACC without more money from an ACCN, because Big Ten, SEC, and Pac-12 all can payout more over time. I still think the Big-12 is more vulnerable than the ACC.

Finally, I am told the Big-12 is being paid right now as if they have 12 Schools even though just 10, and if they add 2 more schools it would be 12 Schools dividing up 14 shares not 12, and that is what Texas does not want to expand?

For both VaTech and NC State, this should be filed under "be careful what you wish for..." since neither VaTech nor NC State have set the football world on fire recently.

VaTech has some strange mystique that we see every year: invariably some "talking head"/football "expert" will predict that "this will be VaTech's year!" only to find out later that it's not. And the only time in its history that NC State has finished the season with a Top Ten ranking was in 1974, when the Coaches Poll had them ranked #9.

It's about TV sets. The Big Ten didn't offer Maryland and Rutgers for what they bring on the field. And everyone's favorite ACC targets, FSU and Clemson, the SEC already has those markets.

The Big XII should have also accepted Louisville and Cincinnati when it took West Virginia. That would have legitimately expanded their footprint/reach in a way that adding WVU alone has not.

I think, like everyone else, they failed to anticipate the Big 10's decision to go after Maryland and/or the Terrapins' decision to accept that offer.

Also, I think Chuck Neinas and Texas intentionally misled the B12 presidents a little bit.

It is amazing how much people have forgotten in such a short period of time but if you'll recall, the scuttlebutt coming out of the Great Plains was that they were going to go after Florida State and Clemson and in doing so they were going to make everyone wealthy beyond their wildest dreams.

A lot of people fell for that.

There were even major voices at both Florida State and Clemson who were openly discussing a move.

...that is until people started to do the actual math and realized that the numbers were not only grossly inflated, they were flat out made up.

I think the B12 folks started to believe their own bluster. I also think they just assumed that Louisville would still be there if/when they needed to go to 12 teams.

I am sure the thinking went that if the ACC ever needed to backfill, they would look to Storrs first. Louisville is not a very good school and does not really fit the ACC profile. However, desperate times call for desperate measures and when Maryland left, the ACC needed a quality football program and rightly or wrongly, Louisville's football program is seen by most as having a higher ceiling than Connecticut's football program. The ACC simply could not afford to let academic aspirations overtake their financial needs so they took the Cardinals instead of the Huskies.

I think that move surprised more than a few people in the realignment world, including Chuck Neinas and his B12 cohorts. I would bet anything that if you spoke to him privately, he would admit that in retrospect he wished he had taken Louisville and Cincinnati when they adopted West Virginia.
I am told the Big-12 is being paid right now as if they have 12 Schools even though just 10, and if they add 2 more schools it would be 12 Schools dividing up 14 shares not 12, and that is what Texas does not want to expand?:rolleyes:;)

A big deal for them is their TV contrac . Sounds like the networks will make up the difference when they add team . That's pretty nice. Still have to split up non TV revenue though. I would love to see Texas go to PAC 10 and screw up everything.

Nc state is not going to the sec.

NC State is headed to the SEC in the next round of expansion. A far more realistic and sensible pick than Oklahoma

They (NC ST) will be replaced with either UCONN or WVU.

I hope its WVU
Why in the world would the SEC want NC State? I mean seriously... where did this come from? I live in North Carolina and let me tell you, not even anyone here gives a damn about NC State. It is a lot like Pitt in the state of PA.

There also seems to be a lot you (who are usually fairly sane) running with this lunacy.

I am told the Big-12 is being paid right now as if they have 12 Schools even though just 10, and if they add 2 more schools it would be 12 Schools dividing up 14 shares not 12, and that is what Texas does not want to expand?:rolleyes:;)

That's not how it works. The Big 12 is already getting paid for 12 schools. If they add more teams, the payout doesn't go up. The problem is that no good teams want to join if they don't get more money.

For example, the Big 12 contract is about $20 million a year (average) for each team. That's about what Florida St already makes in the ACC. So what would be the point of Florida St moving if they don't make more money? That's the problem. The only teams that would have incentive to move are call-up teams like Cincinnati or UConn.

Sounds like the networks will make up the difference when they add team . That's pretty nice

How is that good? Let's use this example. When Pitt and Syracuse joined the ACC, the payout went up from $13 million to $17 million. Imagine if when Pitt and Syracuse joined, the payout stayed at $13 million. What would have been the point of adding Pitt and Syracuse if all you did was get the same payment you were already getting?

How is that good? Let's use this example. When Pitt and Syracuse joined the ACC, the payout went up from $13 million to $17 million. Imagine if when Pitt and Syracuse joined, the payout stayed at $13 million. What would have been the point of adding Pitt and Syracuse if all you did was get the same payment you were already getting?
Because they need to get to 12 and any addition will lower TV revenu . Networks aren't gonna renegotiate and offer more for BYU, ucf, Boise st. Those schools bring nothing as far as TV viewership

Because they need to get to 12 and any addition will lower TV revenu . Networks aren't gonna renegotiate and offer more for BYU, ucf, Boise st. Those schools bring nothing as far as TV viewership

That doesn't make any sense. First of all, they don't lose TV revenue. If they make $20 million now, they will get $20 million with new teams. They don't lose money, they just don't get extra money.

The second thing is, why do they need to get to 12 teams? The deregulation petition just passed out of committee. It's pretty much a sure thing it's going to pass the final vote. By the time they expanded, the petition will already pass and they can just have a CCG with 10 teams. The only reason to add more teams would be to get more money. Since they won't get more money, there isn't any reason to get to 12 teams.

It's about TV sets. The Big Ten didn't offer Maryland and Rutgers for what they bring on the field. And everyone's favorite ACC targets, FSU and Clemson, the SEC already has those markets.
You're correct. But my point was/is that if you're a fan of either school and see that your school ain't kickin' butt in the "lowly" ACC, then how's it gonna feel to be a perennial bottom-dweller in the SEC? Good luck wit dat!

Its been awhile since we've had an expansion thread so I might as well post something.

The Big 12 isn't going to expand past 10 especllially when they are probably going to get their championship game. Forget it, not happening.

The SEC and Big Ten can add whoever they want but the legislators in VA/NC would make separating those schools very difficult. The only thing that would make sense would be the whole SEC/Big Ten deal to destroy the ACC by having NCSU and VT go to the SEC while UVA and UNC go to the Big Ten but with the schools agreeing to play each other OOC. I dont see that happening but that along with Texas going to either the ACC or Big Ten is the only things I can see happening.......but I still dont think it will.

It is not about the quality of team on the field, it is about TV sets plain and simple. Just ask Rutgers and Maryland.

The Big Ten and the SEC are not going to partner on anything. They hate each other with a passion and view each other as their chief competition. It is better for each if the ACC survives.

A big deal for them is their TV contrac . Sounds like the networks will make up the difference when they add team . That's pretty nice. Still have to split up non TV revenue though. I would love to see Texas go to PAC 10 and screw up everything.
I prefer Texas come to the ACC with Notre Dame, and that would still screw everything up, and increase the ACC Revenues Per Team in both Attendance, TV, and a Footprint no Conference could be bigger. It establish the ACC right there with SEC & B1G in Revenues!

It is in the interest of Notre Dame to help make it happen if they truly want the ACC to remain a Power Conference. In my opinion, they have the juice and connections to convince Texas the ACC would be ideal for them in Athletics, Academics, and with Notre Dame in All Sports!

I do not think this a pipe dream either, I really think this something Swofford is quietly working on and can make it happen. Notre Dame is perfect for the ACC and they have turned down the Big Ten and would never fit in SEC, and they have been preparing their Alumni for a Conference move anyway and implied they would come in if they the ACC needs defended. ND has turned down the Big Ten a number of times, after being rejected whne they did want to join s number of times.

If ACC & Swofford could convince Notre Dame to convince Texas the same, having a Conference from NYC to Chicag0 To Washington DC To Dallas To Miami and in Florida, Texas, NorthEast and Atlantic Southern Coast! Well, recruiting, attendance, and TV Money would be good as any, in my opinion.

Last edited:
IF the issues with the Longhorn network can be worked out, and IF Texas can get over being the big fish in a little pond, blowing up the Big 12 with Texas to the Big Ten makes the most sense. Why?

1. Who is the Big 12 going to poach that moves the needle in terms of teams with a national appeal, or a state that provides lots of TV sets? No one from the Big Ten, SEC or Pac is moving.

2. Forget the Pac. Despite all the talk, I don't think Texas wants to send its teams two time zones west to play. And do you really think Texas wants its football and basketball teams playing night games after the east coast media and fans have gone to sleep? Plus sending all of the non revenue sports two time zones over. The only way it makes sense is if the Pac can grab enough teams in the Midwest to create an "eastern" division.

3. Forget the SEC. They have A&M for the Texas market, and the academics... it is a consideration.

4. Forget the ACC. Geographically it makes no sense. They'd be an island apart from the rest of the conference. And the ACC (probably) can't pull enough teams together for a western division. And you have no network and big money to offer.

Which leaves... the Big Ten. Imagine these scenarios: A.) Texas and Kansas (for basketball and academics) go to the Big Ten. The Big Ten West is the weaker division in terms of football, this brings in a blue blood program to bolster that. Texas plays its games primarily in states north of it, and reunite with Nebraska. One team currently in the west division slides over to the east to balance it out. Cross divisional games possible with Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. B.) Big Ten holds its nose on academics and the teams are Texas and Oklahoma. Now you have Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Iowa in the Big Ten West, with the others. Suddenly the west isn't so weak in football with the right coaches in place.

These two teams take the Big Ten to 16. It's no secret the conference wants to go east as well. So... Maybe they can convince Virginia (a prime target for a number of reasons) and UNC. Or, perhaps more likely, Florida State since football drives the bus. If FSU would seriously consider the Big 12, why not the Big Ten with an expanded eastern division? FSU academics are borderline, however, and so far the Big Ten has been adamant about that being a consideration, and the Presidents are the ones who vote on membership. Nebraska caused enough consternation with the academic side.

The real kicker is if the Big Ten decided to go all in at 20. Do they take 3 in the west and 3 in the east? Is it Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas? Can they get 3 ACC teams to see the big picture? Imagine Virginia, UNC and Florida State added in the east. Or maybe Notre Dame licks its wounds and joins.

The SEC would probably absorb the remaining teams that bring new, substantial markets. NC State, VA Tech. Do they take Tech? Do they want to go north for Pitt? Louisville doesn't bring a new state, but their programs are doing well and could get an invite. What happens to Duke? Is the lure of upgrading SEC basketball enough? Would Duke go SEC? Or maybe Duke goes to the Big Ten instead of UNC and UNC goes SEC, leaving NC State out.

I think the east/ACC is much more up in the air as to what could play out. With no network they are in danger, IMHO. I know many are assuming no news lately means they are in the final stages, and everyone is in lockdown mode. You may be right. I suspect, however, that the network is still a pipe dream.

I do think there is blood in the water with the Big 12. Adding Texas alone makes it possible for a smaller market team to come with them. Texas going to the Big Ten West with Kansas or Oklahoma just makes too much sense. Or both and maybe convince their buddies in South Bend to give up their special treatment and join too. Does Texas have that much sway with ND? They seemed rather cozy. If the Big Ten makes a move there, will it stop, or will that cause another round of musical chairs that heads east?

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Texas will never end up in the b1g. They will remain in the big 12 or end up in the ACC. Put your $ on it. They want nothing to do with the b1g. Too old and to slow is the b1g!

IF the issues with the Longhorn network can be worked out, and IF Texas can get over being the big fish in a little pond, blowing up the Big 12 with Texas to the Big Ten makes the most sense. Why?

1. Who is the Big 12 going to poach that moves the needle in terms of teams with a national appeal, or a state that provides lots of TV sets? No one from the Big Ten, SEC or Pac is moving.

2. Forget the Pac. Despite all the talk, I don't think Texas wants to send its teams two time zones west to play. And do you really think Texas wants its football and basketball teams playing night games after the east coast media and fans have gone to sleep? Plus sending all of the non revenue sports two time zones over. The only way it makes sense is if the Pac can grab enough teams in the Midwest to create an "eastern" division.

3. Forget the SEC. They have A&M for the Texas market, and the academics... it is a consideration.

4. Forget the ACC. Geographically it makes no sense. They'd be an island apart from the rest of the conference. And the ACC (probably) can't pull enough teams together for a western division. And you have no network and big money to offer.

Which leaves... the Big Ten. Imagine these scenarios: A.) Texas and Kansas (for basketball and academics) go to the Big Ten. The Big Ten West is the weaker division in terms of football, this brings in a blue blood program to bolster that. Texas plays its games primarily in states north of it, and reunite with Nebraska. One team currently in the west division slides over to the east to balance it out. Cross divisional games possible with Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. B.) Big Ten holds its nose on academics and the teams are Texas and Oklahoma. Now you have Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Iowa in the Big Ten West, with the others. Suddenly the west isn't so weak in football with the right coaches in place.

These two teams take the Big Ten to 16. It's no secret the conference wants to go east as well. So... Maybe they can convince Virginia (a prime target for a number of reasons) and UNC. Or, perhaps more likely, Florida State since football drives the bus. If FSU would seriously consider the Big 12, why not the Big Ten with an expanded eastern division? FSU academics are borderline, however, and so far the Big Ten has been adamant about that being a consideration, and the Presidents are the ones who vote on membership. Nebraska caused enough consternation with the academic side.

The real kicker is if the Big Ten decided to go all in at 20. Do they take 3 in the west and 3 in the east? Is it Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas? Can they get 3 ACC teams to see the big picture? Imagine Virginia, UNC and Florida State added in the east. Or maybe Notre Dame licks its wounds and joins.

The SEC would probably absorb the remaining teams that bring new, substantial markets. NC State, VA Tech. Do they take Tech? Do they want to go north for Pitt? Louisville doesn't bring a new state, but their programs are doing well and could get an invite. What happens to Duke? Is the lure of upgrading SEC basketball enough? Would Duke go SEC? Or maybe Duke goes to the Big Ten instead of UNC and UNC goes SEC, leaving NC State out.

I think the east/ACC is much more up in the air as to what could play out. With no network they are in danger, IMHO. I know many are assuming no news lately means they are in the final stages, and everyone is in lockdown mode. You may be right. I suspect, however, that the network is still a pipe dream.

I do think there is blood in the water with the Big 12. Adding Texas alone makes it possible for a smaller market team to come with them. Texas going to the Big Ten West with Kansas or Oklahoma just makes too much sense. Or both and maybe convince their buddies in South Bend to give up their special treatment and join too. Does Texas have that much sway with ND? They seemed rather cozy. If the Big Ten makes a move there, will it stop, or will that cause another round of musical chairs that heads east?

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Perhaps the funniest/stupidest post I have ever read on here. Not surprising coming from a Big Ten troll.

You advocated this idea...

"blowing up the Big 12 with Texas to the Big Ten makes the most sense."

And followed it up with this one...

"Forget the ACC. Geographically it makes no sense. They'd be an island apart from the rest of the conference."

The lack of logical thinking here is astounding.

I get the Network money the B1G has. However, jumping conferences is a long term decision. Cable will be the next to die after newspapers with online content. I think Texas fits best in the ACC. Especially, with Notre Dame. That being said...it is a conference scenario I dread. Two Prima Donna schools use to having everything go their way. Honestly, I hope I never see it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT