ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Another Patriot Advantage

PittFan540

Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2012
Beside the cheating, the division they play in is a distinct advantage. Think about it, since 2000 how many teams in there division have been any good? The only one I can think of is the Jets, and only for two years. Other than that, I can't think of any other team. Basically, their division has been awful for 15 years. So let's do the math.
The Patriots play six games a year against their division rivals.
5 - 6 wins right there.

They play one AFC and one NFC division a year.
The fourth place teams 2 wins each year
The third place teams most likely two wins
Second place teams 1 to 2 wins a year.
First place teams 1 to 2 wins a year.
And the games against the two first place teams from the other AFC divisions
1 to 2 wins a year.

So going by this logic, their win total should be between 10 - 14 wins a year. Virtually guaranteeing them a playoff spot, and more than likely a playoff bye, and home field advantage for one or two games in the playoffs. There is their greatness, the putred teams in their division.

Think about all the garbage QBs the Pats have faced in the division since 2001. The best three likely are Pennington, Bledsoe (Bills) and the current Dolphins QB.

It's a distinct advantage. Yeah, the Browns stink, but Cincy has been above average for the last decade, plus you've got Pittsburgh, and Baltimore, neither of which has posted a losing record since 2007.

4 Super Bowl wins & 6 Super Bowl appearances in the last 15 years pretty much speaks for itself, regardless of their division.

I understand the dislike for the Pats, but I don't see how its possible to minimize their greatness, especially if you are a Steeler fan. Brady has owned the Steelers. I think he put up 55 on Pittsburgh last year. I don't think he has lost to the Steelers in the playoffs either, with a couple of those wins coming at Heinz Field. As a Steeler fan, I am forever thankful for Brady's fumble in Denver back in January '06, because I honestly wanted no part of the Pats in Foxboro.

I wouldn't deny their greatness, but you will simply get to more Super Bowls if you have an easier path, which the Patriots have clearly had. I've been saying this for years. Their division is so soft most years that it not only lets them win their division, but pad their win total to get a first round bye and then home field advantage.

So the Pats had to only play two playoff games this year, after a weeks rest, and then play two at home. This is their typical scenario to the Super Bowl.

Very good teams have had to play and win 3 playoff games, all on the road, to get to the Super Bowl. Their odds of getting there are immensely greater.

If you look at the numbers, the weak division theory doesn't hold water.

In 2001, New England won the division with a record of 11-5. Miami was also 11-5 and the Jets were 10-6. New England won the AFC by defeating the Steelers at Heinz before taking out 'The Greatest Show on Turf' in the Super Bowl
2002 - 3 teams in the division had a winning record.
2003 - New England was 14-2 Miami was second at 10-6
2004 - New England finished at 14-2. Jets 10-6, Bills 9-7. The Steelers had the best record in the AFC & the Pats won big at Heinz Field on their way to a Super Bowl Title.
2005 - Miami finished behind New England at 9-7.
2006 - New England went 12-4 and the Jets finished at 10-6.
2007 - The Undefeated Season ...speaks for itself
2008 - The Dolphins & Pats both finished 11-5 and the Jets were 9-7
2009 - The Jets were 9-7
2010 - The Jets finished second at 11-5

2011 & 2012 are two years where they probably benefited more than any other by playing in a weaker division.

2013 - The Pats finished at 12-4 and the Jets & Dolphins were 8-8.
2014 - New England was head and shoulders better than the rest of the AFC. The AFC as a whole was really weak. After Peyton's game went to hell in November, you can make a good case that an 8-8 Baltimore or Pittburgh were the biggest threat to the Pats

Regardless of what division you put them in, they have consistently been the class of the league for the past 15 years. Its just an incredible run.

The Pats envy in the 'burgh is strong. Ask Manning and McNabb how much an easier path benefited them and all the rings they got. What a joke.

circular logic. The reason the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills likely have two losses against the Patriots each year is because the Pats are so hard to beat. That depresses each of their records over the average

I assume many will hurl the same bitterness at Luck and Indy soon given the AFC South's arguably even weaker than the AFC East at the moment. Regardless, the Steelers hosted a home playoff v. the Ravens and lost by double digits while the Pats beat the Ravens when given the same opportunity on their home turf the following week.

There's no denying the Pats bend/break the rules. But, this weaker division nonsense is harder to stomach from fans of the team that lost to Tebow's Broncos and then were thumped at Heinz in their last two postseason appearances. And, of course, both teams that beat the Steelers proceeded to lose to the Pats in the following round.

This post was edited on 2/10 11:12 AM by JohnnyGossamer

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT