ADVERTISEMENT

OT: moe greene died this week

benchwarmer04

Sophomore
Oct 30, 2004
"i made my bones when you were still bangin' cheerleaders"......".I buy you out -you don't buy me out "...."he was doing three cocktail waitresses at a time...people couldn't get drinks ! "

"i made my bones when you were still bangin' cheerleaders"......".I buy you out -you don't buy me out "...."he was doing three cocktail waitresses at a time...people couldn't get drinks ! "
Takes a long time to die from a bullet thru the eye, no?

All 3 movies are classics.
I read The Godfather a few years before the movie came out. I'd be willing to bet I've read it a half dozen times since. The first 2 are indeed classics. They followed the book pretty well. The third one had nothing to do with the book and never should have been made.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
I still think to this day Carlo from The Godfather is the biggest idiot in cinema history. You marry the Godfather's hot daughter, have constant sex and make babies with her, never have to worry about money, live in that nice pad, help Michael out in Las Vegas and gamble all you want. Instead, he smacks her around and gets choked to death for selling out Sonny.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike83
I still think to this day Carlo from The Godfather is the biggest idiot in cinema history. You marry the Godfather's hot daughter, so have constant sex and make babies with her, never have to worry about money, live in that nice pad, help Michael out in Las Vegas and gamble all you want. Instead, he smacks her around and gets choked to death for selling out Sonny.

Yeah...but she would have left him for Rocky anyways. Especially after he fought Creed. The guinea brat.

I read The Godfather a few years before the movie came out. I'd be willing to bet I've read it a half dozen times since. The first 2 are indeed classics. They followed the book pretty well. The third one had nothing to do with the book and never should have been made.
I agree, one can enjoy the Godfather much more by reading the book by Puzo, it makes the Movie so much more insightful and one has to wonder why more of those deleted scenes would not be put back in CD or Streaming Versions. I mean much more of the Luca Brassi stories and how he came friends with the Godfather in the book would have been great cinema.

I talked to Sports & Entertainment Lawyer in LA once and he told me that the Third Film came about due to Francis Ford Coppola needed money due to losing much of his Wine Making Grapes to a Disease and he loves making Wine more than making Movies. Don't know if it is true but that is what he told me?

I loved the sonny character but was always dissapointed that he cheated on his hot wife with a very unattractive bridesmaid. Wifey is bragging bout his manhood to her friends and he repays her by hooking up with that?? C'mon Santino, you're better than that.

I still think to this day Carlo from The Godfather is the biggest idiot in cinema history. You marry the Godfather's hot daughter, have constant sex and make babies with her, never have to worry about money, live in that nice pad, help Michael out in Las Vegas and gamble all you want. Instead, he smacks her around and gets choked to death for selling out Sonny.
I always wondered if Michael really bought a plane ticket for him if he knew he was gonna kill him anyways. Got to imagine that is non refundable. Seems like a waste. Also, anyone else think that windshield cracks way too easily during the strangulation scene in them car?

Reactions: 7Fielder
Didn't that bridesmaid have Sonny's baby played by Andy Garcia in GF3?
Not sure who the mom was, still trying to figure out why he banged his underage first cousin. He threw away Bridget Fonda for his cousin? Really?

Reactions: 7Fielder
To this day I wonder if the Godfather's driver, who ended up shot in the head, ate the lasagna that Sonny told him was in the icebox, or had some Brandy that Sonny also recommended to help his cold.

I agree, one can enjoy the Godfather much more by reading the book by Puzo, it makes the Movie so much more insightful and one has to wonder why more of those deleted scenes would not be put back in CD or Streaming Versions. I mean much more of the Luca Brassi stories and how he came friends with the Godfather in the book would have been great cinema.

I talked to Sports & Entertainment Lawyer in LA once and he told me that the Third Film came about due to Francis Ford Coppola needed money due to losing much of his Wine Making Grapes to a Disease and he loves making Wine more than making Movies. Don't know if it is true but that is what he told me?

Godfather 3 never had a chance once Coppola casted his ugly daughter in a leading role. Not sure it would have been any better with Sophia Vergara in that lead role, that's how bad it was.

Agree, especially about Luca Brasi. The movie never developed what was arguably the most dynamic character in the book. Guess I'm gonna have to pick it up and read the darn thing again now.

I always wondered if Michael really bought a plane ticket for him if he knew he was gonna kill him anyways. Got to imagine that is non refundable. Seems like a waste. Also, anyone else think that windshield cracks way too easily during the strangulation scene in them car?
I doubt he bought the ticket. As for the windshield, the book does a great job pointing out how violent the scene is when someone is garroted, right down to the victim crapping himself.

You have to understand that Carlo thought he would be in the inner circle. Don Vito made it clear that was never to happen and that put Carlo into a constant steam.

I doubt he bought the ticket. As for the windshield, the book does a great job pointing out how violent the scene is when someone is garroted, right down to the victim crapping himself.
Guys you not thinking it through, all Five Families were hit and Corleone's also had Hits with Tessio and Carlo both gone in the process and others. In this way, the Corleone's also claim look we were all Hit and lost guys too!

Additionally, one does buy an Airline Ticket as proof he was going to go away and when investigated by the Police the Ticket never being used, so Carlo must have got hit and why nobody tried to cash it back in for the money would be a bad move meaning it was planned? Did Carlo just leave and disappear and run away, was his body ever found? Connie knew what happen but later forgave Michael.

Also, in the book they talk about how by confronting Carlo directly Michael's still was not a fully a smart Boss, since that put him in danger being at the Hit of his Brother-In-Law in case someone would inform later. Michael made it a personal vengeance he wanted to see but a Truly Strong and Smart leader is never at the Hit of his ordered murder of another.

Puzo wrote it that way showing Michael still had much to learn as well as Connie figuring it out when he told Carlo to meet him later? This in turn caused his own wife to figure out what Connie was saying was true later too and why she left him at the end in the next movies, after knowing Michael lied to her. (Just Some Aspects Not All Full Interpretations)

Michael got rid of not just his enemies but some of his own gang members that betrayed his own families operations and could claim they were Hit too, not just the 5 Families? Michael made himself look weak while planning the coup and move all along with a secret regime the other Families never uncovered until too late. In the book, his Father did the same thing when he rose to be at the top and knocked off men sent by Capone to knock him off and Luca Brasi intercepted them, and has he chopped one up with an Axe, and the other watched bound and tied, swallow the towel in mouth and suffocated rather die the way he knew was next?

In addition, in the book, they explain how Luca Brasi got an Irish Prostitute he used to see Pregnant and when the Baby was born threw it in the furnace! The old lady talking to Michael in the movie told Michael everything about the History of his Father, in the book.

Puzo also used a Book entitled " The Italians" actually written by Luigi Barzini (Honored Him Using His Name As A Character), as well as a loose stories lines about the History of Mafia from Sicily to NYC like when the Bonannos made a move to Arizona.

Puzo was smart enough to use an Italian Writer that wrote a book on Italy, unlike many written by foreigners and combined it with American Italians History in America. I lived in Rome in 1979 for about 6 months and few to none actually at that time talk about national character due to many city-states and Vatican, and did not unite until 1870 into a full nation. When I arrived I was given this book to read so I would understand aspects of Italy. I recommend everyone read it!

Mario Puzo wrote many short stories and worked as a writer before he took a suggestion to write The Godfather and it was an attempt to write a Best Seller since he had a hard time getting anything published that made big money. "The Italians" by Barzini focuses on what makes Italians think and do and does a good job revealing Italy then how others see it? Puzo did a brilliant job in blending both without treading on copyrights. Puzo died as he was writing Godfather Four and it was never made into a Movie.

Also, the first many Actress to play Sofia actually died before casting, some turned it down because of scheduling and in being in other movies at the same time, others rejected, and they wanted a a very young one and Coppola chose his daughter and was accused of Nepotism just like Huston chose Angelica Huston his daughter for her first movie and young actresses all have flaws in their first movies just like Actors. Later they get better and today Sofia Coppola is one fine Producer and Director!
Talia Shire and Nicolas Cage are also related to Coppola!

Like Wbrpanther said read the book, you will love the movies so much more!

Last edited:
I loved the sonny character but was always dissapointed that he cheated on his hot wife with a very unattractive bridesmaid. Wifey is bragging bout his manhood to her friends and he repays her by hooking up with that?? C'mon Santino, you're better than that.

In the book, Puzo talks about a Plastic Surgeon Doctor that fixes Michael Face because he fixed Sonny's Mistress large "Rosebud" that only Sonny could satisfy. Puzo goes into great detail about how and why Sonny and his Mistress hits it off, both having very huge organs!

Very few Wiseguys stay loyal to their wives. Yet, The Godfather was an exception and why he was formidable for Puzo purposes.

The first movie was so taken in by the Public many young people started to think the Mob was a place where class, rules, and nobility could happen.

This is one reason why the Second Movie was actually written to show Michael had to kill his own Brother that betrayed him to show he was still strong to protects what is his, ends up losing everyone close to him, wife divorces and abortion, Mother dies, Connie become a bit of selfish mother dating bums, and Michael is left all alone in the end, with just memories.

In the book and movie Michael is also catching Type-2 Diabetes when he keeps asking for water and hot towels for his eyes. Diabetes was known to be a curse to those that did bad things in their lives in ancient times when no one knew why it was happening.

In the Third Movie, Michael ends up all alone and dies an old man in a chair unlike his Father that died playing with Grandson.

Agree, especially about Luca Brasi. The movie never developed what was arguably the most dynamic character in the book. Guess I'm gonna have to pick it up and read the darn thing again now.
As I recall in the Book, Luca hates himself and fears no one but the the Godfather. As Vito does in the book figures out anyone he has to deal with before he deals with them.

In the book, it is actually the Irish Prostitute kills or dies due to Luca and her baby being thrown into the furnace incident that needs to be covered up and the Godfather does it and Brasi becomes indebted to the Don.

I came away thinking even the Godfather knew he had to be aware of Luca Brasi and the way he went about making Luca devoted to just to him was letting him know in a quiet and slightly serious caring way only the Godfather could kill him.

Even with that, the Godfather always carefully handled Luca throughout the book and never trusting anyone even being the only person to keep him in check by showing why he needed him as well. Luca was his weapon against anyone that dared to challenge the Don.

In the book, during the rise of Don Vito it was Luca Secret Regime and later known Fearless Skills of Outright Mayhem that wiped out all of Don Vito's challengers and many came to join the Don rather than face Luca.

Still, Luca was very loyal because he felt Don Vito understood him and the Don never did anything to change his mind. Again, when you read Barzini's "The Italians" this is reflected in certain Italians and Puzo adapted in his Novel and developed from Arab, Moor, Roman, and Greek Cultures.

Now I am going to have read parts of The Godfather too just get it all back again. let me know if you have the same interpretations.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT