ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pittsburgh Mills Mall sold for $100

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Yes, that is one hundred dollars. Not 100 million dollars or 100 thousand dollars.

So......if yinz bought the Mills Mall, what would you do with it?

Here is a photo......

Should never have been built. I'm sure that certain key individuals made out really well though.

Reactions: Piranha
I had my doubts as I was watching them clear the trees on that hillside and eventually dig the hill out as well. The developers made a huge gamble that never paid off.

Whatever they do with it will continue to lose money unless the government buys and uses it as offices, etc... (something that happens frequently with dead/dying malls). I say tear the whole thing down and let nature reclaim it like they did with the Richfield Coliseum in Ohio.

The first thing I thought when the mall started heading downhill is that the site would be the perfect spot someday for a Steelers stadium, arena, etc...given the dedicated interchange and large capacity roads.

Reactions: galladt
I had my doubts as I was watching them clear the trees on that hillside and eventually dig the hill out as well. The developers made a huge gamble that never paid off.

Whatever they do with it will continue to lose money unless the government buys and uses it as offices, etc... (something that happens frequently with dead/dying malls). I say tear the whole thing down and let nature reclaim it like they did with the Richfield Coliseum in Ohio.

The first thing I thought when the mall started heading downhill is that the site would be the perfect spot someday for a Steelers stadium, arena, etc...given the dedicated interchange and large capacity roads.
How about an indoor FB stadium for Pitt?? Good parking.

That place has not done well for a long time.

I think it pretty much lost money from day one, no? I remember being in there very early on and seeing all of the vacancies and seasonal stores (Halloween costume stores, Christmas stores, etc...) and thinking it was a very bad sign.

an absolute political payoff.

I mean...think of the demographics surrounding that mall.

New Ken....West Deer, Tarentum.....Creighton.....

How much disposable income do consumers from these areas actually have??

A high school junior studying economics for the first time could figure this out.

No offense to my brethren from these areas......

I think the Mortgage on the property was about $150 million.

So the Bank basically took over the property and now must decide what to do with the property to recoup some of the $150 million loan in default.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

remember everyone telling me how that is going to revitalize that area up there.. Sure it will.

A high school junior studying economics for the first time could figure this out.

Not far from Fox Chapel, O'Hara, etc., but it was never "upscale". Even decent malls have lost biz to internet sales & the big box stores. If you need socks, jeans, jackets, etc., Costco is actually pretty well-positioned.

The original plan for that mall and the one that was built look nothing alike. When the economy crashed in the mid 2000s many committed entities backed out of their agreement with the mills. There was supposed to be higher end retailers, themed restaurants like the Nascar one, a water park Great Wolf I think, etc.

More than anything it was recession in 2008 that killed that place.

Not far from Fox Chapel, O'Hara, etc., but it was never "upscale". Even decent malls have lost biz to internet sales & the big box stores. If you need socks, jeans, jackets, etc., Costco is actually pretty well-positioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Many malls are in trouble around the country. In general department stores are in trouble. Our country as a whole has too many retail outlets and Amazon is hammering them. Sears and Penny's are about to go under. Macy's is struggling. A few malls will probably make it but most will belly up. This is a long story and is not unique to the Pittsburgh area although the fact that Pittsburgh does not have a growing population hurts.

Many malls are in trouble around the country. In general department stores are in trouble. Our country as a whole has too many retail outlets and Amazon is hammering them. Sears and Penny's are about to go under. Macy's is struggling. A few malls will probably make it but most will belly up. This is a long story and is not unique to the Pittsburgh area although the fact that Pittsburgh does not have a growing population hurts.
I finally gave in and did the amazon online shopping for Christmas.. I like to consider myself a bizzaro trailblazer, meaning I wait at least a decade after something becomes a fad before I try it. it's pretty freakin sweet avoiding the mall and getting this crap delivered to your front door.. Who'd have ever guessed this whole internet thing was gonna pan out. I may have to retire my word processor

I still refuse to cut the cable chord though, I will never stream my tv content.. Long live $150 dollar monthly cable bills and channels that I pay for but don't watch..

The expectation was that people would start migrating up 28 to live in the AK valley. A monkey wrench in their plans was the sorry state of 28 and then the massive rebuild. The huge construction project scared off a lot of city people even though traffic during the project ran rather smoothly. People might start looking more at living in the AK valley but development will be slow and its far too late for the Mills. I don't know if a mall was really every a good idea anyways. Something akin to the Settlers Ridge or McCandless Crossing would probably have done much better. The other parcels up there (outside of the mall) have done rather well.

The next mall to go the way of Pittsburgh Mills will be Century III. That mall has been dead for a few years now and I'm not sure how it is hanging on.

Malls anymore succeed if they are the only game in town (Westmoreland Mall in Greensburg) or in an area that trends solidly upper-middle class and up. Labelscar and deadmalls are a few sites that document how malls across the US slowly died, including Century III. I'm not a shopper but find it to be an interesting topic. Monroeville was expected to follow suit but it seems to be hanging on decently (haven't been there in a while).

I will say as it was being built the company I worked for had part of the construction and I did spend some time there. They were very optimistic and paid for changes daily. We joked that there was a money tree out back and they were growing $1000 bills and giving them out.

Beaver Valley Mall was just sold as well. Rumored that Shell's new cracker plant will put their headquarters on the property. For people in the northern part of Beaver county decent shopping is about done. Ur choices drive to Robinson or Boardman Ohio

Reactions: vietvet1
The expectation was that people would start migrating up 28 to live in the AK valley. A monkey wrench in their plans was the sorry state of 28 and then the massive rebuild. The huge construction project scared off a lot of city people even though traffic during the project ran rather smoothly. People might start looking more at living in the AK valley but development will be slow and its far too late for the Mills. I don't know if a mall was really every a good idea anyways. Something akin to the Settlers Ridge or McCandless Crossing would probably have done much better. The other parcels up there (outside of the mall) have done rather well.

The economy in AK Valley has been devastated by steel industry. Allegheny Technologies is running at less than 50% capacity. Multiple layoffs in Natrona, Leechburg and Vandergrift have decimated this area. Even AVH hospital is a ghost town.

Last edited:
Penn state could make a branch campus
Or how about WVU? Actually, now that would be an innovation! One state university putting a branch campus in another state! Wonder if that could actually work somehow. I guess if you can attend some state schools online from another state (cue the ASU ads! ) why is it much different if it had an actual branch in that state?

...But anyway, then WVU'd capture ANOTHER key part of the region, since they claim to rule most of the SWPA now.

Reactions: eastcoasthoops
Yeah I am an AK Valley native and regretfully a resident (came home to take care of family) built a new house in Natrona Heights and again, regret it somewhat. What a dead area. And the sad thing is, it hasn't been as hard hit as the Mon and Beaver Valleys or New Castle as far as the steel industry. While Allegheny Ludlum or PPG (whatever the glass plant) does not employ as many as it once did, they are still viable plants who are operating. The area is old, the politicians lazy and backwards, but we can see when they actually do something, it fails. Hell, they put a Mexican restuarant in Natrona Heights and it didn't last a year. (it sucked).

As for the mall, from the get go it was a loser. I love the "NASCAR" theme, like that was going to rake in the people. NASCAR had like a 5 year fad period around 2000, who in the hell cares about NASCAR here? I know this is Pennsyltucky, and alot of hilljacks but come on, this isn't Greene County.

Truth is, people have habits. People in the AK Valley when they want to go "out shoppin' an' at", we are conditioned to go to Monroevillle or Ross Park Malls. Now that Monroeville Mall is like going to Homewood, probably not as much.

The crappy chain restaurants surrounding Mills Mall are still crowded they tell me, Loews, Walmart, Sams Club on the peripheral do okay. But the AK Valley is so friggin backwards. People should be ashamed of themselves for being so cheap and backwards.
People here are really weird, so afraid of anything new. So backwards. A visit to Pittsburgh for some (20 minutes away) might as well be going to Mars (the planet not town). You would think those who researched this would have learned this. This area cannot even get a Red Lobster. I HATE RED LOBSTER, but these jabrones would eat that up there would be lines around 28 to get in. Just a pathetic part of the earth, that I hate to say are my people.

Bubba nailed it, bars and churches. Want a pizza or seasoned wings and cheap beer? Come to the AK Valley. Want anything else, forget about it. The worst, this complete failure of a mall then just killed New Ken, Lower Burrell and Heights Plaza shopping districts.

Yinz AK Valley folks know exactly what I am talking about with this rant.

The economy in AK Valley has been devastated by steel industry. Allegheny Technologies is running at less than 50% capacity. Multiple layoffs in Natrona, Leechburg and Vandergrift have decimated this area. Even AVH hospital is ghost town.

"Devastated"? Drive up and down the Mon and Ohio Valleys, or New Castle. That is devastated.

Reactions: vietvet1
Yeah I am an AK Valley native and regretfully a resident (came home to take care of family) built a new house in Natrona Heights and again, regret it somewhat. What a dead area. And the sad thing is, it hasn't been as hard hit as the Mon and Beaver Valleys or New Castle as far as the steel industry. While Allegheny Ludlum or PPG (whatever the glass plant) does not employ as many as it once did, they are still viable plants who are operating. The area is old, the politicians lazy and backwards, but we can see when they actually do something, it fails. Hell, they put a Mexican restuarant in Natrona Heights and it didn't last a year. (it sucked).

As for the mall, from the get go it was a loser. I love the "NASCAR" theme, like that was going to rake in the people. NASCAR had like a 5 year fad period around 2000, who in the hell cares about NASCAR here? I know this is Pennsyltucky, and alot of hilljacks but come on, this isn't Greene County.

Truth is, people have habits. People in the AK Valley when they want to go "out shoppin' an' at", we are conditioned to go to Monroevillle or Ross Park Malls. Now that Monroeville Mall is like going to Homewood, probably not as much.

The crappy chain restaurants surrounding Mills Mall are still crowded they tell me, Loews, Walmart, Sams Club on the peripheral do okay. But the AK Valley is so friggin backwards. People should be ashamed of themselves for being so cheap and backwards.
People here are really weird, so afraid of anything new. So backwards. A visit to Pittsburgh for some (20 minutes away) might as well be going to Mars (the planet not town). You would think those who researched this would have learned this. This area cannot even get a Red Lobster. I HATE RED LOBSTER, but these jabrones would eat that up there would be lines around 28 to get in. Just a pathetic part of the earth, that I hate to say are my people.

Bubba nailed it, bars and churches. Want a pizza or seasoned wings and cheap beer? Come to the AK Valley. Want anything else, forget about it. The worst, this complete failure of a mall then just killed New Ken, Lower Burrell and Heights Plaza shopping districts.

That is another weird thing about the AK Valley. Adults that live at home or close by. I call it the Catholic Guilt. Why not move to a nicer area that is 20-30 mins away and live your life - you can still see them? Or if you must, build or buy a large home in which they have their own living quarters?

I challenge anyone to walk into century III mall, walk around for 5 minutes and not feel depressed..

I challenge anyone to walk in there and not fear for his or her life. It's like an indoor black market anymore: Fake gold and cell phone cover kiosks abound, and even an Asian massage parlor. I'd also wager to guess that, of the nine people in the world currently wearing Female Body Inspector shirts, eight of them are currently in that mall.

None taken....You nailed it!!!!!

"Devastated"? Drive up and down the Mon and Ohio Valleys, or New Castle. That is devastated.
Yes, New Castle is devastated. BUT the food is very good.

Was at the James 5:16 Center in the valley for a boxing show. It was really cool. Lots of donations for Toys for Tots. Due to the small size, it was packed and had a great atmosphere. Definitely felt like I was back in time.

Also, I have gone very soft. When I learned Spadafora got in trouble, again, I was sad. Coaches I know speak glowingly of his early days, and the 'I sparred with Spadafora' or 'I fought on a card with Spadafora' still provide give instant cred.

Reactions: eastcoasthoops
We need to Make Malls Great Again.

I miss the wood benches, fountains and stone/brick constructed sitting areas.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to lose memories of my grandfather, but one of them I have left is being a small child sitting on his lap at the mall looking into a fountain waiting for my mom and aunt to come out of JC Penny. He was smoking a pipe, I loved that smell. He was giving me coins to toss in and make wishes.

Sorry to hear such bad things about my "born and raised" area, the AK Valley, East Deer-Frazer High School!

Reactions: Lancer76
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT