ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pittsburgh Mills Mall sold for $100

yeah that is so true. People in Wexford or USC with the McMansions and BMW's....big hat, no cattle. I remember a plumber friend of mine who did a job in Franklin Park and went in and it was a huge place but was barely furnished and what furniture they had didn't look too nice. So he asked them if they just moved in assuming that their stuff might still be in storage and they replied that they had been there 4 years.

My grandfather was a contractor. So he built houses during the boom times in the area (Post WWII). When he died, you find bags of $10,000 or in books, or boxes, it was a like a treasure hunt. If he invested way back then, his portfolio would be in the millions and millions and I would have been set for life likely. But he didn't. He lived in a really simple house, drove 10-12 year old vehicles, etc.... Wouldn't spend money to go to eat. That is the AK Valley.

My grandfather was a contractor. So he built houses during the boom times in the area (Post WWII). When he died, you find bags of $10,000 or in books, or boxes, it was a like a treasure hunt. If he invested way back then, his portfolio would be in the millions and millions and I would have been set for life likely. But he didn't. He lived in a really simple house, drove 10-12 year old vehicles, etc.... Wouldn't spend money to go to eat. That is the AK Valley.
Sounds like my Mom and Dad. Living in an independent retirement community. I moved them/cleaned out their house and found a nice stash. Luckily they did have great investment guidance. Lived a very simple life.

yeah that is so true. People in Wexford or USC with the McMansions and BMW's....big hat, no cattle. I remember a plumber friend of mine who did a job in Franklin Park and went in and it was a huge place but was barely furnished and what furniture they had didn't look too nice. So he asked them if they just moved in assuming that their stuff might still be in storage and they replied that they had been there 4 years.
I understand what you're saying. I just want to give a differing viewpoint..(No one here knows who I am, so I'm not defending myself. Just giving my thought process.)

I live in what you might call a McMansion. It's in a neighborhood of 6,500 sq ft houses, on 3/4 acre lots. Would I rather have a custom built house? Yes. Would I rather have 5 acres? Yes. But it has all the space we'll ever need, it's a nice new house, it's in a nice neighborhood with an HOA, in a nice school district. We don't have all the higher end furniture that we want right now, but we add some each year depending on bonuses.

I guess my point is that McMansion is usually used derisively, as if the owners are trying to put on that they're something that they're not. I can't speak for everyone, but in my case, we were looking for the best combination of factors for us, and the McMansion checked more boxes for us than anything else. I'm not trying to impress anyone or fool them into thinking that I have more than I actually do.

Again, not looking for an argument here, just giving a different viewpoint.

In my house we call those people sneaky millionaires. live a very austere life stuyle and sock away a lot of money. its like people in America used to live

Many malls are in trouble around the country. In general department stores are in trouble. Our country as a whole has too many retail outlets and Amazon is hammering them. Sears and Penny's are about to go under. Macy's is struggling. A few malls will probably make it but most will belly up. This is a long story and is not unique to the Pittsburgh area although the fact that Pittsburgh does not have a growing population hurts.
Malls killed the downtowns, Internet and box stores are killing the malls.

I understand what you're saying. I just want to give a differing viewpoint..(No one here knows who I am, so I'm not defending myself. Just giving my thought process.)

I live in what you might call a McMansion. It's in a neighborhood of 6,500 sq ft houses, on 3/4 acre lots. Would I rather have a custom built house? Yes. Would I rather have 5 acres? Yes. But it has all the space we'll ever need, it's a nice new house, it's in a nice neighborhood with an HOA, in a nice school district. We don't have all the higher end furniture that we want right now, but we add some each year depending on bonuses.

I guess my point is that McMansion is usually used derisively, as if the owners are trying to put on that they're something that they're not. I can't speak for everyone, but in my case, we were looking for the best combination of factors for us, and the McMansion checked more boxes for us than anything else. I'm not trying to impress anyone or fool them into thinking that I have more than I actually do.

Again, not looking for an argument here, just giving a different viewpoint.

Hey no need to justify your lifestyle to us. That is the beauty of this country all get to decide how we want to live our lives. My point is"don't judge a book by it's cover". My grandfather and his brothers were all either close to being or being a millionaire when they died. They all lived in Monesson, all worked in the mills all saved and had pensions. They lived comfortable but frugal lives. While there are a lot of poor people in these runned down towns, there is still surprising wealth too. Same the other way, in the USC and Hampton etc, there are people who have tons of money in them, but some are going into great debt to make seem like they are.

The interesting thing is Ross Park is much newer than South Hills Village, etc. And it too took a while before it really took off 10+ years ago. I'm still not 100% sure why because it's not like it's in the middle of some high income area. Ross is a great area, but definitely very middle class. Yes, it draws from higher income areas to the north, but Ross Park was no Taj Mahal when it was first built. The explosion of the McKnight Road corridor is fascinating.

I live in Ross Twp. You're correct, it's very middle class but is in the best location in the city, very population dense area, surrounded by additionally dense northern suburbs and with multiple easily accessible routes from the north, south and west and WAY easy access to downtown (that's why I chose to live there). The Ross Park Mall has high end stores. The Shoppes at Northway offer the Container Store, Nordstrom Rack, Saks Fifth Ave, J Crew Mercantile -- unique destination shopping plus Ross is easily accessible to most of the city.
As far as Amazon -- yeah, it can be convenient but clearly has it's problems. You NEVER really know what you're getting quality-wise until it arrives at your front door. And apparently it has been getting a lot of bad press already from employees, who feel they have no personal value at all. This wont set well with millennials. One article I read compared working at Amazon to working during the great depression, where men would stand at the factory gate in the hope of being selected for a few days' labor. Another said that working at Amazon is to "spend your days at the coalface of consumerism." Sounds pretty stark. Mark it down, a LARGE portion of people will get down on the "whole impersonalization" of the Amazon shopping experience. Humans are social creatures and malls are places where people can socialize. What's old generally comes full circle and becomes new again. I think going out shopping with family/friends will too eventually.

Reactions: vietvet1
I live in Ross Twp. You're correct, it's very middle class but is in the best location in the city, very population dense area, surrounded by additionally dense northern suburbs and with multiple easily accessible routes from the north, south and west and WAY easy access to downtown (that's why I chose to live there). The Ross Park Mall has high end stores. The Shoppes at Northway offer the Container Store, Nordstrom Rack, Saks Fifth Ave, J Crew Mercantile -- unique destination shopping plus Ross is easily accessible to most of the city.
As far as Amazon -- yeah, it can be convenient but clearly has it's problems. You NEVER really know what you're getting quality-wise until it arrives at your front door. And apparently it has been getting a lot of bad press already from employees, who feel they have no personal value at all. This wont set well with millennials. One article I read compared working at Amazon to working during the great depression, where men would stand at the factory gate in the hope of being selected for a few days' labor. Another said that working at Amazon is to "spend your days at the coalface of consumerism." Sounds pretty stark. Mark it down, a LARGE portion of people will get down on the "whole impersonalization" of the Amazon shopping experience. Humans are social creatures and malls are places where people can socialize. What's old generally comes full circle and becomes new again. I think going out shopping with family/friends will too eventually.
I'll consider the McKnight Road explosion complete when Maggiano's actually builds there as promised 2 years ago.

Where's your proof to slander the Russians? I can believe that it's CHY-na and even the Iranians but not the Russians. They are a great and wonderful people.

an absolute political payoff.

I mean...think of the demographics surrounding that mall.

New Ken....West Deer, Tarentum.....Creighton.....

How much disposable income do consumers from these areas actually have??

A high school junior studying economics for the first time could figure this out.

No offense to my brethren from these areas......

The outer ring businesses and restaurants seem to do ok from what I've read

The best part of the mall to me as a teen was the National Record Mart (if you live in WPA, most malls had one). I could spend a lot of time (and money) in there. Our mall had a Walden Books too. Killed a lot of time at their magazine section. Spencer's was good for laughs. In between, if lucky enough someone could borrow dad's car and take me and my buddies, patrolling up and down the main through ways hoping to run into girls from school. (Or praying not to be seen, if forced to go with parents, usually for back to school clothes...).
Loved NRM and Record Outlet. Liked George Aikens for their fish sandwich and Sir Loin in Squirrel Hill and Isaly's for ice cream. And the bakeries, Waldorf's and Rosenbloom's selling chocolate gems. Damn I miss all of that.

Yeah I am. It is amazing, I lived away from the area for 20 years. I live in the one new development now in Natrona Heights. It is a nice neighborhood. But my god, this place, and alot I blame local politicians for being so backwards, and people who have never left. Sometimes when you don't have or experience, you don't know what you are missing. As far as ATI, could you imagine this area if they left all together? It would be Clairton Part II. And what has happened at ATI is just no different than any manufacturing, automation and process control just reduces the need for human involvement. So they will never employ enough. The 1.2 Billion dollar expansion was great, it cemented that ATI's main plant will be here for awhile, but it really didn't employ any additional people.

To show you how backwards this area is, there is a large development of land that someone was going to put in a light Industrial Park. They have flattened down all of the trees. Cleared some of the land. And it was stopped because someone complained, some small pipe business that may employ like 6 people worried about "run off". Needed businesses, tax dollars and employment, and someone bitches and it stops. Also Natrona Heights specifically is a victim that it is adjacent to Butler county which is more tax friendly.

But the AK Valley, I mean I am a foodie, and trust me, Clarksburg friggin West Virginia has more viable choices. Oh sure, I am close enough to Pittsburgh, but it is not even the drive that is bothersome but finding parking. The area is one big Sr rest home. And look at the local HS sports teams, for the most part, they suck. Christ Highlands is one of the biggest schools, and they barely could field a wrestling team (didn't the past few years) and other sports. I think the Highlands area is home to some of the laziest white people on earth.

Sorry for the rant. But the Frazier Mall is just a result of this whole Valley crumbling. Like I said it is a weird area. Close enough and old mill town enough to have all of the problems of the Clairton or Quippa/Ambridge areas and rural enough to have all of the problems of Trumpville, and rural areas like Ford City and Kittanning which essentially are Heroin distribution centers.
Why not live somewhere better?

Donald Trump has bashed Amazon as a job killer. It was amusing this past week to read that Amazon joined the parade of other companies by announcing they will be adding 100,000 jobs over the next few years. You could hardly contain yourself by adding that they will probably kill at least 200,000 jobs in the retail sector.

With the growth of Amazon this country has become over retailed. Sears, Penny's, Macy's and the Limited have all announced store closings recently. Most book stores have closed with the exception of Barnes & Noble. Many other retailers will follow.

Pittsburgh will probably have only three malls when things shake out. (Monroeville, South Hills Village and Ross Park.) No new malls will ever be built. This is not unique to this Pittsburgh area.

Why not live somewhere better?

Taking care of a family matter. But you know, I mean it is where I am from, and just to see it so backwards, where other areas of the region are growing and expanding, it is frustrating and sad. Which is more the point of my original post moreso the health of a mall.

C2o-uv9XEAIaNHt.jpg

Jeff Bezos completely changed the game.

He has changed the game. I must admit I like traditional shopping where I can touch and inspect the product before I purchase. I have used amazon in the past and still will, but I try to by from brick and mortar every chance I can for that reason. I must admit, more than any other site in the web Amazon makes me feel like a zombie.

Pittsburgh will probably have only three malls when things shake out. (Monroeville, South Hills Village and Ross Park.) No new malls will ever be built. This is not unique to this Pittsburgh area.

I agree, but I will say this the Clearview Mall in Butler was dead, couldn't believe it was still open every time I went there with my in laws who live that way. The place was always dead, like less than 200 people there and a lot of vacant stores. Then Rural King ( a good store for that area) opened about a year ago. Next thing you know more stores and more people are there now. Not saying that business is booming, but business is the best its been since 2004 when I started dating my wife and going there. Plus by looking at the people it seems diverse in age from the teens all the way through the Sr Citizens. I hope they keep it up it is a nice change to see. I hope these other malls can at least stabilize some. it would be horrible to see empty building after empty building like a lot of the smaller downtown's in the area also in the suburbs.

I buy as little online as I can. I want to see, feel and try out the product as much as I can before I buy it. I don't want my credit card information in all those website databases. I also don't like my product being delivered to me by UPS/FedEx and having it on my porch. On top of that, who the hell wants all of those boxes from all those deliveries.

I guess having OLD school patents and working in IT for 15+ years have turned me away from it.

Reactions: Mikefln
Amazon has reviews under the product information that clearly explain the quality of the product you will be receiving. Just an FYI.

Amazon has reviews under the product information that clearly explain the quality of the product you will be receiving. Just an FYI.

Yes and I must admit those reviews are meaningless to me. People just like to hear themselves talk and feel like their opinion matters. You have a reviewer bash a product yet give 5* or the reverse praise a product and give 1*. Then some of the things people complain about or praise you must question if they just joined life. I find reviews better on the more specialized sites as opposed to a general sure like Amazon. For example I will take what reviewers say about a gun part on midwayusa as opposed to Amazon. Or a security system from monoprice as opposed to Amazon. I am not antiAmazon, but I don't think it is God's gift like many others do.

Like news sources, you need to use some common sense. You sound anti-amazon.

Yes and I must admit those reviews are meaningless to me. People just like to hear themselves talk and feel like their opinion matters. You have a reviewer bash a product yet give 5* or the reverse praise a product and give 1*. Then some of the things people complain about or praise you must question if they just joined life. I find reviews better on the more specialized sites as opposed to a general sure like Amazon. For example I will take what reviewers say about a gun part on midwayusa as opposed to Amazon. Or a security system from monoprice as opposed to Amazon. I am not antiAmazon, but I don't think it is God's gift like many others do.

Like news sources, you need to use some common sense. You sound anti-amazon.
It is funny that you talk about common sense then come to the conclusion you did. Just because Amazon isn't for me personally does not make me an anti. It is like stating because I don't watch/ care for Pitt basketball that must mean I'm anti Pitt. Reality is I don't like basketball but love Pitt, and with that said I hope Pitt ball wins even without my support.

Last edited:
I don't blame Recruits for wanting to return to his home town. I moved from Penn Hills although I still love it. You hate to see your old home beat to death. of course the libtards blame us for not staying among a dysfunctional base.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT