ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stillers vs. Bungles game thread

On the Johnson non TD catch.Tomlin didn’t challenge because he didn’t get a good enough look in time.My question is,aren’t all scoring plays reviewed anyway? Why wasn’t there a booth review?

On the Johnson non TD catch.Tomlin didn’t challenge because he didn’t get a good enough look in time.My question is,aren’t all scoring plays reviewed anyway? Why wasn’t there a booth review?
It wasn’t a scoring play it was ruled incomplete. If the refs called it a TD then it would be subject to automatic review

Tomlin has to be the only nFL coach who doesn’t have someone in the booth looking at replays and notifying the HC to challenge the call. Hes so arrogant he thinks his feel for the challenge is better. Lolz. Yup his record is amazing

Tomlin has to be the only nFL coach who doesn’t have someone in the booth looking at replays and notifying the HC to challenge the call. Hes so arrogant he thinks his feel for the challenge is better. Lolz. Yup his record is amazing
Doesn’t have a passing coordinator either.

38 successful out of 91 career challenges! He's a friggin' genius :)
When you’re consistently that bad at something for 15 years as an organization, how do you make no efforts to fix it? One missed challenge could be the difference between the playoffs and missing the playoffs. It can be the difference between 8-9 and 9-8.
On top of that, how many has he not challenged that he should have? He's the Junko of red flags.

Reactions: Chaos
When you’re consistently that bad at something for 15 years as an organization, how do you make no efforts to fix it? One missed challenge could be the difference between the playoffs and missing the playoffs. It can be the difference between 8-9 and 9-8.
Guess who won’t pay for it ?
Eventually you all are going to realize the tight purse strings are controlled by one guy

Eventually you all are going to realize the tight purse strings are controlled by one guy
I’m the guy who has been complaining about those staff purse strings longer than anyone on this board. Welcome to my club. But I thought we had someone upstairs? today it wasn’t the case?

I’m the guy who has been complaining about those staff purse strings longer than anyone on this board. Welcome to my club. But I thought we had someone upstairs? today it wasn’t the case?
I think Tomlin was being honest in that there wasn’t a good view fast enough to make the challenge .
Not sure there was definitive proof to overturn the call .
I would have liked a challenge there .
Of course nobody expected a Warren fumble the next play, either .

Sorry - it was more of a royal You - not directed at you , specifically .

But hey - the offense played seemingly inspired today , granted against a bad defense .
You gotta start somewhere

Today's TD pass by Pickett to Johnson, that was a TD all the announcers and the rules experts were pretty sure.
uh, the announcers thought it "might be" and expert Gene Steratore was already on his 7th Iron City while making his opinion known...

He could do something different without paying extra, all those guys in the booth, they aren't looking at the replays, nobody is watching the game on TV in the booth? He can't designate one of them to look at replays and notify him if they think he should challenge?

uh, the announcers thought it "might be" and expert Gene Steratore was already on his 7th Iron City while making his opinion known...
Doesn't mean it couldn't have been, a TD is worth risking a timeout for. He often risks it on hopeless spot reviews for a half yard.

People complained that Ben should take less, hometown discount, to open cap space. Why doesn't Tomlin?
I agree. But mostly, I think Rooney is antiquated and a complete disappointment as an owner.

Reactions: Pitt79
I agree. But mostly, I think Rooney is antiquated and a complete disappointment as an owner.

Absolutely, he's a horrible owner, just living off the name, also meddling in the team, every year he has these interviews where he tells them they need to run the ball more, he's just a stupid Yinzer daydreaming about how you win .... in the 70s, except he owns the team and of course his other main pursuit, virtue signaling, nothing he does is about 2023 style NFL football.

People complained that Ben should take less, hometown discount, to open cap space. Why doesn't Tomlin?
Coaches don't have a salary cap

Steeler philosophy for 50+ years is if you have the right head coach, it doesn't matter as much who the assistants are, but under this Rooney they've taken it to a crazy extreme. Guys like LeBeau and Arians and Munchak weren't being paid peanuts, the organization was willing to pay for quality. Now pennies are pinched for everyone but Tomlin

Tomlin is paid. But Rooney won’t pay for a coaching staff or a staff in general.
This coaching staff once had Dick LeBeau, Todd Haley, and Mike Munchak, three former head coaches and later Brian Flores. I somehow think if Tomlin wants to bring in a highly paid assistant, he'll pay for it.

Coaches don't have a salary cap

Steeler philosophy for 50+ years is if you have the right head coach, it doesn't matter as much who the assistants are, but under this Rooney they've taken it to a crazy extreme. Guys like LeBeau and Arians and Munchak weren't being paid peanuts, the organization was willing to pay for quality. Now pennies are pinched for everyone but Tomlin
It's stupid to have a 50-year-old philosophy that you don't ever tweak, times change and like the Steelers your old ass philosophy becomes obsolete.

But if Rooney is imposing a voluntary cap on how much he's willing to spend, then it's the same concept.
There is no such thing as a voluntary cap
The Rooney’s can spend as much as they want
They choose not to .
Because they pinch Pennies

So let’s see Tomlin is recognized as one of the better coaches in the league He easily could raise the issue of money for staff (either publicly or through national media back channels) as limiting his ability to hire a top notch staff. Yet he hasn’t done it All of these guys at this level have egos. I find it hard to believe the Rooneys are penny pinching and ham stringing Tomlins ability to hire top staff and win……while Tomlin just accepts it. Either he’s egotistical enough to think he doesn’t need great assistants or he simply hasn’t pushed Rooney to shell out the bucks. Either way it’s on him

Surely he can do better than Butler Fichtner and Canada Dry.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
So let’s see Tomlin is recognized as one of the better coaches in the league He easily could raise the issue of money for staff (either publicly or through national media back channels) as limiting his ability to hire a top notch staff. Yet he hasn’t done it All of these guys at this level have egos. I find it hard to believe the Rooneys are penny pinching and ham stringing Tomlins ability to hire top staff and win……while Tomlin just accepts it. Either he’s egotistical enough to think he doesn’t need great assistants or he simply hasn’t pushed Rooney to shell out the bucks. Either way it’s on him

Surely he can do better than Butler Fichtner and Canada Dry.

Tomlin is also extraordinarily well paid. He could spare half his salary, still be in the middle 1/3 of coaches in the NFL in terms of pay, and direct the remaining funds to hiring the best staff in the league. He doesn't do that either.

It's not a resource issue. No one in the building feels that better/more coaches are necessary.

Tomlin is also extraordinarily well paid. He could spare half his salary, still be in the middle 1/3 of coaches in the NFL in terms of pay, and direct the remaining funds to hiring the best staff in the league. He doesn't do that either.

It's not a resource issue. No one in the building feels that better/more coaches are necessary.
Yup its either arrogance or stupidity or a combination of the two

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT