The stillers has 16 coaches on their staff - excluding S&C
The ravens have 23 plus a few extra fellows and assistants
The browns have 24
The Bengals have 20

KC has 28
The eagles have 27
49ers have 28

I’ll see if I can dig up some historic steeler coaching staffs
What’s scary to me is what’s going on, or not going on behind the scenes that we don’t see such as analytics, etc. It’s as though the Steelers choose to play with one hand tied behind their back. If they had the proper resources within the organization, maybe the owner would have known how historically anemic and archaic our offense was and he wouldn’t have waited so long to make the HC fire the OC.

What’s scary to me is what’s going on, or not going on behind the scenes that we don’t see such as analytics, etc. It’s as though the Steelers choose to play with one hand tied behind their back. If they had the proper resources within the organization, maybe the owner would have known how historically anemic and archaic our offense was and he wouldn’t have waited so long to make the HC fire the OC.
So are we saying that Tomlin is such a wall flower that he has no influence on the operating budget for the Steelers which includes coaching salaries? A guy as highly compensated and thought of in the industry is going to just sit back and live with the cheap owners constraints?

Sorry I’m not buying that. Tomlin like most successful NFL coaches wouldn’t tolerate being hamstrung with a limited budget for staff or operations. The staff he has and the approach they take is based on his direction period

So are we saying that Tomlin is such a wall flower that he has no influence on the operating budget for the Steelers which includes coaching salaries? A guy as highly compensated and thought of in the industry is going to just sit back and live with the cheap owners constraints?

Sorry I’m not buying that. Tomlin like most successful NFL coaches wouldn’t tolerate being hamstrung with a limited budget for staff or operations. The staff he has and the approach they take is based on his direction period
Tomlin isn’t immune to criticism either. If it wasn’t for Rooney stepping in, we’d still have Canada.

Reactions: pittbb80
If they had the proper resources within the organization, maybe the owner would have known how historically anemic and archaic our offense was and he wouldn’t have waited so long to make the HC fire the OC.
If the owner needs some analytics to see the scheme and players suck on offense, then maybe he should fire himself.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Tomlin isn’t immune to criticism either. If it wasn’t for Rooney stepping in, we’d still have Canada.
I’m sorry Fk but Pittbb80’s logic sounds more plausible than yours. Step back and think about.

A HC so highly thought of in his industry is just going to sit back and be fine with Rooney dictating to him that he has to fire his OC and he only gets 16 staff while all other teams have 24-28 or more. Something stinks in that scenario to me.

I’m sorry Fk but Pittbb80’s logic sounds more plausible than yours. Step back and think about.

A HC so highly thought of in his industry is just going to sit back and be fine with Rooney dictating to him that he has to fire his OC and he only gets 16 staff while all other teams have 24-28 or more. Something stinks in that scenario to me.
Tomlin watched his offense fail for how long with Canada before a move was made? It seems unlikely that he just suddenly realized Canada sucked. There isn't a logical reason why Canada was still employed after last year.

#Tomlining

He's good for one of these ridiculous losses each year. Good news is he'll take care of New England (I hope). He got the incredible loss out of his system for the year.

Never disagreed. But the owner has been duped by charisma and catch phrases for a decade. And he was duped again the back half of last season beating up on backup quarterbacks. We don’t have strong ownership or strong leadership.

Jr is in way over his head and his Dad is rolling over in his grave. Although I wish Dad was still alive so that we could all see what his breaking point would have been.

What is the standard?

#Tomlining

He's good for one of these ridiculous losses each year. Good news is he'll take care of New England (I hope). He got the incredible loss out of his system for the year.
As are most every head coach to be honest
The nfl is all just varying degrees of mediocrity .

Never disagreed. But the owner has been duped by charisma and catch phrases for a decade. And he was duped again the back half of last season beating up on backup quarterbacks. We don’t have strong ownership or strong leadership.

Jr is in way over his head and his Dad is rolling over in his grave. Although I wish Dad was still alive so that we could all see what his breaking point would have been.

What is the standard?
Where has he been duped. You keep throwing out how they/he thinks they’re good and ergo are not doing anything to upgrade or correct all the deficiencies. But they moved up and drafted the OT everyone wanted. The new GM and his assistant with all the supposed knowledge from doing it at Philly further retooled the OL (even though that doesn’t seem to be working), they actually went out and acquired ILBs that finally looked like worthwhile additions, until they got hurt. There’s only so much you can do under a salary cap. You or others may be, but count me as one not in favor of completely blowing it up by dumping guys like TJ Watt.

That’s why I didn’t agree with your other post saying KP getting hurt is the best thing that could happen because Art will finally see and realize how bad they are. Couldn’t disagree more, they really needed the rest of this season’s games to see if they have anything in KP.

Where has he been duped. You keep throwing out how they/he thinks they’re good and ergo are not doing anything to upgrade or correct all the deficiencies. But they moved up and drafted the OT everyone wanted. The new GM and his assistant with all the supposed knowledge from doing it at Philly further retooled the OL (even though that doesn’t seem to be working), they actually went out and acquired ILBs that finally looked like worthwhile additions, until they got hurt. There’s only so much you can do under a salary cap. You or others may be, but count me as one not in favor of completely blowing it up by dumping guys like TJ Watt.

That’s why I didn’t agree with your other post saying KP getting hurt is the best thing that could happen because Art will finally see and realize how bad they are. Couldn’t disagree more, they really needed the rest of this season’s games to see if they have anything in KP.
He was duped into thinking this offense was an NFL offense so he thought Canada was best for Kenny. Our losses should have been cut last year. Going 6-1 down the stretch and finishing 9-8 muddied the waters and was bad for the long term health of the franchise

As far as Kenny’s development now…yeah it’s a bad predicament not having him for the next several games. But if Kenny had 5 more weeks like last week, I could see Tomlin and Rooney thinking that this current offense run by Those two guys can work.

I find that really hard to believe
Since we know the Rooney’s hate paying someone for not working
Well it depends on who you believe.

Tomlin admitted this season that he lies to the media. So how can we believe him when he told them that he was the one that made the decision on Canada?

But if you believe the guy who has the most sources inside the organization, Gerry Dulac, it was Rooney who made the decision on Canada. And then there’s Ed Bouchette, who has 40 year relationships in the building, and he said that Dulac’s reporting is iron clad, and that Bouchette has his own sources that back up Dulac’s reporting.

So logically…well…it’s obvious.

Reactions: FireballZ

What is the standard?
Not arguing but just pointing out that the owner is only responsible for the HC. He needs to let the HC run the team as he sees fit. If the owner has to step in and make the HC fire and OC then he’s firing the wrong guy. The Roomeys /Steelers success has been based on hiring really good coaches and then getting out of the way and supporting them. I suspect Junior is taking that formula for success and perhaps being too patient/hands off

Reactions: NCanton Panther
He was duped into thinking this offense was an NFL offense so he thought Canada was best for Kenny. Our losses should have been cut last year. Going 6-1 down the stretch and finishing 9-8 muddied the waters and was bad for the long term health of the franchise

As far as Kenny’s development now…yeah it’s a bad predicament not having him for the next several games. But if Kenny had 5 more weeks like last week, I could see Tomlin and Rooney thinking that this current offense run by Those two guys can work.
I guess another thing I can’t agree with you on FK. You seem to want an owner that gets overly involved in pure football decisions. I don’t. I want an owner that knows how to hire a good HC and GM and then gets out of the way and lets them do what they’re hired for. I’m not for an owner dictating OC, DC or other staff hiring/firing, that should be solely the HC to determine.

Owner should evaluate team performance and results each year and let them know if they’re falling below the line. Then it’s back to the GM and HC to correct/improve things or ….

Not arguing but just pointing out that the owner is only responsible for the HC. He needs to let the HC run the team as he sees fit. If the owner has to step in and make the HC fire and OC then he’s firing the wrong guy. The Roomeys /Steelers success has been based on hiring really good coaches and then getting out of the way and supporting them. I suspect Junior is taking that formula for success and perhaps being too patient/hands off
I agree with this , I wrote my reply before scrolling down and seeing yours.

I guess another thing I can’t agree with you on FK. You seem to want an owner that gets overly involved in pure football decisions. I don’t. I want an owner that knows how to hire a good HC and GM and then gets out of the way and lets them do what they’re hired for. I’m not for an owner dictating OC, DC or other staff hiring/firing, that should be solely the HC to determine.

Owner should evaluate team performance and results each year and let them know if they’re falling below the line. Then it’s back to the GM and HC to correct/improve things or ….
I want an owner whose stated goal is championships, not simply making the playoffs. And every time I hear Rooney state this ridiculous goal, I want to punch my tv. No one remembers who the 6th or 7th best team in the conference is.

He to write to checks so the HC can have the best staff possible .
This Rooney isn’t doing it
but people think he’s making the call on the OC - after signing off on his promotion and previous two seasons?
C’mon

He to write to checks so the HC can have the best staff possible .
This Rooney isn’t doing it
but people think he’s making the call on the OC - after signing off on his promotion and previous two seasons?
C’mon
Tomlin seems pretty content with the staff he has and has had. But I get it it’s everyone’s fault but Mike Tomlin

Reactions: Dan1911
I want an owner whose stated goal is championships, not simply making the playoffs. And every time I hear Rooney state this ridiculous goal, I want to punch my tv. No one remembers who the 6th or 7th best team in the conference is.
In competitive shooting, the mantra is “aim small, miss small”. If your aim is a very small window and you miss by a bit, an AFC championship or a superbowl loss is the result

If your aim is just to make the playoffs, missing your target means you’re out of the playoff and/or #Tomlining.

What is the standard?
What is the old saying? A guy starts a business and in that first generation it struggles. He turns it over to his son who grew up in the business and the son turns it into a success. When it turns over to the third generation, they know nothing about building a business and end up running it into the ground.

Jr. is satisfied with the checks rolling in and maintaining the comfortable lifestyle he has always known. In fact, he probably spends most of his time worrying about the continuation of family ownership and estate planning. NFL team ownership isn't exactly liquid when estate taxes come due. How many minority owners do the Steelers have now? How many did they have in the 70's?

Reactions: Dan1911 and Fk_Pitt
Given that Rooney had to finally step in on Canada, could it be possible that Tomlin is now finally on the hot seat?

Reactions: Dan1911
Tomlin seems pretty content with the staff he has and has had. But I get it it’s everyone’s fault but Mike Tomlin
As I said - Tomlin for all i care .
I’m not invested in him at all .
But I detailed above how small and cheap our coaching staff compared to others .
If you think it’s because Tomlin wants it that way -
I don’t know what to say

But I detailed above how small and cheap our coaching staff compared to others .
I don’t know what to say
Pharm, I thought you were a Tomlin guy. Not a criticism, just an observation. I thought you defended him on here pretty regularly.

Tomlin is/was a good coach, but I believe his message is stale and his results the last ten years tend to support that.

Pharm, I thought you were a Tomlin guy. Not a criticism, just an observation. I thought you defended him on here pretty regularly.

Tomlin is/was a good coach, but I believe his message is stale and his results the last ten years tend to support that.
I think he’s a very good coach and he gets criticized for non-coaching things regularly - for reasons.
Kevin Colbert sucked as a GM for a decade for instance , but was never the lightning rod Tomlin is for the roster

It’s like conspiracy theorist who both simultaneously claim the government is incompetent and also capable of grand coverups for decades with no leaks .

Tomlin has flaws. Time management for instance .

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I don’t know what to say
once again do you really think a guy with the high profile that Tomlin has is going to remain silent and have his career sabotaged by a cheap owner ? You don’t know what to say because there is zero logical basis for saying a coach like Tomlin would accept being hamstrung by an owner Like all successful head coaches he has a huge ego and is no wallflower

You say you don’t care about Tomlin but you keep tripping over yourself deflecting blame from his awful personnel decisions

I think he’s a very good coach and he gets criticized for non-coaching things regularly - for reasons.
Kevin Colbert sucked as a GM for a decade for instance , but was never the lightning rod Tomlin is for the roster

It’s like conspiracy theorist who both simultaneously claim the government is incompetent and also capable of grand coverups for decades with no leaks .

Tomlin has flaws. Time management for instance .

once again do you really think a guy with the high profile that Tomlin has is going to remain silent and have his career sabotaged by a cheap owner ? You don’t know what to say because there is zero logical basis for saying a coach like Tomlin would accept being hamstrung by an owner Like all successful head coaches he has a huge ego and is no wallflower

You say you don’t care about Tomlin but you keep tripping over yourself deflecting blame from his awful personnel decisions
Who pays Tomlin ?
The Rooney’s
You think bad mouthing his owner publicly is something anyone is allowed to do ?
Hint :see Brian Flores

You guys simply aren’t using logic at all.

Who pays Tomlin ?
The Rooney’s
You think bad mouthing his owner publicly is something anyone is allowed to do ?
Hint :see Brian Flores

You guys simply aren’t using logic at all.
Ok so what you’re saying is tomlin is a wall flower. Gotcha. He has no national support from the media to leverage better coaches.

The Mike Tomlin apology tour continues. This is a most as good as your post blaming Mason Cole for the Cardinals 99 yard touchdown drive. But I guess Rooney is at fault for playing Cole in the DL. Lol

Ok so what you’re saying is tomlin is a wall flower. Gotcha. He has no national support from the media to leverage better coaches.

The Mike Tomlin apology tour continues. This is a most as good as your post blaming Mason Cole for the Cardinals 99 yard touchdown drive. But I guess Rooney is at fault for playing Cole in the DL. Lol
I didn’t blame him for that drive - you silly goose
You don’t comprehend very well .
Go ahead and quote me saying it

Let the Rooney fire tomlin
Will the next coach get 28 coaches like the other contenders in the nfl or remain with 16 -17 as they have for decades , as a result ?

Let’s be clear - you think the poor and small staff , the variable is Tomlin.

I didn’t blame him for that drive - you silly goose
You don’t comprehend very well .
Go ahead and quote me saying it

Let the Rooney fire tomlin
Will the next coach get 28 coaches like the other contenders in the nfl or remain with 16 -17 as they have for decades , as a result ?

Let’s be clear - you think the poor and small staff , the variable is Tomlin.
Go back and read your moronic post dopey. I wasnt the only one to call you out on that

As for tomlin he’s the one who hires and fires the coaches. Aren’t you the one who said Tomlin fired Canada and Not that cheap ass Rooney ? Oh wait it’s Rooney who is holding your boy back

So yeah he’s responsible for the staff HE assembled just like the next coach would be.

Go back and read your moronic post dopey. I wasnt the only one to call you out on that

As for tomlin he’s the one who hires and fires the coaches. Aren’t you the one who said Tomlin fired Canada and Not that cheap ass Rooney ? Oh wait it’s Rooney who is holding your boy back

So yeah he’s responsible for the staff HE assembled just like the next coach would be.
Just quote me saying what you claimed .
I won’t hold my breathe

According to others - Rooney fired Canada - so apparently it’s not up to Tomlin

I’m going to step in where I’m not welcome and state that Souf is similar to the local media. The national media are all still smitten with Tomlin, but the local media are finally all able to see through Coach Charisma and the WWE taglines after several years of slobbering over his greatness. Souf has come around and sees Tomlin for what he is and that’s I thing more than a good coach.

I’ve been saying here for years that Tomlin is neither as bad or as great as people say. He’s fine. He’s just not great like the Seth Greenberg and former NFL players at espn says he is. He gets the same results as Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton. Almost to a tee.

And while I respect Tomlin, I do wonder if Payton or McCarthy would actually have this franchise in a better place. But I have no way of knowing.

I’m going to step in where I’m not welcome and state that Souf is similar to the local media. The national media are all still smitten with Tomlin, but the local media are finally all able to see through Coach Charisma and the WWE taglines after several years of slobbering over his greatness. Souf has come around and sees Tomlin for what he is and that’s I thing more than a good coach.

I’ve been saying here for years that Tomlin is neither as bad or as great as people say. He’s fine. He’s just not great like the Seth Greenberg and former NFL players at espn says he is. He gets the same results as Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton. Almost to a tee.

And while I respect Tomlin, I do wonder if Payton or McCarthy would actually have this franchise in a better place. But I have no way of knowing.
It’s fajr
Tomlin and Cowher are mirror images in their careers

As I said -Rooney can fire Tomlin tomorrow and I won’t say a word or shed a gear

This isn’t a Dixon situation , where anyone with a brain knew we’d drop off

The NFL is more about the GM building a team than a coach , let’s be honest

It’s fajr

As I said -Rooney can fire Tomlin tomorrow and I won’t say a word or shed a gear

I can’t remember as far back as the ray Sherman OC tenure here. I can’t remember how long it lasted. But I think Cowher and/or Dan Rooney recognized that it was time to send him packing a lot quicker than it’s taken Tomlin/Rooney with Canada. But IMO if Cowher were here now, Canada wouldn’t have been hired and he certainly wouldn’t have been retained for another year.

It’s fajr

Regular season, yes. Playoffs, no.

Tomlin - 4 seasons with a playoff win out of 16 (won a game in 4 of 10 appearances), 8-9 playoff record, 3 AFC Championship game appearances, longest playoff winless drought since before the dynasty (6 seasons and counting)

Cowher - 8 seasons with a playoff win out of 15 (won a game in 8 of 10 appearances), 12-9 playoff record, 6 AFC Championship game appearances, never went longer than 3 seasons without a playoff win

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT