ADVERTISEMENT

OT: the Bucs don’t look terrible

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
4-1 win over the Red Sox moves them to 3-2 through five games. A few thoughts,

- Reynolds is on absolute fire to begin 2023. He actually wants to be here so they need to get him locked up ASAP
- If Castro isn’t the answer at 2B, Bae (unfortunately) looks to be a very viable option. Good glove and bat so far
- Jose Hernandez could be a Rule 5 Diamond in the rough for the Bucs. Might be a nice left reliever, which is much-needed after a number of prospects haven’t panned out (eg., Crowe)

Cruz has also homered and Hayes is off to a decent start offensively. Hedges being placed on the IL doesn’t help but might expedite Endy Rodriguez’ arrival in Pittsburgh. RF remains a question mark with a couple different options.

I don’t think they’re going to make the playoffs, but they aren’t going to lose 100 games again, either.

You meant Bae is fortunately a viable option.
Fortunate that he’s a viable option, unfortunate that he’s a convicted domestic abuser. But, I suppose that’s a different topic for a different thread. He did make a great play tonight while playing the outfield.

Last edited:
Fortunate that he’s a viable option, unfortunate the he’s a convicted domestic abuse. But, I suppose that’s a different topic for a different thread. He did make a great play tonight while playing the outfield.

Say what…what did he do?

Say what…what did he do?
This was about six years ago now, but he was found guilty of assaulting his girlfriend (choking, kicking). Was suspended 30 games at the minor league level (link).

Apparently it hasn’t stopped him from making it to the big leagues, but I’d imagine his past will rear its ugly head on this team if he ever breaks out or we start winning again.

Reactions: 303vND

- Reynolds is on absolute fire to begin 2023. He actually wants to be here so they need to get him locked up ASAP
- If Castro isn’t the answer at 2B, Bae (unfortunately) looks to be a very viable option. Good glove and bat so far
- Jose Hernandez could be a Rule 5 Diamond in the rough for the Bucs. Might be a nice left reliever, which is much-needed after a number of prospects haven’t panned out (eg., Crowe)

Cruz has also homered and Hayes is off to a decent start offensively. Hedges being placed on the IL doesn’t help but might expedite Endy Rodriguez’ arrival in Pittsburgh. RF remains a question mark with a couple different options.

I don’t think they’re going to make the playoffs, but they aren’t going to lose 100 games again, either.
No, but the Red Sox do...haha!!

kebyran hayes has one hit this year.

i agree with the rest but Hayes is awful offensively so far..

This was about six years ago now, but he was found guilty of assaulting his girlfriend (choking, kicking). Was suspended 30 games at the minor league level (link).

Apparently it hasn’t stopped him from making it to the big leagues, but I’d imagine his past will rear its ugly head on this team if he ever breaks out or we start winning again.
6 years ago lol? Who cares..

Way way too early. But I'm pleased at being 3-2 with Reynolds being the only player hitting. Cruz is doing ok. Everyone else has been pretty bad. The bullpen looks like it could be a bright spot.

I'll hold off on judgement until we play about 16 games. 10% of the season. But I have really enjoyed watching the past couple of games.

Reactions: 303vND
kebyran hayes has one hit this year.

i agree with the rest but Hayes is awful offensively so far..
Yeah. I was going to reply about that too. Hitting .100. But the sample size is small. He'll come around. He may not be a 300 hitter. But he certainly ain't a 100 hitter either.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Yeah. I was going to reply about that too. Hitting .100. But the sample size is small. He'll come around. He may not be a 300 hitter. But he certainly ain't a 100 hitter either.
agree. he's getting good contact. actually had two well hit balls to right center last night that had they played in a real park and not this wiffle ball field that is fenway, could have been gap shot doubles..

Reactions: mike 301
6 years ago lol? Who cares..

I’m not going to say who cares but we’ve gotten to the point where people tend to overlook a lot of crap to root for their team. I tend to be a guy who just focuses on winning and the off field stuff falls by the wayside. Hopefully he’s a changed individual.

Yeah Key is 2/16, but I think he looks fine at the plate.

Canaan Smith-Njigba looks better than I would have guessed. Ji-Man Choi and Santana will hopefully look a lot better than they do.

I said before this year that the Pirates are at the same place they were before 2011 and maybe a little better. This is a team that has a lot of maturing to do but it’s also a team without a lot of glaring weaknesses. The foundation is there. The bench is a lot deeper. I say offer Reynolds 8/120 (screw the opt out…that’s a bad deal for the Pirates). And then see if you can’t get something done with Cruz.

Will be exciting to see what this team can become when the high level pitching prospects and the two catchers make it to the bigs.

Reactions: 303vND and Ski11585
Yeah Key is 2/16, but I think he looks fine at the plate.

Canaan Smith-Njigba looks better than I would have guessed. Ji-Man Choi and Santana will hopefully look a lot better than they do.
is his brother the WR for ohio state?

I wouldn't get to excited quite yet. The Pirates do this same thing almost every year. The first third of the season, they play near or even slightly above the .500 mark (i.e. 28-26). Sparking interest from Pirates fans everywhere. The second third of the season, they play under the .500 mark (i.e. 22-32). The last third of the season, they play a little more under the .500 mark (i.e. 18-36) and end up in the same general area with 65-70 wins on the season.
The reality of it is, they will have another losing season. Whether they lose 100 or 90 games it really doesn't matter. Most MLB teams are trying to win the World Series every year and the Pirates are trying to just become a .500 baseball team and that is sad.
To make matters worse, there is a legitimate chance that they will trade away another top player (Bryan Reynolds) before the season ends and replace him with another aging player that they can find on the "cheap".
Being a Pitt sports fan can mentally be a very hard thing at times, being a Pirates fan is far worse.

I wouldn't get to excited quite yet. The Pirates do this same thing almost every year. The first third of the season, they play near or even slightly above the .500 mark (i.e. 28-26). Sparking interest from Pirates fans everywhere. The second third of the season, they play under the .500 mark (i.e. 22-32). The last third of the season, they play a little more under the .500 mark (i.e. 18-36) and end up in the same general area with 65-70 wins on the season.
The reality of it is, they will have another losing season. Whether they lose 100 or 90 games it really doesn't matter. Most MLB teams are trying to win the World Series every year and the Pirates are trying to just become a .500 baseball team and that is sad.
To make matters worse, there is a legitimate chance that they will trade away another top player (Bryan Reynolds) before the season ends and replace him with another aging player that they can find on the "cheap".
Being a Pitt sports fan can mentally be a very hard thing at times, being a Pirates fan is far worse.
once arms start getting injured in the starting rotation, bad things happen. that's my fear, our rotation. Contreras looked good last night and i am very optimistic about him. the others, not so much at all. Mitch keller isnt a #1, not now, not later this year, not ever. Sorry, it's not gonna happen..

We need to see priester and burrows this year, hopefully before the all star break. its time to see what we've got here with these two.

once arms start getting injured in the starting rotation, bad things happen. that's my fear, our rotation. Contreras looked good last night and i am very optimistic about him. the others, not so much at all. Mitch keller isnt a #1, not now, not later this year, not ever. Sorry, it's not gonna happen..

We need to see priester and burrows this year, hopefully before the all star break. its time to see what we've got here with these two.
I'm actually a little more encouraged with the depth of the starting rotation this year. I don't think we have any true top end talent, but I think we have 9 capable starters.

Keller, Bru, Velasquez, Oviedo, Roansy, Burrows, Priester, Ortiz, Hill.

I'm not speaking in terms of a playoff rotation just that I think on any given night we can win a July-August game with one of these guys.

The bullpen is smoke and mirrors right now and will hurt the team big time.

Am I the only one not sold on Cruz being a long-term shortstop? He's got the talent to play in the field, somewhere, but I'm not sure SS is the right place.
I'd be surprised if he stays at SS long term. With shifts banned you can't really hide guys defensively anymore. He's going to get bigger and won't have the range for the position. He'll be an OF eventually- I'd say third base but Hayes is there.

I'm actually a little more encouraged with the depth of the starting rotation this year. I don't think we have any true top end talent, but I think we have 9 capable starters.

Keller, Bru, Velasquez, Oviedo, Roansy, Burrows, Priester, Ortiz, Hill.

I'm not speaking in terms of a playoff rotation just that I think on any given night we can win a July-August game with one of these guys.

The bullpen is smoke and mirrors right now and will hurt the team big time.
im not holding my breath with Hill, he was throwing batting practice a few days ago.. middle aged lefties who cant top 90 is a scary proposition. he's got a pretty curve ball but man, these dudes were tee'ing off on him. i'd be shocked if he finishes the season..

i like brubaker, down as can be on Keller..

It's way to early to talk about this. The starting rotation is very short on talent, and the bullpen isn't great either. There is definitely potential in the lineup though. This team could still lose 100 games.

im not holding my breath with Hill, he was throwing batting practice a few days ago.. middle aged lefties who cant top 90 is a scary proposition. he's got a pretty curve ball but man, these dudes were tee'ing off on him. i'd be shocked if he finishes the season..

i like brubaker, down as can be on Keller..
Hill settled down after the first inning. Pitched 4 scoreless/hitless innings after that first dreadful inning.

You guys are hilarious.
dude, we live in pittsburgh and like baseball. give us a break. i know the pirates will undoubtedly let us down and be 34 games out of first place by the all star break but let us at least enjoy april..

what's the alternative? Not watch baseball? Root for the phillies? get a life by finding a useful hobby or hanging out with our family instead? None of these are acceptable alternatives to me..

dude, we live in pittsburgh and like baseball. give us a break. i know the pirates will undoubtedly let us down and be 34 games out of first place by the all star break but let us at least enjoy april..

what's the alternative? Not watch baseball? Root for the phillies? get a life by finding a useful hobby or hanging out with our family instead? None of these are acceptable alternatives to me..
You summed up the yinzer mentality perfectly. I can appreciate this POV

Still way, way too early to tell, though it’s encouraging they’re actually scoring some runs. Over the last few years they’ve had a decent record through April by winning games 2-1 and 3-2, which is never sustainable.

You summed up the yinzer mentality perfectly. I can appreciate this POV
Are you saying Zelda is being a yinzer or the poster he called out? Following the Pirates and not dismissing all talk about the team by saying “Nutting sucks” is about as far from yinzer as it gets these days.

Reactions: Parkview57
Are you saying Zelda is being a yinzer or the poster he called out? Following the Pirates and not dismissing all talk about the team by saying “Nutting sucks” is about as far from yinzer as it gets these days.
It was the tongue in cheek approach he utilized to convey the ridiculousness of the fandom

Yeah, this will obviously all come crashing back down to Earth soon enough. We've punched above our weight class early in the season a number of times over the years; then it's usually one long losing streak to restore normalcy, and we never recover from that.

Still an exciting time, though, just because we're seeing the future develop. I haven't been watching this year, but I'm having way more difficulty tracking the prospects now than I did back in the 2011/2012 days. Just seemed like we were hearing about McCutchen, Cole, Walker, Alvarez, and eventually Marte and Polanco for a long time, whereas now guys are coming form every freaking direction and it's tough to distinguish a "legit piece for the future" vs "some young dude who is playing."

It was the tongue in cheek approach he utilized to convey the ridiculousness of the fandom
is it any differnt than being a pitt football fan in the 90's or even late 80s? We knew Johnny Majors had literally dementia and we just re-hired him, watched us lose by 60 and 72 points in back to back weeks while he stood on the sidelines, incoherent to where he even was.. but we still were fans knowing that we had zero chance of winning..

it's called being a fan. you dont stop rooting for the team cause they arent good.. we were pitt hoops fans when 1/2 the team was in street clothes on the bench, under investigation from robbing a house earlier in the day.. yet we still watched those teams..

if that's yinzer then i am a yinzer..

Not sure how ridiculous being interested in the PIrates this year is?
They are in a rebuild under a new management team. There are some solid players on this roster, and a ton more one level down in Indianapolis.

They'll suck, until they don't. That's how a rebuild works.

When a few of these guys blossom and their contracts come up, we'll know how Nutting is going to approach the rebuilt team.

He's making a ton of $$ and the value of the team's equity is climbing to ridiculous levels. So he could certainly afford a decent payroll. Time will tell, but for now, these young guys are kinda fun to watch.

I think thier might be light at the end of tunnel. They have some high upside guys on the team and in the minors. Should be adding a potential star in Crews or one of those pitchers in the draft. feels 2011ish.

I think thier might be light at the end of tunnel. They have some high upside guys on the team and in the minors. Should be adding a potential star in Crews or one of those pitchers in the draft. feels 2011ish.
emilysquotes-com-amazing-great-inspirational-encouraging-light-end-tunnel-illusion-unknown.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT