ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tracy Chapman at the Grammy’s

can anyone name 3 songs that tracy chapman sang? I know of 2, fast car and the "give me one reason to stay here, and i'll turn right back around" song. that's it.

WIthout cheating, can anyone name a 3rd?

EDIT: i just cheated, talking about a revolution was a good one. that's 3. she actually re-did "Stand by me" that i liked too.
Yeah . I was only familiar with The give me one reason song .. Which I really like .

That's a lot of people paying $1.29 to buy/download the song.

Well she would also get a little bit of money every time someone plays it on a streaming service.

A wee little bit, but a wee little bit millions of times over eventually adds up to, like, $6.

Not a country fan. Heard the Name Tracy Chapman and also thought she was a guy…..

Never listen to country or folk. Not my genre
Were you over the age of 10 in 1988?

If so, it would have been pretty hard to avoid hearing that song.

I've never heard of, or heard, Luke Combs. But I damn sure know who Tracy Chapman is.

Reactions: Gep Dawg

I've never heard of, or heard, Luke Combs. But I damn sure know who Tracy Chapman is.
Also had one am radio station that played the pirates games but no music in my small northwest pa town. No cable or satellite TV for me until mid 90s. Had CBS, ABC, NBC, and PBS for most of my childhood

36 years later and her performance with Luke Combs of “Fast Car” was just unbelievable. To me, she actually sounds richer with age. She looked great.
I heard Combs version and had to give it a few seconds to let it take. A great choice for him, unique, a bit different.

Guessing there's not a lot of music on the stations you spend most of your time listening to.
My car/phone has 6 preset SiriusXM channels I split time with:

56 The Highway (country music) - 5%
59 No Shoes Radio (country music+) - 15%
111 Triumph - 30%
114 Fox News - 5%
124 POTUS Politics - 20%
127 SiriusXM Progress -25%

As I already said, I'm not much into music.

Sorry, but I was 32 in '88 and I never of Chapman until Combs made her song a hit in country.

i love how people are upset at someone for not knowing who tracy freaking chapman is. who gives a Sh*t. she had 3 good songs in the late 80s, she's not exactly the king of pop..
Yeah, its dumber that people don't know who Luke Combs and Jason Aldean are.

i like Chapman's version better, and im a country music fan.. when artists re-make a song, they need to change it somehow, someway. he basically just "covered" it, not remade it, if that makes sense. Like he was at a karaoke bar just trying to completely imitate Chapman..

Not complaining, it's a good song and luke has a good voice, just think he could have added something or tried something with it.

but hey, he made a killing off of it so what do i know.
The Tracy Chapman version is timeless

As for covers, i agree with your thoughts on "different "

Btw.....check out Chris Stapleton's cover of Metallica "nothing else matters".

Terrific cover......

Terrific cover......
yeah, we need to have a thread on here with best (and worst) covers. i'll check that one out..

Terrific cover......
man, never heard that one. ok. im gonna have to let this resonate, marinate a bit before i say. I think i really like it but need to give it a few minutes..

It def is different.

i love how people are upset at someone for not knowing who tracy freaking chapman is. who gives a Sh*t. she had 3 good songs in the late 80s, she's not exactly the king of pop..
Well I think you’re reading way too much into it.

I commented on it because the song was so popular it’s hard to believe. But it’s a huge leap to get to upset ffs.

man, never heard that one. ok. im gonna have to let this resonate, marinate a bit before i say. I think i really like it but need to give it a few minutes..

It def is different.

I generally can’t stand country. But Stapleton is so talented I think I’d give a listen to anything he does.

Kinda reminds me of Chris Cornell but with a twang.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Well I think you’re reading way too much into it.

I commented on it because the song was so popular it’s hard to believe. But it’s a huge leap to get to upset ffs.
lol, not upset, i like it. there are a few covers that actually upset me, not even kidding.

how about this one, it literally offends me that it was produced. i want everyone involved in this travesty, punched in the face..

You said people are upset that some don’t know who Chapman is. I don’t think anyone is upset, just surprised because that song was everywhere. Not sure where to draw the line exactly but of course it’s age dependent.
dude, it was 30 years ago, a song, i mean, it's not that crazy. she was relevant from 1988 to about 1992(ish). most posters werent even born yet when she faded out of the spotlight..

My car/phone has 6 preset SiriusXM channels I split time with:

56 The Highway (country music) - 5%
59 No Shoes Radio (country music+) - 15%
111 Triumph - 30%
114 Fox News - 5%
124 POTUS Politics - 20%
127 SiriusXM Progress -25%

As I already said, I'm not much into music.
You must be a complete joy at parties and to hang around with. I mean, I would rather have beers with Souf or SMF because at least the conversation would be more interesting.

You must be a complete joy at parties and to hang around with. I mean, I would rather have beers with Souf or SMF because at least the conversation would be more interesting.
dude, you'd want to kill yourself before you finished the first beer.

just kidding fellas, both seem like knowledgeable pitt sports fans.

Almost no one I know listens to music that you would. My in-laws and mother listen to Christian music. My friends listen to 60's music. It is not a priority for any of them. The fact that I don't listen to music hasn't impacted my ability to socialize. I also don't drink beer, so you can hang with Souf and SMF all you want. But generally, the ability and willingness to listen to others makes people want to socialize with someone. It has nothing to do with whatever you are implying.

Almost no one I know listens to music that you would. My in-laws and mother listen to Christian music. My friends listen to 60's music. It is not a priority for any of them. The fact that I don't listen to music hasn't impacted my ability to socialize. I also don't drink beer, so you can hang with Souf and SMF all you want. But generally, the ability and willingness to listen to others makes people want to socialize with someone. It has nothing to do with whatever you are implying.
And that's not you. You are the most miserable and boring person on this forum. Hence, "The Closer".

dude, it was 30 years ago, a song, i mean, it's not that crazy. she was relevant from 1988 to about 1992(ish). most posters werent even born yet when she faded out of the spotlight..
I would be curious if there was some sort of aggregation site that compiled the number of times a song was played on radio or satellite or downloaded over its lifetime compared to others. I fell like I have frequently heard that song over my lifetime but it just could be memory bias.

When do you ever show the wilingness or ability to listen to anyone ?

Folks who don’t listen to music are absolute weirdos to me

I would be curious if there was some sort of aggregation site that compiled the number of times a song was played on radio or satellite or downloaded over its lifetime compared to others. I fell like I have frequently heard that song over my lifetime but it just could be memory bias.
This is factual
I’d put 4 Non Blondes “What’s Up?” And A-Ha’s “Take on Me” in the same category

And that's not you. You are the most miserable and boring person on this forum. Hence, "The Closer".
LOL. Contrary to those who hate me on this site, I'm a leader in my community and very well-liked. It comes from having a good and optimistic attitude as well as being responsive when others have something to say. This forum doesn't really any of that. What you fail to recognize is that a critical thinker dissects what is being said and can respond in a conversation to develop and advance the discussion. That works great in face-to-face situations. It doesn't work so great here. My critical thinking leads to challenges of surface-level inanities that expose the stupidity of some posters. I'm proud that you don't like me. That means I've exposed you.

Why should I listen to someone who thinks of me as a weirdo? I see nothing to gain with that kind of person.

The only poster that I've every encountered that has never been wrong regardless of topic and is willing to die on every hill he encounters. Just a dour, misanthropic dude. He's the Uncle you avoid at family gatherings.

The only poster that I've every encountered that has never been wrong regardless of topic and is willing to die on every hill he encounters. Just a dour, misanthropic dude. He's the Uncle you avoid at family gatherings.
Are you looking in a mirror?

LOL. Contrary to those who hate me on this site, I'm a leader in my community and very well-liked. It comes from having a good and optimistic attitude as well as being responsive when others have something to say. This forum doesn't really any of that. What you fail to recognize is that a critical thinker dissects what is being said and can respond in a conversation to develop and advance the discussion. That works great in face-to-face situations. It doesn't work so great here. My critical thinking leads to challenges of surface-level inanities that expose the stupidity of some posters. I'm proud that you don't like me. That means I've exposed you.
Lots of words to say “I’m an internet troll”
That tends to bleed into real life as well

Hard to believe you’re a community leader while perpetually online

Yeah, you're the only one with critical thinking skills on this anonymous message board. Your community must suck, because you're an insufferable, pompous bore.

Ya proved my point
Your previous post is nonsense .
Actually, I proved my point. "Listening" here is reading. I read every word and respond accordingly. You seem to think that "listening" means accepting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT