ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tracy Chapman at the Grammy’s

Lots of words to say “I’m an internet troll”
That tends to bleed into real life as well

Hard to believe you’re a community leader while perpetually online
I'm multi-talented. What can I say? Btw, I'm here less than you imply. There are many days I don't post anything.

I find much about you to be unbelievable as well. But not in a good way.

Yeah, you're the only one with critical thinking skills on this anonymous message board. Your community must suck, because you're an insufferable, pompous bore.
Thanks. From you, that's a compliment.

I'm multi-talented. What can I say? Btw, I'm here less than you imply. There are many days I don't post anything.

I find much about you to be unbelievable as well. But not in a good way.
LOL. Contrary to those who hate me on this site, I'm a leader in my community and very well-liked. It comes from having a good and optimistic attitude as well as being responsive when others have something to say. This forum doesn't really any of that. What you fail to recognize is that a critical thinker dissects what is being said and can respond in a conversation to develop and advance the discussion. That works great in face-to-face situations. It doesn't work so great here. My critical thinking leads to challenges of surface-level inanities that expose the stupidity of some posters. I'm proud that you don't like me. That means I've exposed you.
As I said
You’re an admitted internet troll, as you never advance a conversation nor even add anything or consider any other perspectives

Even when offered free club seats to actually attend a game

LOL. Contrary to those who hate me on this site, I'm a leader in my community and very well-liked. It comes from having a good and optimistic attitude as well as being responsive when others have something to say. This forum doesn't really any of that. What you fail to recognize is that a critical thinker dissects what is being said and can respond in a conversation to develop and advance the discussion. That works great in face-to-face situations. It doesn't work so great here. My critical thinking leads to challenges of surface-level inanities that expose the stupidity of some posters. I'm proud that you don't like me. That means I've exposed you.
Humble too!
62088a11-c30a-4138-b3a9-fe7f2f08c25c_text.gif

Zombie by Bad Wolves. Originally by The cranberries.

You may already know this, but before she died Dolores O'Riordan heard their version of the song and liked it so much that she agreed to come in to the studio and sing with them on the version of the song that was going to be released. When she died in a London hotel, she was there because that was the day she was going into the studio to record her part.

Reactions: Pittgolf1971
As I said
You’re an admitted internet troll, as you never advance a conversation nor even add anything or consider any other perspectives

Even when offered free club seats to actually attend a game
This is the kind of post that does not advance any conversation because it claims I said something I never said.

Interesting to read this thread at this point. A good one that devolved into some weird pissing match. As to the original topic, haven't seen the duet yet. Will have to track it down. Age dependent? For sure. If you were a 20-something when the song broke out, I'd guess you knew it. Another example of an obscure artist having the inspiration, brilliance, or good fortune to put together a classic that took off and got the necessary airplay to ascend. But, ya, it was a pretty huge sone back in the day.

Don't know Luke Combs, and even if he does a great job on it, it would be hard for me to hold it above Chapman's iconic version. Kind of like Darius Rucker bringing back Wagon Wheel. Sorry, Hootie, Old Crow did it better. Of course, wouldn't have minded hearing Dylan finish it and put it out himself, but Old Crow did a mighty good job with that one. Nothing wrong with Covers/Remakes, but they don't frequently add much more than reintroducing a good song to a new generation of consumers.

Reactions: eyebugs
Another great cover in my opinion:

Zombie by Bad Wolves. Originally by The cranberries.

Also The Sound of Silence by Disturbed.
Man I hate both of those covers. Saw bad wolves earlier this year and they were a big yawn for me. I am not a fan of fratboy bro rock. But apparently they are a popular band.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Interesting to read this thread at this point. A good one that devolved into some weird pissing match. As to the original topic, haven't seen the duet yet. Will have to track it down. Age dependent? For sure. If you were a 20-something when the song broke out, I'd guess you knew it. Another example of an obscure artist having the inspiration, brilliance, or good fortune to put together a classic that took off and got the necessary airplay to ascend. But, ya, it was a pretty huge sone back in the day.

Don't know Luke Combs, and even if he does a great job on it, it would be hard for me to hold it above Chapman's iconic version. Kind of like Darius Rucker bringing back Wagon Wheel. Sorry, Hootie, Old Crow did it better. Of course, wouldn't have minded hearing Dylan finish it and put it out himself, but Old Crow did a mighty good job with that one. Nothing wrong with Covers/Remakes, but they don't frequently add much more than reintroducing a good song to a new generation of consumers.
man, i will very respectfully agree to disagree with you on wagon wheel. Rucker's remake on it is one of the few rare examples of a vast improvement..

Sort of sped it up, added some "rock" feel to it to make it soo much better. again, in my opinion.

man, i will very respectfully agree to disagree with you on wagon wheel. Rucker's remake on it is one of the few rare examples of a vast improvement..

Sort of sped it up, added some "rock" feel to it to make it soo much better. again, in my opinion.
Well, as long as you "very respectfully" disagreed. LOL I prefer the Old Crow version, but can live with Rucker's, too. Still have to track down this duet version of Fast Cars.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Well, as long as you "very respectfully" disagreed. LOL I prefer the Old Crow version, but can live with Rucker's, too. Still have to track down this duet version of Fast Cars.
we've had our share of "best pizza in pittsburgh" threads and "best beers" and best movies and best whatever and people come off and say, YOu are wrong, im right, blah blah and it comes off as ridiculous since it's all subjective so that's why i say i respectfully disagree and dont make definitive statements on such topics..

Same -
Rare covers which are improvements
Hendrix all along the watchtower
Cash “hurt “
Janis - “ me and Bobby McGhee”

That’s the list
I really like Social Distortion’s “under my thumb”
And DMB “ watchtower “ version on red rocks
Korn covering “Wicked”
Too

Same -
Rare covers which are improvements
Hendrix all along the watchtower
Cash “hurt “
Janis - “ me and Bobby McGhee”

That’s the list
I really like Social Distortion’s “under my thumb”
And DMB “ watchtower “ version on red rocks
Korn covering “Wicked”
Too
Let me also add Alien Ant Farm “smooth criminal “

I believe this thread now has nothing to do with Tracy Chapman or Luke c. At this point, this is simply the latest skirmish in a proxy war between the two warring political factions on the board. Somehow, Tracy Chapman is the champion of the urban left in this one. Combs is the champion of the Everyman rightie. Must continually sideswipe each other in this turf war. Silly. I’m tired of it.

Chapman had a beautiful song and a Nice little run. Eons ago. Combs…I’m sure I’d know his music if I heard it. Whichever one you like, good for you.

Keep it civil.
What are you yammering about ?
Its a music discussion

You may already know this, but before she died Dolores O'Riordan heard their version of the song and liked it so much that she agreed to come in to the studio and sing with them on the version of the song that was going to be released. When she died in a London hotel, she was there because that was the day she was going into the studio to record her part.
I did not know that.

I have never understood why people say cash covering hurt is superior to the original...no it is not. Trent wrote such a deep song that lyrically was the opposite of the nihilistic downward spiral album. Cash's cover isn't bad....it's good...but it isn't superior to NIN

I have never understood why people say cash covering hurt is superior to the original...no it is not. Trent wrote such a deep song that lyrically was the opposite of the nihilistic downward spiral album. Cash's cover isn't bad....it's good...but it isn't superior to NIN
Well when it comes to music or any performance/art who’s to say? Things hit different. It’s all subjective.

tracy chapman is a phenomenon. just ungodly talented and her later albums were better than fast car.

Well when it comes to music or any performance/art who’s to say? Things hit different. It’s all subjective.
No 100% correct. That is absolutely true. I just find it interesting that the general public consensus is hurt with Johnny Cash is superior to the original. I disagree wholeheartedly. But is my opinion right and others wrong? Obviously yes. 😉

I believe it elevates the song with new perspective .
I love industrial music and downward spiral is a masterpiece .
Cash is hurting for a different reason - so his singing is amazing it’s not about the performance is superior
It’s that cash makes it so personal ..

Frankly, Trent agrees as well - it’s why he released it to cash

Last edited:
He confuses his opinions as facts frequently

But being the admitted troll he is -
Chimed in on a music thread to talk about himself (despite not even listening to music , himself )
Which was absolutely the height of irony.....because what he bragged on himself, revealed one of the most boring and boorish people I have ever come in contact with real or cyber.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Let me also add Alien Ant Farm “smooth criminal “
I have to strongly disagree with this one. I think that is a pointless poor cover that’s clearly a money grab. To your list I will add Aretha Franklin covering Otis Redding with Respect, the Talking Heads covering Al Green’s Take Me to the River and Crosby Stills and Nash bettering Joni Mitchell’s Woodstalk.

Trent Reznor himself said that song is no longer his.

Trent Reznor himself said that song is no longer his.
I would say that is Reznor paying respect to the legend that is the man in black. Reznor has achieved at the highest level. He can defer at this point in his career

Music, being subjective.....is subjective. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong. It's what ever you like or whatever moves you. I personally loved Luke Combs cover and thought the Grammy duet was wonderful

Reactions: Millerton24
I would say that is Reznor paying respect to the legend that is the man in black. Reznor has achieved at the highest level. He can defer at this point in his career
I’m just not the NIN fan that you are. He has a certain place in industrial history for sure, but his version of Hurt kinda borders on whiny. And now, when the world thinks of this song, they think of it as Cash’s.

I have to strongly disagree with this one. I think that is a pointless poor cover that’s clearly a money grab. To your list I will add Aretha Franklin covering Otis Redding with Respect, the Talking Heads covering Al Green’s Take Me to the River and Crosby Stills and Nash bettering Joni Mitchell’s Woodstalk.
pearl
jam covering just about anything but particularly crazy mary bob dylan and pink floyd

maxwell a woman's work > kate bush

george benson unchained melody

hendrix all along the watchtower

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT