ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Yohe leaves DK, joins the Athletic

Slick Manager of Champs

Heisman Candidate
Apr 22, 2007
very interesting. I was thinking of subscribing in order to keep reading Mandel. Apparently the Athletic is going to do local coverage in addition to national.

I like to seen Dejan fail. Very cocky, and haven't forgiven him for the come clean line. Plus he hired that nitter cheerleader and if you believe what Saunders days about him his site is also kind of unsavory.

Reactions: GenesPlace
very interesting. I was thinking of subscribing in order to keep reading Mandel. Apparently the Athletic is going to do local coverage in addition to national.

I like to seen Dejan fail. Very cocky, and haven't forgiven him for the come clean line. Plus he hired that nitter cheerleader and if you believe what Saunders days about him his site is also kind of unsavory.
You haven't forgiven him for Come Clean??

Considering how Barnes destroyed hoops... seems it was too kind phrase.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
Saw that too. Apparently he put it out on Twitter before he even told DK. Kinda funny how he stuck it to him on his way out.

I think the Pitt/Pittsburgh sports coverage has been alright, but I agree that he's a pretty unlikable guy.

You haven't forgiven him for Come Clean??

Considering how Barnes destroyed hoops... seems it was too kind phrase.

You're okay with Pittsburgh media exhibiting unprofessional behavior to our program? Why not ask James Franklin to come clean on what went on at Vandy?

If DK played all sides the same I wouldn't have a problem with it. But it was a typical Pittsburgh media low blow

When you're an ass your employees jump ship when they can.

You're okay with Pittsburgh media exhibiting unprofessional behavior to our program? Why not ask James Franklin to come clean on what went on at Vandy?

If DK played all sides the same I wouldn't have a problem with it. But it was a typical Pittsburgh media low blow
Considering the circumstances...
Yeah.

That whole hire was a sham, and Barnes the con man.

Sham aside, I am very interested in "The Athletic". What they have done is basically accumulated the best hockey writers from the biggest hockey markets and Canada. As a huge hockey fan, they have my interest.

Reactions: Jakey_John
Who are you guys discussing?

Josh Yohe (Pittsburgh hockey writer) joined Dejan Kovacevic’s (spelling?) site not long ago - left the Trib I believe. He’s already moved on to a venture called The Athletic which I never heard of prior to today.

And in case you don’t know Dejan wrote for one of the local rags as well but started his own outlet.

Dejan has been pretty dam successful with that move but he is a douchenozzle.

From DK:

I can’t believe I’m typing this, but Josh Yohe has left our company for another position locally.

I’m as stunned, maybe even more, than most of you will be. I had no idea. I was on the phone with Matt Sundayjust a few minutes ago, when he asked me if I saw what Josh had just posted on Twitter. My heart sank about six miles deep.

I understand it. More money is more money. And in the case of his new employer, they’re burning through seed money like there’s no tomorrow, now handing out six-figure pay. Our own pay is at a level that’s at or higher than most media companies in America, and we’re proud of that. But we’re not in that range. We just aren’t.

Anyway, we’re obviously in the market for an elite hockey writer. That’s our goal. In all honesty, it’s going to take me a while to get over this, but there clearly isn’t much time before the first faceoff, and there will be plenty of work to do.

We’re meeting as a staff tonight here in the office to decide our next step.

As always, I’ll be in comments to answer anything and everything.

As a subscriber to DK this is a big blow to the site. Part of it is growing pains but I think DK started to get to big for his britches this radio idea was just stupid and doesn't increase his market. The pirate writer just left and now this DK better get the ship in order

Josh Yohe (Pittsburgh hockey writer) joined Dejan Kovacevic’s (spelling?) site not long ago - left the Trib I believe. He’s already moved on to a venture called The Athletic which I never heard of prior to today.

And in case you don’t know Dejan wrote for one of the local rags as well but started his own outlet.

Dejan has been pretty dam successful with that move but he is a douchenozzle.

Thank you.

As a subscriber to DK this is a big blow to the site. Part of it is growing pains but I think DK started to get to big for his britches this radio idea was just stupid and doesn't increase his market. The pirate writer just left and now this DK better get the ship in order
DK has a great site and I hope he succeeds. I enjoy Yohe's work, but there are good hockey writers in the market who will do well. I do think the Pitt coverage has been good and fair.

From DK:

I can’t believe I’m typing this, but Josh Yohe has left our company for another position locally.

I’m as stunned, maybe even more, than most of you will be. I had no idea. I was on the phone with Matt Sundayjust a few minutes ago, when he asked me if I saw what Josh had just posted on Twitter. My heart sank about six miles deep.

I understand it. More money is more money. And in the case of his new employer, they’re burning through seed money like there’s no tomorrow, now handing out six-figure pay. Our own pay is at a level that’s at or higher than most media companies in America, and we’re proud of that. But we’re not in that range. We just aren’t.

Anyway, we’re obviously in the market for an elite hockey writer. That’s our goal. In all honesty, it’s going to take me a while to get over this, but there clearly isn’t much time before the first faceoff, and there will be plenty of work to do.

We’re meeting as a staff tonight here in the office to decide our next step.

As always, I’ll be in comments to answer anything and everything.

Easy answer....hire Madden!

Madden will never leave The X. The X is still the Pens flagship in no small part because of him. They will throw a boat load of money at him if he even entertains an offer.

Madden will never leave The X. The X is still the Pens flagship in no small part because of him. They will throw a boat load of money at him if he even entertains an offer.
Nobody said he has to leave the X. He just signed a fresh 4 year extension. He can write for where ever he wants, just has to sever ties with the Beaver County Times.

Lol not to mention he's older and has literally said his goal this year is to "work less". Not gonna do that with DK. He'd never work for DK. They're just good together in their bickering when he has him on his show.

Used to like DK but the guy is just way too smug for my liking. Apparently him and his team met for two hours tonight and have a full announcement coming at 11. I'm sure he'll act like whatever his decision is/whoever he hired (if anyone) is the greatest ever.

Lol not to mention he's older and has literally said his goal this year is to "work less". Not gonna do that with DK. He'd never work for DK. They're just good together in their bickering when he has him on his show.

Used to like DK but the guy is just way too smug for my liking. Apparently him and his team met for two hours tonight and have a full announcement coming at 11. I'm sure he'll act like whatever his decision is/whoever he hired (if anyone) is the greatest ever.
That's totally true he has been doing a lot of complaining about working too much. He knows the big heart attack is coming.

I hope he sticks around for a while longer. Without him Pittsburgh sports talk is worse than bad. I've grown so used to listening to him over these last 20 years.

When DK is on, he is the best in Pittsburgh. The problem is, as many have mentioned, he is very full of himself.

Yohe is very well liked in the Penguins community, so this is a big blow to the site. In fact, he has been Dejan's biggest hire and really the No. 2 on the site, so losing him definitely has to hurt. Hockey gets the most reads on the site and he hinted he already had a new writer, but we'll see.

I'd consider subscribing, but I'd want to read about the Steelers and Pitt and although they have coverage for both, he hasn't convinced me that it's the best coverage. Kaboly never impressed me with the Trib, so that isn't going to get me to subscribe, and his other hires have been less than stellar. Add in the fact they treat the Pirates like a joke (deserved or not), it is a bad look.

I just threw up thinking they go after Rob Rossi.

DK is taking over the full time hockey beat now. Matt gaijhka or what ever his name is will also cover the Pens. They hired a chick to cover Wilkes and their Photographer is even going to go to road games. Also this..
• We're also in conversations with a couple of other people who could augment the coverage, but that wouldn't be from the staff standpoint. They'd be contributors.

Here is the full announcement
https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2017/09/21/introducing-newest-hockey-writer/

Cold Blooded

DKTFhZYWAAANffx.jpg

DK is taking over the full time hockey beat now. Matt gaijhka or what ever his name is will also cover the Pens. They hired a chick to cover Wilkes and their Photographer is even going to go to road games. Also this..
• We're also in conversations with a couple of other people who could augment the coverage, but that wouldn't be from the staff standpoint. They'd be contributors.

Here is the full announcement
https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2017/09/21/introducing-newest-hockey-writer/

I'd like to hire this chick to do more than just write about sports. Damn!

https://mobile.twitter.com/SaraCivian?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Psssst Hey DK, the genius Post Gazette tried to ramrod Dave Molinari out of this business by forcing him to cover Penn State. He is in the Hockey HOF. Would make perfect sense.

Cliff Note 's on what 'Come clean' refers too? I have no idea what it means.
Thanks in advance.

Cliff Note 's on what 'Come clean' refers too? I have no idea what it means.
Thanks in advance.

He started the Kevin Stallings introductory press conference with yelling "COME CLEAN" at Scott Barnes in regards to the coaching search. It was idiotic and unprofessional, yet it proved to be incredibly insightful.

Psssst Hey DK, the genius Post Gazette tried to ramrod Dave Molinari out of this business by forcing him to cover Penn State. He is in the Hockey HOF. Would make perfect sense.
The guy is like in his 60's. Also is a Nit grad (as is that girl you creepy old men (just kidding) were ogling over) and they're good/interesting again, so maybe he's ok with the new role. Less travel at least.

Not that I think I'd subscribe anyway, but idk, if you did subscribe to the Athletic, do you get access to the whole platform? Including all the college football stuff by Mandel and co.?

He started the Kevin Stallings introductory press conference with yelling "COME CLEAN" at Scott Barnes in regards to the coaching search. It was idiotic and unprofessional, yet it proved to be incredibly insightful.

Wow sounds like quite a scene. Kinda refreshing to see a Pittsburgh sportswriter outraged enough to demand the Pitt brass explain its incompetence for once.

Wow sounds like quite a scene. Kinda refreshing to see a Pittsburgh sportswriter outraged enough to demand the Pitt brass explain its incompetence for once.
That was my take.

Others are more sensitive.

Everyone senses there was quid pro quo with Ron Turner.
Barnes bolting within a year validated it.

I took a look at the Athletic yesterday for the first time. It's a really "clean" look. Zero ads. Especially compared to DK's site. He crams as many ads on there as humanly possible. Sometimes that site is very slow to load. I'm thinking its cause of all the ads.

It looks to me that if you subscribe to the Athletic you get the whole platform. Maybe someone that is actually a member can confirm.

Because they are hiring Yohe, I'm assuming they will have a "Pittsburgh" section, is that correct?

The guy is like in his 60's. Also is a Nit grad (as is that girl you creepy old men (just kidding) were ogling over) and they're good/interesting again, so maybe he's ok with the new role. Less travel at least.

Not that I think I'd subscribe anyway, but idk, if you did subscribe to the Athletic, do you get access to the whole platform? Including all the college football stuff by Mandel and co.?

Are we supposed to take her seriously as a reporter, or look at her cleavage?

Are we supposed to take her seriously as a reporter, or look at her cleavage?

Based on that pic, she and I are okay with me just doing one of those things.

Well I'm the only one here who could hit it, but yes you can stare at her cleavage. Just pretend its your normal lonely night out at Hooters.

Well I'm the only one here who could hit it, but yes you can stare at her cleavage. Just pretend its your normal lonely night out at Hooters.

I have no idea where that came from, but you might want to focus your projections on someone else, and not on me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT