ADVERTISEMENT

"Our state vs your neighborhood"

The state of West Virginia is like 20% Marshall fans, 20% Pitt fans, 15% Virginia Tech fans, 5% Clemson fans, 5% Maryland fans, and 35% WVU fans. So they have about 630k fans total. Of those, half don't really watch the games. So 315k. Of those, most only watch when it isn'tup hunting or kayaking season. So they have about 80k true fans. The only Pitt game game I went to down there had about 45k total. Most were Pitt fans, though.
Come on now.

Of all the college football fans in the state (and Comcast estimated 30% of people are sports fans/need sports channels), I would say its

80% WVU
10% Marshall
5% VT
5% bandwagon

In the Pittsburgh Metro Area, its like

60% Pitt
20% PSU
5% ND
5% OSU
5% WVU
5% bandwagon

No, that’s my point.

Our 2016 season was better than 2021 Pitt and it wasn’t a good season for us. We didn’t beat anybody. Although we also didn’t lose to a MAC program at home.
I'm in for a debate. Rank your wins/losses vs ours. I'm curious

I'm in for a debate. Rank your wins/losses vs ours. I'm curious
We certainly had the better wins, but I don’t think we can argue our 8-5 season was better than their 10-3 season.

Edit: Disregard, thought we were comparing 2016 seasons. Obviously our 2021 season was better than their 2016 season.

Last edited:
I will say that for as many legal issues as he’s had, I respect the fact that he took in his teammate (Chris Henry)’s kids after Henry passed away. That was pretty cool.

I didn't even realize that, but it is definitely cool.

Pacman, Burfict, Henry, Ochocinco, etc. Those Bengals teams were not without colorful personalities... to say the least.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Come on now.

Of all the college football fans in the state (and Comcast estimated 30% of people are sports fans/need sports channels), I would say its

80% WVU
10% Marshall
5% VT
5% bandwagon

In the Pittsburgh Metro Area, its like

60% Pitt
20% PSU
5% ND
5% OSU
5% WVU
5% bandwagon

There's a 0% chance ND and OSU are equal in Pittsburgh. I have never seen an OSU fan here. I'm serious... not even one. I've see fake Michigan fans, fake UNC and Duke basketball fans, etc. Not one OSU fan in 35 years of living in Pittsburgh. There are ND fans everywhere, though.

No, that’s my point.

Our 2016 season was better than 2021 Pitt and it wasn’t a good season for us. We didn’t beat anybody. Although we also didn’t lose to a MAC program at home.
I usually like your posts but c’mon, man.

- 2021 Pitt: 11-3 record, ACC championship, 1 ranked win, 3-2 versus teams with wining records
- 2016 WVU: 10-3 record, no conference championship, zero ranked wins, 3-3 versus teams with winning records

Reactions: lilspainishflea
We certainly had the better wins, but I don’t think we can argue our 8-5 season was better than their 10-3 season.

Edit: Disregard, thought we were comparing 2016 seasons. Obviously our 2021 season was better than their 2016 season.

I think 2016 is actually arguable. Toss out the bowl game, since we treated it like a Spring Game.

We were 8-4.

Wins against teams that finished #1 and #7.

Lost at #11 Oklahoma State by 7 (would have won if not for a storm and lightning delay that killed our momentum). WVU lost to them by 17 (they did keep the Miami game closer - lost by 17 to our 23 - but it was a bowl game)

Beat a 9-4 Georgia Tech team that beat Kentucky and Georgia.

Lost to 10-4 VT and 8-5 UNC by a total of 4 points.

So we lost three games by 11 points total. All three of which we could have easily won (It'd be tough to give a game away like that UNC game even if we tried).

Faced QBs: DeShaun Watson, Mason Rudolph, Daniel Jones, Mitch Trubisky, Trace McSorley, and Brad Kaaya.

So our W/L record wasn't as pretty, but we played a better schedule and beat more good teams. That should be factored in.

Oakland is probably 20% Pitt, 25% CMU, 15% Carlow and 20% Chatham and 20% Sandusky. 😉
Dumbass....couldn't find a parking space for your John Deere?? Indigenous tribes in the Amazon basin have better academics than wvu . Brush your tooth before you mow a Buckeye's lawn today.

• Haha
Reactions: lilspainishflea
It’s true. Yinzers don’t care about Pitt. It was a knock on a northern, north of MDL metro school. The number of people in your city is irrelevant. It’s referring to the interest being present on pretty much one small campus and that’s it. Everyone else is rooting for Sandusky and the Steelers.

This rivalry wouldn’t be a rivalry if it started in 2000 or whatever. And that’s because you’re essentially BC or Louisville or Cincinnati. Small metro school that is beneath a larger state flagship school (in terms of fan interest…not academics). However, you can’t deny over 100 years of rivalry or geography. Both matter.

VT would be our only rival if the Brawl didn’t start long ago.

And one more thing…I’ve seen on other threads that Pitt fans are only expecting 10-15k WVU fans at the game. If we have that many fans then that’s an indictment and embarrassment to your fans and program. You just came off of a conference title that means everything in the world to you because it’s like the first one ever. You better hope we don’t have 10k fans there. That will be embarrassing.

This is your first test in a season that has tons of expectations (relatively speaking…for Pitt). Let’s gooooooo Mountaineers!

We live rent free in your head, which is a single wide trailer.

There's a 0% chance ND and OSU are equal in Pittsburgh. I have never seen an OSU fan here. I'm serious... not even one. I've see fake Michigan fans, fake UNC and Duke basketball fans, etc. Not one OSU fan in 35 years of living in Pittsburgh. There are ND fans everywhere, though.
Are you kidding? It depends where you work or live. In the suburbs, there are tons of Ohio State alum/fans. Its an enormous school 3 hours away. They have a quietly big fanbase here. For me, the opposite is true as I cant think of 1 WVU fan I've ever known. If you're working in oil fields or some blue collar job, I suspect you'd see more WVU fans.

Now, down in Fayette, Greene, southern Washington County, you will see WVU fans but that's not really "part" of Pittsburgh.

Are you kidding? It depends where you work or live. In the suburbs, there are tons of Ohio State alum/fans. Its an enormous school 3 hours away. They have a quietly big fanbase here. For me, the opposite is true as I cant think of 1 WVU fan I've ever known. If you're working in oil fields or some blue collar job, I suspect you'd see more WVU fans.

I don't know any WVU fans either, other than the flags I see outside houses in Fayette and Washington counties, which aren't Pittsburgh. I'm only assuming they exist here because of the proximity.

Are these OSU fans younger? I live in the suburbs and haven't seen any. And I don't remember ever seeing any from back when I went to school. Maybe their recent success has created some... ? I'm just speaking from personal experience: Don't think I've ever seen an OSU fan around Pittsburgh.

Dumbass....couldn't find a parking space for your John Deere?? Indigenous tribes in the Amazon basin have better academics than wvu . Brush your tooth before you mow a Buckeye's lawn today.
Nice work here! 👍👍👍

Oakland is probably 20% Pitt, 25% CMU, 15% Carlow and 20% Chatham and 20% Sandusky. 😉

What is it with you hoopies? Are you all this dumb and ignorant? Do you ever go outside your own little hoopie, backwoods, inbred world?

If you think you're so smart, and you're obviously not, how many real college football National Championships has wvu won? Not one of you cowards can answer that question and I assume you can't either. You have lots of wind blowing down there in hoopieville with nothing to back it up. You're all a bunch of blowhards.

I don't know any WVU fans either, other than the flags I see outside houses in Fayette and Washington counties, which aren't Pittsburgh. I'm only assuming they exist here because of the proximity.

Are these OSU fans younger? I live in the suburbs and haven't seen any. And I don't remember ever seeing any from back when I went to school. Maybe their recent success has created some... ? I'm just speaking from personal experience: Don't think I've ever seen an OSU fan around Pittsburgh.
Definitely a lot of WVU fans here in Fayettenam. I would say it is equal Pitt/WVU if not tilted a bit towards WVU. Bottom line, their campus is close to a lot of the county.

Definitely a lot of WVU fans here in Fayettenam. I would say it is equal Pitt/WVU if not tilted a bit towards WVU. Bottom line, their campus is close to a lot of the county.

Yeah, there's no doubt they're in Fayette and Washington, which makes sense. But Allegheny? Eh, I can't say I see many of them. There were a few dudes from my school who went to Bethany College to play baseball and they rooted for WVU while they were down there, because WVU had a good team at the time (kind of like a Duquesne student might latch onto Pitt when we have some buzz going). But I guarantee none of them are still keeping up with the WVU football program.

I dated a chick who lived in Fayette County. Everything about it is closer to WVU than Pitt, other than the state it's in.

WVU had PacMan Jones to narrate, I guess having Pat McAfee would have been awkward? Pitt has Lou Riddick. What a huge step-up in representation lol
I honestly feel bad for McAfee. I get the sense that he loves WVU but doesn’t feel the same way in return. He said he contemplated suicide after 13-9 because of the amount of death threats he received.

2016 was NOT a memorable season at all for WVU. That’s the point.

However, it was a better season than last year was for Pitt. You lost to a bottom feeder team in a bottom feeder conference in your desolate stadium. You beat a school in the conference title game that has the attendance of Dublin Coffman High School.

Finally, no one is even certain that it happened because you drew the most embarrassing conference title game number in the playoff era. And it was on network TV! People were actively turning the channel.

Do you also stand in the mirror naked look at your man tits and gut and go "yeah brad pitts go nothing on this"
The black lung has migrated to your brain

I honestly feel bad for McAfee. I get the sense that he loves WVU but doesn’t feel the same way in return. He said he contemplated suicide after 13-9 because of the amount of death threats he received.
Just said on Tweeter that I feel bad for McAfee about 13-9. My kid is a kicker/punter too so I empathize.

The state of West Virginia is like 20% Marshall fans, 20% Pitt fans, 15% Virginia Tech fans, 5% Clemson fans, 5% Maryland fans, and 35% WVU fans. So they have about 630k fans total. Of those, half don't really watch the games. So 315k. Of those, most only watch when it isn't hunting or kayaking season. So they have about 80k true fans. The only Pitt game game I went to down there had about 45k total. Most were Pitt fans, though.
Your post is as absurd as the bit about WVU having 75% of the fans tonight.

As an aside, WVU should be in the ACC. With the conferences all mashing together and seeking the almighty dollar, it's time to forget about the academics crap and grab every logical school with a decent lineage for the ATHLETIC conferences. Maryland should come back also, but we know they ain't giving up the welfare that OSU provides them.

That Facebook Fan Map from 2011 or whenever had Fayettenam as PSU 1, Pitt a close 2nd, WVU a close 3rd. I think that's where WVU gets all this "we own Pittsburgh" stuff. Yea, there are a good number of WVU fans in Fayette, Greene, and southern Washington county. BUT THAT'S NOT PITTSBURGH. That's basically Pennsyltucky. I think anyone WVU grad who has become successful moves to Uniontown or Connellsville and then when they see other WVU fans in their area, they feel like they own a city 50 miles north.

Do you also stand in the mirror naked look at your man tits and gut and go "yeah brad pitts go nothing on this"
The black lung has migrated to your brain

I mean, let's not act like we don't all have our mirror moments. I was dancing in front of mine last night asking myself, "Would you ____ me?" before I tossed some chick a bottle of Lubridem and instructed her to apply it generously to her skin.

Your post is as absurd as the bit about WVU having 75% of the fans tonight.

You think it's 25% Marshall? You might be right... I forgot to account for a few of the native Appalachian tribes when conducting my census. Frankly, some of the draw bridges I'd have had to cross did not look very safe. And the skulls on wooden sticks weren't so inviting either, if I'm being honest.

It’s true. Yinzers don’t care about Pitt. It was a knock on a northern, north of MDL metro school. The number of people in your city is irrelevant. It’s referring to the interest being present on pretty much one small campus and that’s it. Everyone else is rooting for Sandusky and the Steelers.

This rivalry wouldn’t be a rivalry if it started in 2000 or whatever. And that’s because you’re essentially BC or Louisville or Cincinnati. Small metro school that is beneath a larger state flagship school (in terms of fan interest…not academics). However, you can’t deny over 100 years of rivalry or geography. Both matter.

VT would be our only rival if the Brawl didn’t start long ago.

And one more thing…I’ve seen on other threads that Pitt fans are only expecting 10-15k WVU fans at the game. If we have that many fans then that’s an indictment and embarrassment to your fans and program. You just came off of a conference title that means everything in the world to you because it’s like the first one ever. You better hope we don’t have 10k fans there. That will be embarrassing.

This is your first test in a season that has tons of expectations (relatively speaking…for Pitt). Let’s gooooooo Mountaineers!
I live in Bluefield WV and nobody here gives 2 F about WVU, it’s all VT in WV

You think it's 25% Marshall? You might be right... I forgot to account for a few of the native Appalachian tribes when conducting my census. Frankly, some of the draw bridges I'd have had to cross did not look very safe. And the skulls on wooden sticks weren't so inviting either, if I'm being honest.
The skulls are more receptive to outsiders if you click your heels three times and say, "wanny, wanny, coochie ma coochie then say 13-9 in Spanish. Otherwise, you could find yourself way out in the wilderness and get paterno poopie pants.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT