ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt athletics....a new and overdue era is upon us

Saboteur

All Conference
Jan 15, 2015
Many places. but not all
I was hoping Pitt1982 would do a musings....those are always good. But until he does, here are my thoughts on the events of the last 4 months.

1. To say that Gallagher "gets it" is an understatement. He also gets more than most. If you are going to do something, go out and hire the best people to do it.

2. My personal complaint is that Pitt athletics never had a goal or vision....everybody wants to win....but everyone loses and few are willing to work hard enough to get it...goals and visions get you through the lean times and give the dept a greater sense of purpose. For the first time in my lifetime, Pitt is setting its sights on tangible goals in addition to W's.

3. I am impressed that Barnes had to beat out a list of other qualfied candidates and that he wanted the job....he is young enough to be hungry and experienced and successful enough to know how to get his food.

4. The days of lifetime jobs in the Pitt ADepartment are gone. Even under SP, many aspects were being contracted to 3rd parties...no coach of a program that is losing should sleep well the next few weeks....it may not be their fault if success has eluded them, but Barnes is going to remove those barriers soon.

5. Worry about what you can control and react quickly to those you can't....words to that effect were uttered during the press conference yesterday....I read between the lines that conference turmoil is on the horizon.

6. I will argue that if the Barnes hire is as good as I think, it will surpass the 1976 NC in terms of true significance for the university and those who bleed Pitt blue and gold!

Well, I'm sensing most outsiders are viewing this and the Narduzzi hire as very credible for Pitt.
Even more so than Chyst.
So its a good start.

Reactions: OriginalEther
Well, I'm sensing most outsiders are viewing this and the Narduzzi hire as very credible for Pitt.
Even more so than Chyst.
So its a good start.
I think that for the first time in over thirty years Pitt has the same mindset for the football program at three levels. The Chancellor, AD and Head Football Coach all want the same thing and seem to have the same vision and mindset as to how to go about doing it. The last time that was the case was with Posvar, Caz, and Majors I/Sherrill.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Frankly, the mindset hasn't been the issue, the execution has been.

The execution is to be seen, and frankly.. The ad didn't hire either major coaches... So that is a non starter.

I think that for the first time in over thirty years Pitt has the same mindset for the football program at three levels. The Chancellor, AD and Head Football Coach all want the same thing and seem to have the same vision and mindset as to how to go about doing it. The last time that was the case was with Posvar, Caz, and Majors I/Sherrill.

Yep, the results remain to be seen, but haven't seen much of anything negative regarding either of these hires from credible people outside of message board world. Like you said, for an AD or fb coach here, you have to go back to Sherrill. Again, its a promising start.

The execution is to be seen, and frankly.. The ad didn't hire either major coaches... So that is a non starter.
The mindset was definitely the issue--there was no real vision and real goals---just a lot of hope

Really? Care to enumerate the differences in goals an visions... And I mean with real information, and data; not simply stating a personal opinion as fact or throwing out crazy, made up numbers with no context.

Don't worry, I know that is impossible for you.

Really? Care to enumerate the differences in goals an visions... And I mean with real information, and data; not simply stating a personal opinion as fact or throwing out crazy, made up numbers with no context.

Don't worry, I know that is impossible for you.
Hope springs eternal, Paco. I think Pitt gains here by Barnes coming in....addition by subtraction. But no one should expect much budgetary expansion......change will be earned, not enacted by fiat.
The key will be Narduzzi proving his worth, and Barnes leveraging it properly.
One thing's for sure, we've got the tallest Chancellor/A.D. combo anywhere.

DITTO, TIGER-PAUL NAILS IT!

I can remember clearly when the Big East blew up....our esteemed chancellor stating..."we thought we could coast for a while".....

If that is NOT a mindset of accepting pedestrian results, I'm not sure there can be a better example put forth.

The mindset has been the issue...but to be fair.....it goes both ways. Pitt fans have become programmed (mindset) to accept mediocrity as much if not more than the University's administration which has delivered precious little except.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT