ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt drops to # 8 after beating Ga Tech

Just saw this, I have no idea how this makes any sense. They beat a top 15 team and then the other game was a sweep. I'm annoyed

Just saw this, I have no idea how this makes any sense. They beat a top 15 team and then the other game was a sweep. I'm annoyed
Here's my two cents on this. I thought Texas was going to leapfrog us last week when they beat #9 BYU twice. This past week they beat #17 Kansas twice.....so....4 straight wins over 2 top 20 teams in 2 weeks. They are also the reigning NCAA champion from last year...so they're getting some 'extra' credit so to speak for that. Finally the switcheroo with Texas in this week's poll was by a pretty small margin....just 8 points. We will pull ahead of both Louisville and Texas next week if we beat Louisville and Notre Dame....irrespective of what Texas does who plays Houston. Bottom line....just win baby!

Here's my two cents on this. I thought Texas was going to leapfrog us last week when they beat #9 BYU twice. This past week they beat #17 Kansas twice.....so....4 straight wins over 2 top 20 teams in 2 weeks. They are also the reigning NCAA champion from last year...so they're getting some 'extra' credit so to speak for that. Finally the switcheroo with Texas in this week's poll was by a pretty small margin....just 8 points. We will pull ahead of both Louisville and Texas next week if we beat Louisville and Notre Dame....irrespective of what Texas does who plays Houston. Bottom line....just win baby!

One more thing and on a positive note....our RPI moved from 14 to 10.

RANKSCHOOLCONFERENCERECORDROADNEUTRALHOMENON DIV I
1WisconsinBig Ten15-08-02-05-00-0
2StanfordPac-1213-29-00-04-20-0
3NebraskaBig Ten15-06-00-09-00-0
4TexasBig 1211-33-11-07-20-0
5Washington St.Pac-1215-25-12-08-10-0
6FloridaSEC12-35-01-06-30-0
7ArkansasSEC15-23-04-08-20-0
8OregonPac-1215-27-06-12-10-0
9LouisvilleACC14-25-12-07-10-0
10PittsburghACC15-26-01-18-10-0

The other thing is that Pitt actually got more points this week than they did last week. Pitt went from 1182 points to 1205 points. Texas went from 1170 points to 1213 points. So it wasn't really a matter of Pitt falling, it was a matter of Texas rising faster.

Reactions: vantheman1976
One more thing and on a positive note....our RPI moved from 14 to 10.

RANKSCHOOLCONFERENCERECORDROADNEUTRALHOMENON DIV I
1WisconsinBig Ten15-08-02-05-00-0
2StanfordPac-1213-29-00-04-20-0
3NebraskaBig Ten15-06-00-09-00-0
4TexasBig 1211-33-11-07-20-0
5Washington St.Pac-1215-25-12-08-10-0
6FloridaSEC12-35-01-06-30-0
7ArkansasSEC15-23-04-08-20-0
8OregonPac-1215-27-06-12-10-0
9LouisvilleACC14-25-12-07-10-0
10PittsburghACC15-26-01-18-10-0
And , volleymag does a projected RPI and PItt is up to 4 in their projections

Here’s the thing that annoys me about Texas - somehow this year they have all 6 of their toughest conference matchups at home. BYU, Kansas, and Baylor all have to play @ Texas twice! So they could very well run the table in the Big 12 because of that and grab the last 1 seed if Pitt and Louisville split, which is super annoying

Here’s the thing that annoys me about Texas - somehow this year they have all 6 of their toughest conference matchups at home. BYU, Kansas, and Baylor all have to play @ Texas twice! So they could very well run the table in the Big 12 because of that and grab the last 1 seed if Pitt and Louisville split, which is super annoying
There’s an unlikely but plausible situation where Stanford, Texas, and either Pitt/Louisville all run the table and one of them isn’t going to get a 1 seed and unfortunately I worry it would be the ACC team. Is that likely? No, because pitt and Louisville split almost every year. But it’s possible

There’s an unlikely but plausible situation where Stanford, Texas, and either Pitt/Louisville all run the table and one of them isn’t going to get a 1 seed and unfortunately I worry it would be the ACC team. Is that likely? No, because pitt and Louisville split almost every year. But it’s possible
Pitt could run the table and still not get a #1 seed just because the volleyball world is convinced that Wisconsin and Nebraska are the two best teams in the country. That may well be the case but Pitt doesn't play in the B1G so that's an automatic negative. Texas will always get the nod ahead of the ACC and Stanford will get all the love out west.

Reactions: Chaos
I was surprised it took that long for Texas to jump Pitt in the standings. Look, Kansas is good but they're not nearly as good as GaTech. SEC is looking more and more like it's just overrated but they keep getting ranked teams. I mean, Kentucky moved up a spot?!

Pitt could run the table and still not get a #1 seed just because the volleyball world is convinced that Wisconsin and Nebraska are the two best teams in the country. That may well be the case but Pitt doesn't play in the B1G so that's an automatic negative. Texas will always get the nod ahead of the ACC and Stanford will get all the love out west.
The argument for Pitt over Texas in this theoretical scenario should be fairly straightforward - Pitt would have four top 15 wins (L’Ville twice and GT twice, home and road) and Texas would only have two, both at home (BYU). Plus Texas would have 3 losses to Pitt’s 2, and one unranked loss (Long Beach State) to Pitt’s 0. That seems a pretty good argument for Pitt to pass Texas for the fourth 1 seed. Again, this is all theoretical. Pitt just has to win

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
The argument for Pitt over Texas in this theoretical scenario should be fairly straightforward - Pitt would have four top 15 wins (L’Ville twice and GT twice, home and road) and Texas would only have two, both at home (BYU). Plus Texas would have 3 losses to Pitt’s 2, and one unranked loss (Long Beach State) to Pitt’s 0. That seems a pretty good argument for Pitt to pass Texas for the fourth 1 seed. Again, this is all theoretical. Pitt just has to win
@chrisran24....."Pitt just has to win"........bulls eye! But @pittdan77 makes a good point ...."Pitt doesn't play in the B1G so that's an automatic negative. Texas will always get the nod ahead of the ACC and Stanford will get all the love out west". I want to believe that if Pitt runs the table in their next 12 games and wins the ACC.....we will be a top 4 seed 🙏

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT