ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt moves up to #7 after losing to Louisville

Yep. Now I am completely confused.

And on top of that our RPI also moved up....10th to 8th. Oregon took a big hit losing to Arizona State at home 3 sets to 0. At best I thought we would stay at #8. I did not expect to see us move up to #7. Still lots of volleyball to play.

The Louisville match is the worst I have seen Pitt look.

I have only been following the team 3 or 4 years.

But similar, except opposite, to last week, we moved up a spot but lost ranking points. Last week we moved down a spot while gaining ranking points. That's the way it works sometimes.

As to RPI, that's (one of) the problem with RPI. There are absolutely times that just playing a match will make your ranking go up, even if you lose, and conversely times that your RPI will go down by playing a match, no matter the score. There are teams that Pitt could beat 25-0, 25-0, 25-0 that would cause Pitt's RPI to go down. On the other hand, there are teams that Pitt could lose to 25-0, 25-0, 25-0 that would cause Pitt's RPI to go up (although there probably aren't more than a couple of them). And that just doesn't make any sense.

But similar, except opposite, to last week, we moved up a spot but lost ranking points. Last week we moved down a spot while gaining ranking points. That's the way it works sometimes.

As to RPI, that's (one of) the problem with RPI. There are absolutely times that just playing a match will make your ranking go up, even if you lose, and conversely times that your RPI will go down by playing a match, no matter the score. There are teams that Pitt could beat 25-0, 25-0, 25-0 that would cause Pitt's RPI to go down. On the other hand, there are teams that Pitt could lose to 25-0, 25-0, 25-0 that would cause Pitt's RPI to go up (although there probably aren't more than a couple of them). And that just doesn't make any sense.
I think you are correct with these 2 extremes....but over a long season (i.e. 30 games) it seems logical that the RPI should give some semblance of a team's overall performance or rating. Certainly not a perfect metric I agree.

I think you are correct with these 2 extremes....but over a long season (i.e. 30 games) it seems logical that the RPI should give some semblance of a team's overall performance or rating. Certainly not a perfect metric I agree.

Some semblance? Sure.

Shouldn't they be trying for something better than just "some semblance"?

Basketball did away with it because they finally came to the conclusion that "some semblance" wasn't good enough. Eventually all the other sports will as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT