ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt @ Wake Game Thread

This about sums it up

Goodnight
51Dv4Ut46kL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Yea, I think Wake has maybe the 3rd best talent in the league. Like that Marsh dude off the bench seems better to me than Fede or GDG. Efton Reid looks like Fede's dad. And NET is one of the 10 things wrong with America. I wished Trump or Biden would campaign on changing it.
Biden would either think you were talking about the 1996 movie starring Sandra Bullock or the the thing Al Gore invented

Yea the NET is gonna drop prob down to 59 or 60 after this loss. Gonna really need to bounce back against Virginia Tech at home Saturday and win at Clemson next Tuesday. A 30 point loss in such a critical game is not gonna help Pitt in the brackets the next few days.

We'll have to win out or only lose one more game the rest of the way in order to be on the bubble. And our wins will need to be blowouts. No getting around that now. An embarrassing loss like this will not look good in the final analysis.

Its really stupid that these 2 teams have to play their starters in a 30 point game with 4 minutes left but Joe loves the NET.

Joe understands the NET, which is more than you can say.

It's measuring exactly what the NCAA wants it to measure. If you don't want the last five minutes of a game like this to count, end the game and send everyone home early.

The good news is that the NCAA still does not select the teams for the tournament based on their NET and they still don't seed the teams for the tournament based on their NET, so we have that going for us.

Just like we did last year.

Yea, I think Wake has maybe the 3rd best talent in the league. Like that Marsh dude off the bench seems better to me than Fede or GDG. Efton Reid looks like Fede's dad. And NET is one of the 10 things wrong with America. I wished Trump or Biden would campaign on changing it.
They're just a completely different team at home.

Hopefully just a bad night. We are not back to Stallings ball. That said, I do believe we effectively excluded ourself from the NCAA Tournament. I will settle for a trip to the NIT, hopefully.

Maybe I should rephrase that. We're playing like we used to under Stallings. That's when 30 point losses happened. Sorry.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
We still have to win at least 3 more games to be considered for the NIT. And the way we're playing now, that may not happen.

This is just a very poor performance in every way....defense, offense, rebounding, coaching, everything. We don't belong in the NCAAT or maybe not even in the NIT. When a middle of the pack ACC team beats a Pitt team that reads their press clippings too much and beats them by 30+, that Pitt team certainly isn't what we thought they were. We were outclassed, outhustled, outcoached, and outplayed on both sides of the floor. Pathetic.

We're back to Stallings ball.
Definitely a bad stinker of a game but sounds like your reaction is more than a little overboard.

It’s one game, we were due for an off-night whereas Wake was at home where they haven’t lost and needed a win after some close losses.

Bad game but it doesn’t mean we’re doomed and may not win 3 more because of how bad we’re playing.

Reactions: gary2
What NET means:

Lose by 6 = man that sucks, lets win Saturday and we're in good shape

Lose by 33 = NCAAT on life support. Need to be perfect now.

A loss is a loss. 1 loss shouldn't equal 2 or 3. This crap needs to stop.

Shocker,
Who said that in November when everyone told me he was a 1 and done?
It was pretty clear to anyone not wearing blue and gold glasses who watched him struggle against teams who had a pulse early in the year. He has some nice skills but he’s weak, his handle is poor and he can’t finish at the bucket. He really has limited ability to attack the lane He has a lot of work to do to even be close to being an nba player

What NET means:

The fact that you really think this means that not only do you not understand the NET, you also don't understand how teams are picked for the NCAA tournament.

What needs to stop is your constant bleating about something that you obviously don't understand.

It was pretty clear to anyone not wearing blue and gold glasses who watched him struggle against teams who had a pulse early in the year. He has some nice skills but he’s weak, his handle is poor and he can’t finish at the bucket. He really has limited ability to attack the lane He has a lot of work to do to even be close to being an nba player

He's still in the learning phase. He has a lot of work to do to be considered one of the better guards in the ACC. NBA isn't happening for at least a few years.

I don’t think this loss is as devastating as some claim. If they win out they are in and I think even even going 4-1 will get them in That’s a tall order for sure but not out of the question

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Probably lower, statistically speaking.

Clemson maybe 35%. NC State and VT something in the 50s.

VT 66%
Clem 29%
BC 56%
FSU 81%
NC St 76%

Chances of winning all 5? Maybe 10% was too high. 8%?

Bottom line. It's going to be EXTREMELY difficult to be going into the ACCT on the right side of the bubble because its going to require winning out. If go 4-1, we need to win 2 in DC. Maybe even 3 depending on what else happens like FAU or Dayton not winning their leagues.

I'm more concerned about the team not falling apart mentally and least playing tough down the stretch so that the important pieces are all back next season.

What NET means:

Losing by 33 points is definitely gonna drop Pitt in the NET by probably 10-15 spots. I’ll say they will drop to 59 or 60. But yea this won’t do Pitt any favors if it comes down to the committee having to put one of these teams in. So good news is this one is over now so Pitt has to move on and bounce back and win Saturday at home against Virginia Tech and at Clemson next week. So still have some opportunities to overcome this loss and I still think Pitt’s resume is still good enough and tournament worthy if they bounce back and win these last 5 games. They still have better quality wins especially on the road compared to other bubble teams.

VT 66%
Clem 29%
BC 56%
FSU 81%
NC St 76%

Chances of winning all 5? Maybe 10% was too high. 8%?

Bottom line. It's going to be EXTREMELY difficult to be going into the ACCT on the right side of the bubble because its going to require winning out. If go 4-1, we need to win 2 in DC. Maybe even 3 depending on what else happens like FAU or Dayton not winning their leagues.

6.59% according to what you just listed, but you're way too high on some of those, so I'd knock it down to like 5%.

The fact that you really think this means that not only do you not understand the NET, you also don't understand how teams are picked for the NCAA tournament.

What needs to stop is your constant bleating about something that you obviously don't understand.

Here we go. You know more than coaches and Josh Pastner apparently. Your NET is by far the most important metric.

Shocker,
Who said that in November when everyone told me he was a 1 and done?
Definitely not. Too many flaws in his game. Honestly, I wouldn't be too upset if he left. If this were 2004 and not 2024, I would never say that. We'd want a kid like him knowing he'd be very good as an upper classman. But I can easily see getting an upgrade through the portal over what Bub will be next year. And frankly, I think having guards who can't shoot the 3 adequately in this day and age is a liability.

Here we go. You know more than coaches and Josh Pastner apparently. Your NET is by far the most important metric.

YOU listed three things more important that our NET ranking the last two times you told us why we got in last year.

Without understanding what you were doing, of course.

If the NCAA picked teams for the tournament based on their NET rankings then we not only would not have gotten in last year, we wouldn't have even come close. Like not even on the bubble close. Like not even good enough to make the NIT close. The fact that you could see that, for a team that you pay so much attention to, and not have any understanding at all what it meant is kind of astounding.

Reactions: pittbb80
Lowe, Carrington, and Leggett are the most important pieces. Is there anyone else that is make or break?

Kante is someone you would want back, I would think. Then I assume you don't want to lose both GDG and Fede, though I would be disappointed if either got big minutes, and I don't think GDG is worth two scholarships.

What really chaps my ass is how afraid of contact he is. He is so conditioned to take all his shots falling away. I realize he is weak, but, when he drives he refuses to use his body to create contact and draw fouls. Instead, he does all he can to avoid contact and as a result throws up off balanced junk. This is something that can be coached out of him, it is just more of a mindset to go in there hard and not fear the contact. He has a good enough handle and all necessary ability to finish. He needs to get stronger and learn to use his body, no more avoidance of contact.

It’s a bad day at the office , nothing you can do about it other than forget about it and go back to work .

Kante is someone you would want back, I would think. Then I assume you don't want to lose both GDG and Fede, though I would be disappointed if either got big minutes, and I don't think GDG is worth two scholarships.
It’s tough to make a call on Kante because he never played in college and you never know how someone will respond to an injury.

Definitely not. Too many flaws in his game. Honestly, I wouldn't be too upset if he left. If this were 2004 and not 2024, I would never say that. We'd want a kid like him knowing he'd be very good as an upper classman. But I can easily see getting an upgrade through the portal over what Bub will be next year. And frankly, I think having guards who can't shoot the 3 adequately in this day and age is a liability.

Be careful with this. Sometimes players need a year or two to get comfortable before the 3s start falling a lot more consistently. Bub was a really good shooter in high school and in the EYBL.

Ill give you 3 examples.

Nate Santos who has been on fire this year and was a strong shooter in high school. He had an nasty acl tear in high school. It took him until his junior year at Dayton to catch fire.

Lamar Patterson who struggled his first few years shooting at Pitt and became a really good shooter. He also was a really good shooter in high school.

Cam Johnson is another one that didn't light the world on fire from 3 his freshmen season. After being a star at North Carolina, he is in the NBA.

Tray Woodall is actually a 4th example. He really struggled early on and was pushing I think around 40% from 3 as an upperclassmen.

Holy Schlitt, someone finally came around to what I’ve said about GDG for 2 years!

I said the same about him a month and a half ago... he'd be okay to have on the roster as a 10ish minute per game 5, but the expense of two scholarships is a bit high.

But I guess it might depend on what Capel thinks they add to the culture, in conjunction with what Fede, Barnes, Jeffres, etc. do. We'll already be wasting one on a redshirt next season.

I'm just going by what Vader said, which is that he will be the next Shaq.

He looks a bit frail to me, but we'll see. Couldn't be worse than what we have.

We are starting 2 freshmen guards, are down to 8 scholarship players, and we sit in 5th place in the ACC right now with a chance for a tournament bid.

Id say we are doing ok here.

Reactions: gary2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT