ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Wrestling Program ..... some thoughts ......

bwh05 ....... since we discussed before that a new wrestling coach may be hired mid to late March and a new AD likely won't be hired until March, do you think Randy Juhl or the new AD will make the wrestling coach hire ...... would like to see a new coach hired in March as I think the LOI day is in April and the new coach may bring in some wrestlers (I don't know though if we have any scholarships left for the April LOI day as we signed a bunch of wrestlers in the Nov early signing period) .....

Also, are you hearing about any really good candidates who are applying for the position (don't expect you to name anyone specifically, just asking if there is high interest in the position from really good candidates ?)..... I'm hoping Terry Brands is interested and that we have reciprocal interest ..... I'm probably dreaming.

There's currently a small committee formed that's looking at candidates. From what I understand, there's huge interest locally and nationally (which isn't surprising). Randy is a fantastic guy, and I think he will weigh in, but I believe the Chancellor will also have input. My understanding is he feels we can an opportunity to gain ground in wrestling with the right coach.

I've heard a bunch of names of guys, some good, some not so good that have inquired. I don't want to list a start any rumors by listing them on here since this is a public forum and some of them may not want it out in the open. I feel like things will turn out well for Pitt.

Reactions: mehinpgh
I've heard a bunch of names of guys, some good, some not so good that have inquired. I don't want to list a start any rumors by listing them on here since this is a public forum and some of them may not want it out in the open. I feel like things will turn out well for Pitt.

I've heard 2 names and would be happy with either guy.

Reactions: cabe23
There's currently a small committee formed that's looking at candidates. From what I understand, there's huge interest locally and nationally (which isn't surprising). Randy is a fantastic guy, and I think he will weigh in, but I believe the Chancellor will also have input. My understanding is he feels we can an opportunity to gain ground in wrestling with the right coach.

Sounds optimistic, thanks for the reply, bwh05 ...... you have added a lot of inside info to the Olympic Board over the years, much appreciated !

Also, I hope the committee reaches out to some higher profile type candidates who may not have applied yet to gage their interest.

I've heard 2 names and would be happy with either guy.

Are these guys who you think could turn us into a top 5-10 type program (of course if given the appropriate backing by the university)?

If Vtech can go from a team hovering in the 20s and 30s to a top 5 team in just a few short years, there is no way Pitt cannot be considered an easy candidate to step it up into this stratosphere with the WPIAL in our backyard and a rock solid coaching hire.

Why are u guys scared to post names that u heard? Isn't that the point of the discussion board?

It's a two-fold equation. Yes, the NAME resonates with recruits in wrestling in a big way.

But, stop me if you've heard this before, Pitt is going to have to sink a lot of money in to facilities upgrades as well in order to attract the best, and that's a little more difficult than just making it rain on a new head coach. Because there isn't much space to work with, and you aren't going to upgrade a men's sport without also upgrading something for a women's sport.

Salary for a head coach, and money for his assistants is likely the only thing you can sell right now. No matter what Pitt does to it's facilities it's going to trail behind the competition in terms of luxury accomodations for it's athletes.

Here is a long interview with Terry Brands where the interviewer asked Terry a number of questions ....... one was about Iowa recruiting including in Pa.(about the 34 min mark) and another was to gauge his interest in being a head coach (about the 54 min mark).

See link ..... http://s200.trackwrestling.com/tw/P...twSessionId=awzhskinzsrmihn&videoId=262353076
Well Brands says it right where you said it would be. How do they recruit PA so well.....Jody Strittmatter....I know he's an IA alum, but darn if Pitt could SOMEHOW hire Terry Brands, maybe Stritt would be his assistant and Pitt may actually get and develop some good recruits.

Well Brands says it right where you said it would be. How do they recruit PA so well.....Jody Strittmatter....I know he's an IA alum, but darn if Pitt could SOMEHOW hire Terry Brands, maybe Stritt would be his assistant and Pitt may actually get and develop some good recruits.

Brands as HC, Strittmatter as associate HC, and a couple young assistants as wrestling partners/coaches (one paid and one volunteer) would be fantastic ..... probably a dream more then reality but we can always dream ..... maybe what "Nish67" is trying to organize regarding donations directed toward wrestling may help ..... maybe a dream could come true .... let's hope !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT