ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt's Voytik To Learn From The Pros At Manning Passing Academy, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
Pitt's Voytik to learn from the pros at Manning Passing Academy
Pitt's Chad Voytik wants to know everything about playing quarterback — even the bad stuff associated with being a leader on the field. That's why he's excited about getting an invitation to the Manning Passing Academy on July 9-12 at Nicholls State University in Thibodaux, La. He'll serve under and learn from owners and camp counselors Peyton and Eli Manning.

Voytik, who is entering his second season as Pitt's starter, received an invitation through his trainer Nate Bandy, who also is Peyton Manning's trainer. Voytik, who has worked with Bandy since middle school in Cleveland, Tenn., is especially interested to learn the Manning way of dealing with teammates.

“(Bandy) said he's not a nice guy when he's around his receivers,” Voytik said, “because he demands perfection. I took that to heart. “I don't want to be a mean guy to my guys, but I want to find a happy medium where if they mess it up, they need to know about it.”

Bandy recommended Voytik for the camp and sent video of the Pitt quarterback to Manning. The invitation followed. Voytik will join several other college quarterbacks, who will help train the younger athletes in attendance while being trained by the pros.

Voytik said he has learned a Manning technique designed to increase passing accuracy. While training, Manning shoves a towel under his left arm “to keep everything compact,” Voytik said. Voytik hopes the techniques can improve his completion percentage, a 61.3 mark in 2014.

Meanwhile, Voytik is working out five days a week with Pitt's other quarterbacks and wide receivers. He said he's throwing more than in previous summers. “I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life,” said Voytik, who has gained 5 pounds to 215. “I like to go into camp a little heavier because there are so many calories being burned.

“Attendance has been really good. This is the best summer, by far, (based on) the amount of work we put in. Being out there every day just gets you more and more antsy for the season to put it to the test.”

Voytik improved markedly last season, throwing only one interception in the final six games. That's why he enters this season with a different mindset. “Just a sense of relief as far as knowing that I can do it,” he said. “All I had last year going into the summer was the (2013) bowl game.

“This year, knowing I've played a whole season and I can handle that workload, it's reassuring. Now it's more, ‘I don't want to just survive. I want to strive to be better.'

“I started just not wanting to mess things up. Then, all of a sudden, it's, ‘Let's go win it.' I want to be the one that wins the game.”

Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at jdipaola@tribweb.com or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib. Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/8638617-74/voytik-manning-pitt#ixzz3eF661rkh
dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Pitt's Voytik to learn from the pros at Manning Passing Academy
Pitt's Chad Voytik wants to know everything about playing quarterback — even the bad stuff associated with being a leader on the field. That's why he's excited about getting an invitation to the Manning Passing Academy on July 9-12 at Nicholls State University in Thibodaux, La. He'll serve under and learn from owners and camp counselors Peyton and Eli Manning.

Voytik, who is entering his second season as Pitt's starter, received an invitation through his trainer Nate Bandy, who also is Peyton Manning's trainer. Voytik, who has worked with Bandy since middle school in Cleveland, Tenn., is especially interested to learn the Manning way of dealing with teammates.

“(Bandy) said he's not a nice guy when he's around his receivers,” Voytik said, “because he demands perfection. I took that to heart. “I don't want to be a mean guy to my guys, but I want to find a happy medium where if they mess it up, they need to know about it.”

Bandy recommended Voytik for the camp and sent video of the Pitt quarterback to Manning. The invitation followed. Voytik will join several other college quarterbacks, who will help train the younger athletes in attendance while being trained by the pros.

Voytik said he has learned a Manning technique designed to increase passing accuracy. While training, Manning shoves a towel under his left arm “to keep everything compact,” Voytik said. Voytik hopes the techniques can improve his completion percentage, a 61.3 mark in 2014.

Meanwhile, Voytik is working out five days a week with Pitt's other quarterbacks and wide receivers. He said he's throwing more than in previous summers. “I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life,” said Voytik, who has gained 5 pounds to 215. “I like to go into camp a little heavier because there are so many calories being burned.

“Attendance has been really good. This is the best summer, by far, (based on) the amount of work we put in. Being out there every day just gets you more and more antsy for the season to put it to the test.”

Voytik improved markedly last season, throwing only one interception in the final six games. That's why he enters this season with a different mindset. “Just a sense of relief as far as knowing that I can do it,” he said. “All I had last year going into the summer was the (2013) bowl game.

“This year, knowing I've played a whole season and I can handle that workload, it's reassuring. Now it's more, ‘I don't want to just survive. I want to strive to be better.'

“I started just not wanting to mess things up. Then, all of a sudden, it's, ‘Let's go win it.' I want to be the one that wins the game.”

Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at jdipaola@tribweb.com or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib. Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/8638617-74/voytik-manning-pitt#ixzz3eF661rkh
dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Always a bonus !

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT